PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Rams' 2006 Recruits

Fordham
February 18th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Just had our Gridiron Club meeting on Thursday and picked up the following list from Coach Masella. Appears to be a nice job given the late start they had in getting named in mid-December. A few of these o-linemen seem to be very nice grabs for us based on their accolades (that and a nickle gets you what?...) Also, the TE is a very athletic hoops player who was very agile on film.

Commentary in italics are from the handouts we received (no links).

Larry Dortch RB
5’9” 210
Chicago, IL - Mt. Carmel HS
Rivals 2 Star

James Crockett OL
6’2” 205
Cleveland, OH - St. Peter Chanel HS
1st Team All-State (OH); AP 2005 All-Ohio Football Team

Asil Mulbah LB
5’11” 210
Jackson, NJ - Jackson HS
1st Team All-State (NJ); 1st Team all Group IV (NJ)

Amen Igbinuson OL
6’4” 320
Rahway, NJ - Rahway, HS
Rivals 2 Star; 3rd Ranked OL in NJ

Robby Reis OL
6’2” 316
Rutland, VT - Rutland HS
Vermont Football Player of the Year (Gatorade & Red Zone)

Tom Porto OL
6’3” 305
Saratoga Springs - Saratoga Springs HS
ESPN Top 150 Lineman in the Country; 2005 Sec. III Most Outstanding Player

James Dunn OL
6’2” 270
St. Joe’s Prep
Member of Daily News' Best OL; 1st Team All-league

Frank Rizzo OL
6’3” 285
Bergen Catholic HS
2004 & 2005 All League

Darzell Wright NG
6’2” 280
Chicago. IL - Mt. Carmel HS
Chicago Tribune Top 100 Player

Mark Woznicki TE
6’5” 225
Torrington, CT - Torrington HS
1st Team All-League/NVL Defensive POTY

Isiejah Allen CB
5’11” 180
Washington D.C - Gonzaga HS
2004/05 1st Team All League; Red Zone POTY Nominee

Joe Evans S
6’1” 200
Fordham Prep
1st Team All NYCHAA; Senior Bowl Participant

Chris Small QB/Safety
6’1” 190
Danvers, MA Danvers HS/New Hampton Prep
2004 NEC POTY; 2005 2nd Team All NE Prep

Brandon Brown CB
5’9” 180
Glen Cove, NY - St. Anthony’s HS
2004/05 1st Team All CHSAA; Selected for Governors' Bowl

Asa Lucas WR
6’1” 180
Scranton , Pa - West Scranton HS
2005 1st Team All Region & Conference; Selected to Super 16 Dream Team

John Skelton QB
6’6” 220
El Paso, TX - Burges HS
2005 El Paso Times 1st Team All City; 1st Team All-District 1-4A

Mike Shorter RB/DB
5’11” 180
Meriden, CT - Rosemary-Choate Academy
2005 1st Team All NE Prep

Jason Caldwell WR
5’11” 180
Baltimore, MD - Wyoming Seminary (PA)
2005 Independent League MVP; Super 22 Candidate (U of Maryland)

Pard4Life
February 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM
An offensive lineman is Vermont's player of the year?? Not to crack on lineman or anything, but I don't get it...

February 19th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Nice slate and all those linemen etc.!

eagle1
February 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM
James Crockett OL
6’2” 205

I am hoping that this guys position or weight is a typo. I have heard of taking guys undersized as projects but this would be an amazing project to get anywhere close to 260 or above. Go Eagles!!!

Andy
February 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Insiders listed as a 6-2 210 TE. Grade 1.0

Fordham
February 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
An offensive lineman is Vermont's player of the year?? Not to crack on lineman or anything, but I don't get it...

Two way player. Many of the plays we saw on his film were of him playing DT, where he was wrecking havoc in the backfield. So, it's based on his play on both sides of the ball ... and possibly more on his defensive performance since that's easier to measure.

James Crockett OL
6’2” 205

I am hoping that this guys position or weight is a typo. I have heard of taking guys undersized as projects but this would be an amazing project to get anywhere close to 260 or above. Go Eagles!!!
Typo ... supposed to be OLB ... nice pick up.

Fordham
February 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Insiders listed as a 6-2 210 TE. Grade 1.0

Andy, I'm assuming you're referencing Crockett, based upon eagle's comments but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, any other Insider's info jump out on any of these other guys? Just curious.

Finally, based upon the classes you've seen released thus far, what player (or players) is/are the biggest steal in the PL right now?

Go...gate
February 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Looks like a very good class for the Rams!

Andy
February 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Andy, I'm assuming you're referencing Crockett, based upon eagle's comments but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, any other Insider's info jump out on any of these other guys? Just curious.

Finally, based upon the classes you've seen released thus far, what player (or players) is/are the biggest steal in the PL right now?

Fordham, yes, I meant Crockett whom I've seen referred to as a TE, a receiver, and his all-state status in one local paper was listed as at "WR".

As far as Insiders and Rivals ratings, pls. see the Lafayette board where I listed the highest rated recruits known so far.

I think your recruit Porto could be a bit of a steal whose recruiting level may have been held down due to injuries in his senior season. Igbinosun is a curious case whose value apparently decreased substantially during the season. He went from a Rivals rating of 3*s, #26 ranked player in NJ and #2 OT in NJ, to 2*s and out of the top 50. Pre-season he was mentioning interest from Virginia and BC and after the season--Wagner, CCSU and Fordham. Quite a turnaround. That being said, I'll take him. He moves well in his video.

Just my opinion, but Cherundolo, a GT recruit, might be the biggest steal in the league whom I believe turned down Div. 1 offers.

A second player with proof in the pudding--pudding being offers--is Colgate's Watts who had offers from Navy & Air Force.

I'm predicting the sleeper of the recruiting year will prove to be Ian Conyers, GT LB recruit, who may have gone relatively unnoticed due to his size--6-0, 185, although he does have an offer from E. Mich. in his pocket. Watch out! In his video he shows a great nose for the ball and terrific closing speed. Whew, a player! A real good GT class overall IMO.

Also, if I may, there seem to be some very impressive skill sets in the league this year--headed IMO by Gate's group of the Tulane transfer QB, Watts, Simonds and Spencer if they put him at FB. Also Lafayette with QBs Jones and Curley, the speedster RB Morrow, FB Ferber and WR Ingram. FU seems to have done very well, too, with the 6-6 Texan QB, RB Dortch and WRs Lucas, Caldwell.

I wouldn't want to take on the task of ranking the classes. It will be interesting to see how Rob of showingblitz.com sees it.

ngineer
February 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Just had our Gridiron Club meeting on Thursday and picked up the following list from Coach Masella. Appears to be a nice job given the late start they had in getting named in mid-December. A few of these o-linemen seem to be very nice grabs for us based on their accolades (that and a nickle gets you what?...) Also, the TE is a very athletic hoops player who was very agile on film.

Commentary in italics are from the handouts we received (no links).

Larry Dortch RB
5’9” 210
Chicago, IL - Mt. Carmel HS
Rivals 2 Star

James Crockett OL
6’2” 205

Asil Mulbah LB
5’11” 210
Jackson, NJ - Jackson HS
1st Team All-State (NJ); 1st Team all Group IV (NJ)

Amen Igbinuson OL
6’4” 320
Rahway, NJ - Rahway, HS
Rivals 2 Star; 3rd Ranked OL in NJ

Robby Reis OL
6’2” 316
Rutland, VT - Rutland HS
Vermont Football Player of the Year (Gatorade & Red Zone)

Tom Porto OL
6’3” 305
Saratoga Springs - Saratoga Springs HS
ESPN Top 150 Lineman in the Country; 2005 Sec. III Most Outstanding Player

James Dunn OL
6’2” 270
St. Joe’s Prep
Member of Daily News' Best OL; 1st Team All-league

Frank Rizzo OL
6’3” 285
Bergen Catholic HS
2004 & 2005 All League

Darzell Wright NG
6’2” 280
Chicago. IL - Mt. Carmel HS
Chicago Tribune Top 100 Player

Mark Woznicki TE
6’5” 225
Torrington, CT - Torrington HS
1st Team All-League/NVL Defensive POTY

Isiejah Allen CB
5’11” 180
Washington D.C - Gonzaga HS
2004/05 1st Team All League; Red Zone POTY Nominee

Joe Evans S
6’1” 200
Fordham Prep
1st Team All NYCHAA; Senior Bowl Participant

Chris Small QB/Safety
6’1” 190
Danvers, MA Danvers HS/New Hampton Prep
2004 NEC POTY; 2005 2nd Team All NE Prep

Brandon Brown CB
5’9” 180
Glen Cove, NY - St. Anthony’s HS
2004/05 1st Team All CHSAA; Selected for Governors' Bowl

Asa Lucas WR
6’1” 180
Scranton , Pa - West Scranton HS
2005 1st Team All Region & Conference; Selected to Super 16 Dream Team

John Skelton QB
6’6” 220
El Paso, TX - Burges HS
2005 El Paso Times 1st Team All City; 1st Team All-District 1-4A

Mike Shorter RB/DB
5’11” 180
Meriden, CT - Rosemary-Choate Academy
2005 1st Team All NE Prep

Jason Caldwell WR
5’11” 180
Baltimore, MD - Wyoming Seminary (PA)
2005 Independent League MVP; Super 22 Candidate (U of Maryland)

WHAT?! Is this a reincarnation or resurrection or what? Does he play with his nightstick tucked in the waistband of his pants?? (Most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. This is ancient history--Former and Late Mayor of Philadelphia who left a formal blacktie party with a cops nightstick in his cumberbun when a riot broke out in the city. What a character...;)

colgate13
February 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Actually, the younger fans here probably get "Frank Rizzo" more from The Jerky Boys! Classic name!

Andy - have any info on our latest signee I found, Uzomah Idah from CA? I think he might be a good DB catch for us.

Fordham
February 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Nice article about OL Tom Porto. Looks like one of those kids who would have gone higher but for an injury plagued senior year. Let's hope he keeps that bug away while at Rose Hill.

Saratoga's Porto Signs with Fordham (http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16050599&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=8)

Pard94
February 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM

Certainly not a crack on Lineman as I was one myself...that being said...have you ever been to VT? Football is not exactly the top priority up here in the great white north. I met a few all state NH football players...not sure they would have started on my HS team in PA.

Fordham
February 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think there's anyone that would call VT a football hotbed but what more could you ask of from the kid? He played where he lived and was at least named the best of those that put on pads. It may mean that he'll need some more time to adjust to the level of play that he'll see in I-AA football but that's ok. I'll give any 300lb'er who seems to have good feet and performed as well as he did on the level he was able to play a shot any time.

I'm hoping that the fact that states like VT get overlooked might mean that we picked up somewhat of a steal here (and will go on record as stating that I hope all of our recruits will someday be considered steals as well). He actually has very strong family links to Fordham (father & uncles played here as well as some other ties I believe), which is really what got us to land him.

Strong academics, played as well as anyone in that state has played this past year and has strong family school ties ... I'LL TAKE IT!

PS - while playing at Fordham, many of us felt the same way about CT high school players. It seemed that everyone was all-state which equated to all conference if you were from PA or NJ or OH, etc.

ngineer
February 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM
I don't think there's anyone that would call VT a football hotbed but what more could you ask of from the kid? He played where he lived and was at least named the best of those that put on pads. It may mean that he'll need some more time to adjust to the level of play that he'll see in I-AA football but that's ok. I'll give any 300lb'er who seems to have good feet and performed as well as he did on the level he was able to play a shot any time.

I'm hoping that the fact that states like VT get overlooked might mean that we picked up somewhat of a steal here (and will go on record as stating that I hope all of our recruits will someday be considered steals as well). He actually has very strong family links to Fordham (father & uncles played here as well as some other ties I believe), which is really what got us to land him.

Strong academics, played as well as anyone in that state has played this past year and has strong family school ties ... I'LL TAKE IT!

PS - while playing at Fordham, many of us felt the same way about CT high school players. It seemed that everyone was all-state which equated to all conference if you were from PA or NJ or OH, etc.

No question that depending on region you come from whether your 'pedigee' is as stellar as one thinks. Similarly in wrestling, we have kids here in the Lehigh Valley who won't even be District Champions that would likely be State Champions elsewhere.

Fordham
February 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM
More good news from the meet n' greet was that 4 of our seniors are coming back for a last hurrah. The include starting TB James Prydatko, co-captain LB Marcus Taylor & starting DL Jay Edwards. Nice gift to Coach Masella to get these back for one more year.

colgate13
February 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
More good news from the meet n' greet was that 4 of our seniors are coming back for a last hurrah. The include starting TB James Prydatko, co-captain LB Marcus Taylor & starting DL Jay Edwards. Nice gift to Coach Masella to get these back for one more year. Taylor's the biggest catch there. He was the only real standout I saw on your defense. Prydatko is a nice workhorse too, but without another threat on 'O', opponents can focus on trying to shut him down. Either way, getting IMO your two best players back for a year is a nice bonus.