PDA

View Full Version : Brewster's Bobcats?

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Word from Brent on BobcatFans.com (http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20755&sid=4938) - who has historically been a pretty good source of information for the TXST (formerly SWT) program - is that former Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster could wrap up the job this week...

Other candidates he mentioned were Jerry Gray, Les Koennig (what job in the state does he not get mentioned for?) and of course - Dennis Franchione and Bobby Jack Wright...

Not sure the Brewster hire would resonate as much as Coker did at UTSA or Franchione would... but it may be the safest pick.

FargoBison
December 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I pity the program that hires the used car salesman that is Tim Brewster. He can recruit but when it comes to coaching he is absolutely clueless.

This is from a Gopher message board and it sums up Brewster well(this is from a year ago)..

When Tim Brewster was the TE coach w/ the Broncos during the 2006 season, he was kind of the laughing stock of the team, basically because Brewster knew nothing about coaching TE's at a high level.(" Brewster is the most condescending coach i have ever been around" said a QB on there roster not named Cutler). Brewster who has very little ability to understand the x's and o's of the game, was mostly known by the majority of team as Shanahan's rear end kisser.What is Brewster good at? He has the gift of gab, he would probably be a great door to door salesman.He would thrive in a position where he could sell a product then move on, This will be Brewster's last year Coaching the Gophers, and maybe down the road he can sell himself to a smaller college w/ his gift of gab, but they will to find out that he is not a football coach, just as all the Broncos players and coaches knew in 2006.

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I pity the program that hires the used car salesman that is Tim Brewster. He can recruit but when it comes to coaching he is absolutely clueless.

I do not know much about Brewster - though probably a bit more than the Texas Longhorn loving bunch that wants to throw him a parade just because he worked for Mack Brown - but a coach that recruit, but can not exactly use fundamental X's and O's sounds in line with what many of the Bobcats will agree has been their coaching position for years...

BTW - how many FCS losses by Brewster at Minnesota?

FargoBison
December 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I do not know much about Brewster - though probably a bit more than the Texas Longhorn loving bunch that wants to throw him a parade just because he worked for Mack Brown - but a coach that recruit, but can not exactly use fundamental X's and O's sounds in line with what many of the Bobcats will agree has been their coaching position for years...

NDSU in 2007, USD in 2010 and he just got by SDSU last year. I also think Montana State played them pretty close as well. The struggling with FCS schools is a major reason why he was fired, talent couldn't overcome the coaching gap. USD was not even a good FCS team this year.

The other thing that killed him was losing every trophy game. It seemed like whenever the Gophers had a big game, they'd crumble under Brewster.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Some Minnesota reporter asked Julius Peppers about Brewster recruiting him and Peppers rolled his eyes and said no comment. Like FargoBison said, he's a used car salesman, had a great interview at Minnesota and got the job.

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
The other thing that killed him was losing every trophy game. It seemed like whenever the Gophers had a big game, they'd crumble under Brewster.

Read that he was 0-10 in such games...

This guy is seeing like a bad pick the more and more I read from people. Of course, the same can be said for Dennis Franchione - though he will bring the initial pub and be the "response" to Larry Coker.

It's all about "responding" to Larry Coker and UTSA's scheduling for TXST. They're seen to be behind the eight-ball and will need to nail this one in the corner pocket to have some sort of leg up on UTSA.

TTUEagles
December 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
For what it's worth, Brewster's Son, is on Tennessee Tech's roster as a QB - was highly touted out of high school, and transferred from U of Minn...Was listed at 3rd string QB on depth chart - did not see any playing time this year.

doolittledog
December 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Maybe Brewster can be the face of the program. Recruit like crazy...do a great coaches show...give great speeches at alumni gatherings to help bring in money... and then bring in a great OC and DC and staff and let them do the coaching.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Maybe Brewster can be the face of the program. Recruit like crazy...do a great coaches show...give great speeches at alumni gatherings to help bring in money... and then bring in a great OC and DC and staff and let them do the coaching.

Another complaint about Brewster was the terrible way he treated his assistants and underlings. Uou are on the right track though, a position where he doesn't make any decisions, just talks.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Story from Austin...

Former Texas All-America defensive back Jerry Gray has thrown his hat into the ring for the Texas State head football coaching vacancy and, one source said, has been in contact with the school.

Gray, the secondary coach of the Seattle Seahawks, is a Texas native who would be an attractive option for the Bobcats even though he does not have head coaching experience, which is considered to be among the biggest criteria for the position as the football program expands soon to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Former Minnesota Gophers coach Tim Brewster, another former Longhorn assistant and an outstanding recruiter, is also interested in the job and is expected to interview for the Texas State job this week, perhaps as soon as Tuesday.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/12/06/texas_state_sea.html

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
FYI - I know there were some articles suggesting that Brewster would be interviewed this week, but this is further confirmation that the process will not truly begin with interviews until January...

Texas State athletic director Larry Teis said Tuesday that the school will hire a search firm next week to assist in replacing football coach Brad Wright and will not begin interviews until the first week in January.

Those known to be interested in the position include former Texas assistants Tim Brewster (fired from Minnesota) and Bobby Jack Wright (Oklahoma defensive coach) and former Texas All-American Jerry Gray (Seattle Seahawks secondary coach) as well as former Southwest Texas State and Texas A&M head coach Dennis Franchione.

“I have made some phone calls to see who is really interested,” Teis said in a statement. “Yes, we have some strong candidates who have all asked not to be identified, and I will honor their request. We will not have someone on the ground in San Marcos until the first week in January.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/12/07/texas_state_to.html

Twentysix
December 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
FYI - I know there were some articles suggesting that Brewster would be interviewed this week, but this is further confirmation that the process will not truly begin with interviews until January...

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/12/07/texas_state_to.html

If this happens txst must play Ndsu.

NDB
December 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
IF YOU HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TX STATE AD CONTACT HIM AND TELL HIM NOT TO HIRE BREWSTER!

HE HAS ZERO BUSINESS BEING A HEAD COACH AT ANY LEVEL.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
LOL, obviously you do not know much about the Tx State Ad and his hiring skills

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Read that he was 0-10 in such games...

This guy is seeing like a bad pick the more and more I read from people. Of course, the same can be said for Dennis Franchione - though he will bring the initial pub and be the "response" to Larry Coker.

It's all about "responding" to Larry Coker and UTSA's scheduling for TXST. They're seen to be behind the eight-ball and will need to nail this one in the corner pocket to have some sort of leg up on UTSA.

They just beat Iowa in a trophy game.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
They just beat Iowa in a trophy game.

Not with Brewster as coach. Horton the OC has been head coach since Brewster got fired.
Minnesota's new coach, just hired this week, is Jerry Kill.

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Not with Brewster as coach. Horton the OC has been head coach since Brewster got fired.
Minnesota's new coach, just hired this week, is Jerry Kill.

Oh yeah....sorry, guess I don't pay attention to the Big Ten.

El Gato
December 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
There is much talk that if Brewster gets the nod, then he will be bringing in Greg Davis (recently ousted Texas OC) in as his OC.

Not sure how to feel about Greg Davis as the OC. I mean yeh Texas really sucked it up this year, but historically they have had one of the top FBS offense in the country and under his tenure they won a NC and played in another. Maybe he just got to comfortable there at Texas and a move down the road will be beneficial for him and in turn us.

onbison09
December 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Wow. That sucks for Texas State if true.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
There is much talk that if Brewster gets the nod, then he will be bringing in Greg Davis (recently ousted Texas OC) in as his OC.

Not sure how to feel about Greg Davis as the OC. I mean yeh Texas really sucked it up this year, but historically they have had one of the top FBS offense in the country and under his tenure they won a NC and played in another. Maybe he just got to comfortable there at Texas and a move down the road will be beneficial for him and in turn us.

It would definitely be two well known individuals since Brewster has been around and so has Davis (who also has Div I head coaching experience).

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2010, 11:44 AM
May finally see action on a replacement this week. A meeting of the TSUS Board of Regents next week. There is a players meeting coming up on Sunday to address the coaching search...

And ESPN Insider is reporting Tim Brewster, Bobby Jack Wright, Dennis Franchione and Rocky Long as the finalists...

El Gato
January 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
This blog is reporting that Dan Hawkins, recently fired from Colorado is, "putting out feelers and is creating a hypothetical staff in order to secure the open HC job at Texas State."...
http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/2011/01/carousel-updatetexas-state-michigan.html

However legit or not the Dennis Franchione (former Texas A&M Coach) rumor mill is really heating up with the possibility of him bringing along his son, Brad Franchione who coincidentally resigned from Blinn Juco today.

Brad Franchione won two Juco National Championships including one with recent Heisman winner Cam Newton currently the QB at Auburn.

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
This blog is reporting that Dan Hawkins, recently fired from Colorado is, "putting out feelers and is creating a hypothetical staff in order to secure the open HC job at Texas State."...
http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/2011/01/carousel-updatetexas-state-michigan.html

However legit or not the Dennis Franchione (former Texas A&M Coach) rumor mill is really heating up with the possibility of him bringing along his son, Brad Franchione who coincidentally resigned from Blinn Juco today.

Brad Franchione won two Juco National Championships including one with recent Heisman winner Cam Newton currently the QB at Auburn.

Have we rec'd any more news on what really happened at Blinn? Saw some mentions of there possibly being disagreement between Fran Jr. and the admin there? Any clue?

El Gato
January 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
All I have heard is what is posted on bobcatfans.com

Earlier this year Franchione was the subject of a review after trying to raise funds for the football team by selling seats at Spencer Stadium. The seats, which came from the old Cowboys Stadium, had been donated to the team by the father of a former player.

Franchione says that investigation did play a small part in his decision, but reiterated that the biggest factor was advancing his career.

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Unless Fran Sr. is getting a job and bringing Jr. along - how is he advancing his career?

He's applied for several Div I FCS and Div II jobs to no avail. There are definitely question marks that are littering his resume.