PDA

View Full Version : 1 play away

Milktruck74
December 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
We were one play away from having GSU and NDSU in the Final Four. Two teams that probably wouldn't have made the field of 16. I love the playoffs, they make it fun to be a fan!!!xsmileyclapx

apaladin
December 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
That would have also put 3 at large teams that finished the season with 7-4 records in the final 4. Looks like if you're in a power conference(SoCon, CAA) 7-4 will most likely get you in with the success of this year's 7-4 teams. Certainly no need to take 2 teams again from the MEAC, Ohio Valley etc.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
That would have also put 3 at large teams that finished the season with 7-4 records in the final 4. Looks like if you're in a power conference(SoCon, CAA) 7-4 will most likely get you in with the success of this year's 7-4 teams. Certainly no need to take 2 teams again from the MEAC, Ohio Valley etc.

For now I agree, but the beauty of the playoffs is that those conferences have the chance to prove themselves and start rightfully earning multiple berths in the future. If over the next few years somehow the MEAC or OVC AQs start making it past the first round, perhaps then we can start talking about adding 2 for each. As it stands, I wouldn't be totally against the PL getting two next year depending on the end of season records, and letting the PFL at least get 1.

Milktruck74
December 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM
the results of this year give some validity to the expansion to 20 argument....whats next 24? I wouldn't mind seeing that but I know the NCAA is concerned with "Bracket Creep". Mens BB started with 32, its now 64 with play-in pigtails. I think 20 is good, 24 would be fine, but I really hope we dont go to that "Everybody deserves to participate" mentality (ie 35 Bowl Games).