PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ Appalachian State

Pages : [1] 2 3

T-Dog
December 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Four of the last five National Champs will meet in the quarterfinals.

Last year, App beat defending champs Richmond in the quarterfinals. Now they have a chance to dethrone the reigning champs again.

Also, it's Socon vs CAA in a battle of which conference can get two semifinalist.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
When is the time and/or day announced?

HappyAppy13
December 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Going to be a great battle!!!
Shootout in order??

should be better weather though...possibility of a system moving in...

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hope a blizzard comes through with 50 mph winds! This should be an epic game.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Good luck to both teams. Lets hope for an injury free game. Going to be fun to watch.

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Someone said earlier that there will be a Friday Night game, This will probally be the one

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
There will be instant replay for this game right?

UNH Fanboi
December 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
i think this game could end up being an epic battle like last year's ASU-Richmond and ASU-Montana games. I really hope this game (and all the other quarterfinal games) end up on ESPN because there are no FBS games that weekend. **** meaningless early season basetball games. Last years's ASU-Montana game proved that people will watch FCS games if there is no FBS competition.

Old Cat Fan
December 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
i think this game could end up being an epic battle like last year's ASU-Richmond and ASU-Montana games. I really hope this game (and all the other quarterfinal games) end up on ESPN because there are no FBS games that weekend. **** meaningless early season basetball games. Last years's ASU-Montana game proved that people will watch FCS games if there is no FBS competition.

Friday night and one of the Sat games are scheduled for ESPN2HD

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
All right, App. Make us 2-0 against the CAA. :D

UNHFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I agree ESPN is nuts not to take this game!!! Ill bow down... I dont think Delaware agrees and they shouldn't! But I get it UNH is still the gift here and I think we accept that roll!

wmmii
December 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
this will be an epic battle-Good Luck 'Nova, hope your make the CAA proud.

MtnJumper
December 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Should be a great game. We'll be watching for fake punts. :D

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm so glad we finally found ourselves a decent field goal kicker. The new kicker has yet to miss. Our previous one was horrible. I think our defense should be able to find some success in this game. We tend to be very good at stopping the run. Both QB's are very dangerous in the running game. Should be exciting to watch.

Saint3333
December 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
After watching the SFA/Nova game, ASU will have trouble with Nova's offense. ASU's defense is only successful when they win in the trenches and Nova may have the best o-line in the playoffs, not to mention the biggest playmaking in the FCS.

ASU will likely need to score 35 to win, looking forward to it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
This game is going to be awesome!!

Go App State!! Kill the Kittens!!!

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
After watching the SFA/Nova game, ASU will have trouble with Nova's offense. ASU's defense is only successful when they win in the trenches and Nova may have the best o-line in the playoffs, not to mention the biggest playmaking in the FCS.

ASU will likely need to score 35 to win, looking forward to it.

I don't think it'll be that high scoring. I'm thinking both teams will be in the 20's.

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Can't wait! Hopefully this will be a night game, definitely the best game of the week. This will be really tough for us, I think we have a speed advantage but these guys won't be half as slow as WIU. We need to have a better balance than we did today as well, which we should as long as we don't have another 5 inches of snow. Hopefully it will be good weather so we can make FCS look good and get 30,000+ in KBS. I'm literally counting down the seconds,mit's gonna be suck a long week! Ready to see Szczur (spelling?) in person, he had a jaw-dropping performance last week.

Go Black&Gold Santa!!!!!!

LehighFan11
December 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Very excited for this game. It will be a showcase game for FCS.

How many SRs does each team have in their starting 11 on O & D? Nova is more senior led, correct?

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM
We are too, especially on O, but our 2 best offensive players are both jrs in Quick and DP. I'm pretty sure most of the o-line is srs as well, too lazy to check lol. Our 3 best defensive players are srs as well: Fletcher, Smith, and Legree.

cowboy91
December 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The best thing about this game is that one team is going to lose and go home. The worse thing about this game is that one team is going to win and play in the semifinals.

-Biased Delaware fan with no love lost for either, so please consider my opinion as meaningless.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2010, 09:36 PM
The best thing about this game is that one team is going to lose and go home. The worse thing about this game is that one team is going to win and play in the semifinals.

-Biased Delaware fan with no love lost for either, so please consider my opinion as meaningless.

Ohh c'mon!! It's Villa-freakin-nova!! At this stage of the playoffs conference loyalties should be out the window! If 'Nova does actually head to the BE the CAA folks should want them out the door asap. If they stay then you don't want them going any further in the playoffs for recruiting purposes, bragging rights etc.

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Ohh c'mon!! It's Villa-freakin-nova!! At this stage of the playoffs conference loyalties should be out the window! If 'Nova does actually head to the BE the CAA folks should want them out the door asap. If they stay then you don't want them going any further in the playoffs for recruiting purposes, bragging rights etc.

Easy for a non-CAA/Temple/Lehigh fan to say this :-P If you didn't notice, the CAA and SoCon are in a bit of a battle here for best conference bragging rights. Most CAA fans are rooting for Nova to take down App St I imagine. I will definitely be pulling for the UD/UNH winner against the Wof/GaSouth winner.

jmufan999
December 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
i'll take app state by 3-10.

jmufan999
December 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Easy for a non-CAA/Temple/Lehigh fan to say this :-P If you didn't notice, the CAA and SoCon are in a bit of a battle here for best conference bragging rights. Most CAA fans are rooting for Nova to take down App St I imagine. I will definitely be pulling for the UD/UNH winner against the Wof/GaSouth winner.

um, i don't know that the winner of ONE playoff game determines who the best conference is... a little overly simplistic, don't you think? the SoCon is the best conference THIS year... it varies.

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Appalachian - 28
Villanova - 17

VUCats02
December 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
um, i don't know that the winner of ONE playoff game determines who the best conference is... a little overly simplistic, don't you think? the SoCon is the best conference THIS year... it varies.

Can you please inform me where I said that the winner of one playoff game determines who the best conference is? I didn't. Also, the fact that the SoCon is the best conference THIS year is debatable...

ThompsonThe
December 5th, 2010, 12:10 AM
The Southern Conference is always the better conference. That is not debatable, just facts.

AAadict
December 5th, 2010, 05:23 AM
The Southern Conference is always the better conference. That is not debatable, just facts.

Then you should certainly win at home being the best SOCON team vs. a much lower seeded VU. Can't wait. VU is as good as anyone in the CAA now with Mr. Szczur back.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Nova seems to have gotten their stuff together since losing to UNH. Their o-line is about as good as it gets, and that offense can eat clock. With Szczur back, and making plays, they're as potent as last year. We'll see how their D fares. They're not as good on that side of the ball this year.

Saint3333
December 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Nova seems to have gotten their stuff together since losing to UNH. Their o-line is about as good as it gets, and that offense can eat clock. With Szczur back, and making plays, they're as potent as last year. We'll see how their D fares. They're not as good on that side of the ball this year.

This is how you beat ASU, keep our offense off the field. I can see a battle like the 2006 JMU game in this one.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Didn't see the Nova game yesterday but looked at the stats. Amazing comeback by Nova but how much of an implosion by SFA was part of it?

wmmii
December 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM

With Szczur back 'Nova is a different team. You all will have abattle and here is one CAA fan supporting another!

The nest mathc up will be in the semi, we know it will be SOCON vs CAA in one game, GO CAA

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Didn't see the Nova game yesterday but looked at the stats. Amazing comeback by Nova but how much of an implosion by SFA was part of it?

Would be lying if I said SFA miscues had no effect on the outcome. The muffed punt in the first half was HUGE, set the tempo for the rest of the game IMO.

Having said that, I think once 'Nova D settled in, they became a major factor. It was a hard hitting game, may have taken it's toll on SFA in second half as they weren't near as crisp as they were in the first qtr.

Glad to know Szczur is back at or near 100%. Looked great yesterday.

Wildcat80
December 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Amen to that!

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM
At this point the only teams I'd be happy to see win the title other than my own: Eastern Washington, Wofford, North Dakota State, New Hampshire.

I freely admit I'm not a fan of App State, GSU, and Villanova - and would suspect and expect them to root against Delaware.

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
At this point the only teams I'd be happy to see win the title other than my own: Eastern Washington, Wofford, North Dakota State, New Hampshire.

I freely admit I'm not a fan of App State, GSU, and Villanova - and would suspect and expect them to root against Delaware. Not me....I'll be pullin for UD all the way to the NC game. Would LOVE to see a rematch with them in Frisco! :)

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Appreciate the support but you know how hard it is to root for Villanova? Unless they're playing Appalachian State.

In a dream scenario for this Delaware fan: Delaware beats New Hampshire, then Wofford, then Villanova.

All I know, is that no matter what happens someone is going to have to fly across the country for a semifinal game on that side of the bracket.

What I think would be really interesting, is if ND State and Villanova play each other.

Wildcat80
December 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM

I freely admit I'm not a fan of App State, GSU, and Villanova - and would suspect and expect them to root against Delaware.

I like how you think.....dittos!

HailSzczur
December 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Szczur runs right over the mountian men, through E Washington game and right back to texas
HAIL SZCZUR and go cats, friday/saturday will be a game for the ages and possibly the crowning moment of Nova Football. Beating Montana last year was nice, but now we get to beat the big boys

SpeedkingATL
December 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Would be lying if I said SFA miscues had no effect on the outcome. The muffed punt in the first half was HUGE, set the tempo for the rest of the game IMO.

Having said that, I think once 'Nova D settled in, they became a major factor. It was a hard hitting game, may have taken it's toll on SFA in second half as they weren't near as crisp as they were in the first qtr.

I watched most of Nova/SFA game yesterday and Nova looked pretty darn good. Szczur makes them a very different team and it will be very interesting to watch the offensive and defensive lines of the Apps and Nova go against each other. Both are very athletic and physical. My dream senario is App beating Nova, EWU, and then playing either Deleware or GaSo in Frisco. Of course I'll settle for any 2 wins to get us to Frisco!

runHENrun
December 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM

The implosion was delivered by Nova's D

biggie
December 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Just to put in this thread, Game at Noon Saturday on ESPNHD. Probably hurts attendance a little compared to a Friday night game (at least from the student standpoint).

NovaHater
December 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM

C'mon VUCats, you know most UD fans don't want a Nova win, maybe the rest of the CAA fans, but not those guys.

All 6 of our fans plus 2 more I know of will be at the game. Finally get to see a game there, can't wait. Sat game will make the trip alot easier

AppMAN04
December 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Szczur runs right over the mountian men, through E Washington game and right back to texas
HAIL SZCZUR and go cats, friday/saturday will be a game for the ages and possibly the crowning moment of Nova Football. Beating Montana last year was nice, but now we get to beat the big boys

Goodluck! should be one heck of a game... Im hoping ASU pulls this one out and pull it out big... NO MERCY!

ASU_Fanatic
December 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
30-24 ASU on a late TD. This deserved a night game, I'm really pretty mad we didn't get one. Easily the best game of the week, noon is an awful start for this.

CrackerRiley
December 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Noon games suuuuck. How come we get the worst start time of every quarterfinal game?
What can ya do...

ASU_Fanatic
December 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
They never seem to want to give us a Friday game, the only one was the semi against Richmond. If they wanted to make FCS look better they would of given us a night game because we would have 30,000+ at one.

AppChicago
December 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'll go ahead and be selfish and say that I'm stoked this is a Saturday game and not a Friday game, because that means I can actually be there. Friday night games are tough for people with jobs who don't live in or around Boone.

HappyAppy13
December 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205042884&DB_OEM_ID=21500

"colossal showdown"

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I am STOKED for this game! Unfortunately I'll be watching from the couch... Knee surgury on Wed. :(

cowboy91
December 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Not on-topic entirely, but what kind of knee surgery?

GaSouthern
December 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
GO APP! Rep to SoCon so the Woffy/GSU winner can meet you in Fresco

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Not on-topic entirely, but what kind of knee surgery?

arthroscopic meniscus repair. Nothing serious, but doubt I'll feel much like alot of walking or stair climbing in the cold on Sat. ;)

heath
December 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM
might of been posted earlier,but I think the winner of this game wins at Pizza Hut Park

heath
December 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
arthroscopic meniscus repair. Nothing serious, but doubt I'll feel much like alot of walking or stair climbing in the cold on Sat. ;)

Unless you just had a vasectomy,bourbon up, put the brace on,get a few buds to help you to the seat and enjoy!xnodx

AppChicago
December 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Unless you just had a vasectomy,bourbon up, put the brace on,get a few buds to help you to the seat and enjoy!xnodx

Actually, I'd imagine that if you'd just gotten a snip in your main vein, a frosty bleacher seat would be just what the doctor ordered.

AppMAN04
December 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Actually, I'd imagine that if you'd just gotten a snip in your main vein, a frosty bleacher seat would be just what the doctor ordered.

Very true, Ive had it done... Nothing like some Ice!! LOL and It isnt that bad, That couldnt even keep me from being @ KBS this Saturday

AppMAN04
December 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
might of been posted earlier,but I think the winner of this game wins at Pizza Hut Park

I hope this is true!! Of course I am wanting ASU to be that team.. def a NC caliber match

Anovafan
December 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm looking forward to my trip to Boone. I will finally get to see the rock. This should be a great game and is a much better match-up for Nova than SFA. I think Nova will be able to score in the 30s and do a decent job of shutting down ASU's base offense, minus Pressley. I think he is the X factor in the game. If he plays well, ASU probably wins. If Nova can contain him, I think Nova has enough on both sides of the ball now, especially with Sczcur back, to pull out a W.

AppMAN04
December 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm looking forward to my trip to Boone. I will finally get to see the rock. This should be a great game and is a much better match-up for Nova than SFA. I think Nova will be able to score in the 30s and do a decent job of shutting down ASU's base offense, minus Pressley. I think he is the X factor in the game. If he plays well, ASU probably wins. If Nova can contain him, I think Nova has enough on both sides of the ball now, especially with Sczcur back, to pull out a W.

Look forward to seeing all of the Nova fans make the trip to BOONE city... It will be a game for the ages.. presley is hard to contain and once you do, someone else will break open for a good game.. I am excited to see you guys play in person also.. Saturday is going to be a real game day for both teams... GO ASU!!

VUCats02
December 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
The only thing that sucks about this game is that someone has to go home :-/ Oh and I won't be able to watch the game live due to other conflicts :-/ Gonna watch it on replay on espn3 Saturday night. It's gonna be very hard. Gonna have to shut myself off to the outside world until I watch this game.

HailSzczur
December 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
theres something to be said for an afternoon game though from a fans perspective. they gave us like a 4pm in the snow against UNH last year that was wet and in about the low 20s with alot of wind. and then the next weekend they gave us the 8pm friday night that got down to about 10 plus windchill. Atleast you guys will have a chance at sun.....wish i could make it down to boone :(

bamanova10
December 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'll be making my way to Boone for the weekend, along with a couple of other recent grads who are coming down from NYC. Any good recommendations for some places to eat/drink while there? Thanks

ncguitarplyr
December 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I would go to the Daniel Boone Inn...people literally drive several hrs to get to Boone just to eat there, it's also basically on campus...bring a jacket

http://www.danlbooneinn.com/

Saint3333
December 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'll be making my way to Boone for the weekend, along with a couple of other recent grads who are coming down from NYC. Any good recommendations for some places to eat/drink while there? Thanks

Peddler in Boone for dinner Friday, Daniel Boone Inn for breakfast, Woodlands BBQ sandwich inside the stadium (under the West Side), Twigs in Blowing Rock for dinner Saturday night - that wiill be a good weekend.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I would go to the Daniel Boone Inn...people literally drive several hrs to get to Boone just to eat there, it's also basically on campus...bring a jacket

There are a thousand better places to eat than the Dan'l Boone Inn.

AppStFan76
December 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Why would you do that to the Nova fans....Dan'l Boone Inn SUCKS!!! I grew up in Boone and I have always hated that place and never understood why anyone liked it.

AppStFan76
December 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM

I didnt see your post before i posted my comment

VUCats02
December 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM
All in favor of ESPN bringing college gameday to App St this weekend say "I" :-P

That'd be pretty awesome but will never ever ever happen.

HighRyder08
December 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Everyone should head to Hob Knob Cafe or Cafe Portofino to eat. Two best places in Boone

ChattTown Mountaineer
December 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Agreed - you can break into the dorms and find a better meal. I never go to Boone without eating at Macado's on King Street. Never ever. I don't know if the place on the corner of Deerfield and 321 is still open, but it was good too. It's probably been three different restaurants since then. Pepper's has a few great sandwiches. I always get the Jean Lawson, which is a bootleg of Boone Drugs' JC Hottentot. Yum. How did I get on sandwiches?

What I really want to know is how to pronounce "Matt Szczur." I got the first part cuz I'm smart, but the back half sounds like a video game sound effect when I attempt it. Zir? Zoor? Zucker? Snikt!?

charliej
December 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
pronounced like ceasar...(see-zur)

bamanova10
December 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
thanks for the input guys, looking forward to Boone. and like charliej said, see-zur. like the salad.

for the rest of the nova fans that are going - are you guys getting tickets in sec's 108/109? looks like the ASU ticket website gives us the option to purchase visitors section tickets specifically.

AppChicago
December 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
thanks for the input guys, looking forward to Boone. and like charliej said, see-zur. like the salad.

for the rest of the nova fans that are going - are you guys getting tickets in sec's 108/109? looks like the ASU ticket website gives us the option to purchase visitors section tickets specifically.

You'd probably be most comfortable there. I'll be in section 110 right on the aisle, right next to you guys, so I pray for grace in victory or defeat.

(I've still got rotten memories from being right next to the visitor section when GSU snapped App's home win streak, and let's just say I seriously regretted my seating choice that day.)

SpeedkingATL
December 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I would also suggest Mountain House for any Nova fans that get up early enough for breakfast. I traditionally have breakfast there every Sunday before returning to the ATL. Look forward to seeing Szczur in person an expect Apps ability to contain him will mean a great deal to the outcome.

MountaineerMania54
December 5th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Cafe Portofino is top notch and right across from the stadium. You can literally close your eyes and point to something on the menu and it will be delicious. Makatos japanese is also very good (right across from the liquor store FYI). Boone Saloon is pretty cool place for some beers after the game. Our Daily Bread is pretty good sandwich style food (all-natural, organic type place). Just message me for any other advice.

Oldhen
December 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM
If you can stay at the Broyhill Inn, do so. Try Canyons in Blowing Rock.

Wildcat80
December 6th, 2010, 05:29 AM
one thing for sure visitors will be overwhelmed with kidd brewer stadium! nova might be talking big east but App State has a FBS stadium today. does any other FCS team have a similar facility?? Only Montana comes to mind.

GaSouthern
December 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Great job in the playoffs thus far App! Represent the SoCon and beat the Villans!

appst97
December 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Portofino!, w/o question. However, IF , VU pulls the ultimate upset, you may want wait till you get back home. ;)

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'd recommend Black Cat Cafe as well (great burritos/nachos/etc and good beer selection).

Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock also recommended.

Anyone heard on if/when the new location of Mellow Mushroom will open?

AppStsGr8
December 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Travel safely and watch the weather forecast. Boone can get a little chilly sometimes.

If both Sczcur and Presley have the kinds of games they're capable of having, this one could be a shootout.

blazrdog#1
December 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM
nm

AppAlum2003
December 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'd recommend Black Cat Cafe as well (great burritos/nachos/etc and good beer selection).

Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock also recommended.

I recommend Villanova eat at Black Cat about an hour before kickoff. :)

Touchdown Yosef
December 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
one thing for sure visitors will be overwhelmed with kidd brewer stadium! nova might be talking big east but App State has a FBS stadium today. does any other FCS team have a similar facility?? Only Montana comes to mind.

Jax State has a new stadium similiar to ours.

I'd reccomend Portafino, Capones, Boone Bagelry, Melanies, Woodlands, Klondike, and Blowing Rock Grill for those from out of town. Try some local beers while your here as well. I think Klondike has some Natty Greene's on tap you can also keep an eye out for Highlands, Pisgah, and Foothills. Good luck and we will see you Saturday.

ASUG8
December 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I eat at Makoto's every time I'm in Boone - normally Sunday around 11:30 to beat the church crowd.

VBR_Productions
December 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Once Presley got started in the second quarter you could see that Western Illinois had no shot. SFA walked up and down the field on Villanova until the muffed punt, after which the Wildcats beat up and down on them. This might be the best matchup of the entire playoffs unless either of these teams face Delaware/New Hampshire.

Black Saturday
December 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Somebody forgot to tell SFA they aren't playing PeeWee ball and 6:00 quarters. They gave completely out of gas and couldn't hold onto the ball just like at Montana. I'd rather play Villanova, hate to play SFA and them not turn the ball over, because you'd have to score 60 to win.

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Nova 31, ASU 27. Why not?

THE HERD
December 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I will be pulling for Nova this weekend, just because if we can get the W at E. Washington and Nova wins, we would probably get the game in the FargoDome. Would love to get a shot at either App or Nova just to see how we stack up. If we could get Nova at the dome there definitely would be 19K there and it would be loud, but we have to get by the Eagles first. Good luck to both teams and I will be watching. Damn I love this playoff sh**!!!

VUCats02
December 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hopefully this game will have a similar result to the last time Nova played in snow, which also happened to be a quarterfinal game!

theasushow
December 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hopefully this game will have a similar result to the last time Nova played in snow, which also happened to be a quarterfinal game!

oooooooooooooooooor it could have a similiar result the last time ASU played in the snow, which was Saturday!

Block-A
December 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM

There's a Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock now.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
My favorite pregame meal is Woodlands ribs+french fries+sweet tea. Yuuuuummmmmmm.

AppStFan76
December 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
What conference will the officals be from for this game??

james_lawfirm
December 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Son ... you're asking the wrong question. The correct question is:

What sport do these officials normally officiate for this next game?

or

Have they ever seen a football game before?

But, I jest. Actually, those last fellers weren't too bad. And, actually I have no idea about the answer to your actual question.

GunsAndGuitars
December 6th, 2010, 08:12 PM
There's a Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock now.

It has been there for a couple of years at least. It's well worth the drive to go, but I really hate the one in Boone closed down (or that's what I'm told). Flipside/Klondike/Parthenon is usually pretty packed on game days. It's not hard to find those three.

Does anybody know any estimates for crowd size yet?

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It has been there for a couple of years at least. It's well worth the drive to go, but I really hate the one in Boone closed down (or that's what I'm told). Flipside/Klondike/Parthenon is usually pretty packed on game days. It's not hard to find those three.

Does anybody know any estimates for crowd size yet?
The same owner of the BR MM is opening new MM in Boone, corner of King and Waters. Construction started in Oct, just don't know when it will be open.

biggie
December 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Just hope it isn't meac based on the '07 NC game.

Native 'neer
December 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you're in the Blowing Rock area, try the Foggy Rock Eatery and Pub. The same chef who started Cafe' Portofino started it as his new venture. I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet, but I'm betting it is mighty tasty! It's on 321 up the road a piece from Woodlands. www.foggy-rock.com

appstate38
December 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
After watching the Nova/SFA game, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be with Nova's OL. Yes they are big and when they get on you its hard to get off of them. SFA had success early and they created some problems because they were quicker than Nova. I don't think App's D Line will wear down like that. But its like anything else, this one will be decided up front.

appsfan
December 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I've eaten there (Foggy Rock) a couple times and loved their steak and cheese interpretation. I've had some killer appetizers there too. A personal favorite (that hasn't yet been suggested) is Pepper's in Boone and their Jean Lawson sandwich.

jlcharles
December 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I wish I could be there. I've been to Boone before. Great town.

Couple of thoughts on the game.

Hamilton, our newest kicker, was 1-3 this season on FGs. Perfect last week. I don't know what happened to Yako. He was a stud last year.

Szczur is a game changer. Watching the UNH game from the stands, I got the impression that the team was defeated. Couldn't watch the UD game, but the SFA game showed a completely different team than the one that was on the field most of the year. I think that in addition to his athletic abilities, his presence is giving them an emotional lift. I think he had a lot to do with beating the chickens...again, even if he didn't play much.

Mark Reardon (D coordinator) made some great adjustments against SFA to get the LBs into the passing lanes and he looked to have really confused Moses.

Watching on tv, my opinion has somewhat changed on our o-line. The left side of the line is ridiculously good, led by future pro Ben Ijalana. He took the criticisms of his run blocking to heart and has made a point to show that he can demolish anyone he has to block. He's consistently driving his guy 10 to 15 yards down field. The right side of the line looked bad against SFA. I hope they got it out of their system, but I have a feeling that App St. is going to be able to exploit that weakness.

Chris Whitney is just as big as ASU's linebackers and hits as hard or harder than any LB I've seen. He's going to run...a lot. And he won't go down easily. He won't slide, he'll put his shoulder down and take a LB on head on. And he almost always wins.

The strength of our team is running, but Whitney can air it out and he's got a big target in Norman White who really stepped up against SFA. Szczur has 4.4 speed and hands of glue. And it looks like he's back to close to 100%.

Defensively, we're great against the run. Our dbs almost always play 10+ yards off the line. Frustrating at times, but they mostly keep the ball in front of them. So we can give up lots of yards via short passes.

So, after all of that, I love this matchup for us better than the SFA matchup because we're much better against the run than the pass. I think it's going to be a close game, but I hope it doesn't come down to a FG for us because I don't trust our kickers one bit. The way we're playing right now and the way App St has played, I'm in the group that thinks the winner of this is going to be hoisting a trophy come Jan 7.

james_lawfirm
December 7th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Charles:

Good post. Good luck Saturday.

AppStFan76
December 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Charles,

Nice post and I would agree with most of what you said, given the limited knowledge i have of Nova, I watch the SFA game a couple of times on my DVR and if thats their best game to date then App should be OK IMO>

Yes App runs more han pass, but if DP wants to air it out he can and he can do it acurately. He has a better pass percentage than Moses, and Barr.

I'm still worried about this game and I have a feeling a picture of #4 is up in all the defensive players lockers @ ASU! That worked against Breitenstine for Wofford and he lead the country in total TD's and rushing yards (I think).... and that shut Wofford down

cougarpines
December 7th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Just hope it isn't meac based on the '07 NC game.

We had the MEAC refs on Sat.t rust me , they didn't get any better but at least you will have replay. Hope they don't call you Del St.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM
jlcharles, just curious. How was Hamilton 1 for 3 before the SFA game. He has yet to "really" miss a field goal. If I remember correctly, he got one blocked against UNH, but other than that he's been perfect on the year. For some reason, when we played Delaware, Yako kicked the field goal at the end of the first half that went off the upright from about 30 yards away - it wasn't Hamilton. I'm actually very confident (for once) in our field goal game. Hamilton's got tons of confidence going which is huge for a kicker.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Portofino and Boone Drug Grill are my favorites. Nice restaurants would be Peddler, but you can go up to Blowing Rock or Banner Elk and get some good grub too.

boonedocks
December 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Chris Whitney is just as big as ASU's linebackers and hits as hard or harder than any LB I've seen. He's going to run...a lot. And he won't go down easily. He won't slide, he'll put his shoulder down and take a LB on head on. And he almost always wins.

He may be a big boy, but I'll take DJ Smith all day every day.

Wildcat80
December 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Yes he is a big guy which is why smart tacklers need to simply take his legs out. Do not hit him high....or he will fall forward. Gotta tackle him like a tight end. No legs....no yards.

appvette
December 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should see some Fletcher vs. Ijalana (best FCS Olineman). Can't wait to see how Fletcher stacks up.

appstate38
December 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
He may be a big boy, but I'll take DJ Smith all day every day.
Amen to that!

jlcharles
December 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
jlcharles, just curious. How was Hamilton 1 for 3 before the SFA game. He has yet to "really" miss a field goal. If I remember correctly, he got one blocked against UNH, but other than that he's been perfect on the year. For some reason, when we played Delaware, Yako kicked the field goal at the end of the first half that went off the upright from about 30 yards away - it wasn't Hamilton. I'm actually very confident (for once) in our field goal game. Hamilton's got tons of confidence going which is huge for a kicker.

villanova.com lists him at 5-7 on FGs. Yes, he did have a kick blocked, but as i recall from the game, the ball came out extremely low.

I agree on the confidence issue and I think that's been the major issue with Yako this year.

Waco Kid
December 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
This game is tough to call since Nova is much better with Szczur playing than what they have shown all season. I also think CAA defenses were a bit overhyped all season long. Just look at what GSU did to W&M last week. ASU started off pretty slow this year especially on defense, but things have really started coming around lately.

I really don't think we can put much into last weeks results for either team. ASU played in very bad conditions while SFA had a ton of TO's, and I don't think the competition was as good as either team expected. Not trying to put SFA and W Ill down, but I don't think the Southland and MVC are on the same level as the CAA and SoCon.

I'm looking forward to a pretty close game for 3qt then ASU will pull away late unless we turn the all over. Nova will be better on offense, but I think ASU's defense is better than what most give them credit for.

It should be a great game for ESPN. Hopefully the Rock will have more than 13,000 in it.

elon77
December 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I wish I could be there. I've been to Boone before. Great town.

Couple of thoughts on the game.

Hamilton, our newest kicker, was 1-3 this season on FGs. Perfect last week. I don't know what happened to Yako. He was a stud last year.

Szczur is a game changer. Watching the UNH game from the stands, I got the impression that the team was defeated. Couldn't watch the UD game, but the SFA game showed a completely different team than the one that was on the field most of the year. I think that in addition to his athletic abilities, his presence is giving them an emotional lift. I think he had a lot to do with beating the chickens...again, even if he didn't play much.

Mark Reardon (D coordinator) made some great adjustments against SFA to get the LBs into the passing lanes and he looked to have really confused Moses.

Watching on tv, my opinion has somewhat changed on our o-line. The left side of the line is ridiculously good, led by future pro Ben Ijalana. He took the criticisms of his run blocking to heart and has made a point to show that he can demolish anyone he has to block. He's consistently driving his guy 10 to 15 yards down field. The right side of the line looked bad against SFA. I hope they got it out of their system, but I have a feeling that App St. is going to be able to exploit that weakness.

The strength of our team is running, but Whitney can air it out and he's got a big target in Norman White who really stepped up against SFA. Szczur has 4.4 speed and hands of glue. And it looks like he's back to close to 100%.

Defensively, we're great against the run. Our dbs almost always play 10+ yards off the line. Frustrating at times, but they mostly keep the ball in front of them. So we can give up lots of yards via short passes.

So, after all of that, I love this matchup for us better than the SFA matchup because we're much better against the run than the pass. I think it's going to be a close game, but I hope it doesn't come down to a FG for us because I don't trust our kickers one bit. The way we're playing right now and the way App St has played, I'm in the group that thinks the winner of this is going to be hoisting a trophy come Jan 7.

It will be hard to run against ASU, if you want to see how to move the ball against them go find a copy of the Elon-ASU game. The best way is to pass the ball all over the field, and of course stop their offense, which Elon could not do. Good luck though, when Elon played them it was a good day for football, you will be probably be playing in less the ideal conditions with swirling wind, cold, and maybe snow-sleet, which screws up the passing game.

Nova09
December 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Been following these boards since 2005 (freshman year) but never felt it appropriate to post given my direct involvement in intercollegiate athletics. I am most likely going to the game by myself, so I am looking for a tailgate to attach myself to! There is actually a slight possibility I will get a sideline pass which would be awesome but I wouldn't be able to tailgate, but that is unlikely given stricter credentials for NCAA events. Feel free to message me and I'll keep reading this thread. Also, does anyone know where WideRight has been?

HappyAppy13
December 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
It should be a great game for ESPN. Hopefully the Rock will have more than 13,000 in it.

Defintitely going to be a great game! Campus is already buzzing and the snow has tappered off...for now. HA! I can see this game attendance being top 3 of the year...will be a little chilly, that's the only reason I see it not being all the way packed....I do hope I'm wrong however!

If only ESPN would bring Game Day to The Rock...

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Been following these boards since 2005 (freshman year) but never felt it appropriate to post given my direct involvement in intercollegiate athletics. I am most likely going to the game by myself, so I am looking for a tailgate to attach myself to! There is actually a slight possibility I will get a sideline pass which would be awesome but I wouldn't be able to tailgate, but that is unlikely given stricter credentials for NCAA events. Feel free to message me and I'll keep reading this thread. Also, does anyone know where WideRight has been?
With a noon start and low 20 temps, tailgating will be down overall, but someone should be doing some breakfast tailgating. Last week was the first week we just picked up food instead of cooking. Hate Noon games.

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Defintitely going to be a great game! Campus is already buzzing and the snow has tappered off...for now. HA! I can see this game attendance being top 3 of the year...will be a little chilly, that's the only reason I see it not being all the way packed....I do hope I'm wrong however!

If only ESPN would bring Game Day to The Rock...
Don't get your hopes up, we'll be very lucky to see 20k.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know how many viewers tuned in last year for the Montana - App St. game? Anyone know what rating it got? The game was on ESPN or ESPN 2 if I remember correctly. I definitely watched it, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on ESPNU. I'm curious to see how the ratings of that game will match up to this one.

NovaWildcat
December 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I would imagine that Villanova would bring a more national audience than Montana. Basketball alone makes us a bigger name. Putting that aside, if for nothing else it will attract a lot of curious Big East football fans.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I would imagine that Villanova would bring a more national audience than Montana. Basketball alone makes us a bigger name. Putting that aside, if for nothing else it will attract a lot of curious Big East football fans.

Well I hope your future conference mates will overlook the butt-kicking you're going to receive. xsmiley_wix

biggie
December 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know how many viewers tuned in last year for the Montana - App St. game? Anyone know what rating it got? The game was on ESPN or ESPN 2 if I remember correctly. I definitely watched it, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on ESPNU. I'm curious to see how the ratings of that game will match up to this one.
Google picked this up, the article link was broken:
"Appalachian State and Montana drew 2.54 million viewers."

Terrierforlife
December 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Haven't seen much Nova tape, but I will tell you guys as a SOCON fan that this ASU team is very good. Their aggressiveness on offense is unbelievable. The coaches do not leave a second on the clock without trying to score. If Nova gets down against App. like they did last week, forget about it.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Google picked this up, the article link was broken:
"Appalachian State and Montana drew 2.54 million viewers."

Just realized this. I thought that it wouldn't be that easy to find haha.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I don't see this game beating last year's Montana vs App St game in viewership. Last year's game was at 2 rather than 12, which is a little bit better in terms of viewership. Last year's Montana vs App St game is also the highest watched FCS playoff game on cable ever. It seems like a long shot that a quarterfinal game would break that record. I think this weekend's game is too early to directly lead in to the Heisman trophy show. You can be sure that the Montana vs App St game's ratings was helped a little by that.

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I don't see this game beating last year's Montana vs App St game in viewership. Last year's game was at 2 rather than 12, which is a little bit better in terms of viewership. Last year's Montana vs App St game is also the highest watched FCS playoff game on cable ever. It seems like a long shot that a quarterfinal game would break that record. I think this weekend's game is too early to directly lead in to the Heisman trophy show. You can be sure that the Montana vs App St game's ratings was helped a little by that.

Last year's Montana-ASU game started at 4:00 Eastern Time on ESPN. A great time slot for catching people getting back from Christmas shopping and waiting for the Heisman show. I personally like 12:00 games, but I can see why they're not ideal for ratings and attendance.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Truth be told, Appy State aint seen nothing like Nova all year, prepare to walk the plank Appy because your season is Villa overxsmileyclapx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM

I second all that, the kid is rock tough and a winner as you stated

SideLine Shooter
December 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Truth be told, Appy State aint seen nothing like Nova all year, prepare to walk the plank Appy because your season is Villa overxsmileyclapx

We do know that there is no team that can compare with Novy or any other CAA-Y team because they are the greatest conference and greatest teams in the country. It is good that Auburn didn't have to play any of the CAA-Y teams this year. The best we can hope for is to just make a decent showing on Saturday.

SideLine Shooter
December 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM

You may be right. If anybody tunes in to see the game it will probably be to watch ASU.

NovaWildcat
December 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
You may be right. If anybody tunes in to see the game it will probably be to watch ASU.

As great as App State is at the FCS level, national TV audiences don't care about them one bit. Their national spotlight honeymoon is over.

SideLine Shooter
December 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
As great as App State is at the FCS level, national TV audiences don't care about them one bit. Their national spotlight honeymoon is over.

OK, so when does Novy's start?

NovaWildcat
December 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM
OK, so when does Novy's start?

By 'novy' I assume you're referring to Nova? Hopefully soon, but who knows.

Do you disagree? Do you actually think App State has national appeal?

boonegoon
December 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Do you think Boise State does? Do you think Gonzaga does in basketball? Not saying App compares to those but, as a fan, I would like to see that.

SideLine Shooter
December 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Do really think Novy has national appeal? That is the real question.

PhillyApp1
December 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM

In College Football - YES - App State is worlds ahead of Nova. Ask ESPN.. Google APP State football and Google Villanova football

Ask anyone who beat Michigan and won 3 straight national championships ? Ask any Penn State fan who started Michigan's tailspin?

PhillyApp1
December 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Jack Sparrow i presume ???

Beware Jack, The Plank may be yours to walk ...... You know how life always surprises you,even in movies........and I can't wait til the next movie comes out!!

AppAlum2003
December 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Last Saturday nights Sportscenter featured highlights from one FCS playoff game... the one played in Boone. In fact, the left side scroll bar even read "Appalachian State Advances. " No mention of any other playoff games.

NovaWildcat
December 7th, 2010, 07:03 PM
1. App doesn't even enter a discussion with Gonzaga or Boise State. App is lucky to be mentioned or appear on national TV more than a handful of times every year. I understand the "underdog" story..but besides Michigan - does that even apply here?

2. (this is for you SideLineShooter since you have no interest in having an intelligent conversation) No, Nova football does not attract a national audience. Doesn't even attract a regional audience. Is anyone debating that?

3. Ask ESPN? Well actually, Nova football has gained SOME publicity in the last 6 months because of it's pending Big East decision. That SOME is better than NONE for App State. Again - this publicity does not mean we have national appeal.

4. I suggested that a Big East fan MAY be interested in checking Nova out. If that happens, great. But I can assure you no one outside of the small FCS circles or the App region will have any interest in your football team.

I look forward to a well-fought game. No doubt your team is the pinnacle of FCS football and we're a program in limbo that has a lot of uncertainty around it. But let's not assume that just because you're the big fish in a small pond, that it means anything nationally. (again, SideLine Shooter - that has NOTHING to do with Nova.)

PhillyApp1
December 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
YO Dude.... This is The Little Pond... and WE/APP STATE, are the Name team in this Little POND, Nationally.... as best as anyone in The Little Pond can be nationally known

Maybe SOMEDAY we can both play in the BIG Leagues together.

AppAlum2003
December 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
1. App doesn't even enter a discussion with Gonzaga or Boise State. App is lucky to be mentioned or appear on national TV more than a handful of times every year. I understand the "underdog" story..but besides Michigan - does that even apply here?

2. (this is for you SideLineShooter since you have no interest in having an intelligent conversation) No, Nova football does not attract a national audience. Doesn't even attract a regional audience. Is anyone debating that?

3. Ask ESPN? Well actually, Nova football has gained SOME publicity in the last 6 months because of it's pending Big East decision. That SOME is better than NONE for App State. Again - this publicity does not mean we have national appeal.

4. I suggested that a Big East fan MAY be interested in checking Nova out. If that happens, great. But I can assure you no one outside of the small FCS circles or the App region will have any interest in your football team.

I look forward to a well-fought game. No doubt your team is the pinnacle of FCS football and we're a program in limbo that has a lot of uncertainty around it. But let's not assume that just because you're the big fish in a small pond, that it means anything nationally. (again, SideLine Shooter - that has NOTHING to do with Nova.)

I have to disagree with point #3. When the ASU Feasibility Study was announced a few weeks ago, they mentioned it on Gameday and it stayed on the ESPN scroll for about 2 days.

Look, in no way are ASU fans saying the program is a media darling the likes of Boise and TCU, but we do get pretty good attention from ESPN.

NovaWildcat
December 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
YO Dude.... This is The Little Pond... and WE/APP STATE, are the Name team in this Little POND, Nationally.... as best as anyone in The Little Pond can be nationally known

Maybe SOMEDAY we can both play in the BIG Leagues together.

no doubt about it. if you're an FCS fan of any kind, you're tuning in to see, first and foremost, App State. But the ratings (which was the original conversation) come from the big pond.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM

We heard this from Hen fans back in 2007. 49-21 ring any bells?

In fact we hear it every single time a CAA team faces us in December. Only once did it actually come true, UR in 2008. I guess you keep saying things again and again and it's bound to be right at some point. But you CAA guys are like the little boy that cried wolf when it comes to matching up against ASU. We've never seen anything like what your team that week is bringing... wash, rinse, repeat. Really, can you at least try a different line occasionally?

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I have to disagree with point #3. When the ASU Feasibility Study was announced a few weeks ago, they mentioned it on Gameday and it stayed on the ESPN scroll for about 2 days.

Look, in no way are ASU fans saying the program is a media darling the likes of Boise and TCU, but we do get pretty good attention from ESPN.

Speaking of Gameday, and ESPN coverage, why don't you see where ESPN college gameday is going February 12th this year :-)

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082510aab.htm

^^^^^^^I'll save you some research.

People will only turn this game Saturday to watch APP STATE? I would say Nova has some pretty good national recognition too - even if it is our basketball that gives us this, and I agree with NovaWildcat that curious Big East fans will watch the game on Saturday. I'm not saying that the ratings won't be as high as the Montana game last year because nobody wants to watch Nova - It's just the game last year led right into the Heisman show, while this one will not. The difference between having a game at 4 o clock and 12 is humungous when it comes to TV ratings.

AppAlum2003
December 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Speaking of Gameday, and ESPN coverage, why don't you see where ESPN college gameday is going February 12th this year :-)

People will only turn this game Saturday to watch APP STATE? I would say Nova has some pretty good national recognition too - even if it is our basketball that gives us this, and I agree with NovaWildcat that curious Big East fans will watch the game on Saturday. I'm not saying that the ratings won't be as high as the Montana game last year because nobody wants to watch Nova - It's just the game last year led right into the Heisman show, while this one will not. The difference between having a game at 4 o clock and 12 is humungous when it comes to TV ratings.

Congrats on the publicity and Gameday coming to campus. I'm not claiming that VU is not on the ESPN radar, just refuting the claim that ASU gets ZERO attention on ESPN.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Congrats on the publicity and Gameday coming to campus. I'm not claiming that VU is not on the ESPN radar, just refuting the claim that ASU gets ZERO attention on ESPN.

Well it's not deniable that you gots get zero attention from ESPN. It's only facts that you guys got the only coverage on Sportscenter. I had some sort of Big 10 game on in the background last week, and during that game, they showed updates a couple of times of what was going on in the App St game. That will never happen to Nova for football unless we go Big East.

OldSouth
December 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/article_75fe7856-f5be-11de-84be-001cc4c002e0.html

Last years ratings. Semi game gets higher ratings than the national championship with same team that played in that semi game. I wonder who they tuned into to watch.

PhillyApp - give em hell. The 111 and the Boz machine will roll on Sat.

VUCats02
December 7th, 2010, 09:41 PM
OldSouth, Thanks for the information. The fact that the national championship game had fewer viewers than a semi-final game is not new, however. Most years the semi-final game on ESPN draws more viewers than the national championship game on ESPN2. It has been proven that ESPN gets significantly more viewers than ESPN 2. In 2007, the semi-final game on ESPN of Delaware vs Southern Illinois had more viewers than the national championship game on ESPN 2 of Delaware vs. App St. This has happened virtually every year since ESPN picked up the semi-final and final games.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM
primetime slot goes to who? Delaware Blue Hens

MountaineerMania54
December 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
IIRC, App/Nova is on the ESPN flagship station, and UNH/UD is on ESPN2. So while UNH/UD is on Friday night, one could argue that being on the flagship is more high profile than the "Deuce"

ChattTown Mountaineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Do you actually think App State has national appeal?

You've clearly not been hanging out in Ohio. As amusing as it is, we're still big there. They're still wearing our t-shirts to games. (yeah, Ohio ain't the nation.)

I think this conversation has gotten incredibly silly. One thing that might be helpful is separating football from basketball. I can't imagine App's bball team getting on Sportscenter much, but Nova basketball is a consistent player on the national level. On the other hand, they have to pretty much will a national championship for the football team to get a look. Appalachian grabbed some spotlight with their great run and they are still in motion, so we grab a little news. I'm amazed by where I get comments when I wear ASU gear. I'm not saying it's fair or merit based. That's just what I see. I think national news considers the FCS "human interest."

Bottom line, National attention for FCS schools is limited. I don't mind. I don't think I'd enjoy the way big money seems to pollute the climate in the big leagues like ACC and SEC. Our coaches actually like each other.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM

You're right. ESPN showing highlights of our win against WIU and ESPN doing an "All Access" show in Boone this year shows how little appeal ASU has. I'd say there's some appeal there if ESPN is going to take up precious airtime that could be used to talk about the BCS and Brett Favre. Not to mention the feasibility study getting some airtime on SportsCenter, the crawler, and ESPN's homepage.

Does ASU have national appeal, probably not. But when there's no "Big Boy" football on this week and if people hear Appalachian is playing on ESPN, I'm sure that'll bring in some viewers. I'm not sure I get the point of this "argument" though...what FCS school has national appeal for football? If they did, people wouldn't want to move up.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Key word. Basketball. You guys bring it in roundball. Having won a National Championship and being in the Big East has it's perks. Just as you said Nova football has nothing to do with this argument, neither does Nova basketball.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
We do know that there is no team that can compare with Novy or any other CAA-Y team because they are the greatest conference and greatest teams in the country. It is good that Auburn didn't have to play any of the CAA-Y teams this year. The best we can hope for is to just make a decent showing on Saturday.

It's an honor to be on the field competing with the defending national champions, CAA powerhouse and most likely Big East football member.

All we can hope for is our best effort against such a superior foe.

And if folks traveling to Watauga aren't planning a ski package - what's wrong with you? Most include restaurant discounts. Conditions couldn't be any better.

We may not like you but we will treat you well xlolx

Peppers and the Red Onion in Boone. Woodlands & Canyons in B-Rock. Mike's Inland Seafood is surprisingly good.

With the skiing comes boarding, ice skating, tubing, etc. Other than that you might want to check out The Turchin Center. With exams doubtful on the live music.

And I hope you guys are happy. Boone postponed the holiday parade until the 18th.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I really dont think many people are gonna be turning this one on to watch NOVA, we just dont attract enough attetion. If that was the case we would sell out our home games, and have a decent sized showing at all away games. But neither of these happen, and i think thats the first sign of us attracting any attention. If even students and alumni dont pay attention, why would you think america would?

SoCon48
December 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Four of the last five National Champs will meet in the quarterfinals.

Last year, App beat defending champs Richmond in the quarterfinals. Now they have a chance to dethrone the reigning champs again.

Also, it's Socon vs CAA in a battle of which conference can get two semifinalist.

They're (NCAA) taking the first step to an easy way out by having two SoCon teams go against each other early on. (Wofford vs GSU)

SoCon48
December 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Agreed - you can break into the dorms and find a better meal. I never go to Boone without eating at Macado's on King Street. Never ever. I don't know if the place on the corner of Deerfield and 321 is still open, but it was good too. It's probably been three different restaurants since then. Pepper's has a few great sandwiches. I always get the Jean Lawson, which is a bootleg of Boone Drugs' JC Hottentot. Yum. How did I get on sandwiches?

What I really want to know is how to pronounce "Matt Szczur." I got the first part cuz I'm smart, but the back half sounds like a video game sound effect when I attempt it. Zir? Zoor? Zucker? Snikt!?

The people waiting a hour or two to get in at DBI would disagree with you. But if the deal is beer then the DBI is out.

proasu89
December 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
They're (NCAA) taking the first step to an easy way out by having two SoCon teams go against each other early on. (Wofford vs GSU)

UNH vs UD

Rekdiver
December 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I believe its pronounced SEE ZER you know like the Roman kind?

cowboy91
December 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Caesar

AppStFan76
December 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The people waiting a hour or two to get in at DBI would disagree with you. But if the deal is beer then the DBI is out.

IMO those people dont know what good food is if they are waiting 1 hr to get into that crap hole......they could walk 5 mins down the street and eat at the Red Onion and have some good food.

I grew up in Boone and when I'm there, if I want good "country" cooking, I'll go to my grandmothers house, DBI food is horrible!

Can you tell I dont like that place! hahaha

To each his own

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Szczur : pronounced (Caesar, like previously mentioned)......The only six letter, two syllable word/name I can think of that only has one vowel :-P

AshevilleApp
December 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Szczur : pronounced (Caesar, like previously mentioned)......The only six letter, two syllable word/name I can think of that only has one vowel :-P

Syzygy...that's three syllables with 0 "common" vowels

AppMAN04
December 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Going to be one for the ages! I personally like macados, makotos and if your early enough to get breakfast ... Boone Baglery is tasty and walking distance to campus.. Either way Ill be out early dressed warm and hoping the drinks will do the rest... GO ASU!!

GunsAndGuitars
December 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
IMO those people dont know what good food is if they are waiting 1 hr to get into that crap hole......they could walk 5 mins down the street and eat at the Red Onion and have some good food.

I grew up in Boone and when I'm there, if I want good "country" cooking, I'll go to my grandmothers house, DBI food is horrible!

Can you tell I dont like that place! hahaha

To each his own

There is a hole in the wall place in Deep Gap which shall not be named for reasons of crowding on game day that has MUCH better country cooking. I might just have to frequent said place Saturday or/AND Sunday. DBI isn't THAT bad, but it's no Hillbilly Hideaway (Walnut Cove/Belews Creek, NC -- look it up when you're in the triad region).

I'm pretty happy about this game being in Boone. It will be close but if it is close, I still feel good about App's chances. Of course, App has never seen a CAA team or anything like a CAA team. SoCon teams will never be anywhere close to CAA teams (but you know, not many NOVA fans have been saying this).

What elevations does NOVA play at during a regular season. Mechanicsville, PA (yes I know it's only close) is at 439 ft above sea level. I know that everybody thinks this is a worthless argument, but honestly, if you don't spend time at elevation, it will take its toll on you.

Block-A
December 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM

I agree w/ this 100%.

Boone Bagelry is tasty and walking distance to campus..

Nothing beats a garlic bagel w/ lox & tomato, and a bottomless cup of coffee to start the day. :-)

AppStFan76
December 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
There is a hole in the wall place in Deep Gap which shall not be named for reasons of crowding on game day that has MUCH better country cooking. I might just have to frequent said place Saturday or/AND Sunday. DBI isn't THAT bad, but it's no Hillbilly Hideaway (Walnut Cove/Belews Creek, NC -- look it up when you're in the triad region).

I'm pretty happy about this game being in Boone. It will be close but if it is close, I still feel good about App's chances. Of course, App has never seen a CAA team or anything like a CAA team. SoCon teams will never be anywhere close to CAA teams (but you know, not many NOVA fans have been saying this).

What elevations does NOVA play at during a regular season. Mechanicsville, PA (yes I know it's only close) is at 439 ft above sea level. I know that everybody thinks this is a worthless argument, but honestly, if you don't spend time at elevation, it will take its toll on you.

I will have to check that place out....my dad grew up in Stokes county (Lawsonville) so I'm familiar with Walnut Cove.

And growing up in the mountains I will agree the elevation does make a difference. Ask the Cross Country team. When I go back to Boone and walk up the hill to the stadium I can tell.....well maybe thats cause I'm geting older and out of shape xlolx

AppStFan76
December 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCUUnRGBuZ4

Sounds about right!!

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Sounds about right!!DANG STRAIGHT!!!! I can't wait, I'm literally shaking as I type this.

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Syzygy...that's three syllables with 0 "common" vowels

Hahaha that's kind of cheating. I believe at least two of those "y's" are considered vowels.

charliej
December 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Sounds about right!!

Sounds more like a guy that has no clue to me. Ball is a good RB, but I would say Szczur,Whitney maybe even White have made more of an impact for Nova.....and he never even mentioned them.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hahaha that's kind of cheating. I believe at least two of those "y's" are considered vowels.

We prefer 'peak creative interpretation' to 'cheat'.

Witsend
December 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Mountianeers by 17+ my prediction....Nova does not have the speed to handle these guys....

App-a-latch-un
December 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I don't eat at Daniel Boone Inn ever, but tourists LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So if you're from out of town and want a family style meal that's a little hokey go for it, but there are many better places to dine around town. There is a newer place for country cooking, but it's already packed and a locals place, I'd hate to let that secret out.

-If you want BBQ Sledge Hammer Charlies trumps Woodlands or Bandanas (I know I know, I used to be a Woodlands homer as well, one trip to Sledge Hammers and I've never been back to Woodlands)
-For great sushi go to Makotos.
-Beer and wings got to Murphy's or Boone Saloon.
-Breakfast go to Melanies or Hob Nob Farm Cafe, Boone Bagelry is beyond overrated.
-If you want fine dining consider Peddlers, Vidalia, Bistro Roca, Twigs, and Best Cellar. Best Cellar being my favorite in that category.
-Others to consider would be Black Cat, Red Onion, Macados (if you're sandwich crazy), Portofino's, & Foggy Rock Eatery and Pub (new in Blowing Rock).

I saw someone mentioned Canyons, they have a great view but their food sucks horribly imo. Also avoid Klondike.

My favorite place in all of Boone to eat would be Hob Nob Farm Cafe for breakfast lunch and dinner. (formerly Tupelos World Cafe same place new name)

Expect for service to be slower in some of the local places than you are used to, just the way it is. xbeerchugx

AppStFan76
December 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Sounds more like a guy that has no clue to me. Ball is a good RB, but I would say Szczur,Whitney maybe even White have made more of an impact for Nova.....and he never even mentioned them.

He also didnt mention DeAndre, Devon Moore, Cline, Elder, Fletcher, Bozzo, Mills, Ruff, Ervine, etc, etc....what do want the guy to do go through the entire roster?

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Mountianeers by 17+ my prediction....Nova does not have the speed to handle these guys....

Someone is really cocky. Betcha you've never even seen Nova play this year. Maybe basing your prediction on the fact that you're "Big Boy App St" and facing a small catholic university with less than 7500 students? Good logic. Nova is a lot faster than many people make think.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM

We prefer 'peak creative interpretation' to 'cheat'.

He's got a slick operation going there (think of his investment in little biddy helmets). On the Appalachian defense we go as far as guys like Bobby Bozzo, John Rizor, Jeremy Kimbrough, Dominique McDuffie, et al, make plays along side Smith, Legree & Fletcher. Collectively, they won't shy away from making the big play. The guys step up.

The defense has had their ups and downs (guys like Riddle & Coleman killed us) but had a big day against WIU. They've turned into a talented combined bunch of experience and youth. I suspect you will get some new looks and stunts to spice things up. Coach Moore will bring the 'A' playbook -- the Appalachian defense has played quite conservatively so far.

The thing about the Appalachian defense is they can effectively take a few of your guys out of the game. Focusing on White & Szczur will force Ball, Goss & Whitney to make the big plays. Run defense is effective -- putting it in the air 40 times wore us out the first of the season, but Barr got nuthin' last week.

Appalachian is going to run the football. You will get a steady dose of Presley, Moore, Baker & Cadet with a little Radford/Chisholm thrown in for good measure. Conditions permitting/required, Appalachian can throw the ball 25-30 plays, or not. They seem most happy with 2:1 run/pass.

Someone is really cocky. Betcha you've never even seen Nova play this year. Maybe basing your prediction on the fact that you're "Big Boy App St" and facing a small catholic university with less than 7500 students? Good logic. Nova is a lot faster than many people make think.

I've seen Nova 6 or 7 times this year. Your field goal kicking really sucks. It's even worse than Elon "No Right Hash" field goal kicking.

One would think that a small Catholic would be a really good field goal kicker.

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
With regards to Nova's field goal kicking, we just recently got a new field goal kicker. The one who you saw only does kickoffs now. Hamilton (our new kicker) was 4 for 4 last week and 5 for 6 on the season.

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
By the way, what does that have to do with Nova's speed?? Haha

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
My three favorite places to eat in Boone are Woodlands, Makotos, and the Boone Drug. But I rarely eat before or after the games, you can't get in anywhere so I'll either get some fast food in the Lenoir area or just go straight on back, it's only like an hour from Boone for me.

Witsend
December 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, saw Nova play...they don't have the speed and are not physically fit to play in this altitude, nor in freezing rain......"Cocky" whatever you want to think....you better pray.....I am catholic too.

AppStsGr8
December 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM

All of the y's are vowels. They're not "common" vowels. Those are a,e,i,o,u.

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah, saw Nova play...they don't have the speed and are not physically fit to play in this altitude, nor in freezing rain......"Cocky" whatever you want to think....you better pray.....I am catholic too.

Yeah you're right. Nova should just not even bother going. Finals are this weekend. Players can take them on time and get home and rest up for next season. App State is just too prestigious of a program and are way out of our league. Maybe if the game was on sea level we'd be able to pull a George Mason, but that just won't be the case...

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM

I'm on record thinking ASU wins by 17 as well (a late score making it that). We've seen first hand how a team the relies so much on one player to succeed can fall apart when that one player is taken away. You've seen it too. And it;s a LOT easier to take away a WR/Wildcat QB than it is to take away a true QB.

Over this last 5 year run for ASU there have been exactly two CAA teams we have faced in the playoffs that I came away impressed with. The 2006 UMass team (that we beat) and the 2008 Richmond team (that we lost to). The rest have been more hype than substance. So you'll forgive myself and many other ASU fans if we say that your team is going to have to prove itself on the field.

If the weather is not a factor here, I really think you're in for a rude awakening here to just what the talent gap there is between these two teams. Nova has proven already that they're a shell of themselves without Szczur. ASU begins with Pressley this year, and there's no doubt he is the centerpiece of our offense. But unlike Szczur, he will touch the ball every single play. And there's an awful lot backing him up, and that's on both sides of the ball.

If it sleets or snows, all bets are off. In that instance it will come down to who can stop the other teams ace player the most, because we showed last week that the snow derails the passing game for us.

VUCats02
December 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I'm on record thinking ASU wins by 17 as well (a late score making it that). We've seen first hand how a team the relies so much on one player to succeed can fall apart when that one player is taken away. You've seen it too. And it;s a LOT easier to take away a WR/Wildcat QB than it is to take away a true QB.

Over this last 5 year run for ASU there have been exactly two CAA teams we have faced in the playoffs that I came away impressed with. The 2006 UMass team (that we beat) and the 2008 Richmond team (that we lost to). The rest have been more hype than substance. So you'll forgive myself and many other ASU fans if we say that your team is going to have to prove itself on the field.

If the weather is not a factor here, I really think you're in for a rude awakening here to just what the talent gap there is between these two teams. Nova has proven already that they're a shell of themselves without Szczur. ASU begins with Pressley this year, and there's no doubt he is the centerpiece of our offense. But unlike Szczur, he will touch the ball every single play. And there's an awful lot backing him up, and that's on both sides of the ball.

If it sleets or snows, all bets are off. In that instance it will come down to who can stop the other teams ace player the most, because we showed last week that the snow derails the passing game for us.

This just in : Nova is not a one-man team. Maybe mentally they need Szczur, but not physically. Szczur did NOTHING against Delaware - and we beat them. Ball and Babarro are very talented running backs. Norman White is a stud wide receiver. Our left side of the o-line is by far the best in the FCS. Chris Whitney was 2nd team all-CAA behind Devlin, who will be the highest drafted FCS QB in the NFL draft this year. Sounds like some pretty good weapons to me.

HailSzczur
December 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
aaron ball is only 1 of 4 guys who could easily go for 100 yds any game...this guy doesnt know what hes talking about. you can shut down ball for all we care and we still have a great shot to win. hell you can shut down all our running backs.
stressing the app st balance which granted is great but how can you down size the balance of the nova offense that much

charliej
December 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
He also didnt mention DeAndre, Devon Moore, Cline, Elder, Fletcher, Bozzo, Mills, Ruff, Ervine, etc, etc....what do want the guy to do go through the entire roster?

Not the point. If he feels that by shutting down Ball ASU will get the win... he's clueless.

Would be like saying, Stop Devon Moore and Nova should win.

Anovafan
December 8th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Everyone doubted Nova's speed until they ran away from Montana last year. Sczcur is faster than anyone on App. St's defense, without question. Nova is a fast team along with being a tough, smash you in the mouth physical team. If any App. St. fan doubts these facts, they really haven't seen Nova play in the last 3 years.

KiddBrewer
December 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
good lord, is it saturday yet!?!?!xbangxxbangxxbangx

jlcharles
December 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM

Szczur is not the whole team. There are plenty of other playmakers on offense. As VUCats02 said, Szczur didn't do anything against UD, but we went into their house and beat them. Everyone knew who would get the ball last year and Montana still couldn't stop him. Honestly, with national television and Szczur really wanting to make a go of an NFL career, we may see a better performance than his National Championship game MVP.

Again though, the game is going to be close, less than 7 probably.

AppMAN04
December 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
If it is fair weather, we will win easy by at least 2 TD's..If we get The snow/sleet it will be tough, but I think we will pull it out in the end.. Not taking anything from Nova, because you guys are a good team and all, but elevation,crowd and the high that we are on right now wont let us lose... I have the 2006 feeling inside of me and I have been saying it all season long. Best of luck to both teams, I cant wait til Saturday!!

LehighFan11
December 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Don't forget who's is this year's defending champ.

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I think App State fans are being way too optimistic. They have had a strong year and all but this 'Nova D will be comparable to GSU and ASU's O got slow down. I watched last weeks game and yes I know the weather was bad but Presely made poor decisions. The INT in the redzone throwing across his body is a JV play. Presely will be the key for App on O because if he gets the corner, it will be a big play. 'Nova is peaking at the right time and for those of you think its "stop szczur we are okay" GL. I say Ds get the better of the Os in this game and keep it in the 20s. I'll take Nova's experience.

SpeedkingATL
December 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I think these teams match up very closely pretty much across the board. The X factor for me is that App is playing at home on field turf, hopefully in front of a big home crowd. I don't expect anything about this game to be easy for either team but do expect the home team to live to play another week.

boonedocks
December 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I think App State fans are being way too optimistic. They have had a strong year and all but this 'Nova D will be comparable to GSU and ASU's O got slow down.

ASU had 3 turnovers inside the redzone. That's what slowed App down. Although, GSU's D is very good. I don't think Nova's D is on their level. Teams are averaging over 200 yards in the air.

I watched last weeks game and yes I know the weather was bad but Presely made poor decisions. The INT in the redzone throwing across his body is a JV play.

You need to watch it again. He was throwing to the tight end, and the MVFC defensive player of the year made a great play. "JV play." Hilarious. The first interception was much worse than that one.

Presely will be the key for App on O because if he gets the corner, it will be a big play. 'Nova is peaking at the right time and for those of you think its "stop szczur we are okay" GL. I say Ds get the better of the Os in this game and keep it in the 20s. I'll take Nova's experience.

I would be suprised if Nova holds ASU in the 20s. If they do, it will be looking good for the Cat's to advance. And Nova's experience? This ASU team hasn't been in playoff battles at home and on the road in the past few seasons? Maybe you should re-check the results from the past few years. The experience factor is a push at best.

Witsend
December 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I have two extra tickets on the 48 yd. line on home side...anyone want them...$27 each excellent tickets....

Witsend
December 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Check Boone weather for game here. www.booneweather.com

GaSouthern
December 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm very sad I won't be able to watch the App game live but i'll surely watch presley carve up the Villanova D on my DVR when I get home... hopefully I'm in a sober good mood from a win :)

One thing is for sure, AT LEAST one SoCon team is going into the Semis, Make it 2 App!

Witsend
December 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Check out this link about NOVA http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2010/dec/07/on-a-roll-streaking-villanova-comes-to-boone-on-a--ar-596431/

CrackerRiley
December 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
good lord, is it saturday yet!?!?!xbangxxbangxxbangx

Two days!!

UNH Fanboi
December 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I know ASU did well in bad weather against WIU, but I think bad weather would definitely favor Nova and their style of play. They have such a good o-line and so many different ways to run the ball.

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM
You need to watch it again. He was throwing to the tight end, and the MVFC defensive player of the year made a great play. "JV play." Hilarious. The first interception was much worse than that one.

I would be suprised if Nova holds ASU in the 20s. If they do, it will be looking good for the Cat's to advance. And Nova's experience? This ASU team hasn't been in playoff battles at home and on the road in the past few seasons? Maybe you should re-check the results from the past few years. The experience factor is a push at best.

Presley rolled to his right then threw across his body to the middle of the field. It is a very poor decision and if the MVFC DPOY was there, it makes the decision even worse. I know App St has played in huge games at home and away, but how many of those did Presley start? If this game is decided by each team's ability to throw the ball in the 2nd half, I'll take Whitney. 'Nova won last year with Whitney at QB, App St doesn't have Armanti anymore. Presley is just as capable on the ground as Armanti was, but I'm questioning his ability to throw the ball efficiently. Yes, I'm aware his first INT came against GSU. I'm not bashing ASU at all, just simply stating App St needs to be more concerned about this matchup than I'm seeing throughout this thread.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Glad to have internet again.......and no I didn't forget to pay my bills....I'm in A-stan.

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL and App is at it again! Can't wait till Saturday me and another alum over here will be tuned in at 9:30 pm (our time) to watch this one.

My next question would be to Appman then, are we not great fans since we won't be able to make it to the stadium?

Go App...........

appvette
December 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Everyone doubted Nova's speed until they ran away from Montana last year. Sczcur is faster than anyone on App. St's defense, without question. Nova is a fast team along with being a tough, smash you in the mouth physical team. If any App. St. fan doubts these facts, they really haven't seen Nova play in the last 3 years.

Incorrect... see Troy Sanders. Not sure of his 40 time, but he was seen running Presley down in practice. Presley is considered a little faster than Armanti was in a straight line and Armanti and Sczcur have similar 40 times. Regardless, I agree that many App fans are underestimating how good Nova is when they're healthy.

Skjellyfetti
December 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Presley is just as capable on the ground as Armanti was, but I'm questioning his ability to throw the ball efficiently.

You're questioning Presley's ability to throw the ball efficiently? Let's look at their stats.

Chris Whitney: 179/275 65% 5 INT's 2040 yards 21 TD's 148.97 rating
DeAndre Presley: 179/287 62% 6 INT's 2270 yards 146.47 rating

Those look VERY even to me. I guess DeAndre's 1 more interception means that he's prone to throw picks?

DeAndre is 11th in the country in passing efficiency... but, you're questioning his ability to throw the ball efficiently? xoopsx

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
You're questioning Presley's ability to throw the ball efficiently? Let's look at their stats.

Those look VERY even to me. I guess DeAndre's 1 more interception means that he's prone to throw picks?

DeAndre is 11th in the country in passing efficiency... but, you're questioning his ability to throw the ball efficiently? xoopsx

Yes I knew the statistics would say that and someone would site them. However, as the competition increased towards the end of the season his performance declined statistically speaking. He threw 6 INTs to 5 TDs over the last 5 games and none of those INTs were against Florida. That doesn't concern you? I'll admit the only game I watched on TV was last weeks game and I know the conditions were awful. I highly question his decision making in the first half. Although the rest of the two teams are very equal in experience, Presley's lack of experience compared to Whitney would worry me if I'm an App fan.

SideLine Shooter
December 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Yes I knew the statistics would say that and someone would site them. However, as the competition increased towards the end of the season his performance declined statistically speaking. He threw 6 INTs to 5 TDs over the last 5 games and none of those INTs were against Florida. That doesn't concern you? I'll admit the only game I watched on TV was last weeks game and I know the conditions were awful. I highly question his decision making in the first half. Although the rest of the two teams are very equal in experience, Presley's lack of experience compared to Whitney would worry me if I'm an App fan.

I think we should forfeit since we don't have a chance in Haiti of beating the best team in the country. (Nova for those folks that aren't aware of that)

They have the best players, the best coaches, the best Head Coach, the best stadium, the best fans, the best uniforms, the best facilities, the best cheerleaders, the best waterboy, the best water, the best shoes, the best tape, the best bench warmers, the best basketball team, the best gym, the best school, in the best city in the world.

Black and Gold Express
December 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Although the rest of the two teams are very equal in experience, Presley's lack of experience compared to Whitney would worry me if I'm an App fan.

No, we don't worry. We have faith in our team, which is more than just DeAndre. Saturday can't get here fast enough.

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The great thing about being a fan is that you don't have to be concerned, and no matter how much blind faith you put into the team, it has no outcome on the game. You think the players decide how they will play based on how cocky fans the are on message boards. I'll let the coaches address and correct the "concerns." Coach Moore has and Coach Talley have 1000x more football knowledge than we do, so I let the coaches do the worrying.

james_lawfirm
December 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I think we should forfeit since we don't have a chance in Haiti of beating the best team in the country. (Nova for those folks that aren't aware of that)

They have the best players, the best coaches, the best Head Coach, the best stadium, the best fans, the best uniforms, the best facilities, the best cheerleaders, the best waterboy, the best water, the best shoes, the best tape, the best bench warmers, the best basketball team, the best gym, the best school, in the best city in the world.

Nova does not have the best city in the world. I prefer Boone ... Now that I think of it, I prefer Hudson, N.C. to Philadelphia. And, I'm not too keen on their fans either - they don't seem to have many.

They do have a darn good football team. So do we. Is it Saturday yet?

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Christ. No need to get stupid. Did I ever say Nova was going to blow App out? No. This overconfidence is sickening.

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
The great thing about being a fan is that you don't have to be concerned, and no matter how much blind faith you put into the team, it has no outcome on the game. You think the players decide how they will play based on how cocky fans the are on message boards. I'll let the coaches address and correct the "concerns." Coach Moore has and Coach Talley have 1000x more football knowledge than we do, so I let the coaches do the worrying.

Completely true.

charliej
December 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't go that far....Tape is probably about equal ;)

HailSzczur
December 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Skjellyfetti;1597585]

between that comparrison and the comparison made of szczur's 40yd time vs Presley's I think it should make for one of the greatest games well see in a long time, at any level.

.....however i would like to point out that presley is being compared to 2 different players who each can do it all

biggie
December 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Yep, all we have is Presley, no one else, hope VU thinks that way.

boonedocks
December 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I was quick to jump on Lehigh Fan. Though I still disagree about that INT, he has made some valid points. I think we can all agree that Villanova is a good team. I think we can also agree that App is a good team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I'm rooting for Vill to win......maybe Bison can win at EWU and get a semi game in the FFD.

Huge challenge to win at Appy.

Hoping for a Vill win but IMO, 'neers win by 2 TDs.

Black and Gold Express
December 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
This overconfidence is sickening.

As I said before, we've seen too many times the last few years where a CAA team came into a playoff game with us as supposedly the best team on the planet. We keep sending them home with a L, with one exception. Maybe VU will hang a loss on us, but until they do we've earned the right to have a ton of confidence in our team's chances of advancing against the mighty CAA, especially at The Rock.

You want to shut us up, there's only one way to do that. But then again, this isn't even your school we're talking about here, so I fail to understand your particular passion about this game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I like Appy in this one. Nova's pass defense is suspect, and they are coming up against a corps of receivers that are hands down the best they will face all season. It's not Presley you need to be concerned about. If Presley has an average amount of time to throw the ball then those guys will get open and passes will be completed.

If Nova can get the same kind of pressure that GSU did, then I can see them shutting App. State down, but somehow I don't think Nova's (or any other FCS team's for that matter) pass rush is as good as GSU's.

LehighFan11
December 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
As I said before, we've seen too many times the last few years where a CAA team came into a playoff game with us as supposedly the best team on the planet. We keep sending them home with a L, with one exception. Maybe VU will hang a loss on us, but until they do we've earned the right to have a ton of confidence in our team's chances of advancing against the mighty CAA, especially at The Rock.

You want to shut us up, there's only one way to do that. But then again, this isn't even your school we're talking about here, so I fail to understand your particular passion about this game.

I've been a large supporter of App St during their title runs and Villanova last year. Their offensive styles and skill players intrigue me. I'll be watching as a FCS fan and I'll be getting some of my FBS followers to watch to showcase FCS football. I was just surprised to see the prediction some ASU fans were making. ASU could easy win this game and I agree with the game being down at the Rock, ASU should be the slight favorite.

Waco Kid
December 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Of his 6 INT's I would say only 3 were poor decisions, and 1 of those he was being hit as he released the ball so it might not be totally his fault. The other two were last week in a terrible snow storm, and I honestly think he had trouble seeing the W Ill players in their white uni's. On two of his picks the receiver fell down so it's hard to put the blame on him. All I know is he's only the 4th QB to ever have a 2000/1000 yard season.

If last week was the only time you have been able to watch DeAndre I can see why you wouldn't think highly of his passing, but remember that we also picked off Barr 3 times on the same day. He had over 3,000 yards 27 TD, and only 7 INT coming into that game.

Tell us what you think after Saturday's game.

Waco Kid
December 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Presley is in the 4.3's and I saw Sanders run him down in practice. Troy had to stop and turn around before going after Deandre. It was pretty impressive. Also DJ Smith ran down Chris Rainey of Florida a couple weeks ago. Not bad for a 235lb MLB!

Szczur is definitely fast, but we aren't exactly a bunch of snails out there. Western Illinois coach commented that he thought our guys were running at full speed despite the snow, but our players admitted they couldn't run full speed. If we could have run full speed it would have been really ugly.

Villanova may win but it won't be because Szczur is too fast for us.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Nova is a great team and one that is built to give ASU trouble. Large mobile offensive lineman that will give Whitney enough time to expose ASU's pass defense. If ASU doesn't pressure the QB the secondary breaks down after 3-4 seconds. Then they have the X-factor to keep them honest. I'm also concerned about Nova's defense, solid rush defense and their coaches will make adjustments.

That said ASU has all the talent to beat Nova with the stable of RBs and WRs and of course DP. The key for me will be getting Cadet and or Moore solid gains on first down and getting tackles for loss against Nova's huge oline.

I'm expecting a Richmond or Montana like game from last year.

CornCobPipes
December 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM

In Blowing Rock there are several good places to eat: The Foggy Rock
Canyons
Woodlands Barbecue
Pssgettis

Saint3333
December 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Pssgettis is terrible, stay away. Go to Twigs instead.

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Pssgettis is terrible, stay away. Go to Twigs instead.

A late supper at Twigs, and then moving over into the bar area for some music and drinks is a top notch night out in BR. Ahh the memories of undergrad...

VUCats02
December 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna throw this one out there right now. Matt Szczur will have a touchdown pass in this game. He has a 100% completion percentage this year of 3 for 3! App will be so worried about his running game, he will find a man wide open down field.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Glad to have internet again.......and no I didn't forget to pay my bills....I'm in A-stan.

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL and App is at it again! Can't wait till Saturday me and another alum over here will be tuned in at 9:30 pm (our time) to watch this one.

My next question would be to Appman then, are we not great fans since we won't be able to make it to the stadium?

Go App...........

Mountaineer 96-is AFN carrying the game? I had to get up at like 2 a.m. last year to watch us play Montana when I was at Balad, but it was worth it.

AppMAN04
December 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Go App...........

Yes sir!! And thank you for your service also! IM LOSING MY MIND, BRING IT ON NOVA!!

B&G
December 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I'm just glad that both teams had someone pull the "we shouldn't even show up" card. It's not a true overdramatic pissing contest of a thread until that one rears its ugly head.

charliej
December 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm just glad that both teams had someone pull the "we shouldn't even show up" card. It's not a true overdramatic pissing contest of a thread until that one rears its ugly head.

Aint that the truth. ;)

AppAlum2003
December 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I've been a large supporter of App St during their title runs and Villanova last year. Their offensive styles and skill players intrigue me. I'll be watching as a FCS fan and I'll be getting some of my FBS followers to watch to showcase FCS football. I was just surprised to see the prediction some ASU fans were making. ASU could easy win this game and I agree with the game being down at the Rock, ASU should be the slight favorite.

He tells the truth here folks... He's been a good supporter of ASU the last few years and isn't trying to degrade the team here, just offering an honest assessment. Do I agree with him 100%? Nope. Doesn't he have the right to his opinion? yup.

boonegoon
December 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Christ. No need to get stupid. Did I ever say Nova was going to blow App out? No. This overconfidence is sickening.

You know, I agree. I hate poormouthing, I don't care who it is.

boonegoon
December 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
A late supper at Twigs, and then moving over into the bar area for some music and drinks is a top notch night out in BR. Ahh the memories of undergrad...

Oh, I totally concur!

GunsAndGuitars
December 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, but then Boone got liquor-by-the drink and ruined the college scene in Blowing Rock for the most part...Six Pence has always been one of my favorites. It's smaller and quieter than most of the other places.

MountaineerMania54
December 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, but then Boone got liquor-by-the drink and ruined the college scene in Blowing Rock for the most part...Six Pence has always been one of my favorites. It's smaller and quieter than most of the other places.

Twigs has always been one of my favorites. I do love Sixpence though for some car bombs!

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Mountaineer 96-is AFN carrying the game? I had to get up at like 2 a.m. last year to watch us play Montana when I was at Balad, but it was worth it.

Yeah this one and the UNH vs UD game are both on AFN. We can't get anything in HD like we could back in the states but at least we got the games on. Me and another App are taking over the TV, hopefully we both have enough rank to keep it.

GunsAndGuitars
December 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

jlcharles
December 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Isn't it great that we get to settle this on the field?

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Chris Whitney.. no speed, all guts

AshevilleApp2
December 10th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Isn't it great that we get to settle this on the field?

Yes. Should be a great game, with the survivor having a real shot at the title. I hope the 'Nova fans who make it to Boone enjoy some good hospitality. Lose the game of course, but enjoy the overall experience.

AAadict
December 10th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Boone is an awesome experience. Went there for a playoff game in 2005 (daughter...Lafayette). They are serious about Christmas tree's and football. If UD ever matches up with App. State in football I would love to go back.

Villanova fans...go to this game. The tailgating at ASU and the atmosphere are worth the trip down. TV will not do it justice. My family had more fun in Boone than ANY other tailgate experience and that includes my 11 years at UD games in the Blue Lot.

mountaineermaniac
December 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Here is number crunching from appfan.com-great site for App St. sports discusssions.
Some stats you need to know heading into the Quarterfinals

3 – Buck Buchanan Award finalists on the App State defense, DJ Smith, Mark Legree ad Jabari Fletcher
2 – Walter Payton finalists on the Villanova offense, QB Chris Whitney and tackle Ben Ijalana.
1 – Walter Payton final three on the App State offense, DeAndre Presley (That’s a lot of talent in one game)

138-58 – Villanova scoring advantage in the second quarter this season
116-58 – App State scoring advantage in first quarter this season
104/38 – App State/Villanova scoring in third quarter this season (One can make adjustments quick, the other …?)

306 – Average weight of the Villanova offensive line/tight ends, two deep
297 – Average weight of the Florida offensive line/tight ends, two deep
303 – Average weight of the NC Central offensive line/tight ends, two deep (Maybe size doesn’t matter?)

1,153/2,251 – Rushing/Passing yards by Armanti Edwards in his freshman year
1,588/1,948 – Rushing/Passing yards by Armanti Edwards in his sophomore year
1,017/2,270 – Rushing/Passing yards by DeAndre Presley in his junior year (so far …)

2 – Individual 100-yard rushers allowed by Villanova in its last 28 games
2 – Number of those runners to come in last four Villanova games
6 – Occasions this season in which a Mountaineer ran for 100-plus, DeAndre Presley (3), Travaris Cadet (2) and Devon Moore (1). (Sounds like a challenge)

227 – Average rushing yards for App State this season
133 – Average rushing yards for App State in its final three regular season games
146 – Fewest rushing yards by App State in a win this season, against Chattanooga (The magic number?)

7 – Sacks against App State this season, second fewest in FCS
20 – Sacks against Villanova this season
27 – Sacks by App State defense this season (The bigger they are, the quicker you can run around them)

10 – Villanova deficit, 24-14, midway through the second quarter against Stephen F. Austin last week
40 – Unanswered points scored by Villanova the rest of the game
17 – Villanova points scored in final 2 minutes of first half (/long whistle)

5 – Interceptions throw by Villanova this season, in 289 attempts
7 – Interceptions throw by App State this season, in 302 attempts
10 – Total fumbles lost, each, by Villanova and App State (They both know how to take care of the ball)

5 – App State wins in its last seven games against CAA teams
4 – App State wins in its last five FCS quarterfinals
199 – Career wins at App State by Jerry Moore (No pressure)

3 – SoCon teams still alive in the FCS quarterfinals
9 – Years since that many league teams made it that far, Georgia Southern, Furman and App State in 2001
5 – Years since two SoCon teams made semifinals, Furman and App State in 2005 (And we all know how that run ended)

6 – Consecutive 10-win seasons for App State
4 – App State 10-win seasons prior to 2005
3 – D1 programs enjoying six straight 10-win seasons, App State, Ohio State and Virginia Tech (Nice company, huh?)

6,240 – Reported enrollment for Villanova
8,573 – Average home crowd for a Villanova football game in 2010
4,938 – Reported attendance at the Villanova-Stephen F. Austin game last weekend (Think small)

9,456 – Average attendance in the eight second round FCS playoff games
13,322 – Attendance at the Western Illinois at App State game
3,665 – Attendance at the SE Missouri St. at Eastern Washington game (Dread the red)

Edge316007
December 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Boone is an awesome experience. Went there for a playoff game in 2005 (daughter...Lafayette). They are serious about Christmas tree's and football. If UD ever matches up with App. State in football I would love to go back.

Villanova fans...go to this game. The tailgating at ASU and the atmosphere are worth the trip down. TV will not do it justice. My family had more fun in Boone than ANY other tailgate experience and that includes my 11 years at UD games in the Blue Lot.

There's got to be like 700 tree farms in this area.

NovaHater
December 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Getting ready to leave in a couple of hours, can't wait to experience the Rock. Going to the game with my "redneck" brother-in-law (he owns one of those 700 tree farms). I'm making him & his wife sit with us in the Nova section, he'll be the big goon with probably his stupiid Carolina Panther's jersey on. Hope to make some noise and meet some App St fans.
Can't wait to see Presley in action and hear your crowd. I won't wish App St good luck, for one I wouldn't mean it and two, you don't need it. ;)

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Saturday can't get here fast enough.
TRUE DAT!

They do have a darn good football team. So do we. Is it Saturday yet?
Almost!

Is it Saturday yet?
In 24 hours I'll be good and drunk!

xrotatehxxrotatehx

Go App!

GeeWiz
December 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Good luck to 'Nova and Delaware!

Show the rest of the country why the CAA is best league in the FCS!

Witsend
December 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Good luck to 'Nova and Delaware!

Show the rest of the country why the CAA is best league in the FCS!

I too cannot wait until Saturday. This is going to be a great game and it looks like the weather is going to work with us too. Temps in low 40's tomorrow. Don't know how much tailgating will be taking place. I really hate NOON games. But, as someone stated above, The tailgating at the ROCK has absolutey got to rated somewhere HIGH because those people know how to do it....great experience and everyone and I mean everyone is so nice. You will not go hungry, you will not go without a drink, if you want one, and the atmosphere is awesome.

See some of you at the game.....I still have two tickets on the 48 yard line, home side, if someone wants them.....