http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

LehighFan11
December 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Delaware -6
App St -3
Wofford -1.5
EWU -5.5

On 5dimes.com

Surprised the App St line wasn't slightly higher given the public money App St should get since they are home.

EdubAlum
December 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Delaware -6
App St -3
Wofford -1.5
EWU -5.5

On 5dimes.com

Surprised the App St line wasn't slightly higher given the public money App St should get since they are home.

how well do these guys do on FCS games? I mean they must do their research if they're putting money on the line, but are they as good as the FBS lines usually are?

Black Saturday
December 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Delaware -6
App St -3
Wofford -1.5
EWU -5.5

On 5dimes.com

As an APP fan as long as it is a 1 point win, I don't care. Really surprised the reigning champs aren't road favorites? I think Villanova should be favored, hell they just scored 50+ points and dominated the #5 team in the land. They have the superstar back to form, why not? Got a feeling it's going to be a long day for my Mountaineers. sheesh.

GSUhooligan
December 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Delaware -6
App St -3
Wofford -1.5
EWU -5.5

On 5dimes.com

Awesome. Since line-makers usually give 3 points for home field advantage, we'd be favorites at home. Thanks again Sam.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
As an APP fan as long as it is a 1 point win, I don't care. Really surprised the reigning champs aren't road favorites? I think Villanova should be favored, hell they just scored 50+ points and dominated the #5 team in the land. They have the superstar back to form, why not? Got a feeling it's going to be a long day for my Mountaineers. sheesh.

No way. App St. is #1 in the country. They deserve to be favored, especially at home. According to this line, if it was at Nova, the line would be Nova -3. Home field advantage definitely makes Nova the underdog.

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
The line is what I would expect. Teams rate even with the 3 points for home field to App. It would be the reverse at Nova. Hope we pack The Rock for this one. You couldn't get a better round 3 matchup.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM
According to this line, if it was at Nova, the line would be Nova -3.

No, it wouldn't...

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Why not? 3 points are given to the home team. If it's at Nova, take away the 3 given to App, and give the 3 to Nova.

KiddBrewer
December 7th, 2010, 11:03 PM
how well do these guys do on FCS games? I mean they must do their research if they're putting money on the line, but are they as good as the FBS lines usually are?

well....the spread was (Appalachian State -8) last week vs. WIU on bodog.com.........i made plenty of (fake) money off that one........

boonedocks
December 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Why not? 3 points are given to the home team. If it's at Nova, take away the 3 given to App, and give the 3 to Nova.

I thought this is what Sagarin does. And even he only says that a 3 points is about what home field is worth. He doesn't "give" 3 points to the home team.

Oddsmakers take home field into account obviously, but I don't think it is automatically "worth 3 points." Then again I'm probably wrong, since I'm not much of a (theoretical) gambler.

I didn't think this was a hardfast rule, but perhaps it is.

LehighFan11
December 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM

The lines for FCS games aren't good compared to FBS games. Last week App St was -8 vs. Western Ill. That was one of the worst lines I've seen in a long time. They publish some horrendous FCS lines.

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
If you want to make some serious money, you bet FCS Mistake lines - there have been 4 that I took the bank literally this year.

EdubAlum
December 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
ya, seems pretty stupid of them to put up the lines if they don't put much effort into them, but they must still make money anyway.

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I love GSU + 1.5. The only one of the four that stands out to me.

GaSouthern
December 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I love GSU + 1.5. The only one of the four that stands out to me.

No offense but Wofford has had our number and they played against two (GSU and Citadel) Option teams and they run a very similar offense. Shoop had no advantage to our offense and our defense is just that good.

GSU @ Wofford = GSU is the underdog... but the last 5 games the away team has won.

cowboy91
December 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
No way. App St. is #1 in the country. They deserve to be favored, especially at home. According to this line, if it was at Nova, the line would be Nova -3. Home field advantage definitely makes Nova the underdog.

Isn't Eastern Washington technically the #1 ranked team in the country, yet App State is the #1 seed?

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
No offense but Wofford has had our number and they played against two (GSU and Citadel) Option teams and they run a very similar offense. Shoop had no advantage to our offense and our defense is just that good.

GSU @ Wofford = GSU is the underdog... but the last 5 games the away team has won.

Just seems to me that this GSU team is playing a lot better than they were at the time of the last meeting. Certainly appears that a switch went on for the young team after the ASU game. Wofford beat them narrowly the first meeting and I think GSU turns the tables and does it convincingly.

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Isn't Eastern Washington technically the #1 ranked team in the country, yet App State is the #1 seed?

They were #1 in one poll, but I don't think anyone really considers them to be the best team in the country, clearly evidenced by the #5 seed.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM

GSU is a hot team, Wofford is a good team, but it's hard to beat the same team twice in a season.

Noticed you sig line is missing NDSU 0-1 ;)

Milktruck74
December 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
The lines for FCS games aren't good compared to FBS games. Last week App St was -8 vs. Western Ill. That was one of the worst lines I've seen in a long time. They publish some horrendous FCS lines.

The Odds Makers could care less how close their line is to the actual final score, they are just trying to get 50% of the wagers on either side of the bet. That way the people that take the points pay those that laid the points or vice versa, minus the 10% bet placement fee. Bookies get paid on the Juice (10% bet fee) not on the game outcome. So where the line starts or ends in relation to the outcome is irrelevent.

Milktruck74
December 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Additionally, its the Playoffs, so favorites are out the window..... one only needs to look back to last week for proof of that!

swaghook
December 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
GSU is a hot team, Wofford is a good team, but it's hard to beat the same team twice in a season.

unlikely to happen but an NDSU vs GSU is the NC game I want to happen this year.

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The Odds Makers could care less how close their line is to the actual final score, they are just trying to get 50% of the wagers on either side of the bet. That way the people that take the points pay those that laid the points or vice versa, minus the 10% bet placement fee. Bookies get paid on the Juice (10% bet fee) not on the game outcome. So where the line starts or ends in relation to the outcome is irrelevent.

Yes. However, who is the most well known FCS team right now? App St. My assumption is that App St is a public money team. Usually a public money team will have inflated spreads to compensate for the balance, like you said. However, it maybe a false assumption.

GaSouthern
December 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Um, um, OH! I know why!............ I ran out of room ;)