PDA

View Full Version : Officials for this Saturday

GSUAlumniEagle
December 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm a pretty avid reader of a forum frequented by NCAA officials (since I'm trying to become one). Asked which conference was doing each of the Quarters. These are the responses I have received. They've never been wrong before.

NDSU @ EWU - Colonial
Villanova @ App - Missouri Valley
Georgia Southern @ Wofford - ACC
No word yet on UNH @ Delaware

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
You have a link for that site?

GannonFan
December 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I'm a pretty avid reader of a forum frequented by NCAA officials (since I'm trying to become one). Asked which conference was doing each of the Quarters. These are the responses I have received. They've never been wrong before.

I could actually scream if we get MEACed again. Where's a damn NEC or Patriot crew when you need one???

GSUAlumniEagle
December 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
You have a link for that site?

refstripes.com

GSUAlumniEagle
December 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I could actually scream if we get MEACed again. Where's a damn NEC or Patriot crew when you need one???

Speaking of the MEAC, here's a video link of their female White Hat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RB9y_V1YHs

Someone has to adjust the treble when she's on the mic. The high pitched voice is just distracting.

biggie
December 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Sweet, could hear a MEAC official once again on ESPN2 call Del, Del St.

Better them than us, MV is not the worst we could do.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
GSUAlumniEagle- If you wouldn't mind, it seems like more than a few to get registered on that site, can you ask them in that thread if the know what official crew will do the UD/UNH game?

GSUAlumniEagle
December 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM
GSUAlumniEagle- If you wouldn't mind, it seems like more than a few to get registered on that site, can you ask them in that thread if the know what official crew will do the UD/UNH game?

Looks like somebody has already beat me to it.

I posted and asked for each of the games. Generally, they respond once they receive word that either a) they; b) someone from their conference; or c) someone they know will be working the game.

The fact that they haven't responded tells me that they don't know yet.

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM

NDSU @ EWU - Colonial

Quite a journey for the CAA crew.

gasoutherneagle
December 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
If by some miracle we can get the ACC's #1 crew, they are REALLY good. The best part is (for both GSU and Wofford), less clipping and other like calls involved with the Triple Option because they've seen Georgia Tech for three years now. None the less, any ACC crew will be a good fit for an Option-only contest like this one.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Confirmed a Big Sky crew will do the UD/UNH game.

danefan
December 8th, 2010, 10:13 PM
If by some miracle we can get the ACC's #1 crew, they are REALLY good. The best part is (for both GSU and Wofford), less clipping and other like calls involved with the Triple Option because they've seen Georgia Tech for three years now. None the less, any ACC crew will be a good fit for an Option-only contest like this one.

Not sure if it really matters or not, but the ACC crew is really the Big South crew. They share refs, although I understand that the top ACC crews don't really do the Big South games.

eaglewraith
December 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Not sure if it really matters or not, but the ACC crew is really the Big South crew. They share refs, although I understand that the top ACC crews don't really do the Big South games.

We had Jack Childress's crew for the CCU game, and he's the best head official in the ACC

danefan
December 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
We had Jack Childress's crew for the CCU game, and he's the best head official in the ACC

Hopefully that's the case again, because there's nothing worse then a playoff game with terrible officials.

SpiritCymbal
December 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Where's a damn NEC or Patriot crew when you need one???

Not so sure you want an NEC crew. W&M and Eagle fans will both agree that the one we had last week didn't seem like they knew what was going on.

Nova/App are in for a world of hurt if they get the same MVC crew we did in our game vs. SCSU. That was without a doubt the absolute worst crew ever to ref a game (and coming from a SoCon member, that really says something!)

JSUBison
December 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM

NDSU @ EWU - Colonial

I'd like to apologize to App State and Villanova right now. You guys will understand in a few days.

Wildcat80
December 8th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Confirmed a Big Sky crew will do the UD/UNH game.

Opinions?? Gotta be better then the crew we had for BCu!

BlueHenSinfonian
December 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM

What crew did you have for the BCU game?

As long as it isn't a MEAC crew, there isn't too much to complain about.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:32 PM

NDSU @ EWU - Colonial

Thank god, villanova just won.

App st, kiss your playoff dreams goodbye due to 500 yds in penaltys.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM

They dont ever throw a flag.

I suggest your players suplex the opposing QB atleast 5 times in the first qt.

There like inverse MVFC refs.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
What crew did you have for the BCU game?

As long as it isn't a MEAC crew, there isn't too much to complain about.

HA! you havent seen a mvfc lately then.

Every other drive will be a 4 and out due to phantom holding.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
They dont ever throw a flag.

I suggest your players suplex the opposing QB atleast 5 times in the first qt.

There like inverse MVFC refs.

Southland refs are fantastic compared to both bigsky and MVFC refs. Quite impressed with them so far.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Of the refs I've seen this year..

SLC
Big Sky
MVFC
MEAC(both games I watched were just brutal and since they were ESPN games I assume they must have been their top crews)

pokefan02
December 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Southland officials are Big 12, C-USA(C-USA might start next year I can't remember) also so sometimes they are acceptable

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM

SLC
Big Sky
MVFC
MEAC(both games I watched were just brutal and since they were ESPN games I assume they must have been their top crews)

Havent seen MEAC, but i would put a dot imbetween Bigsky and mvfc, just cause i prefer no rules to too many rules. :P

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2010, 05:38 AM

If you get an NEC crew I hope they're better than the one that was in Williamsburg last week. They didn't end up deciding the game, but it wasn't for lack of effort (or non-effort in a couple of cases). GSU has had bad crews for both their games. The OVC guys they had the first week didn't even know the rules.

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Speaking of officials, who was the crew that worked the UNH/BC game last week? They whistled UNH 19 times for 151 yards, and BC 8 times for 84 yards. Talk about imposing yourself on a game!

UD77
December 9th, 2010, 07:02 AM

At the coaches show last night, KC was asked about the MEAC officials - he was very kind in his comments - at least they would explain why they made the bad call that they made (my re-wirte of his quote).

He said that the Big Sky would be on this game. KC said that the head ref did one of our games in the past and he felt that at least the head ref was very good.

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I have to agree about the pity the poor bastards who get hosed by the MVFC refs. Absolutely love to hear themselves on the PA. Oh and whoever we got in the first round for the RMU game those guys were pretty bad to. That crap call on a hit that was in bounds but the douche ref flagged our guy for a "late hit" had to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. But anyway all I can say is I hope no team gets hosed to the point where the refs are a deciding factor in the outcome of the game. Hate to see all the hard work for a year by players and coaches get swept under the rug by a horse**** reffing crew.

UD77
December 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Another thing - apparently they will be using replays and reviews on all plays. Not sure how that is going to work with timing, etc.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have to agree about the pity the poor bastards who get hosed by the MVFC refs. Absolutely love to hear themselves on the PA. Oh and whoever we got in the first round for the RMU game those guys were pretty bad to. That crap call on a hit that was in bounds but the douche ref flagged our guy for a "late hit" had to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen. But anyway all I can say is I hope no team gets hosed to the point where the refs are a deciding factor in the outcome of the game. Hate to see all the hard work for a year by players and coaches get swept under the rug by a horse**** reffing crew.

That game was big sky, montana state game was southland.

UNH72Plus
December 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Speaking of officials, who was the crew that worked the UNH/BC game last week? They whistled UNH 19 times for 151 yards, and BC 8 times for 84 yards. Talk about imposing yourself on a game!

UNH got flagged for six off side calls, several of which it appeared that the offender got back on side before the snap, with no contact, or induced movement by the offense line. On two of the calls the refs whistled the plays dead, taking away the "free play" for BCU.

danefan
December 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM

ACC/Big South officials. The same crew that did the W&M vs. UNC game actually.

bluehenbillk
December 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Replay involved for both TV games this week - 1st time ever for the quarters.

GaSouthern
December 9th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Replay involved for both TV games this week - 1st time ever for the quarters.

What about the GSU game which is going to be on ESPN3/MASN/WJCL Fox in Savannah? No Replay for us?

bluehenbillk
December 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Don't know about the GSU & EWU games.

SpeedkingATL
December 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM

If that's the case then this game will be like any SoCon game where the flags fly early and often and if you breath on a player going out of bounds or a QB a split second after he releases the ball you can bet on a flag. Lots of interesting pass interference calls and strangely lots of offensive holding calls not flagged. Business as usual.

Side Judge
December 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM
At the coaches show last night, KC was asked about the MEAC officials - he was very kind in his comments - at least they would explain why they made the bad call that they made (my re-wirte of his quote).

He said that the Big Sky would be on this game. KC said that the head ref did one of our games in the past and he felt that at least the head ref was very good.

Aside from the phantom PI and horse-collar calls (which extended Lehigh drives after they were stopped on 3rd down (PI) or had fumbled the ball away (horse-collar - really a decent shoulder tackle by MM11), at least the MEAC officials let the teams play (and subsequently missed holds, an intentional grounding, and a dead-ball hit (albeit glancing) on Devlin). On the PI the back judge made a point of coming over to KC at the first TV time-out and explaining what he saw - apparently an arm-bar on the UD defender - even while KC was still fuming. They were better than the crew at the '07 NC game.

SpeedkingATL
December 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Aside from the phantom PI and horse-collar calls (which extended Lehigh drives after they were stopped on 3rd down (PI) or had fumbled the ball away (horse-collar - really a decent shoulder tackle by MM11), at least the MEAC officials let the teams play (and subsequently missed holds, an intentional grounding, and a dead-ball hit (albeit glancing) on Devlin). On the PI the back judge made a point of coming over to KC at the first TV time-out and explaining what he saw - apparently an arm-bar on the UD defender - even while KC was still fuming. They were better than the crew at the '07 NC game.

That crew at the 07 Championship Game really set the bar high!!!!

Mr. C
December 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM

NDSU @ EWU - Colonial

Glad there will not be CAA officials at the App State-Villanova game. The ones who worked the ASU-WIU game on Staurday were truly dreadful. Worst officiated game thus far in this year's playoffs.

danefan
December 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Glad there will not be CAA officials at the App State-Villanova game. The ones who worked the ASU-WIU game on Staurday were truly dreadful. Worst officiated game thus far in this year's playoffs.

You must not have watched the UNH-BCU game. That was horrid.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM

I didn't watch that game, but the CAA officials are usually very solid. There was never a chance of them doing this game though since Villanova is a CAA team.

NDB
December 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM

We'll it looks like if the Bison win they are going to Boone, because even cross-country MVFC refs won't miss a chance to screw NDSU.

eaglewraith
December 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Don't know about the GSU & EWU games.

What about the GSU game which is going to be on ESPN3/MASN/WJCL Fox in Savannah? No Replay for us?

Replay will be implemented in all games from this point forward.

Dblue
December 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM

SLC
Big Sky
MVFC

I guess we all have our own opinions of ref crews but after watching a ton of games online this year I'm surprised you regard SLC refs so highly. The games I saw seemed to be flag after flag after flag........
One game stands out so I went back to check.......McNeese was whistled 16 times for 146 yards against SFA. The homer SFA announcers were loving it but it took a lot away from the game. Let's hope the games this weekend aren't decided by the guys in the striped shirts.

Mr. C
December 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I didn't watch that game, but the CAA officials are usually very solid. There was never a chance of them doing this game though since Villanova is a CAA team.
I understand how playoff officiating assignments work. I see CAA games all of the time, so I am well aware of their strengths and weaknesses. I still remember that JMU-Villanova game this season where the officials had all sorts of trouble with timing issues, figuring out how to mark off personal fouls on two players, etc. Yuck.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I guess we all have our own opinions of ref crews but after watching a ton of games online this year I'm surprised you regard SLC refs so highly. The games I saw seemed to be flag after flag after flag........
One game stands out so I went back to check.......McNeese was whistled 16 times for 146 yards against SFA. The homer SFA announcers were loving it but it took a lot away from the game. Let's hope the games this weekend aren't decided by the guys in the striped shirts.

Well the officials we had at Montana State were great. Didn't throw too many flags and even picked up a flag on what would have been a very iffy hit out of bounds call. I can't really remember anything bad from previous games at SLC stadiums.

The BSC refs we had the week before were just garbage, they threw a flag on a hit where a guy was about a yard away from the sideline. The game got so chippy I'm surprised they didn't lose control of it, after every play RMU was saying something and pushing somebody. Heck the RMU team even got into a fight amongst themselves before the game was over.

As for MVFC refs I've seen far too many throw flags and decide games by on borderline calls. MEAC refs are just plain bad.

gt_bison
December 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I'm astounded to see people glad to be inflicted with ACC refs. ACC refs are probably second worst of the BCS AQ leagues (Pac-10 was worse this year). They usually don't throw around too many flags, so that's a positive for you. However, they are completely incapable of calling offensive holding. Every once-in-a-while, a coach will yell and scream enough that they'll call it just to appease, but it's not common. (When they do throw flags, they throw a zillion of them, however.) The only good thing for Georgia Southern will be that Paul Johnson has finally taught them what a chop block is. First two seasons they were awful, but this year the only times they threw flags for chop blocks were legit from what I recall. (For the uninitiated, the issue is that if the DL initiates contact or the second OL's contact is incidental in trying to get to the second level, it generally shouldn't be ruled a chop block.)

Any word on who's working in the replay booths? Presumably they're having to bring them in from FBS crews and will use somewhat local people, so I'm thinking Pac-10 (ugh), WAC, or MWC in Cheney.