Nov. 19 *at Western Illinois TBA
*–Missouri Valley Football Conference games

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
St. Francis? That could get ugly.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM

It replaces the Georgia Southern game that was bought out by the Eagles.

danefan
December 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Should be but, Cal Poly thought the same thing this year as well.

Gil Dobie
December 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Should be but, Cal Poly thought the same thing this year as well.

NDSU is not Cal Poly ;)

slostang
December 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM
NDSU is not Cal Poly ;)

Easy Gil. :)

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
It replaces the Georgia Southern game that was bought out by the Eagles.

I was sure that was the key to GSU getting back in the playoffs, I had no idea we'd make it this season!

I'm honestly a little sad we are not going to play NDSU but I'm looking forward to blowing out the blue hose at home.

darell1976
December 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
NORTH DAKOTA STATE 2011 Schedule
(0-0, 0-0 Valley Football)
DATE OPPONENT TIME
Sept. 3 LAFAYETTE TBA
Sept. 10 SAINT FRANCIS (PA) TBA
Sept. 24 at Minnesota TBA
Oct. 1 *ILLINOIS STATE (HOMECOMING) TBA
Oct. 8 *at Southern Illinois TBA
Oct. 15 *MISSOURI STATE TBA
Oct. 22 *at South Dakota State(Dakota Marker) TBA
Oct. 29 *NORTHERN IOWA TBA
Nov. 5 *at Indiana State TBA
Nov. 12 *YOUNGSTOWN STATE(Harvest Bowl) TBA

I am surprised Minnesota hasn't bought out this game, I mean do they need another loss to a Dakota team.

TonkaBison
December 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Don't forget our record against Jerry Kill. I believe he was coaching Emporia State when we lost to them and I know he was at Southern Illinois when they broke Steve Walker's leg and we lost. Incompetence no longer reigns at Minnesota. Best thing for us is Brewster left him a real mess to clean up. Other than that I like how you think!

eaglewraith
December 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm honestly a little sad we are not going to play NDSU but I'm looking forward to blowing out the blue hose at home.

So to speak

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2010, 10:44 PM
The game against Lafayette will be very interesting. The 'Pards will be better the question is how much.

downbythebeach
December 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Saint Francis sometimes gives the power teams a bit of a surprise......we just need to pull one out

JBB
December 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
This is an exceptional schedule for The NDSU BISON and their fans. Nobody but a big fat fool could criticize it.

Its going to make money. Its going to make friends from back east. Its going to provide 6 wonderful home games where all BISON fans, in their own way can congregate, party and cheer on The HERD.

"The Party" at the Fabulous Fargo Dome was epic this year!!

When that Party is in full gear it completely occupies a 10 block area around the Prestigious Facility. Who knows what it will be like next year? Its never been the same for me. It's always been great.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM
I like it. A couple very winnable but not total pushover OOC games at home to start the season, and then a challenging FBS opponent where you actually have a shot could give the Bison some nice momentum going into conference play.

ngineer
December 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
Tough opener for Lafayette on the road. Their offense needs a real spark and offense is usually 'behind' the defense early in the year; plus, I would expect LC could be having another QB 'controversy' again early on.

Poly's Brutality
December 22nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Saint Francis sometimes gives the power teams a bit of a surprise......we just need to pull one out

Maybe the BEST QB we saw all year, was fun to watch him. That team will be better next year, for sure, coaching good too. xsmileyclapx

JBB
December 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
When do you think Cal Poly will return to the top venue in the Dakotas? Playing the small halls is tough. Are you guys up to the task of the big stage? That's looking ahead of course, but the 2011 schedule is bound to lead to speculation about the out years.

MplsBison
December 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I for one would very much prefer Cal Poly to stay off NDSU's schedules until they stop trying to be so unique in their schemes.

It doesn't do the team any good to take a whole week of practice to prepare for some loo-loo scheme that they'll never see again the rest of the year.

GSU Eagle
December 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I know the NDSU people are probably mad to some degree at GSU for paying the $60,000 to get out of the game, but from the GSU perspective it was a good move.

The last 2 years we have only had 5 home games. I am of the opinion that we should have 6 home games almost every year. If you are drawing 19-20 thousand for home games, it does not make sense to not play 6 home games. I know when Paul Johnson was here we had 6 home games for almost all of his 5 years here. Jeff Monken is off the Johnson tree. I believe he also wants 6 home games every year or almost every year.

If we are going to play 1 money game each year (next year we play at Alabama) that leaves us 10 games. We have 4 home and 4 away in conference each year. So we need to play the other 2 at home.

JSUBison
December 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I know the NDSU people are probably mad to some degree at GSU for paying the $60,000 to get out of the game, but from the GSU perspective it was a good move.

The last 2 years we have only had 5 home games. I am of the opinion that we should have 6 home games almost every year. If you are drawing 19-20 thousand for home games, it does not make sense to not play 6 home games. I know when Paul Johnson was here we had 6 home games for almost all of his 5 years here. Jeff Monken is off the Johnson tree. I believe he also wants 6 home games every year or almost every year.

If we are going to play 1 money game each year (next year we play at Alabama) that leaves us 10 games. We have 4 home and 4 away in conference each year. So we need to play the other 2 at home.

Dissapointed, yes. Mad? Not me. We were really looking forward to the game, but it's understandable that GSU would want an extra home game. NDSU likes to schedule 6 home games as well. But you have to admit this had Game of the Week written all over it!

emilimo701
December 24th, 2010, 11:07 PM
DATE OPPONENT TIME
Sept. 3 LAFAYETTE TBA
Sept. 10 SAINT FRANCIS (PA) TBA
Sept. 24 at Minnesota TBA
Oct. 1 *ILLINOIS STATE (HOMECOMING) TBA
Oct. 8 *at Southern Illinois TBA
Oct. 15 *MISSOURI STATE TBA
Oct. 22 *at South Dakota State(Dakota Marker) TBA
Oct. 29 *NORTHERN IOWA TBA
Nov. 5 *at Indiana State TBA
Nov. 12 *YOUNGSTOWN STATE(Harvest Bowl) TBA

Bison are probably licking their chops for potential win @ Minnesota

DJKyR0
December 24th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Bison are probably licking their chops for potential win @ Minnesota

You know it!

DJKyR0
December 24th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Dissapointed, yes. Mad? Not me. We were really looking forward to the game, but it's understandable that GSU would want an extra home game. NDSU likes to schedule 6 home games as well. But you have to admit this had Game of the Week written all over it!

Probably two top-15 (if not top ten?!) teams headed into Week 1 next year.

slostang
December 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I for one would very much prefer Cal Poly to stay off NDSU's schedules until they stop trying to be so unique in their schemes.

It doesn't do the team any good to take a whole week of practice to prepare for some loo-loo scheme that they'll never see again the rest of the year.

I thought loo-loo would be just your thing. Cal Poly only runs loo-loo schemes on offense (if you call the triple option loo-loo). They run the 4-3 defense under Walsh, not Ellerson's Double Eagle Flex defense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Good schedule for next year. 6 home games should be the norm every year for NDSU.

Gopher game will be winnable but Kill will have them improved next year.

Potentially 3-0 by the time conference season starts.

GO BISON

MplsBison
December 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I thought loo-loo would be just your thing. Cal Poly only runs loo-loo schemes on offense (if you call the triple option loo-loo). They run the 4-3 defense under Walsh, not Ellerson's Double Eagle Flex defense.

That defense was loo-loo. I think even a fan of Cal Poly can admit that now that you have a real defensive scheme.

I don't consider the triple option as bad as having to prepare for that defense, for the sole reason that a few teams do run that now. But it's still no where near as prevalent as the spread and pro style offenses that most teams run in the FCS.

There's really no advantage to running a triple option at the FCS level. There's too much speed everywhere on the field, it neutralizes the scheme.

darell1976
December 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Good schedule for next year. 6 home games should be the norm every year for NDSU.

Gopher game will be winnable but Kill will have them improved next year.

Potentially 3-0 by the time conference season starts.

GO BISON

6 home games should be the norm for every school.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
6 home games should be the norm for every school.

Not every FCS school can do it.

darell1976
December 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Not every FCS school can do it.

I know but it would be nice. Maybe if they made a 12 game schedule we could have a 6 home, and 6 away every year...like the NFL that has 8 home and 8 away.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I know but it would be nice. Maybe if they made a 12 game schedule we could have a 6 home, and 6 away every year...like the NFL that has 8 home and 8 away.

When UND gets into the Big Sky next year, I'm sure their schedule will be the same as the Bison's. 8 conference games, FBS game and 2 ooc games at home, or at least one home game.

It would be nice to have the Sioux on the schedule but that would mean we would have to go to the Alerus every other year and I prefer 6 home games/year. Maybe in a 12 game year the Bison could go to the Alerus and still have 6 home games.....but having a bye during the season is also benefical.

We'll see what GT and Fiason do with this.

gjw007
December 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM
When UND gets into the Big Sky next year, I'm sure their schedule will be the same as the Bison's. 8 conference games, FBS game and 2 ooc games at home, or at least one home game.

It would be nice to have the Sioux on the schedule but that would mean we would have to go to the Alerus every other year and I prefer 6 home games/year. Maybe in a 12 game year the Bison could go to the Alerus and still have 6 home games.....but having a bye during the season is also benefical.

We'll see what GT and Fiason do with this.

If making a profit is the issue, maybe UND and NDSU can arrange a yearly meeting, but split the profits/costs from each venue making it so that each team has a profit from each game whether played in Grand Forks or in Fargo. I would have a hard time seeing that the game wouldn't be a sellout and the cost of transportation from Grand Forks to Fargo is not significant when compared to other travel costs.

JSUBison
December 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
If making a profit is the issue, maybe UND and NDSU can arrange a yearly meeting, but split the profits/costs from each venue making it so that each team has a profit from each game whether played in Grand Forks or in Fargo. I would have a hard time seeing that the game wouldn't be a sellout and the cost of transportation from Grand Forks to Fargo is not significant when compared to other travel costs.

Excellent idea! NDSU will subsidize UND's football program. xbangx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Excellent idea! NDSU will subsidize UND's football program. xbangx

Agreed, not a good idea.

I think the game will be too difficult to schedule every year. GT could do a 2-1, with a game in the Alerus during a 12 game season.....

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Agreed, not a good idea.

I think the game will be too difficult to schedule every year. GT could do a 2-1, with a game in the Alerus during a 12 game season.....

What years is the 12 game seasons?

superman7515
December 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
NCAA Bylaw 17.11.5.1 Maximum Limitations -- Institutional FBS/FCS

In bowl subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 12 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. In championship subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 11 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. Twelve football contests shall be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November (2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019). (Revised: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/02, 8/5/99 effective 8/1/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
NCAA Bylaw 17.11.5.1 Maximum Limitations -- Institutional FBS/FCS

In bowl subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 12 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. In championship subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 11 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.31.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. Twelve football contests shall be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November (2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019). (Revised: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/02, 8/5/99 effective 8/1/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

Sioux vs Bison. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
December 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Sioux vs Bison. xthumbsupx

Agreed.

If Taylor somehow manages to prevent the home/home from being played in 2013/2014 because of his personal feelings, he should be fired. Thankfully, the other three out of four seats at the table (NDSU president, UND president and UND AD) have no personal experience with the old rivalry and have enough business savvy to recognize what a fantastic business opportunity the football rivalry represents for both schools and the state.

Only a very small minority of UND and NDSU alumni don't want the games and only for personal reasons. (unfortunately and sadly, this small minority is a disproportionate and faux-representative majority of message board fans) None of them have every been able to present anything close to a logical argument against the football game.

The vast majority either don't have an opinion or want the game.

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Agreed.

If Taylor somehow manages to prevent the home/home from being played in 2013/2014 because of his personal feelings, he should be fired. Thankfully, the other three out of four seats at the table (NDSU president, UND president and UND AD) have no personal experience with the old rivalry and have enough business savvy to recognize what a fantastic business opportunity the football rivalry represents for both schools and the state.

Only a very small minority of UND and NDSU alumni don't want the games and only for personal reasons. (unfortunately and sadly, this small minority is a disproportionate and faux-representative majority of message board fans) None of them have every been able to present anything close to a logical argument against the football game.

I just hope Faison realized he jumped the gun with the every year plan (of course this was done with a GWFC schedule) now with 1 year of Big Sky under his belt(2012), 2013 would be perfect, but when are schedules done in advanced? Does the AD hit the phones to finalize games year by year or 2 years in advance. I guess I don't know how that works.

Twentysix
December 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I just hope Faison realized he jumped the gun with the every year plan (of course this was done with a GWFC schedule) now with 1 year of Big Sky under his belt(2012), 2013 would be perfect, but when are schedules done in advanced? Does the AD hit the phones to finalize games year by year or 2 years in advance. I guess I don't know how that works.

I think that our OOC schedules are in the works for the next 4 or 5 years, but usually one game is finished the year before, So if bison sioux were to be something that happens in 2013, talks would begin next year at the latest.

We have atleast one OOC game scheduled already for every single year until 2015-2016
Some of those years EX. 2014-2015 we have 3 OOC games already scheduled.
2014-2015
Sat, Aug 30 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 06 Montana Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota Fargo, N.D. TBA (obviously this ones becoming a conference game, doesnt change the point)

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I think that our OOC schedules are in the works for the next 4 or 5 years, but usually one game is finished the year before, So if bison sioux were to be something that happens in 2013, talks would begin next year at the latest.

Thanks Twentysix. I didn't know if was a year by year or many years out. I would imagine they would like to try to complete a schedule for the next 4 or 5 years so it would be 1 less thing to worry about. I think with NDSU in the playoffs teams would want to play them more, to up their SOS. All I know is for sure there was playoff fever here and it should continue in 2011.

Twentysix
December 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sat, Sep 05 Montana at Missoula, Mont. TBA (Big Sky)
Sat, Aug 30 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa TBA (Big XII)
Sat, Sep 06 Montana Fargo, N.D. TBA (Big Sky)
Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota Fargo, N.D. TBA (Missouri Valley, originally scheduled as OOC)
Sat, Sep 07 Montana State Fargo, N.D. TBA (Big Sky)
Sat, Oct 12 South Dakota at Vermillion, S.D. TBA (Missouri Valley, originally scheduled as OOC)
Sat, Sep 08 Colorado State at Fort Collins, Colo. TBA (Mountain West Conference)
Sat, Sep 03 Lafayette Fargo, N.D. TBA (Patriot League)
Sat, Sep 10 Saint Francis (Pa.) Fargo, N.D. TBA (Northeast Conference)
Sat, Sep 24 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA (Big Ten)
---
Data from NDSU's offical athletic website.

Bolded FBS games Underlined BCS games.

MplsBison
December 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM

NDSU's official athletics website shows ten games on the schedule for 2013 and 11 games for 2014. That means in 2013 they can schedule two more games and in 2014 one more game. Scheduling the maximum number of games in a season is optional. Taylor did not schedule all 12 games the one year he's had that opportunity.

UND's official athletics website only shows one game scheduled for 2013 and nothing entered for 2014.

So the opportunity is there for 2013 and 2014 to do a home/home. Taylor will fight hard against it, but hopefully he will be outgunned by the presidents.

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
NDSU's official athletics website shows Montana St and South Dakota already on the schedule for 2013 (would this be a ninth conf game?) and Iowa St, Montana and South Dakota (again, ninth conf game?) for 2014. Regardless if USD counts as the ninth conf game or not, it still counts toward the max of 12 games. That means in 2013 they can schedule two more games and in 2014 one more game. Of course, it's compeltely optional to schedule the maximum number of games in a season. Taylor so far has not scheduled 12 games in the one year so far he's had the opportunity.

UND's official athletics website only shows 2013 as having Montana and nothing for 2014.

So the opportunity is there for 2013 and 2014 to do a home/home. Taylor will fight hard against it, but hopefully he will be outgunned by the presidents.

I think its 2013 South Dakota State returns to the Alerus Center on the other end of the home and home....By the looks of NDSU's schedule for the next 5 years GT has been a very busy bee.

MplsBison
December 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I think its 2013 South Dakota State returns to the Alerus Center on the other end of the home and home....By the looks of NDSU's schedule for the next 5 years GT has been a very busy bee.

With any luck, he won't be able to slither his way out of a UND home/home contract. But, looks like he's got his choice of excuses. He could claim that he only wants to schedule a max of 11 games or he wants to ensure 6 home games with an FBS money game or ... whatever.

swaghook
December 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Who's slithering out of anything? UND was made offers, UND turned them down. Why not stop worrying about it they will play again some day. Till that day comes just enjoy the competition our respective schools play, the rivalry is dead to the students only the alums seem to care anymore.

swaghook
December 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM
That defense was loo-loo. I think even a fan of Cal Poly can admit that now that you have a real defensive scheme.

There's really no advantage to running a triple option at the FCS level. There's too much speed everywhere on the field, it neutralizes the scheme.Any D that works for a team and the opposing team struggles against is a REAL Defense. More power to them if their Defense is formidable. And as to the Triple O it is a proven Offense one needs to look no further then Georgia Southern to know that. Seems to me the Bison had great success running option football as well.

darell1976
December 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Can anyone explain how the scheduling of conference games are going to work with the addition of USD?

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Any idea what kind of TV revenue could be earned from the game? I would hope statewide TV coverage with decent ratings and practically guaranteed sellout every other year is just as financially rewarding as hosting a team from outside the region every year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
With any luck, he won't be able to slither his way out of a UND home/home contract. But, looks like he's got his choice of excuses. He could claim that he only wants to schedule a max of 11 games or he wants to ensure 6 home games with an FBS money game or ... whatever.

Only in a 12 game season would I play UND on the road. Most Bison fans want 6 homes games and a 12 game season would be about the only opportunity to go to the Alerus.

I doubt GT will "slither" out of anything as you claim. He has offered Fiason games, when Georgia Southern backed out, so he has tried to schedule the game.

MplsBison
December 26th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Who's slithering out of anything? UND was made offers, UND turned them down. Why not stop worrying about it they will play again some day. Till that day comes just enjoy the competition our respective schools play, the rivalry is dead to the students only the alums seem to care anymore.

The old rivalry is dead, I agree.

It's way past due for the new rivalry to be started! xnodx

MplsBison
December 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Only in a 12 game season would I play UND on the road. Most Bison fans want 6 homes games and a 12 game season would be about the only opportunity to go to the Alerus.

I doubt GT will "slither" out of anything as you claim. He has offered Fiason games, when Georgia Southern backed out, so he has tried to schedule the game.

Ok fair enough. But it does seem that he's done everything in his considerable ability to *get out* of the game, rather than trying to schedule it.

SDSUAlum08
December 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM

We have atleast one OOC game scheduled already for every single year until 2015-2016
Some of those years EX. 2014-2015 we have 3 OOC games already scheduled.
2014-2015
Sat, Aug 30 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Sep 06 Montana Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota Fargo, N.D. TBA (obviously this ones becoming a conference game, doesnt change the point)

Chances Montana actually follows through and makes the trip?

DJKyR0
December 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Agreed.

Couldn't disagree more on two counts.

1). Gene Taylor. No way the guy that guided our university through DI with huge FBS wins in football, ranked wins in basketball, softball, volleyball and wrestling (not to mention postseason success in four out of those five and all the exposure that brings) should be fired because you feel he's "getting out of" the UND game. At this point, the UND game is easily a luxury, not a necessity. Normally I'm down with other peoples' opinions but something this ludicrous is just too outstanding considering all the success we've had with Gene Taylor sailing the ship.

2). There are actually very simple, logical reasons why this game wouldn't be played (I won't say shouldn't as I don't have a strong opinion either way) - NDSU does not need this game. The basketball game showed us the rivalry is as near to dead as it's going to get and we (NDSU) have a passionate fanbase that is going to fill the Fargodome regardless of who we're playing. We will have excellent attendance next year with all the success we had this year and had a rough start due to last year's 3-8 record - UND can't expect any better than they got with their horrid schedule and meager field performances the past season, so they need a game that's going to get the fan base pumped up, which for football is a tall order.

We're going to have sellouts in Fargo regardless of who we play. That tells Gene Taylor all he needs to know in that the game is not a necessity, whereas guaranteeing home games (which make money) most definitely is. Therefore, if a school like Lafayette or St. Francis is willing to come to NDSU for a portion of the extra cash NDSU makes off the game, that's more appealing than the eventuality of going to Grand Forks (and which is why Faison was a moron for not taking the 2-1 deal).

Any fan of a school not NDSU or UND only needs to know this to get most of the picture - the game isn't a necessity for NDSU. It is for UND. Bottom line.

Twentysix
December 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Chances Montana actually follows through and makes the trip?

Very good, as our return trip out to them comes after they come to us. Unless they have to cut games inorder to make the new coglomerate conference work, im not up to speed on it.

If that is the case I would think potential losses will be the first to go.

You gotta admit, playing NDSU is a big step up from a D2 team or 3.

How many years out of the playoffs while playing a cream puff schedule does it take for montana(maybe montana gets back on the horse, maybe they dont) to lose its illustrious title?

Maybe a georgia southern fan can help me out? After your success ran dry for a few years, were less things handed to you? Seemed like Ga Southern worked for everything this year.

How about a conference mate? Any penguins wanna help me out with the montana question?

I have no idea what GSU or YSU's schedules looked like, but you had fairytale success for awhile, and both fanbases have had recent rough patches, what are montanan's to expect if the griz fail to make the playoffs for a few years in a row? (not that its going to happen, all hypothetical here)

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 27th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Good points by all on here, even mpls.

When UND gets into a full BSC schedule, the game with the Bison will be a hard one to do. I'm sure the fans that want the game no matter what, think the game is too easy to schedule, but both teams will have 8 conference games, 1 FBS and 2 ooc games to schedule.

Most Bison fans want 6 regular season homes games. I do not want to sacrifice a home game to play UND in the Alerus.....in a 12 game season it would be fine because we could still have 6 home games. I don't think GT will schedule 12 games because Bohl has said in the past that he likes having a bye week during the season. The MV is a "meat-grinder" and why play 12 consecutive games w/o a break.

Would a UND game be a good one?.......Sure, but it is not the end all be all for the Bison. Right now I could care less if we play again and I certainly do not want to sacrifice a home game to play in the Alerus.

My 2$

darell1976
December 27th, 2010, 08:38 AM

1). Gene Taylor. No way the guy that guided our university through DI with huge FBS wins in football, ranked wins in basketball, softball, volleyball and wrestling (not to mention postseason success in four out of those five and all the exposure that brings) should be fired because you feel he's "getting out of" the UND game. At this point, the UND game is easily a luxury, not a necessity. Normally I'm down with other peoples' opinions but something this ludicrous is just too outstanding considering all the success we've had with Gene Taylor sailing the ship.

2). There are actually very simple, logical reasons why this game wouldn't be played (I won't say shouldn't as I don't have a strong opinion either way) - NDSU does not need this game. The basketball game showed us the rivalry is as near to dead as it's going to get and we (NDSU) have a passionate fanbase that is going to fill the Fargodome regardless of who we're playing. We will have excellent attendance next year with all the success we had this year and had a rough start due to last year's 3-8 record - UND can't expect any better than they got with their horrid schedule and meager field performances the past season, so they need a game that's going to get the fan base pumped up, which for football is a tall order.

We're going to have sellouts in Fargo regardless of who we play. That tells Gene Taylor all he needs to know in that the game is not a necessity, whereas guaranteeing home games (which make money) most definitely is. Therefore, if a school like Lafayette or St. Francis is willing to come to NDSU for a portion of the extra cash NDSU makes off the game, that's more appealing than the eventuality of going to Grand Forks (and which is why Faison was a moron for not taking the 2-1 deal).

Any fan of a school not NDSU or UND only needs to know this to get most of the picture - the game isn't a necessity for NDSU. It is for UND. Bottom line.

You couldn't be more dead on!! Our fanbase at the beginning of this transition was really good. However every year since 2008 has seen attendance fall and this season (2010) with a 3-8 record really was horrible. Now in 2011 our schedule doesn't feature many big named teams at home besides USD, Drake, and Cal Poly. So NDSU would have been perfect to "pump up" the excitement of Sioux football and fill the dome. Maybe this is why Faison wanted all or nothing. Well IMO 2012 at the earliest would have been perfect to restart the rivalry with UND joining a "real" conference and plus becoming playoff eligible where every game counts really gets you motivated. Add NDSU and you have a season for the books. But I can see why GT would want 6 home games, who wouldn't but he would look like a goat if he couldn't fill that 6th home game and end up scheduling a road OOC game thats further than Grand Forks.

DJKyR0
December 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
You couldn't be more dead on!! Our fanbase at the beginning of this transition was really good. However every year since 2008 has seen attendance fall and this season (2010) with a 3-8 record really was horrible. Now in 2011 our schedule doesn't feature many big named teams at home besides USD, Drake, and Cal Poly. So NDSU would have been perfect to "pump up" the excitement of Sioux football and fill the dome. Maybe this is why Faison wanted all or nothing. Well IMO 2012 at the earliest would have been perfect to restart the rivalry with UND joining a "real" conference and plus becoming playoff eligible where every game counts really gets you motivated. Add NDSU and you have a season for the books. But I can see why GT would want 6 home games, who wouldn't but he would look like a goat if he couldn't fill that 6th home game and end up scheduling a road OOC game thats further than Grand Forks.

Faison wanting "all or nothing" is exactly what makes him out to be rather incompetent as an AD, IMO. Either he doesn't recognize a pretty glaring need for a standout game or is too stubborn to admit it, but him bargaining from a position of equality with that kind of mindset is pretty outrageous. GT holds most of the chips in the deal and if he says it can't happen I for one believe he knows his job well enough to be correct.

At least for the foreseeable future I wouldn't worry about GT "looking like a goat;" the two OOC home games against Lafayette and St. Francis are right away this year when enthusiasm is always at its highest and it's more or less the same deal as was in '08, both of which first games were sellouts. We have games vs. Montana and Montana St. which shouldn't have any problem selling out.

Again - NDSU doesn't need this game. Does that mean it shouldn't happen? Not necessarily, but from that avenue you can see why it wouldn't be a priority to Taylor.

JSUBison
December 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Back to the task at hand:

DATE OPPONENT TIME
W Sept. 3 LAFAYETTE TBA
W Sept. 10 SAINT FRANCIS (PA) TBA
Tossup Sept. 24 at Minnesota TBA
W Oct. 1 *ILLINOIS STATE (HOMECOMING) TBA
L Oct. 8 *at Southern Illinois TBA
W Oct. 15 *MISSOURI STATE TBA
W Oct. 22 *at South Dakota State(Dakota Marker) TBA
W Oct. 29 *NORTHERN IOWA TBA
W Nov. 5 *at Indiana State TBA
L Nov. 12 *YOUNGSTOWN STATE(Harvest Bowl) TBA
W Nov. 19 *at Western Illinois TBA

8-3/9-2 is my prediction I think we finally get a win against N. Iowa. Youngstown might be a surprise loss pick to some of you, but they always play NDSU tough. They were competitive this past year, despite their overall record, if my memory of their scores are correct. I do think Youngstown needs a different coach, though. Not sure how well liked he is by the team. I seem to remember him throwing his players under the bus after the NDSU game.

The 'stache will pull out a win and I think SIU will finish with a 5-3 conference record. With the Gophs new coach, I just don't know on that game.

darell1976
December 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Faison wanting "all or nothing" is exactly what makes him out to be rather incompetent as an AD, IMO. Either he doesn't recognize a pretty glaring need for a standout game or is too stubborn to admit it, but him bargaining from a position of equality with that kind of mindset is pretty outrageous. GT holds most of the chips in the deal and if he says it can't happen I for one believe he knows his job well enough to be correct.

At least for the foreseeable future I wouldn't worry about GT "looking like a goat;" the two OOC home games against Lafayette and St. Francis are right away this year when enthusiasm is always at its highest and it's more or less the same deal as was in '08, both of which first games were sellouts. We have games vs. Montana and Montana St. which shouldn't have any problem selling out.

Again - NDSU doesn't need this game. Does that mean it shouldn't happen? Not necessarily, but from that avenue you can see why it wouldn't be a priority to Taylor.

Right now he is not a fan favorite among Sioux fans, and instead of playing at NDSU we are playing host to Montana....WESTERN!! proves what kind of an idiot we have at UND. I like that you are playing both Montana's, maybe GT would like a rematch with Eastern Washington this time no video replay needed.

darell1976
December 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM

8-3/9-2 is my prediction I think we finally get a win against N. Iowa. Youngstown might be a surprise loss pick to some of you, but they always play NDSU tough. They were competitive this past year, despite their overall record, if my memory of their scores are correct. I do think Youngstown needs a different coach, though. Not sure how well liked he is by the team. I seem to remember him throwing his players under the bus after the NDSU game.

The 'stache will pull out a win and I think SIU will finish with a 5-3 conference record. With the Gophs new coach, I just don't know on that game.

Since NDSU has the tougher conference games at home I say they have a great shot at a conference title. 8-3/9-2 is a good prediction Skoal, and since the Gophs have a new coach they (Minn) may be the underdogs in that game.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Taylor doesn't get credit for wins in my book, the coaches do. Taylor just negotiates their contracts and signs their checks.

You can argue that Taylor was the one who hired the coaches, but I doubt he hired the volleyball coach as that was probably Lynn Dorn. Probably the same for the softball coach. Dorn generally takes care of the women's sports (as they are low-revenue and less important at NDSU). And I highly doubt he was NDSU's AD (or even an AD period) when NDSU hired the wrestling coach. Not sure if he hired Tim Miles or Bob Babich, but I think that was his predecessor.

As far as Bohl and Saul Phillips, neither of them had ever been head coaches before. How could Taylor have possibly known that they would be so successful? So far, the most success for both has been riding the coattails of the predecessor's recruiting efforts (Bohl in 2006 and 2007 and Phillips in 2008-09). Bohl has finally had a success he can truly call his own at NDSU this season, although they shouldn't have made the playoffs this year. It's taken a while, but then again, Bohl was never a head coach before. And as for Phillips, other than Woody's sr. year, NDSU hasn't done much since. We'll see if they can somehow manage to beat Oakland to make it back to the NCAAs.

He took two gambles and so far they've paid off. That's about the most credit you can give him.

And he certainly did not "guide NDSU to DI", that was Chapman's vision. He wanted NDSU to be DI and he was the one who pushed it through.

The NDSU UND game is far too important to the state to have one guy ruin it for everyone. Now I don't know if Taylor is being honest or not, but my gut tells me he is trying his best not to appear dishonest but at best is giving "half-assed" effort to get the game done. He's not trying hard to make it work, or the game could've already been played by now.

2) The reason that the game should be scheduled has nothing to do with if NDSU need the game to boost attendance or media attention or whatever other red herring you can conjure up.

I agree with you, it doesn't matter who is scheduled. Attendance and media will be about the same.

I also don't think NDSU should sacrifice 6 home games.

Hence, 2013/2014 are the perfect years to schedule a home/home series as they will allow NDSU to have an FBS money game *and* 6 home games while scheduling UND.

The only possible excuse would be if only 11 games and thus 2 bye weeks are desired. That may end up being the excuse that is used, it's a cowards excuse.

The reason the NCAA allows 12 games to be played those years is that there are 13 weeks in the regular season. Thus there will still be a bye week even if 12 games are scheduled.

I've defeated every reason there is not to play the game. It will come down to emotions and hurt feelings as the real reason that the game won't be scheduled, if it isn't. Again, a cowards way out.

SDFS
December 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Right now he is not a fan favorite among Sioux fans, and instead of playing at NDSU we are playing host to Montana....WESTERN!! proves what kind of an idiot we have at UND. I like that you are playing both Montana's, maybe GT would like a rematch with Eastern Washington this time no video replay needed.

UND had a FBS game scheduled on the date proposed by GT. So, you are saying that UND should have bought out a FBS game for a game at NDSU. I not sure that NDSU was offering that type of money for the game. I have no idea why you are saying NDSU vs Montana Western. In reference to your other post about needing home games:

Out of Conference Games
2012 - UCA
2013 - SDSU and Montana - NOTE: This was scheduled prior to joining the BSC.

So, the home schedule is going to look a lot better after 2011.

stevdock
December 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
In my opinion, the best way for these teams to play each other is for both teams to make the playoffs. It was an easier prediction when the field was 16. That would be a guaranteed NDSU-UND game. Now based on 20 teams, it's not as easy to make that happen, but still much better odds than during the regular season.

TheBisonator
December 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
In my opinion, the best way for these teams to play each other is for both teams to make the playoffs. It was an easier prediction when the field was 16. That would be a guaranteed NDSU-UND game. Now based on 20 teams, it's not as easy to make that happen, but still much better odds than during the regular season.

UND in the playoffs?? Surely you jest.

darell1976
December 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
UND had a FBS game scheduled on the date proposed by GT. So, you are saying that UND should have bought out a FBS game for a game at NDSU. I not sure that NDSU was offering that type of money for the game. I have no idea why you are saying NDSU vs Montana Western. In reference to your other post about needing home games:

Out of Conference Games
2012 - UCA
2013 - SDSU and Montana - NOTE: This was scheduled prior to joining the BSC.

So, the home schedule is going to look a lot better after 2011.

I am saying in general when the first idea of UND playing NDSU was on the table and GT said every other year while Faison said no it had to be every year or nothing. I thought 2011 would have been the first game (I didn't know what date would have been planned) then 2013 would have been the game at UND (still giving NDSU an opportunity at 6 home games) then back to Fargo in 2015. But instead of playing NDSU in 2011 we play the likes of Montana Western, or Black Hills State, and Sioux Falls.

darell1976
December 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
UND in the playoffs?? Surely you jest.

After what we did in 2010....I agree.

Gil Dobie
December 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I am saying in general when the first idea of UND playing NDSU was on the table and GT said every other year while Faison said no it had to be every year or nothing. I thought 2011 would have been the first game (I didn't know what date would have been planned) then 2013 would have been the game at UND (still giving NDSU an opportunity at 6 home games) then back to Fargo in 2015. But instead of playing NDSU in 2011 we play the likes of Montana Western, or Black Hills State, and Sioux Falls.

Had UND signed the first 4 year home and home in 2003, we wouldn't be talking about this.

darell1976
December 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Had UND signed the first 4 year home and home in 2003, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Had NDSU stayed in the NCC...we wouldn't be talking about this.xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM

NCC would have died a slow death anyway. D2 is so "watered" down now.

Moorhead State is D2 and can barely fund 9-10 schollies right now....xsmhx

NDSU should have made the move in the 80s or when Montana/State did in the late 70s.

JBB
December 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I still dont see any talk about money. there will be no home/home without a conference affiliation or substantial concessions by faison.

A 2 for 1 might work but I dont see any sign, or reason, that NDSU has any real interest anymore. What's the point of negotiating with a school that has no concept grounded in reality of what their true market value is?

UND has nothing to offer NDSU as far as negotiating leverage and carries a price of less than one hundred thousand if they want to play in Fargo.

If they want NDSU in Grand Forks and FBS date will have to be purchased. GT says our going rate is $350,000.

NDSU doesnt even get any good PR out of a game with UND. With next years schedule we will get the same coverage in the Dakotas we always get and will get press on the east coast as well.

It wont happen until the price is right. Without including that in the conversation there is no context.
http://bisonsports.net/3.3.07/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2890&p=26865#p26865

I sure hope I havent hurt your feelings Darell, but I am surprised to see you speak of your AD in those unbecoming terms.

darell1976
December 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I sure hope I havent hurt your feelings Darell, but I am surprised to see you speak of your AD in those unbecoming terms.

He is better than Tom Bunning who did nothing for UND, but Faison coming out with his every year or nothing of NDSU, plus his bad 2011 schedule for the football team is not making any friends with Sioux fans. JBB in that quote you posted $350,000 is that above normal for a price for a FCS game??

darell1976
December 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
NCC would have died a slow death anyway. D2 is so "watered" down now.

Moorhead State is D2 and can barely fund 9-10 schollies right now....xsmhx

NDSU should have made the move in the 80s or when Montana/State did in the late 70s.

Which is why I am surprised teams like Duluth, Mankato, Grand Valley State and of course Omaha is still there. Also too bad Moorhead St couldn't move up to the FCS rankings...that would be something to have 2 FCS teams right across the river from one another.

Gil Dobie
December 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM

No regrets about leaving the NCC as the conference voted to stay DII, except for NDSU, UNC and SDSU.

JBB
December 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
He is better than Tom Bunning who did nothing for UND, but Faison coming out with his every year or nothing of NDSU, plus his bad 2011 schedule for the football team is not making any friends with Sioux fans. JBB in that quote you posted $350,000 is that above normal for a price for a FCS game??

I believe thats what GT said. He may have been referring to BCS schools? NDSU is 2-2 against the BCS. But more to my point, to buy out an NDSU FBS date, to have them play in GF, would have to be a competitive bid.

I know Wyoming and the MAC schools paid less than that, under $200,000. Im sure NDSU would consider the ease of travel and adjust downward, something UND has to consider when contemplating a single game contract for The Fabulous Fargo Dome.

I say let sleeping dogs lie. Let the playoffs determine when and where NDSU plays UND in football next.

They aren't on the 2011 schedule and it seems unlikely they will be on any schedule for the next several years.

bisonguy
December 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
No regrets about leaving the NCC as the conference voted to stay DII, except for NDSU, UNC and SDSU.

There were four schools that voted for a DI NCC- NDSU, UNC, SDSU, and USD.

Hambone
December 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM
So, about the Bison schedule.......

pretty good looking schedule - too bad GSU wanted 6 home games and bought them out - would have been a great game......

Poly's Brutality
December 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Will someone please come out to sunny California with a football team for a little vacation at San Luis Obispo Sept 17, Oct 1 or Oct 8? Need some good home games, and it's hard to find a better locale for some beach time, nice area, etc., etc. - and good team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Will someone please come out to sunny California with a football team for a little vacation at San Luis Obispo Sept 17, Oct 1 or Oct 8? Need some good home games, and it's hard to find a better locale for some beach time, nice area, etc., etc. - and good team.

I enjoyed watching Poly in the FFD....especially the defense. I don't know if Poly runs the same defense but that was fun to watch.

At times it looked like a 2-5 or a 3-5 with guys going everywhere. Bison lineman (seniors this and guys last year) said the toughest defense to play against was Cal-Poly.....and I can see why.

It would be nice to play Poly again but I doubt that the Bison will go out to CA to play a game when we want 6 home games a year and a tough MV schedule.

LOL.....ask Wisconsin how tough the Cal-Poly defense is......stangs should have won that game a few yrs ago.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM

pretty good looking schedule - too bad GSU wanted 6 home games and bought them out - would have been a great game......

UND could have been the game for the GSU replacement but Fiason said no......idiot!!

That would have been a great game. A lot of hype for that one.

IMO, the Bison would have "steamrolled" UND if that game was scheduled....we have a lot of talent coming back next year.

darell1976
December 29th, 2010, 08:12 AM
UND could have been the game for the GSU replacement but Fiason said no......idiot!!

IMO, the Bison would have "steamrolled" UND if that game was scheduled....we have a lot of talent coming back next year.

Thats an understatement. We have huge question marks going into next season especially who our next QB is (Landry graduated and our backups sucked!!). How many starters will be back for NDSU??

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
There were four schools that voted for a DI NCC- NDSU, UNC, SDSU, and USD.

I also heard UNO, but just listed the one's I knew for sure. :)

Hambone
December 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Unfortunately UND had an FBS game scheduled for that day, although it would have been nice if the dates would have matched up.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thats an understatement. We have huge question marks going into next season especially who our next QB is (Landry graduated and our backups sucked!!). How many starters will be back for NDSU??

On offense we lose Arndt, Vandal and Smith. Very good leaders.

Defense loses Gratzek, Anderson, banks, gatlin....and Prevlitz the punter.

Guys that started....5 starters of offense and defense and the punter.....could be wrong, though.

UND will right up there with the upper echelon in the Big Sky in a few yrs. They have to many resources not to be successful. UND spends about as much as NDSU does on FB. In a few yrs it will be the Grizz, MSU and UND for the BSC title yearly. The BSC is top heavy most years.

With the college FB landscape changing all the time, UND might be in the MV in a few yrs....never know.....then all this game scheduling talk will be mute.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately UND had an FBS game scheduled for that day, although it would have been nice if the dates would have matched up.

Ya, your right. I think this was before UND came out with its final schedule.

IMO, the 12 game seasons should be the ones that the game could easily be done.....we'll see I guess.

Twentysix
December 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Guys that started....5 starters of offense and defense and the punter.....could be wrong, though.

UND will right up there with the upper echelon in the Big Sky in a few yrs. They have to many resources not to be successful. UND spends about as much as NDSU does on FB. In a few yrs it will be the Grizz, MSU and UND for the BSC title yearly. The BSC is top heavy most years.

With the college FB landscape changing all the time, UND might be in the MV in a few yrs....never know.....then all this game scheduling talk will be mute.

48 Anderson, Matt LB 6-2 233 Sr. Cavalier, N.D. (Cavalier HS)
52 Arndt, Michael OT 6-6 318 Sr. LaMoure, N.D. (LaMoure HS)
13 Banks, Freddie CB 5-9 179 Sr. Harvey, Ill. (Mercyhurst College, Pa.) (Thornwood HS)
32 Colvin, Derrius CB 5-10 182 Sr. South Holland, Ill. (Thornwood HS)
4 Gatlin, Josh CB 6-0 194 Sr. Jacksonville, Fla. (NDSCS) (Englewood HS)
70 Gratzek, Matthew DT 6-2 289 Sr. Argyle, Minn. (Stephen Argyle Central HS)
33 Hushka, Drew FB 6-0 246 Sr. Fargo, N.D. (Shanley HS)
36 Lemon, Cyrus SS 5-11 196 Sr. Minneapolis, Minn. (DeLaSalle HS)
6 Mack, Titus WR 5-10 167 Sr. New Britain, Conn. (Pasadena City College) (New Britain HS)
66 McGregor, DJ OG 6-2 308 Sr. Warren, Minn. (Warren-Alvarado-Oslo HS)
95 Phillips, Matt NG 6-4 286 Sr. DePere, Wis. (Notre Dame Academy)
19 Prelvitz, John P 6-2 212 Sr. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau HS)
84 Smith, Landon TE 6-2 238 Sr. Dickinson, N.D. (Trinity)
46 Vandal, Lee FB 6-1 248 Sr. Rolla, N.D. (Rolla HS) Blockers, although they were good, im sure they will be replaced
85 Williams, Gary WR 6-0 183 Sr. Humble, Texas (North Shore HS)

Most of these names were very small contributors, some were talented but were always injured anyways, a few are a big loss.

JBB
December 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Interesting, I guess, but really lets get back to the 2011 NDSU BISON schedule ok? xnodx

I like the first 2 games. Both offer decent competition. As pointed out NDSU will be looking at some new starters and some new players will be emerging. This is a good way to get the machine oiled and rolling before we travel to The TCF and the Gophers.

Having UNI in Fargo is also a big deal. Should be a big crowd for an exciting game. They havent always been the most hospitable opponents.

Every home game has the chance to be very good football game. Traveling the WIU is always a problem. This is one balanced league. Lots of different styles of play.

stevdock
December 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
48 Anderson, Matt LB 6-2 233 Sr. Cavalier, N.D. (Cavalier HS)
52 Arndt, Michael OT 6-6 318 Sr. LaMoure, N.D. (LaMoure HS)
13 Banks, Freddie CB 5-9 179 Sr. Harvey, Ill. (Mercyhurst College, Pa.) (Thornwood HS)
32 Colvin, Derrius CB 5-10 182 Sr. South Holland, Ill. (Thornwood HS)
4 Gatlin, Josh CB 6-0 194 Sr. Jacksonville, Fla. (NDSCS) (Englewood HS)
70 Gratzek, Matthew DT 6-2 289 Sr. Argyle, Minn. (Stephen Argyle Central HS)
33 Hushka, Drew FB 6-0 246 Sr. Fargo, N.D. (Shanley HS)
36 Lemon, Cyrus SS 5-11 196 Sr. Minneapolis, Minn. (DeLaSalle HS)
6 Mack, Titus WR 5-10 167 Sr. New Britain, Conn. (Pasadena City College) (New Britain HS)
66 McGregor, DJ OG 6-2 308 Sr. Warren, Minn. (Warren-Alvarado-Oslo HS)
95 Phillips, Matt NG 6-4 286 Sr. DePere, Wis. (Notre Dame Academy)
19 Prelvitz, John P 6-2 212 Sr. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau HS)
84 Smith, Landon TE 6-2 238 Sr. Dickinson, N.D. (Trinity)
46 Vandal, Lee FB 6-1 248 Sr. Rolla, N.D. (Rolla HS) Blockers, although they were good, im sure they will be replaced
85 Williams, Gary WR 6-0 183 Sr. Humble, Texas (North Shore HS)

Most of these names were very small contributors, some were talented but were always injured anyways, a few are a big loss.

Matt Anderson was a starter for the majority of the year. I believe the only thing that kept him out of the starting lineup was injuries.

Twentysix
December 30th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Definetly, i just think he will be more easily replaced, we seem to have oodles of LB talent.

Matt Anderson was a great player too constantly injured though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 30th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Definetly, i just think he will be more easily replaced, we seem to have oodles of LB talent.

Matt Anderson was a great player too constantly injured though.

Matt did a good job this year.

Bison return all their starters basically at LBer: Willson-Evans-Jemison

That will be the best LB corp in the MV next year. IMO, Willson was the best LBer we had this year.

slostang
December 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Don't forget Eastern Washington and Cal Poly. Also SUU is really improving and I am sure the Big Sky membership will only help with recruiting.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Don't forget Eastern Washington and Cal Poly. Also SUU is really improving and I am sure the Big Sky membership will only help with recruiting.

Ya, forgot Poly is joining the league! They will be contenders yearly also.

darell1976
December 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ya, forgot Poly is joining the league! They will be contenders yearly also.

Also UC Davis could contend as well. It all depends on recruiting, coaching, and of course "video replay"xlolx

MplsBison
December 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Also UC Davis could contend as well. It all depends on recruiting, coaching, and of course "video replay"xlolx

Other than Montana, none of the Big Sky schools really have facilities that stand-out as head and shoulders above the rest. And academically, UC Davis is by far and wide the highest academic school in the football conference. It's just not a name school nationally like Cal or UCLA are (not that this necessarily matters, but it is true).

So truthfully, with the right coach that can recruit his butt off, any of the Big Sky football schools should be able to contend for the conference title. Eastern Washington this year I think especially shows that. They have maybe the worst football facilities in the football conference, with the exception now of Southern Utah. But they were clearly the best team in the conference this year and could well go on to win the national title.

JBB
December 30th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Poly's Brutality
December 31st, 2010, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=MplsBison;1604614] And academically, UC Davis is by far and wide the highest academic school in the football conference. It's just not a name school nationally like Cal or UCLA are (not that this necessarily matters, but it is true).

Yo Mp, better check those facts, look up Cal Poly SLO and rewrite that one. (Second sentence may be correct, there, however, and certainly with CP at SLO.)

MplsBison
December 31st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Yo Mp, better check those facts, look up Cal Poly SLO and rewrite that one. (Second sentence may be correct, there, however, and certainly with CP at SLO.)

Um...you sure you want to do this? I don't want to burst your bubble or anything....but ok, since you asked:

USNWR rankings:
UC Davis - 39 National Universities (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/davis-ca/uc-davis-1313)
Cal Poly - 6th regional universities, west (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/san-luis-obispo-ca/cal-poly-1143)

Note the difference between being 39th best in the nation vs being the 6th best regional university in the west. Not even in the same league.

AAU: http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

UC Davis is a member, Cal poly is not (nor is any campus in the lower ranked CSU system, while many of the campuses in the highly ranked UC system are)

Research expenditures (2008 - the latest NSF data): http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf10311/pdf/tab31.pdf

UC Davis - 16th - $642,519 thousand
Cal Poly - 257th - $14,866 thousand

Again, not even in the same league.

Twentysix
December 31st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Quit clouding your arguement with these fact things.

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
When do you think Cal Poly will return to the top venue in the Dakotas? Playing the small halls is tough. Are you guys up to the task of the big stage? That's looking ahead of course, but the 2011 schedule is bound to lead to speculation about the out years.

Being the top venue in the Dakotas is like being the prettiest girl in Antarctica.

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 06:36 AM

I think 8-3/9-2 depends on if the MVC is as weak next year as it was this year and on how badly the Minnesota game goes. Jerry Kill will be ready, you can take that to the bank, and if the game gets out of hand it could be a real confidence killer going in to conference play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I think 8-3/9-2 depends on if the MVC is as weak next year as it was this year and on how badly the Minnesota game goes. Jerry Kill will be ready, you can take that to the bank, and if the game gets out of hand it could be a real confidence killer going in to conference play.

With a new offensive and defensive schemes for the Gophers, I don't think this game will get out of hand. The Bison have 17/18 returning starters.....I like our chances.

GO BISON

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
With a new offensive and defensive schemes for the Gophers, I don't think this game will get out of hand. The Bison have 17/18 returning starters.....I like our chances.

GO BISON

It will be a well-earned win if it happens. I've seen Kill take an awful team and convince them they could play. His record wasn't great his first year here, but the intensity level of the same players was night and day.

JBB
January 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM

The assertion that NDSU is good because the MVFC is down is fallacious. There is no correlation. The idea that NDSUs future success is dependent of the future failure of our opponents is ridiculous and of course self-fulfilling if your premise is "NDSU wins because their opponents are bad".

Are Delaware and EWU in the Title Game because every other team in the FCS is bad?

There is no guarantee Jerry Kill will be ready. He had at least 1 moral loss this season. The only guarantee is that two football teams will be as ready as possible. The outcome depends on many things but it sure doesnt follow that a win by NDSU means the Gophers weren't ready. Thats something I will take to the bank.

Almost all FCS teams had their FBS games get out of hand. Because one team lost 45-0 and went on to a 3-8 season and another was soundly defeated and went on the national championship game has nothing to do with the FBS games. It does however have a lot to do with all the other games they played.

JSUBison
January 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM

I disagree, I think you are selling Kill short. After non-con play, I think he will be able reinstall confidence in his players, and get his guys to focus on turning the season around in the upcoming conference play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I disagree, I think you are selling Kill short. After non-con play, I think he will be able reinstall confidence in his players, and get his guys to focus on turning the season around in the upcoming conference play.

I think he means the Bison.....if the game get out of hand for the Gophers, it will be a confidence killer for the Bison.

Gopher defenses have never been "physical" defenses. Our O-line will be very good next year, plus DJ should be one of the best RBs in the FCS.

Game will be a tough one for the Bison but I full expect a Bison win.

darell1976
January 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM

Kind of a strong word. I would say the MVFC is getting more equal than anything. All the bottom feeders are moving up including NDSU, Indiana State, Western Illinois. There is more pairity in the conference not one team is running away with the conference. Last year you have SIU, UNI, and SDSU towards the top this year it was UNI, WIU, and NDSU. And when you have a tough conference that beats up on each other week in and week out it may appear the conference is down or weak to other conferences but it may not be the fact.

tractorapp
January 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I was sure that was the key to GSU getting back in the playoffs, I had no idea we'd make it this season!

Dude, you may want to re-think the last part of that comment.

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Kind of a strong word. I would say the MVFC is getting more equal than anything. All the bottom feeders are moving up including NDSU, Indiana State, Western Illinois. There is more pairity in the conference not one team is running away with the conference. Last year you have SIU, UNI, and SDSU towards the top this year it was UNI, WIU, and NDSU. And when you have a tough conference that beats up on each other week in and week out it may appear the conference is down or weak to other conferences but it may not be the fact.

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, such a ridiculous amount of parity can only mean that almost no one in the conference had any kind of consistency, ie any team could lose to any team. That's not a sign of a strong conference whose best teams can play with anyone in the nation.

NDSU definitely peaked at the right time. Robert Moris was obviously not a nationally competitive team and Montana St played very badly. EWU did not play well but still beat NDSU. Then not to mention that Lehigh beat Northern in Cedar Falls and Western Ill should've probably lost to Coastal and then got destroyed by App St.

MVFC was down last year. Big time.

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Kill is a great coach and he will get Minnesota back to where they were under Mason around 2005 or so within a couple years. But in all fairness, I think you could've said the same thing for Turner Gill at Kansas and look how that game went for NDSU this season.

What Kill will be able to do with Minn next season will really depend on what kind of talent he has to work with.

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
The assertion that NDSU is good because the MVFC is down is fallacious. There is no correlation. The idea that NDSUs future success is dependent of the future failure of our opponents is ridiculous and of course self-fulfilling if your premise is "NDSU wins because their opponents are bad".

Are Delaware and EWU in the Title Game because every other team in the FCS is bad?

There is no guarantee Jerry Kill will be ready. He had at least 1 moral loss this season. The only guarantee is that two football teams will be as ready as possible. The outcome depends on many things but it sure doesnt follow that a win by NDSU means the Gophers weren't ready. Thats something I will take to the bank.

Almost all FCS teams had their FBS games get out of hand. Because one team lost 45-0 and went on to a 3-8 season and another was soundly defeated and went on the national championship game has nothing to do with the FBS games. It does however have a lot to do with all the other games they played.

I said the MVC was down, and everybody, except you, knows it's true, for the myriad reasons that have already been listed many times.. In fact the FCS as a whole is down this year talent-wise, and it will show on draft day.

And yes, the bison may beat UM, who suck by any standard of measurement; what I'm saying is that the task just got harder the day they hired Kill.

It's ok to have your head up your aas, JBB, but you should leave your ears outside.xoopsx

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Kill is a great coach and he will get Minnesota back to where they were under Mason around 2005 or so within a couple years. But in all fairness, I think you could've said the same thing for Turner Gill at Kansas and look how that game went for NDSU this season.

What Kill will be able to do with Minn next season will really depend on what kind of talent he has to work with.

I don't know about Gill, I'm just sayin' what I saw here in person, and really, KSU was an FBS win, but it wasn't ASU vs Michigan.

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 10:14 PM

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, darrell, you can have more parity and still be weaker than normal. Look at the OOC records.

MplsBison
January 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
I don't know about Gill, I'm just sayin' what I saw here in person, and really, KSU was an FBS win, but it wasn't ASU vs Michigan.

Kill has had some time to get talent to NIU. As I said, what he can do at Minn next year really depends on what he'll have to work with. In a couple years, he'll get some players to the U and they'll win more.

Same thing will happen for Gill at Kansas (not KSU).

But, point being, the first year of a new coach at lower level BCS school is vulnerable for an upset to a top FCS school.

JBB
January 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
I said the MVC was down, and everybody, except you, knows it's true, for the myriad reasons that have already been listed many times.. In fact the FCS as a whole is down this year talent-wise, and it will show on draft day.

And yes, the bison may beat UM, who suck by any standard of measurement; what I'm saying is that the task just got harder the day they hired Kill.

It's ok to have your head up your aas, JBB, but you should leave your ears outside.xoopsx

You are such a dumb a**. Everybody knows do they? What is the basis of that singular declaration? Your tremendous insight into sports?

The parity in the league is a sign it wasnt down. ! or two teams beating everyone else handily would be a better sign it was down dont you think?

Be that as it may your foul mouth and small brain continue to work against one another. xnodx

Houndawg
January 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
xnonox Slow down, bubba, you'll give yourself the vapors....

JB, we've been over this before and you were unable to refudiate my contention with anything resembling facts. The OOC records clearly show a weaker than normal MVC. The best record in the league was 7-4 fer cryin' out loud. Without a diluted field we're a one bid league.

There's my basis of my singular declaration, JB. Now perhaps you'd like to attempt to explain how parity within the MVC equals a stronger conference in light of the MVC's poor OOC record and feeble playoff showing in an expanded field, flimsy though your case may be.xwhistlex

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
xnonox Slow down, bubba, you'll give yourself the vapors....

JB, we've been over this before and you were unable to refudiate my contention with anything resembling facts. The OOC records clearly show a weaker than normal MVC. The best record in the league was 7-4 fer cryin' out loud. Without a diluted field we're a one bid league.

There's my basis of my singular declaration, JB. Now perhaps you'd like to attempt to explain how parity within the MVC equals a stronger conference in light of the MVC's poor OOC record and feeble playoff showing in an expanded field, flimsy though your case may be.xwhistlex

NDSU: 2-1
WIU: 1-1
UNI: 0-1

The MV was 3-3 this year in the playoffs....I wouldn't call that a "feeble playoff showing".

FargoBison
January 5th, 2011, 12:42 AM
The MVFC was young so I'm not surprised it was a little down but that should mean good things for next year.

JBB
January 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Yes we have touched on this before and you continue to be wrong using cause and effect like a top global warming "scientist". The overall records are a sign of a parity not weakness.

3 teams in the playoffs with 2 advancing is not a sign of a league that is down. The strong finish in the playoffs by NDSU shows the league was competitive at the highest levels.

The MVFC was so strong this year that it even had a rare FCS win against a BCS, Big 12 team.

The MVFC was strong because it was competitive top to bottom.

The MVFC was not down because the typical 1/2 finish of SIU and UNI didnt happen. You bet it was down for SIU, a team that finished near the bottom of the league, but the equality in the records shows the league had parity. The MVFC presence in the National Playoffs shows the league was strong and competitive against the best teams in the country.

RabidRabbit
January 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
BTW, the most successful MVFC play-off team, was in a 6-way tie for 3rd in the MVFC, they were more successful than their MVFC mates in the OOC.

Houndawg
January 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
The MVFC was young so I'm not surprised it was a little down but that should mean good things for next year.

Absolutely.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
January 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Yes we have touched on this before and you continue to be wrong using cause and effect like a top global warming "scientist". The overall records are a sign of a parity not weakness.

3 teams in the playoffs with 2 advancing is not a sign of a league that is down. The strong finish in the playoffs by NDSU shows the league was competitive at the highest levels.

The MVFC was so strong this year that it even had a rare FCS win against a BCS, Big 12 team.

The MVFC was strong because it was competitive top to bottom.

The MVFC was not down because the typical 1/2 finish of SIU and UNI didnt happen. You bet it was down for SIU, a team that finished near the bottom of the league, but the equality in the records shows the league had parity. The MVFC presence in the National Playoffs shows the league was strong and competitive against the best teams in the country.

xrotatehx xlolx ...... tied with NDSU, victories over two of the three MVC playoff teams, and the top rated defense in the MVC in spite of losing three of four starters in the secondary for the season........only for SIU would that considered a bad year in the MVC......

sorry, jb, diluting the playoff pool by loosening the requirements to qualify does not equal the league being stronger. xoopsx

Houndawg
January 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
NDSU: 2-1
WIU: 1-1
UNI: 0-1

The MV was 3-3 this year in the playoffs....I wouldn't call that a "feeble playoff showing".

It would have been a great deal more impressive last year when it was considerably harder to qualify.. if the field were the traditional 16 teams, the MVC would have been 0-1....just sayin'......the MVC will be better next year...

No_Skill
January 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah...can you take your pointless argument elsewhere? It has nothing to do with the topic.

JBB
January 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Is simply silly to say it was harder to qualify for the playoffs this year than last. You either qualify or you dont, SIU didnt.

NDSU has a prime schedule next year. We have a chance to beat SIU at home and continue to rock the mustache's career hopes as an FBS coaching hopeful.

We have a chance to beat the Gophers and Jerry Kill, a man who is going to have a tough first year, if not a dead end after 5.

We get WIU and UNI at home. We have a score to settle with MSU and some great games from the rest of the league.

If you are looking from the bottom up the league might be down, especially if you think your team has some type of entitlement. NDSU is looking at the league from the top down. They were the most successful team in the league in the end and thats something to build on for next year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2011, 06:00 AM
It would have been a great deal more impressive last year when it was considerably harder to qualify.. if the field were the traditional 16 teams, the MVC would have been 0-1....just sayin'......the MVC will be better next year...

MV was better this year. Just because SIU wasn't in the upper echelon of teams does not make it a poor league this year. The MV is a "meat-grinder" every week with teams beating each other up. IMO, a NDSU/Villanova playoff game in the FFD would have been a Bison win.

As a Bison fan, I cannot wait for kick-off in 2011 'cus the Bison are going to be good. We find a consistent passing game it will be hard to beat them....and that includes the Gophers.

MplsBison
January 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
MV was better this year. Just because SIU wasn't in the upper echelon of teams does not make it a poor league this year. The MV is a "meat-grinder" every week with teams beating each other up. IMO, a NDSU/Villanova playoff game in the FFD would have been a Bison win.

As a Bison fan, I cannot wait for kick-off in 2011 'cus the Bison are going to be good. We find a consistent passing game it will be hard to beat them....and that includes the Gophers.

Sorry, the only way that kind of pairity can be achieved is if everyone is average.

Houndawg
January 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
MV was better this year. Just because SIU wasn't in the upper echelon of teams does not make it a poor league this year.. The MV is a "meat-grinder" every week with teams beating each other up. IMO, a NDSU/Villanova playoff game in the FFD would have been a Bison win.

Some of you guys need to pull your heads out, I didn't say anything about SIU - I said the league is down by several indicators which have nothing to do with SIU.xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Sorry, the only way that kind of pairity can be achieved is if everyone is average.

Bull**it.

WIU-Ind St-UNI-NDSU all had better conference records this year compared to last year.

Just because there wasn't a team 8-0 then another 7-1 then another 6-2 does not mean everyone is ave. Teams have gotten better and others are not as good. Teams beat each other up every weekend.

Then your arguement is the same for the CAA.....all average this year.....xlolx
They beat each other up week in and week out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Some of you guys need to pull your heads out, I didn't say anything about SIU - I said the league is down by several indicators which have nothing to do with SIU.xcoffeex

Ya, ya......let me see....poor ooc records and no-one separating themselves by going 8-0 in conference.

Some teams are getting better and others playing poorly.

Go back to post #122 and read it!!

Enough said.

Houndawg
January 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
xpeacex Stop the hate, bro. It's eating you up from inside.

ValleyChamp
January 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Nope, sorry. The conference was weak this year. If you have been following the Gateway for more than 2-3 years you'd realize how much weaker teams were this year than in years past.

That's not to say it is a bad conference. It was just a down year. We'll be back up.

Houndawg
January 8th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Nope, sorry. The conference was weak this year. If you have been following the Gateway for more than 2-3 years you'd realize how much weaker teams were this year than in years past.

That's not to say it is a bad conference. It was just a down year. We'll be back up.

xnonox careful pointing out the obvious, VC, some of these folks take it personal......

JBB
January 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Im not filled with confidence when an expert, busy making declarative sentances, refers to the conference as the gateway. Whats that?

Hating on the MVFC because your team was down is irrational.

How many playoff teams did the MVFC have this year compared to the year before? How far did the best team go in the playoffs this year compared to the year before?

The MVFC was as good as it has ever been maybe better. Some teams were worse, some a lot worse. Other teams were better, some a lot better.

The reason the conference had parity is because some teams are rising and others are falling. There is a change of the guard occurring and next season this will become more apparent.

The home schedule NDSU has almost guarantees a hugely successful season with attendance and wins. This year NDSU was the best team in the conference, next year that statement should be without controversy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM

This should be interesting.....What would constitute "back up"?

Is every year a down year with no team at 8-0 or 7-1 with the bottom having an 0-8 or 1-7 team?

Every year is different with this year having many teams "bunched' together.

Take the Bison this year; we lost 2 games we should have won (MSU and ILL State) and 2 others that were close. We lost to the NC in overtime at their house.....a game we had won.

IMO, it is not down. The MV has teams that beat each other up week in and week out.

2011 will be a "meat-grinder" in the MV again.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Im not filled with confidence when an expert, busy making declarative sentances, refers to the conference as the gateway. Whats that?

How many playoff teams did the MVFC have this year compared to the year before? How far did the best team go in the playoffs this year compared to the year before?

The MVFC was as good as it has ever been maybe better. Some teams were worse, some a lot worse. Other teams were better, some a lot better.

The reason the conference had parity is because some teams are rising and others are falling. There is a change of the guard occurring and next season this will become more apparent.

The home schedule NDSU has almost guarantees a hugely successful season with attendance and wins. This year NDSU was the best team in the conference, next year that statement should be without controversy.

At the end of the year the Bison were the best MV team. Bison just need to take care of business during the regular season next year and have multiple home games. Win the conference and get a top-5 seed should be the goal for next year.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Is every year a down year with no team at 8-0 or 7-1 with the bottom having an 0-8 or 1-7 team?

Take the Bison this year; we lost 2 games we should have won (MSU and ILL State) and 2 others that were close. We lost to the NC in overtime at their house.....a game we had won.

IMO, it is not down. The MV has teams that beat each other up week in and week out.

Sorry, you're wrong. You can continue to pretend that you're not, but you are.

UNI was the only team that was above-average in conference play this year. That should be obvious to anyone by the conference records. And they lost in the first round, at home, to Lehigh. PS - that would've been NDSU losing at home to Lehigh if the NCAA hadn't wanted to guarantee that NDSU would get the home bid, thus pairing them with a NEC team.

Generally, a strong conference will have at least 3 teams that dominate the conference for the most part. When the middle of the pack teams can and do beat the "top tier" teams in the conference on a weekly basis, throughout the conference schedule, it means that the top teams aren't much better than the average teams.

That was proven when NDSU (a "top" team) went to Missouri St (a "middle team") and put on a despicable, terrible performance and lost the game with the playoffs on the line. That loss would've sealed their fate if I was choosing playoff teams. You don't lose like that on the last week of the season. But the NCAA has to make as much money as they can...so NDSU got in and got to play the most anti-climax first playoff game in Fargodome history that could've happened: against an inferior opponent that would've lost to most of the old NCC teams and in front of a disappointing, thanksgiving crowd.

jake123
January 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
[B][B]

[B]Gateway Conference, you know the name prior to it being changed.

I don't see him "hating", he stated the conference overall was down this year. It was and the only ones who doubt that are the Bison fans. Why? You have to justify your conference record, again.

[B]Three, last year two. Of course you do realize that the playoffs were expanded in 2010 which allowed the mighty Bison to back in, right? The best team (UNI) lost in the first round, why is only a guess but it would seem that UNI laid an egg. Last year SIU was 1-1 while SDSU was 0-1. Of course SDSU when to U of M to play while the mighty Bison went to MSU. Two very different scenarios. SIU fell to W&M in the second round.

The MVFC was as good as it has ever been maybe better. Some teams were worse, some a lot worse. Other teams were better, some a lot better. Really?

Based on what? The Bison having to justify finishing 4-4?

You mean when UNI and SIU finish 1-2 with SDSU (new guard) or Ind Blue (can't believe I said that) fighting for third while the Bison again fight to complete a .500 record in conference play? You seem to think that due to the Bison having an easy draw in the playoffs, and a nice run through two weak teams it now means year in and year out you will dominate the MVFC. What is your conference record since joining?

I guess in your mind the best team in the conference was 4-4 in conference play this year, finishing the season 4-3 (Oct - Nov) before having a decent playoff run due to an easy draw? I'm sorry, but you really do need to come around to the fact that your might Bison need to prove it on the field in conference play before anyone gives you any respect. By the way, I took the liberty of pulling your 2011 schedule. The way I see it you have a good chance of finishing 5-6 overall, 3-5 in conference playxeekx

W Sep 03 Lafayette
W Sep 10 Saint Francis (Pa.)
L Sep 24 Minnesota
W Oct 01 Illinois State (Homecoming
L Oct 08 Southern Illinois
W Oct 15 Missouri State
L South Dakota State (Dakota Marker)
L Oct 29 Northern Iowa
L Nov 05 Indiana State
W Nov 12 Youngstown State
L Nov 19 Western Illinois

FargoBison
January 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Easy draw? WTF are you talking about? Pretty sure NDSU played at the #6 and #1 team after the first round.

Must be a UNI fan...

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Easy draw? WTF are you talking about? Pretty sure NDSU played at the #6 and #1 team after the first round.

Must be a UNI fan...

Try to be at least a little objective.

Lehigh and Robert Morris were going to play NDSU and UNI in the first round. That's how the cards fell. But which teams would visit which? Obviously, Robert Morris is the weaker of RMU and Lehigh. And RMU had the smallest stadium and lowest average attendance in the playoffs this year - they weren't going to outbid most high schools, let alone colleges, for a home game. Lehigh, on the other hand, has a large stadium, a large fanbase (relative to FCS) and they have money. They could've outbid UNI or NDSU.

Thus, NDSU's ability to generate revenue for the NCAA saved them from having to play Lehigh. The NCAA paired RMU with NDSU to guarantee a playoff game in Fargo. UNI ended up having the higher bid over Lehigh and so that game was in Cedar, but could've just as easily been in PA.

If NDSU had to play Lehigh, they lose the game - simple as that. UNI would've beat Robert Morris and gone on to beat Montana St in Bozeman and who knows what happens in Cheney. UNI could've been playing in the national title game for all we know.

It just shows you, the playoff draw does matter.

Houndawg
January 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Yes it will be a meat grinder, yes there is more parity within the MVC, no that is not the same as the conference being "back up". "Back up", imo, is a better ooc record, I would say the MVC was "back up" this year if we had won our pre-season games against Delaware, SEMO, SFA......... that's what I'm talking about, not parity within the conference.....for some reason this causes certain Bison fans to convulse spasmodically and act out like Tourette's sufferers.........too much time in the dark and cold....

FargoBison
January 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Try to be at least a little objective.

Lehigh and Robert Morris were going to play NDSU and UNI in the first round. That's how the cards fell. But which teams would visit which? Obviously, Robert Morris is the weaker of RMU and Lehigh. And RMU had the smallest stadium and lowest average attendance in the playoffs this year - they weren't going to outbid most high schools, let alone colleges, for a home game. Lehigh, on the other hand, has a large stadium, a large fanbase (relative to FCS) and they have money. They could've outbid UNI or NDSU.

Thus, NDSU's ability to generate revenue for the NCAA saved them from having to play Lehigh. The NCAA paired RMU with NDSU to guarantee a playoff game in Fargo. UNI ended up having the higher bid over Lehigh and so that game was in Cedar, but could've just as easily been in PA.

If NDSU had to play Lehigh, they lose the game - simple as that. UNI would've beat Robert Morris and gone on to beat Montana St in Bozeman and who knows what happens in Cheney. UNI could've been playing in the national title game for all we know.

It just shows you, the playoff draw does matter.

Not sure why NDSU loses to Lehigh, NDSU doesn't run close to the same scheme as UNI so there is no way to say that unless the two played. That game is in Fargo no matter what, no way Lehigh outbids NDSU. The only team that could have matched NDSU's bid in the first round was Georgia Southern. But you don't live in reality so I'm sure you'll post some fiction about Lehigh being loaded with money and ready to throw it around like they are the Norte Dame of the FCS.

NDSU was a young a team that found themselves in the playoffs. The OL finally came together and while the QBs didn't make many plays they limited their mistakes. NDSU's defense was also playing at a very high level.

FargoBison
January 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The MVFC was down this year, some Bison fans need to give it a rest. The MVFC usually sends a team to at least the semifinals, no team made it this year. No team except NDSU had a good non-conference win. Heck some teams struggled to beat bad teams.

That said the league was young, so there is reason for hope. It wasn't like NDSU had some great team, we were as young as any team and came together at the right time.

Houndawg
January 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
The MVFC was down this year, some Bison fans need to give it a rest. The MVFC usually sends a team to at least the semifinals, no team made it this year. No team except NDSU had a good non-conference win. Heck some teams struggled to beat bad teams.

That said the league was young, so there is reason for hope. It wasn't like NDSU had some great team, we were as young as any team and came together at the right time.

Exactly. The overall level of play will be higher next year.

JSUBison
January 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Exactly. The overall level of play will be higher next year.

Out of conference schedule for the MVFC is shaping up to be more difficult next year as well.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM

A MVFC playoff team took the National Champion into overtime on the road.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Not sure why NDSU loses to Lehigh, NDSU doesn't run close to the same scheme as UNI so there is no way to say that unless the two played. That game is in Fargo no matter what, no way Lehigh outbids NDSU. The only team that could have matched NDSU's bid in the first round was Georgia Southern. But you don't live in reality so I'm sure you'll post some fiction about Lehigh being loaded with money and ready to throw it around like they are the Norte Dame of the FCS.

NDSU was a young a team that found themselves in the playoffs. The OL finally came together and while the QBs didn't make many plays they limited their mistakes. NDSU's defense was also playing at a very high level.

NDSU likely would've had the home game vs. Lehigh, but the NCAA wasn't going to take that chance. So they paired them with RMU.

My point was that NDSU would've lost to Lehigh, even in Fargo, just like UNI lost to Lehigh in Cedar. UNI was better than NDSU was this year (see the game) and UNI couldn't beat Lehigh, so why would NDSU stand a chance?

It's nice a theory you have a bout "finding ourselves". You spin it that way, I spin it as NDSU got a couple nice draws as RMU was an inferior opponent and MSU did not play well, and then it still took NDSU until the 4th qtr in both games to put it away. Yes they were young and I'm as optimistic as you are about next season, but I feel like none of the other NDSU fans on this board are tempering themselves at all on last season. You've thought half were about to commit suicide after the Missouri St game. But ever since NDSU won the two playoff games they're on top of the world and damn if anyone is going to tell them that NDSU and the MVFC for that matter aren't the best. To each his own I guess.

JBB
January 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM

I dont believe it was. Maybe it's you that should give it a rest?

3 teams in the playoffs, 2 last year. NDSU goes further than any MVFC team since I dont know when.

NDSU beats a Big 12 team.

Weaker programs building winners.

In past years the losses were concentrated among the bottom 3 or 4 teams allowing the top tier teams to post more wins. This season there was no real bottom tier. As a result the league had parity as more teams experienced more losses with no clear dominate squad. Even UNI had 2 losses.

There are many years when multiple teams tied for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc. The last time a 2 loss team won the conference was in 2005. There was a 3 way tie for first. Teams had 5-2 records.

In addition, the league is now at 9 teams. It has never been at 9 as far as I could see so comparisons to past years is a little tough. Each team faces the possibility of 1 or 2 more losses than in the past. This year that happened.

NDSU finished their 3 game playoff run in a photo finish with the eventual FCS champions. Based on that, when all was said and done they emerged as the best team in the conference.

ValleyChamp
January 8th, 2011, 08:44 PM
A MVFC playoff team took the National Champion into overtime on the road.

So what gil? What does that matter? How does that speak to the level of overall play in the conference? It doesn't.

I could just as easily point to MSU giving up eleventy billion points to freaking murry st. Or Ill St needing an OT 2 pt conversion to beat a mediocre DII team. Those teams, btw, were both able to beat the bison.

The conference WAS down this year. There is no other way around it. You bison fans are the only people claiming otherwise and I dont know why. If not for the rest of the FCS being a little down as well, and the expanded playoff field we would have only had ONE team in the playoffs.

Your playoff run doesn't mean any less because the conference sucked. Enjoy it and just give this a rest.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Yes it will be a meat grinder, yes there is more parity within the MVC, no that is not the same as the conference being "back up". "Back up", imo, is a better ooc record, I would say the MVC was "back up" this year if we had won our pre-season games against Delaware, SEMO, SFA......... that's what I'm talking about, not parity within the conference.....for some reason this causes certain Bison fans to convulse spasmodically and act out like Tourette's sufferers.........too much time in the dark and cold....

Well, with your reasoning then 2011 will also be a down year for the MV. MSU is playing 2 FBS schools...so is Ind State. Every team is playing a FBS school....so according to you, some of the MV schools better win these games or we will be "down" as a conference.

3 ooc games you mentioned and the season would have been better for the MV if they would have been wins? Those were 3 playoff teams.....now if they were Pioneer,NEC or Patriot teams then yes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry, you're wrong. You can continue to pretend that you're not, but you are.

UNI was the only team that was above-average in conference play this year. That should be obvious to anyone by the conference records. And they lost in the first round, at home, to Lehigh. PS - that would've been NDSU losing at home to Lehigh if the NCAA hadn't wanted to guarantee that NDSU would get the home bid, thus pairing them with a NEC team.

Generally, a strong conference will have at least 3 teams that dominate the conference for the most part. When the middle of the pack teams can and do beat the "top tier" teams in the conference on a weekly basis, throughout the conference schedule, it means that the top teams aren't much better than the average teams.

That was proven when NDSU (a "top" team) went to Missouri St (a "middle team") and put on a despicable, terrible performance and lost the game with the playoffs on the line. That loss would've sealed their fate if I was choosing playoff teams. You don't lose like that on the last week of the season. But the NCAA has to make as much money as they can...so NDSU got in and got to play the most anti-climax first playoff game in Fargodome history that could've happened: against an inferior opponent that would've lost to most of the old NCC teams and in front of a disappointing, thanksgiving crowd.

LOL.....once a troll, always a troll...right mplssue....LOL

I was there for the RMU game and the 12K were louder than most of the games during the year. I'm sure you never made a home game.

Lehigh winning in the FFD just because they beat UNI at their place? I'm sure you would pick the sue to beat us 99/100 times also in the FFD.

NDSU "earned" their bid into the playoffs.

Go back to delivering pizzas.

MPLSGRIZZLY
January 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
The gateway/MVFC has had one team in the title game with no champs in the past decade. Seems like the conference has been down for awhile.

FargoBison
January 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
The gateway/MVFC has had one team in the title game with no champs in the past decade. Seems like the conference has been down for awhile.

Two teams actually, WKU won the title in 2002.

The league has put a team in the semifinals 11 of the past 15 seasons. Has had at least two teams in the playoffs every year since 1995 and the MVFC is the only conference that can say every member has competed in the FCS playoffs.

Yes the league was down this year, but lets not get carried away.

Pards Rule
January 8th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I have never been to that area of the country and it seems like a good weekend to go. I will stock up on Peeps for the trip too :)

Houndawg
January 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Well, with your reasoning then 2011 will also be a down year for the MV. MSU is playing 2 FBS schools...so is Ind State. Every team is playing a FBS school....so according to you, some of the MV schools better win these games or we will be "down" as a conference.

3 ooc games you mentioned and the season would have been better for the MV if they would have been wins? Those were 3 playoff teams.....now if they were Pioneer,NEC or Patriot teams then yes.

Yes, exactly the point! xsmileyclapx

Three losses to playoff-bound ooc teams is an indicator that we are a little down. Not to mention ISU getting taken to OT by a D2 team....

FBS teams don't count.

JBB
January 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Directly from the Golden Arm Committee:

*****FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*****

The MVFC was not down.
Proof to follow

*****end release*****

<<<<<NOTES FOR FURTHER READING>>>>>>

Plenty of evidence has been presented to show the conference was as good as any other year. There has been little if any to show it was down except the 6-way tie for third.

Compare 2009 to 2010 the win differential is 0:

4 teams had better records with 10 more wins
4 teams has worse records with 10 more losses
1 team unchanged.

The greatest improvement was WIU with 5 more wins. Greatest fall off SIU with 4 more losses.

There was tremendous improvement at the bottom of the league and some fall off at the top:

The bottom 3 teams in 2009 had 10 more wins in 2010.
The top 3 teams in 2009 had 6 fewer wins.

Schools that had more wins or no change = 5
schools that had fewer wins or no change = 4

SIU down 4 wins
SDSU down 3 wins
UNI was up by 1 win.
Ill State down by 1 win
YSU down by 3 wins
MSU a wash
NDSU up by 2 wins
Ind S up by 3 wins
WIU up by 5 wins

SIU 8-0 4-4 -4
SDSU 7-1 4-4 -3
UNI 5-3 6-2 +1
Ill S 5-3 4-4 -1
YSU 4-4 1-7 -3
MSU 4-4 4-4 0
NDSU 2-6 4-4 +2
IND S 1-7 4-4 +3
WIU 0-8 5-3 +5

<<<<<end notes>>>>>

The Golden Arm Committee would like to thank JBB for his research. Facts as evidence always trump opinion.

"Thank you JBB"
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

JBB
January 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks you guys, but I didnt do it alone. There were others that understood the situation and had a grasp of the facts. In particular I would like to thank Bison Fan in NW MN.

Thank you Bison Fan in NW MN!

In addition, I would like to mention that I used conference games only. To include OOC games would muddy the waters since there is no evidence to show if the teams played OOC were stronger or weaker from 1 year to the next.

A special mention has to go out to NDSU. They beat a Charter Member Big 12 Squad in one of the classic throw-back games ever played, the University of Kansas Jayhawks 6-3. It was a classic football game played man to man, in the trenches. It sent a very optimistic Jayhawks squad, rated as high as 35 in the country pre-season, into a season-long tailspin. A truly impressive victory for the MVFC and The NDSU BISON.

Thank You NDSU BISON

Houndawg
January 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks you guys, but I didnt do it alone. There were others that understood the situation and had a grasp of the facts. In particular I would like to thank Bison Fan in NW MN.

In addition, I would like to mention that I used conference games only. To include OOC games would muddy the waters since there is no evidence to show if the teams played OOC were stronger or weaker from 1 year to the next.

A special mention has to go out to NDSU. They beat a Charter Member Big 12 Squad in one of the classic throw-back games ever played, the University of Kansas Jayhawks 6-3. It was a classic football game played man to man, in the trenches. It sent a very optimistic Jayhawks squad, rated as high as 35 in the country pre-season, into a season-long tailspin. A truly impressive victory for the MVFC and The NDSU BISON.

I guess there is just no helping someone who wants to be ignurnt.

I'll type this slow jbb: You're looking in the wrong place. How the MVC did against itself is a different thing than how it does ooc. Don't worry, we'll remind you again next year when you're wondering what happened.

JBB
January 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM
You lost the argument so you resort to childish name calling? xconfusedx

The MVFC did just fine OOC this season, mainly because of NDSU and WIU. Big playoff runs and the huge win against Kansas, a charter Member of the Big 12 conference.

The teams that were down in the conference are also the teams that did poorly OOC. The teams that were up in the conference had better luck.

You want tot count bad teams twice? xchinscratchx

MplsBison
January 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
LOL.....once a troll, always a troll...right mplssue....LOL

I was there for the RMU game and the 12K were louder than most of the games during the year. I'm sure you never made a home game.

Lehigh winning in the FFD just because they beat UNI at their place? I'm sure you would pick the sue to beat us 99/100 times also in the FFD.

NDSU "earned" their bid into the playoffs.

Go back to delivering pizzas.

My opinion is well known. But once more for posterity never hurts: NDSU did not deserve to get into the playoffs, in my book, because of the terrible way they ended the season. Just terrible. Not a playoff deserving performance.

We'll never know if NDSU would've beaten Lehigh in the Fargodome (what the heck is the FFD?). But I contend based on NDSU's bad loss to UNI (one of the worse losses of the year in everything except score) and that UNI lost at home to Lehigh, NDSU would've lost to Lehigh as well. Even Robert Morris, a NEC team at the scholarship level of St Cloud St, managed to give NDSU all it wanted for 3 qtrs. Maybe I'd be wrong, but I think I'd be right.

Glad you had fun at the RMU game. But I always thought that when the Fargodome finally got to host a playoff game that it would be a historic event. IE, finally playoff football back in Fargo, sold-out, record crowd against a nationally ranked opponent. Instead, the Dome is treated to an NEC team and 12k turkey-stuffed fans on t-giving when most of the students were not even in town for the holiday. Not the way it was intended to happen, that's for sure (although no one will admit it).

DJKyR0
January 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM
My opinion is well known. But once more for posterity never hurts: NDSU did not deserve to get into the playoffs, in my book, because of the terrible way they ended the season. Just terrible. Not a playoff deserving performance.

We'll never know if NDSU would've beaten Lehigh in the Fargodome (what the heck is the FFD?). But I contend based on NDSU's bad loss to UNI (one of the worse losses of the year in everything except score) and that UNI lost at home to Lehigh, NDSU would've lost to Lehigh as well. Even Robert Morris, a NEC team at the scholarship level of St Cloud St, managed to give NDSU all it wanted for 3 qtrs. Maybe I'd be wrong, but I think I'd be right.

Glad you had fun at the RMU game. But I always thought that when the Fargodome finally got to host a playoff game that it would be a historic event. IE, finally playoff football back in Fargo, sold-out, record crowd against a nationally ranked opponent. Instead, the Dome is treated to an NEC team and 12k turkey-stuffed fans on t-giving when most of the students were not even in town for the holiday. Not the way it was intended to happen, that's for sure (although no one will admit it).

Honest question - it's well-known you're not a Bison fan, but which school do you actually support/cheer for, if any?

MplsBison
January 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Honest question - it's well-known you're not a Bison fan, but which school do you actually support/cheer for, if any?

Of course I'm a NDSU fan, how silly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Of course I'm a NDSU fan, how silly.

Are you serious?

You belittle the Bison in almost every post you have.

THE BISON DESERVED TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Ya, the MSU game was a bad loss but you need to look at the whole season for a playoff bid....and the Bison deserved it. 3-0 in ooc with a win against a BCS school and a 7-4 overall record. 7-4 records have made the playoffs in a 16 team field; so making it this year in a 20 team field does not diminish the accomplishment.

You belittle the 12K fans at the 1st playoff game over X-giving break. All the games were down because of the holiday. Historically, they have all been down on that date. Those 12K fans were awesome in that game. If we would have had a semi-final game it would have been the loudest game to date.

You like to "stir" the pot with your antics.....you did it on BV and bisonsports and you do it on here....fine. But don't say you are a Bison fan when your tone and posts indicate otherwise.

By the way, how many times would the sue beat us in the FFD (fabulous fargodome).....like a good Bison fan that you are, I'm sure it would be 99/100...right.....xcoffeexxcoffeex.......esp this year....

....I'm sure you think their OOC games are just awesome.....Black Hills State, Sioux Falls and Montana Western......yep, that trumps our 2 FCS games and the U of M....

Houndawg
January 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
You lost the argument so you resort to childish name calling? xconfusedx

The MVFC did just fine OOC this season, mainly because of NDSU and WIU. Big playoff runs and the huge win against Kansas, a charter Member of the Big 12 conference.

The teams that were down in the conference are also the teams that did poorly OOC. The teams that were up in the conference had better luck.

You want tot count bad teams twice? xchinscratchx

Not so, jb, WIU wasn't impressive ooc. Beat a mediocre SHSU team and looked weak against a weak playoff opponent.

NDSU was the only Valley team with a respectable ooc record against good opponents, MSU and EWU, and part of that was a "good loss" against the national champs.

So sorry, but the Valley was down. I don't know why you want to take it so personal.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
houndawg this is for you:

MV OOC schedules so far in 2011:

Illinois State: Eastern Ill, Morehead State, South Dakota.....could be 3-0 or 2-1 or 1-2 or 0-3
Indiana State: Penn State, Western Kentucky, Butler......1-2
Missouri State: Arkansas, Oregon, Eastern Kentucky......0-3, maybe 1-2
SDSU: No schedule posted
UNI: No schedule posted
SIU: SE Misouri State, Eastern Ill, Mississippi.....2-1 or 1-2
WIU: No schedule posted
YSU: Michigan State, Valpo, St Francis....2-1
NDSU: Lafayette, St Francis, Minnesota....3-0 or 2-1

**SDSU will probably have a challenging ooc slate and UNI is going to maybe play 2 FBS games now cus of $$ and WIU will probably have a FBS school and 2 lower FCS schools....**

3 teams have not posted but there are some tough schedules in there...esp against FBS schools. There are some "cupcakes" but teams need to get to 7 or 8 wins so playing 3 tough ooc games in not the smartest move. Teams are not going to schedule tough FCS games on the road or travel across the country to play. Now with South Dakota entering the league to make it 10 teams...a good addition, IMO.

So, if most of the teams go 1-2 in the ooc, with all of the FBS games, then the MV will be down again??

I don't see it that way.

JBB
January 9th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Not so, jb, WIU wasn't impressive ooc. Beat a mediocre SHSU team and looked weak against a weak playoff opponent.

NDSU was the only Valley team with a respectable ooc record against good opponents, MSU and EWU, and part of that was a "good loss" against the national champs.

So sorry, but the Valley was down. I don't know why you want to take it so personal.

NDSUs OOC performance was so overwhelming the entire conference was boosted. SIU on the other hand did nothing to improve the stature of the conference either OOC or inter-conference play.

NDSU beat their FBS opponent, no fumbles, no injuries, no excuses. The MVFC stands strong and poised for the future. Because that future is uncertain for UNI and SIU doesnt make the conference down. Get some facts, facts as good as the Golden Arm Committee paid good money for a consultat to present and then maybe you might have an argument. Fact is, the facts are against you.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 05:39 AM
houndawg this is for you:

MV OOC schedules so far in 2011:

Illinois State: Eastern Ill, Morehead State, South Dakota.....could be 3-0 or 2-1 or 1-2 or 0-3
Indiana State: Penn State, Western Kentucky, Butler......1-2
Missouri State: Arkansas, Oregon, Eastern Kentucky......0-3, maybe 1-2
SDSU: No schedule posted
UNI: No schedule posted
SIU: SE Misouri State, Eastern Ill, Mississippi.....2-1 or 1-2
WIU: No schedule posted
YSU: Michigan State, Valpo, St Francis....2-1
NDSU: Lafayette, St Francis, Minnesota....3-0 or 2-1

**SDSU will probably have a challenging ooc slate and UNI is going to maybe play 2 FBS games now cus of $$ and WIU will probably have a FBS school and 2 lower FCS schools....**

3 teams have not posted but there are some tough schedules in there...esp against FBS schools. There are some "cupcakes" but teams need to get to 7 or 8 wins so playing 3 tough ooc games in not the smartest move. Teams are not going to schedule tough FCS games on the road or travel across the country to play. Now with South Dakota entering the league to make it 10 teams...a good addition, IMO.

So, if most of the teams go 1-2 in the ooc, with all of the FBS games, then the MV will be down again??

I don't see it that way.

I don't either if you've been paying attention - I don't count the cupcakes or the FBS teams.

I'm saying that there were several games against ooc competition in the FCS that indicate that the MVC was not as strong as a group as it has been for the last ten years or so, and that among these games were SDSU losing to Delaware, SIU losing to SEMO, and UNI losing to SFA. These were playoff bound teams and we didn't beat any of them. I believe this supports my contention.

As does the fact that two of our three playoff teams were the last ones in and wouldn't have been selected without an expanded field. And that all three MVC contenders were 7-4.

Certain Bison fans are hurling themselves at the cage and flinging feces at the audience because they somehow perceive that pointing out these facts are an insult to their team; their team that was already the best team in the FCS before they even joined the FCS.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM
NDSUs OOC performance was so overwhelming the entire conference was boosted. SIU on the other hand did nothing to improve the stature of the conference either OOC or inter-conference play.

NDSU beat their FBS opponent, no fumbles, no injuries, no excuses. The MVFC stands strong and poised for the future. Because that future is uncertain for UNI and SIU doesnt make the conference down. Get some facts, facts as good as the Golden Arm Committee paid good money for a consultat to present and then maybe you might have an argument. Fact is, the facts are against you.

I thought you were going to drop the ownage-induced schtik? Most have forgotten that you were trying to make us think that your half-witted jabbering that was actually a put on. Besides, kalm did it much better than you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I don't either if you've been paying attention - I don't count the cupcakes or the FBS teams.

I'm saying that there were several games against ooc competition in the FCS that indicate that the MVC was not as strong as a group as it has been for the last ten years or so, and that among these games were SDSU losing to Delaware, SIU losing to SEMO, and UNI losing to SFA. These were playoff bound teams and we didn't beat any of them. I believe this supports my contention.

As does the fact that two of our three playoff teams were the last ones in and wouldn't have been selected without an expanded field. And that all three MVC contenders were 7-4.

Certain Bison fans are hurling themselves at the cage and flinging feces at the audience because they somehow perceive that pointing out these facts are an insult to their team; their team that was already the best team in the FCS before they even joined the FCS.

Agree to disagree.

The 3 games you mentioned are only 3 games in a total of 30 games in the MV ooc schedule....with SDSU the only team "blown-out". You "cherry-picked" the 3 most visible FCS games, which is fine, but they were 3 very good FCS teams. 2 of the 3 got blown-out in their playoff game, by the way. Delaware just got beat by the NC, as did the Bison in OT at their place.

It doesn't matter if you are the last on in....you've made it. Same thing could be said for a 24 or 32 team playoff. When the Bison were D2 (late 90s), Northern Colorado made it into the playoffs as the last team in for 2 yrs (8-3 record) and they won the NC........xwhistlex...doesn't matter if you're the last.

MV was down because they didn't win 3 ooc games against playoff teams...fine. I don't see it that way.

This year's ooc slate looks like all teams will be playing a FBS school, with some playing 2. There are no upper echelon FCS teams on the schedule yet....but when the conference starts then that will happen.

3 7-4 teams made it in. UNI laid an egg. WIU went on the road and won then lost to App State at their place. NDSU beat the #5 seeded team and lost the the NC in OT at their place.....overall, not too bad for a conference that was "down".

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Agree to disagree.

The 3 games you mentioned are only 3 games in a total of 30 games in the MV ooc schedule....with SDSU the only team "blown-out". You "cherry-picked" the 3 most visible FCS games, which is fine, but they were 3 very good FCS teams. 2 of the 3 got blown-out in their playoff game, by the way. Delaware just got beat by the NC, as did the Bison in OT at their place.

It doesn't matter if you are the last on in....you've made it. Same thing could be said for a 24 or 32 team playoff. When the Bison were D2 (late 90s), Northern Colorado made it into the playoffs as the last team in for 2 yrs (8-3 record) and they won the NC........xwhistlex...doesn't matter if you're the last.

MV was down because they didn't win 3 ooc games against playoff teams...fine. I don't see it that way.

This year's ooc slate looks like all teams will be playing a FBS school, with some playing 2. There are no upper echelon FCS teams on the schedule yet....but when the conference starts then that will happen.

3 7-4 teams made it in. UNI laid an egg. WIU went on the road and won then lost to App State at their place. NDSU beat the #5 seeded team and lost the the NC in OT at their place.....overall, not too bad for a conference that was "down".

Yes, I cherry picked three tough teams, because you measure yourself against the better teams. And those results suggest that we aren't as good a a whole, (disregarding the Bison who rebounded and had a good season, but the Bison aren't the whole league, although I suppose we could have a very long thread about that). The fact that two of them wiith victories on the road at MVC stadiums were blown out in their 1st round game supports my contention also. And how often does UNI lose at the dome, (except to SIU), let alone twice in one season? I'm not saying we're bad like the OVC, but we've been better for most of the past ten years. I don't see any Deji Karims or Eric Sanders or Pat Paschalls this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Yes, I cherry picked three tough teams, because you measure yourself against the better teams. And those results suggest that we aren't as good a a whole, (disregarding the Bison who rebounded and had a good season, but the Bison aren't the whole league, although I suppose we could have a very long thread about that). The fact that two of them wiith victories on the road at MVC stadiums were blown out in their 1st round game supports my contention also. And how often does UNI lose at the dome, (except to SIU), let alone twice in one season? I'm not saying we're bad like the OVC, but we've been better for most of the past ten years. I don't see any Deji Karims or Eric Sanders or Pat Paschalls this year.

I haven't looked at all the rosters but NDSU is returning DJ McNorton who finished with 1500+ yds and I think 500 yds receiving. He will be a stud in 2011.

With teams trying to get to 7 or 8 wins, you're not going to consistently have those upper echelon FCS games anymore. Although Montana and Montana State are coming to the FargoDome in the next few yrs. We had Georgia Southern coming here in 2011 but they bought out the game to schedule a "cupcake" home game.

My point is that if you gadge a conference's competitiveness in the wins against other qualtiy FCS schools then it might be considered a "down" year if they don't win them. IMO, a season is based on all 11 or 12 regular season games. Now if everyone lays an egg in the ooc games (1-2 or 0-3 records) then it might be called a down year. But someone could start playing real well at the end of the season and make a run to win the NC.

darell1976
January 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Are you serious?

Ya, the MSU game was a bad loss but you need to look at the whole season for a playoff bid....and the Bison deserved it. 3-0 in ooc with a win against a BCS school and a 7-4 overall record. 7-4 records have made the playoffs in a 16 team field; so making it this year in a 20 team field does not diminish the accomplishment.

You belittle the 12K fans at the 1st playoff game over X-giving break. All the games were down because of the holiday. Historically, they have all been down on that date. Those 12K fans were awesome in that game. If we would have had a semi-final game it would have been the loudest game to date.

You like to "stir" the pot with your antics.....you did it on BV and bisonsports and you do it on here....fine. But don't say you are a Bison fan when your tone and posts indicate otherwise.

By the way, how many times would the sue beat us in the FFD (fabulous fargodome).....like a good Bison fan that you are, I'm sure it would be 99/100...right.....xcoffeexxcoffeex.......esp this year....

....I'm sure you think their OOC games are just awesome.....Black Hills State, Sioux Falls and Montana Western......yep, that trumps our 2 FCS games and the U of M....

He is NOT a Sioux fan either if that is what you are implying. He gave us a tough time over on SS and trust me he is a Bison fan although I think he doesn't bleed the green and yellow like you or JBB does.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I haven't looked at all the rosters but NDSU is returning DJ McNorton who finished with 1500+ yds and I think 500 yds receiving. He will be a stud in 2011.

With teams trying to get to 7 or 8 wins, you're not going to consistently have those upper echelon FCS games anymore. Although Montana and Montana State are coming to the FargoDome in the next few yrs. We had Georgia Southern coming here in 2011 but they bought out the game to schedule a "cupcake" home game.

My point is that if you gadge a conference's competitiveness in the wins against other qualtiy FCS schools then it might be considered a "down" year if they don't win them. IMO, a season is based on all 11 or 12 regular season games. Now if everyone lays an egg in the ooc games (1-2 or 0-3 records) then it might be called a down year. But someone could start playing real well at the end of the season and make a run to win the NC.

Thank you Jesus! That's all I'm sayin' - we were 0-3 against playoff bound teams in the regular season. And yes, a season is based on 11 or twelve games, and we had nobody better than 7-4. And yes, NDSU got it together for a nice run and almost shocked the world, nevertheless, the MVC was a little down this year, both against the other FCS conferences and talent-wise.

TheBisonator
January 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
All I'm gonna say is this:

1) Yes, the MVFC had a down year this year. It wasn't the worst season the conference had by any means, but it was in the lower half of seasons historically. Any Bison fans trying to argue that the MVFC was super-awesome this year need to stop. Now.

2) Despite that fact, which MVFC team did the BEST JOB, that is, played the BEST OVERALL SEASON out of all MVFC teams this year?? Basically, who showed themselves to be the BEST OVERALL TEAM?? You folks have to admit it was NDSU.

There's my two sides to the story. Also, I find it funny that some MVFC fans still find the need to crap all over the Bison even after the season we had. I bet that once we win the NC, you'll all be crowing among the MVFC, "Yeah, but I bet you guys can't win FOUR of them like Youngstown State has!!"

"You can't even get to the playoffs!" Did that.

"You can't even win a playoff game (You can't even win a playoff game against a quality team on the road!)" Check.

"You can't even get a winning season in conference!" I'm sure we'll go 5-3 next year.

"You can't even win a conference championship!"

"You can't even get a #1 ranking when you're eligible!"

"You can't even get to the NC game!"

"You can't even win a national championship!"

"You can't even win multiple national championships!"

"You can't even get the attendnces that Montana/App State get!"

"There's NO WAY you'll be able to compete in FBS!"

And so on and so on and so on...

JSUBison
January 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM

1) Yes, the MVFC had a down year this year. It wasn't the worst season the conference had by any means, but it was in the lower half of seasons historically. Any Bison fans trying to argue that the MVFC was super-awesome this year need to stop. Now.

2) Despite that fact, which MVFC team did the BEST JOB, that is, played the BEST OVERALL SEASON out of all MVFC teams this year?? Basically, who showed themselves to be the BEST OVERALL TEAM?? You folks have to admit it was NDSU.

There's my two sides to the story. Also, I find it funny that some MVFC fans still find the need to crap all over the Bison even after the season we had. I bet that once we win the NC, you'll all be crowing among the MVFC, "Yeah, but I bet you guys can't win FOUR of them like Youngstown State has!!"

"You can't even win a playoff game (You can't even win a playoff game against a quality team on the road!)" Check.

"You can't even get a winning season in conference!" I'm sure we'll go 5-3 next year.

Well the good news is that everybody found a new whipping boy around here in the form of Georgia State fans. If they could get a few more fans posting here, and put together an amazing season, the NDSU hate will all but disappear...xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Thank you Jesus! That's all I'm sayin' - we were 0-3 against playoff bound teams in the regular season. And yes, a season is based on 11 or twelve games, and we had nobody better than 7-4. And yes, NDSU got it together for a nice run and almost shocked the world, nevertheless, the MVC was a little down this year, both against the other FCS conferences and talent-wise.

If you gadge a successful season on how well you do agains playoff FCS teams in ooc games, then you are right.

I said might be a "down" season. In your eyes yes, in mine...no.

Like I said, agree to disagree.

JBB
January 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Be quiet, now! I know you are a god like bison fan from BV but please. You are trying to stifle debate, you are trying to needle folks and you have no right to say others stop pressing a point that is correct. My goodness fellow, get a grip, now.

JBB
January 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM

NDSU also beat the Kansas Jayhawks, a charter Big 12 team first game of the season and did not lose an OOC game until EWU. If it comforts you to have the MVFC down because SIU collapsed and put up the worst year to year showing of any MVFC team thats fine with me. i have put forth the facts refuting your point, thats all I need. The MVFC was as competitive as any other year, has just as much talent and represented itself well. Its true SIU wasnt in that group but WIU and NDSU sure were. What about Ill and Ind State. Both improved over 2009. I agree certain teams were down, 4 of them. Certain teams were better, 4 of them, and 1 had no change.

JBB
January 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM

You have a dog in the fight because SIU was the worst performing team in the league year to year. Your subjective "analysis" that some OOC opponents werent very good and some MFVC teams didnt play as well as you thought they should is proof of nothing. You have used name calling, innuendo, insults and weak logic to support your point. You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how poorly supported it is. The MVFC was as good in 2010 as any other year.

By the way you should have said personally.

darell1976
January 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Unless Sanford throws some money to expand the Fargodome or build a whole new stadium this one will not come true.

MplsBison
January 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Are you serious?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. That poor of a performance does negate the rest of the regular season, in my book. It happens all the time in sports: a team that plays very poorly at the end of the season is likely a team that doesn't get in.

I wasn't belittling anyone that attended the game. I was belittling the fact that the first playoff game in Fargodome history wasn't a historical event. That's what NDSU and the Dome deserved, in my opinion, and they didn't get it. Instead of NDSU playing a nationally ranked progrom in front of a record-breaking crowd, which is what the program, the fans and the Dome deserved, they got a NEC team on a weekend that was bound to have poor attendance. That's what I meant.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
You have a dog in the fight because SIU was the worst performing team in the league year to year. Your subjective "analysis" that some OOC opponents werent very good and some MFVC teams didnt play as well as you thought they should is proof of nothing. You have used name calling, innuendo, insults and weak logic to support your point. You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how poorly supported it is. The MVFC was as good in 2010 as any other year.

xrotatehx There is none so blind as he who will not see, bj.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
NDSU also beat the 3-9 Kansas Jayhawks, a charter Big 12 team first game of the season and did not lose an OOC game until EWU. If it comforts you to have the MVFC down because SIU collapsed and put up the worst year to year showing of any MVFC team thats fine with me. i have put forth the facts refuting your point, thats all I need. The MVFC was as competitive as any other year, has just as much talent and represented itself well. Its true SIU wasnt in that group but WIU and NDSU sure were. What about Ill and Ind State. Both improved over 2009. I agree certain teams were down, 4 of them. Certain teams were better, 4 of them, and 1 had no change.

What about ISU and ISU and WIU? We beat all of them and UNI too, what was your record against them, 1-3?

Sorry, bj, there aren't any Eric Sanders or Deji Karims this year, not even a Pat Paschall.

Houndawg
January 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Worst performing team in the league this year! Every time you open your mouth, bj, you display a fundamental lack of knowlege about the game of football.

SIU was the MVC's number one defense, bj. xnodx

No way they would have choked like you did against EWU.xnonox

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 11th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Worst performing team in the league this year! Every time you open your mouth, bj, you display a fundamental lack of knowlege about the game of football.

SIU was the MVC's number one defense, bj. xnodx

No way they would have choked like you did against EWU.xnonox

Whooooaa....just a minute there houndawg.

Where did that #1 defense take you? I think NDSU had the best scoring defense.

SIU had a lot of injuries this year that hampered their success. I don't think their defense would have done any better against EWU.

Houndawg
January 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Whooooaa....just a minute there houndawg.

Where did that #1 defense take you? I think NDSU had the best scoring defense.

SIU had a lot of injuries this year that hampered their success. I don't think their defense would have done any better against EWU.

Took us all the way to crapsville, but for most of the year we played freshmen DBs and had a walk on in the rotation. Don't count us out of next season yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Took us all the way to crapsville, but for most of the year we played freshmen DBs and had a walk on in the rotation. Don't count us out of next season yet.

I wont count anyone out in the MV next year.

Lennon is a good coach and will have the Salukis ready to go in Sept.

Houndawg
January 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM

I think you'll see parity similar to this year and conference-wide the level of play will be up.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
My eyes hurt from the amount of stupid in this thread. --- I made it to page 16.

Houndawg
January 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM
You missed the best part.xlolx

I know it ain't right to keep teasin' ol' jb just to watch him hurl himself at the cage in a chattering rage and fling feces, but it's kind of fascinating to watch and you have to wonder just how long he can continue....

da_Bison
January 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I come here every day a keep seeing this damn thread is still alive, damnnnnnnnn guys, boredom? sad thing is there's 8+ months till football!

JBB
January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM

My observations:

Lennon is an FBS coaching hopeful, with a program on the downswing that he has to bring to the Fabulous Fargo Dome.

Houndawg is a troll, especially when he loses an argument. His opinion does not trump fact and his insults are not persuasive to the point at hand. His last resort, the usual last resort of all blubbering fools, is the personal attack. He admits he has nothing to say. I think we call those types empty suits, all hat no cattle, all buckle no ranch, drugstore cowboy, big car no gas, etc etc

The rest of the clowns that have brought nothing to the thread are, well, clowns.

Now back to the inane jabber and self admitting baiting of houndawg and his swollen tongue.

Houndawg
January 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
My observations:

Now back to the inane jabber and self admitting baiting of houndawg and his swollen tongue.

Ain't no sucker like an all day sucker.

Jb, you sound just a mite peevish today. I don't see why you insist on getting so bent out of shape about winning the conference in a down year; it's a conference championship and you should relax and enjoy it like your brethren are. I'm going to give you some more schoolin' since it's becoming habit and because I understand that winning at this level is a new experience for you so here is a tip to help you look like you have a clue - (which you would have if you'd pay better attention when I'm trying to educate you about the game of football, a game you obviously haven't played in its organized form):

1) Act like you've been there before. (Enjoy the moment jb, you never know when you'll be back again at this level.)

2) Never let them see you sweat. (Posts like your last one only serve to highlight both your fundamental ignorance of football, which is taken for granted around here by now, and your thin skin about your ignorance of the game as shown by your whimpering about mean ol' houndawg who thinks the MVC is down.)

3) If you're going to hang out with winners, jb, you need to buck up and start acting like one, first step is to quit sniveling.

I hope this helps, jb, just remeber that because somebody has to be your programs dimmest fan doesn't mean it has to be you.

Work on this during the off season and it will help you next year when the MVC is playing at a higher level.

JSUBison
January 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Too bad Lakes is banned here, he could tell Houndawg that Lennon can't win without Kill's recruits....

darell1976
January 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
xpopcornx

gjw007
January 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I can't but help but wonder why this thread is still going. NDSU had a good year, they made it to the playoff, they defeated a team in its first home playoff game at the FCS level, they ended up losing to the eventually national champion in a close game; all-in-all, it appears to be a wonderful year and something that Bison fans should be proud of and something to build on as the 2011 schedule has some nice games in it. Why the personal attacks?

Houndawg
January 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
No big deal, its only jb, he gets a little pissy when you suggest that there have been stronger years in the MVC than this one. Bison have to be a finalist for turn-around-of-the-season and looked good in the playoffs, you'd think that would be enough for anybody given what a crap shoot it is to even make them; he seems to think that the fact the conference had a down year somehow diminishes the Bison's effort. You just can't get through to that guy; you offer advice or critique to someone who clearly doesn't comprehend the finer point s of the game and he freaks out and goes ad hominem in a stuttering rage and starts jibbering about an underground football stadium.......xrotatehx....it's hard to resist.....

darell1976
January 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
No big deal, its only jb, he gets a little pissy when you suggest that there have been stronger years in the MVC than this one. Bison have to be a finalist for turn-around-of-the-season and looked good in the playoffs, you'd think that would be enough for anybody given what a crap shoot it is to even make them; he seems to think that the fact the conference had a down year somehow diminishes the Bison's effort. You just can't get through to that guy; you offer advice or critique to someone who clearly doesn't comprehend the finer point s of the game and he freaks out and goes ad hominem in a stuttering rage and starts jibbering about an underground football stadium.......xrotatehx....it's hard to resist.....

I think the question for NDSU in 2011 is can they keep this up every year and not be a one year wonder like SDSU was. (no offense Jacks).

Houndawg
January 13th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I think the question for NDSU in 2011 is can they keep this up every year and not be a one year wonder like SDSU was. (no offense Jacks).

Nobody can keep it up every year, the two longest playoff appearance streaks ended this year. I don't think some of your guys like jbb and lakes understand how tough it is. It's entirely possible that the Bison, or anybody else, could be a better team next season and not make the playoffs. If that happens I don't think some of your less educated fans like the aforementioned will understand.

darell1976
January 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Nobody can keep it up every year, the two longest playoff appearance streaks ended this year. I don't think some of your guys like jbb and lakes understand how tough it is. It's entirely possible that the Bison, or anybody else, could be a better team next season and not make the playoffs. If that happens I don't think some of your less educated fans like the aforementioned will understand.

I think they and a lot of fans of teams that move up see it (make the playoffs) year after year in D2 but need to realize this is NOT D2 football. NDSU big powerhouse in the 80's and 90's, UND big powerhouse in the 90's and 2000's...Welcome to the majors its a whole new ballgame.

DJKyR0
January 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
So uh, back to the thread's subject material - I think the Bison can realistically go 9-2 or better. Can't chalk Minnesota up to a win (if Brewster was there I'd say it's as good a bet to be a W) as who knows how well Kill will do there. I think this is the year we finally get a victory over the hated Panthers of Northern Iowa and all in all we've got pretty decent road games. Indiana State will be improving and could be a surprise loss, I think Southern Illinois could be tough next year. Western Illinois is something of a question mark but after seeing how they absolutely fell apart in '09 I'm not optimistic about how fast they'll reload after losing Barr. Missouri State @ NDSU should be a blood bath. Can't wait to head to Brookings for the SDSU game, should be a Bison W.

TheBisonator
January 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Here's what I have for now as far as predicting 2011:

Wins:

St. Francis (PA)
Lafayette
Northern Iowa (Bison players have this one marked in red ink so hard it's bled thru the calendar. There's also a wad of spit stuck to UNI's name in that box.)
Missouri State
Illinois State
@ Indiana State (This is a good team now, but I think NDSU still holds the talent edge.)
Youngstown State

Probable Losses:
@ Southern Illinois

Toss-up:

@ South Dakota State
@ Minnesota
@ Western Illinois

Even if we lose 2 of the 3 toss-ups we're 8-3, but we won't win the conference if the lone win is Minnesota out of that bunch. I would trade aN MVFC win over WIU or SDSU over a win over the Goophs, only if we played the Goophs well.

gjw007
January 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I think they and a lot of fans of teams that move up see it (make the playoffs) year after year in D2 but need to realize this is NOT D2 football. NDSU big powerhouse in the 80's and 90's, UND big powerhouse in the 90's and 2000's...Welcome to the majors its a whole new ballgame.

Let's be fair. NDSU has had some great teams prior to the 80s and 90s. Here is a list of their championships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_State_Bison_football):
College Division National Championships

* 1965, 1968, 1969

[edit] Division II National Championships

* 1969, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990[1]

[edit] Division II Runners-Up

* 1981, 1984

As far as UND, it also won the Camelia Bowl in 1972, was undefeated and ranked number 1 in the late seventies before being defeated by Mississippi College (1979). This is a decade where UND played teams such as Minnesota and Wisconsin. It should have beat Minnesota but let the win slip away in the second meeting.

Both programs have a long history of being competitive. I would not expect that to change but the coach does make a great difference (i.e. Pat Behrns era @ UND as an example, the jury is still out on its present coach (UND) given the transition scheduling difficulties).

A team could be better the next year and still have a worse record. I think NDSU will be stronger next year. I don't see them beating Minnesota especially since they (Minnesota) no longer have a coach who doesn't understand the game (good salesman though).

DJKyR0
January 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Here's what I have for now as far as predicting 2011:

Wins:

St. Francis (PA)
Lafayette
Northern Iowa (Bison players have this one marked in red ink so hard it's bled thru the calendar. There's also a wad of spit stuck to UNI's name in that box.)
Missouri State
Illinois State
@ Indiana State (This is a good team now, but I think NDSU still holds the talent edge.)
Youngstown State

Probable Losses:
@ Southern Illinois

Toss-up:

@ South Dakota State
@ Minnesota
@ Western Illinois

Even if we lose 2 of the 3 toss-ups we're 8-3, but we won't win the conference if the lone win is Minnesota out of that bunch. I would trade aN MVFC win over WIU or SDSU over a win over the Goophs, only if we played the Goophs well.

If we're talking talent edge then take SIU out of the "probable loss" box and put it in toss-up, with the advantage to NDSU. I don't consider U of M a toss up. UNI isn't a probable win, they're going to be tough next year.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM

This isnt the majors, this is the farm league dont kid yourself.

JBB
January 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My eyes hurt from the amount of stupid in this thread. --- I made it to page 16.

This isnt the majors, this is the farm league dont kid yourself.

And there is a second helping of stupid for everyone to enjoy, thanks 26. You are a self-fulfilling prophesy:
Stupid is as stupid does. Houndog sucks too. Sore loser. Lennon bad coach with a good reputation. How long will that last? D2 coach out of his league going into year 3 with Kills recruits.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
And there is a second helping of stupid for everyone to enjoy, thanks 26. You are a self-fulfilling prophesy: Houndog sucks too. Sore loser. Lennon bad coach with a good reputation. How long will that last? D2 coach out of his league going into year 3 with Kills recruits.

lolumadbro?

__________________________________________________ __
I heard the kids in the CFL call that the majors, people who play basketball in the D-League too.

The FCS is great, and the playoff system is fantastic. But the level of competition is below the level played in the FBS especially in the BCS. To call it the Majors, when its clearly not the top tier is to be...idk what you wanna call it.

Definitions of major league on the Web:

the most important league in any sport (especially baseball)

An association of sports teams which plays at the highest skill level of its sport, especially Major League Baseball; Of or pertaining to a major sports league; Analogous in importance to a major league sports team

Houndawg
January 14th, 2011, 03:39 AM
And there is a second helping of stupid for everyone to enjoy, thanks 26. You are a self-fulfilling prophesy: Houndog sucks too. Sore loser. Lennon bad coach with a good reputation. How long will that last? D2 coach out of his league going into year 3 with Kills recruits.

xlmaox

Why, jb, you sound a little dyspeptic this fine evening. Are we PMSing?

If you had a lick of sense you'd let this thread die instead of using it to advertise your ignorance of the game for 21 pages. And this thing of taking an observation that everybody in the league agrees with as a personal insult to your team is flat out strange. You need to check yosef, bro. Good to see you losing the lame schtick that is embarrassing to Bison and MVC fans everywhere, though. We have not been laughing with you.

And it's spelled "houndawg".

Pull yosef together, son. You making us all look bad.xsmhx

edit: And what's up with dragging Lennon into your fantasy world? He never said anything about the MVC being down this year, although he would agree with everybody but you that it is.

Poly's Brutality
January 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Um...you sure you want to do this? I don't want to burst your bubble or anything....but ok, since you asked:

USNWR rankings:
UC Davis - 39 National Universities (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/davis-ca/uc-davis-1313)
Cal Poly - 6th regional universities, west (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/san-luis-obispo-ca/cal-poly-1143)

Note the difference between being 39th best in the nation vs being the 6th best regional university in the west. Not even in the same league.

AAU: http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

UC Davis is a member, Cal poly is not (nor is any campus in the lower ranked CSU system, while many of the campuses in the highly ranked UC system are)

Research expenditures (2008 - the latest NSF data): http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf10311/pdf/tab31.pdf

UC Davis - 16th - $642,519 thousand
Cal Poly - 257th - $14,866 thousand

Again, not even in the same league.

Hey Captain PHD (know what that means) don't worry about bursting any bubbles with those goofy assumptions, check your facts. Start with different categories of ratings, etc., not conclusions about linking 'regionals' with 'nationals'. For 18 years Cal Poly has been named the best public-master’s university in the West by those U.S. News & World Report Rankings.

More facts, sure you care: Wall Street Journal deemed Cal Poly’s business and engineering grads the best hires in the nation in a September 2010 poll. Cal Poly 27th in Forbes’s top 100 public universities. Orfalea College of Business there is 64th on “Business Week’s” top business school list, one of four California schools that made the list, one of two public schools to appear on the list. Check Kiplinger, Forbes magazine, DesignIntelligence, The Wall Street Journal …. Other examples, check the architecture ratings, graphic communication program one of eight nationwide to receive Accrediting Council national accreditation, aerospace engineering deemed by “Aviation Week & Space Technology” first in the nation for recruiting, etc, etc. Sure you're the expert though.

Here's more food for thought from Forbes: “The great role model for higher-education-driven growth has been California. The Golden State’s master plan for education — developed under Pat Brown in 1960 — created an elaborate multi-tiered public system that offered students a low-cost and generally high-quality alternative education. Over the next half century, California became, in historian Kevin Starr’s phrase, a “utopia for higher education,” as well as a model for other states and much of the world.
“Forbes recently analyzed the financial health of more than 150 public institutions to help parents and prospective students determine whether a college might face tuition hikes or service cutbacks during the next four years. Earlier this week, we noted the 10 colleges that are facing the greatest risks. Not surprisingly, half of them were in California.
Students in North Dakota shouldn’t worry, however. The University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University came out the strongest in our list, in large part because the state is not running a deficit.”

How will deficit (or not) affect 1-AA football?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Nice to have 6 home games again this year. I would hate to be a Missouri State fan with only 4 home games in 2011 with the first being on Oct 1st......OUCH!!! 2 FBS games....must need the $$.

Maybe our 6 home games will turn into 9 home games....xhurrayxxhurrayx

GO BISON

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hey Captain PHD (know what that means) don't worry about bursting any bubbles with those goofy assumptions, check your facts. Start with different categories of ratings, etc., not conclusions about linking 'regionals' with 'nationals'. For 18 years Cal Poly has been named the best public-master’s university in the West by those U.S. News & World Report Rankings.

More facts, sure you care: Wall Street Journal deemed Cal Poly’s business and engineering grads the best hires in the nation in a September 2010 poll. Cal Poly 27th in Forbes’s top 100 public universities. Orfalea College of Business there is 64th on “Business Week’s” top business school list, one of four California schools that made the list, one of two public schools to appear on the list. Check Kiplinger, Forbes magazine, DesignIntelligence, The Wall Street Journal …. Other examples, check the architecture ratings, graphic communication program one of eight nationwide to receive Accrediting Council national accreditation, aerospace engineering deemed by “Aviation Week & Space Technology” first in the nation for recruiting, etc, etc. Sure you're the expert though.

Here's more food for thought from Forbes: “The great role model for higher-education-driven growth has been California. The Golden State’s master plan for education — developed under Pat Brown in 1960 — created an elaborate multi-tiered public system that offered students a low-cost and generally high-quality alternative education. Over the next half century, California became, in historian Kevin Starr’s phrase, a “utopia for higher education,” as well as a model for other states and much of the world.
“Forbes recently analyzed the financial health of more than 150 public institutions to help parents and prospective students determine whether a college might face tuition hikes or service cutbacks during the next four years. Earlier this week, we noted the 10 colleges that are facing the greatest risks. Not surprisingly, half of them were in California.
Students in North Dakota shouldn’t worry, however. The University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University came out the strongest in our list, in large part because the state is not running a deficit.”

How will deficit (or not) affect 1-AA football?

Don't waste your time and effort on mplsioux.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hi, new guy from mpls here.
I can't see NDSU losing more than 2 games next year(gophers & 1 slip up)
Seed in playoffs makes a huge difference.
Ndsu has huge talent, and will play at an elite level from here on out

Kill will have the Gophers ready this year but with new offensive and defensive schemes; the Bison will be in this game. Bison have a very good chance of winning this one.....run the ball and play good defense -- recipe for success.

Bison need to take care of business during the regular season. Win the MV and the playoffs will take care of itself.