PDA

View Full Version : SoCon looking good today

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
The SoCon looks to go to 4-0 in the playoffs.
ASU - AS Expected
Woffy - Played their game and made it happen
GSU - Has completely controled W&M in every aspect of the game. If Jaybo doesn't toss that pick 6, it doesn't look this close.

number1debater
December 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I know! Bigsky fan here (Griz) and I hope the socon cleans up today!!!

AppChicago
December 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I've resisted posting this because I didn't want to jinx GSU, but it is looking like a good day for the conference.

Having said that, knock on some friggin wood.

walliver
December 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Maybe one day we can be as good as the CAA.xlolx

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm knockin.... I really hate to cheer for the neers, Woffy, and GSU, but I'm hoping it might quiet the "CAA is God's gift to the Football World" crowd!!! It might be a rough day for the CAA 2-2 is quite possible SFA is looking good early!!!

number1debater
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I think it's been a while since the socon was a better conference than big sky but not much of a question this year (I stand corrected from my pre-season thoughts).

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
A little SoCon Team that finished in a 3 way tie for 3rd takes down the CAA Champs..... I'm just sayin!!!!

AppMAN04
December 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
a SOCO shot for my Socon Comrades!! GLxthumbsupx

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
APPMAN...I grew up in the BORO....I'm a Blue Comet..Who are you?

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe one day we can be as good as the CAA.xlolx

lol. Maybe. Need a few more NC from other teams besides App St.

Nor Eastern
December 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think the SoCon has a few championship teams under their belt. GSU, Furman, AppSt.

I even think Western Carolina played in a national championship game back in the mid 80s.

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Comrades of the SoCon Unite!

We have a thread running on Mocfans today, pulling for our Southern brethren.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I think the SoCon has a few championship teams under their belt. GSU, Furman, AppSt.

I even think Western Carolina played in a national championship game back in the mid 80s.

Don't forget about Marshall too. They were SoCon back when they were thumping everybody....everybody but the Mocs that is (Marshall only has one win in Chatty).

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
lol. Maybe. Need a few more recent NC titles from other teams besides App St.

fixed it

appst97
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
lol. Maybe. Need a few more NC from other teams besides App St.

LOL I'm waiting for the CAA to be renamed (again) to the OHWC; One Hit Wonder Conference

Nor Eastern
December 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
So CAA teams can only achieve greatness one year and not multiple years in a row?

App St. 3 in a row
Ga So. 3 Back-to-Back wins
Marshall - played in 5 NC games in 6 years.

appst97
December 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
So CAA teams can only achieve greatness one year and not multiple years in a row?

App St. 3 in a row

They have no 'staying power'

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM
didn't Furman win 2 in a row?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Why was the SoCon fourth in the GPI again?

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM

App St. 3 in a row

You were talking about your conference and all its glory. How many titles has SoCon won in the last decade beside App St.?

4 different CAA National Champs in the last 7 playoffs.

Anyways. Congrats on SoCon 4-0! Good luck the rest of the playoffs.

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
FCS playoffs just got a whole lot tougher.......UNH/UDel.......Woff/GaS......ASU/sfa?......any team can win it. Go UNH!!

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Easy everyone... We don't want to act like Georgia Southern fans.xlolx

Besides: Wofford... YOU GOT SOME PAYBACK COMIN'!xflamemadx

But, for now: TAKE YOUR SNOBBY CAA "BETTER THAN YOU" CRAP AND ROLL ON!!!

(Hey, Georgia State... still thinking you picked the "dominant" conference?)

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
21 NC Appearances of 64 possible. 12 NCs of 32 Possible.... SoCon OWNS FCS/1AA....

dwtime
December 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
21 NC Appearances of 64 possible. 12 NCs of 32 Possible.... SoCon OWNS FCS/1AA....

Easy sparky, you're not in the 2011 NC game just yet.

gasoutherneagle
December 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Didn't I just say: "Easy everyone... We don't want to act like Georgia Southern fans." ??? xeyebrowx

(feels good, though, doesn't it)xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Looking a bit ahead here, but if Elon and Chatty find QBs then all of our schedules next year are going to be rough....

App. State is basically at the point that they can reload.
Wofford's nuclei on both sides of the ball for the most part will be intact.
And GSU returns everyone on the offensive two-deep and only loses two starters on defense.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
as far as Chatty's QB....BJ is just a JR...He and Bradford are back. Chatty needs to replace a few OL boys and a strong DB, but other then that We'll be strong!

Smitty
December 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Wait there were football games on today?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
as far as Chatty's QB....BJ is just a JR...He and Bradford are back. Chatty needs to replace a few OL boys and a strong DB, but other then that We'll be strong!

My bad. Thought Coleman was done after this year.

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Huesman's Son (Legit ACC QB prospect, GT, NCSU,Wake) is comming to understudy next year too!

PhoenixMan
December 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Huesman's Son (Legit ACC QB prospect, GT, NCSU,Wake) is comming to understudy next year too!

Way to go SoCon teams. It's great to see. So tired of hearing how the SoCon is App St. and everyone else sucks. Not the case. Elon has a good team returning, just won't need to throw the ball 45 times a game with Riddle gone. But, we have some good competition at QB. Love to see an all SoCon NC game this year.

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Looks like the SoCon is the only undefeated conference left in the playoffs (of course, that will change next weekend with WC/GSU)

SpeedkingATL
December 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
It appears that 5 of the 8 teams standing will be either SoCon or CAA. Nice to see the SoCon undefeated thru the first 2 rounds. Nice to see App get to play at The Rock>

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
http://davebraddy.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/socon.gif

paward
December 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Note to CAA: Do not feed into this _______?________

Note to SoCon: Keep piling onto this ______?_______

Note to other conferences: It is ole fashion, stink, rehashed, hatorade ________?_______

PS: _______?_________ = synonym for cow manure.

On a serious note congrats to GSU, nice win. You carry your banners well, and act as if you have been here before.

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM
SoCon fans in the know......what happened to Ga Southern in socon...they lost 3 games--why?

SouthernEagle02
December 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
SoCon fans in the know......what happened to Ga Southern in socon...they lost 3 games--why?
We got cocky.

CropDuster
December 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Very young team and some without Jaybo Shaw (true freshmen are 2nd and 3rd string), and most of our losses came near the beginning of the season. Our playbook is a lot more developed than it was when we lost those games.

ElonAlum
December 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hell yeah SOCON! Keep it rolling boys. The OG conference is back in action!

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Very young team and some without Jaybo Shaw (true freshmen are 2nd and 3rd string), and most of our losses came near the beginning of the season. Our playbook is a lot more developed than it was when we lost those games.

Actually six of those true freshmen are starters.

GunsAndGuitars
December 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM

I have to think that minus two teams, it shows how deep the SoCon really is. From top to mid level teams, it's really more of an anything goes conference. Yes, the three teams in the tournament were expected to be there, but it was close for a fourth team eligible as well. That's why Elon is at the middle of the pack this year when they were expected to be at the top (according to the flaming pigeon fans) and Wofford and GSU who haven't exactly been the top tier teams are at the top. Maybe that's too simple, but I think it's more reasonable than to think GSU was just cocky in SoCon play.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Didn't Wofford just eek out a 3 point win against an OVC team - a conference that has now gone 0-19 in their last 19 playoff games? Heck, that's starting to be SWAC-like in the playoffs it's that bad. I agree that GSU is looking good, and looks like they should even have some staying power and be back next year. So it'll be good that Appy St finally gets some company and that the SoCon has a chance, for the first time in almost a decade, to be 2/3 of the way back to having a dominant 3 teams like they did in the 90's. But Wofford isn't there yet and with the way GSU looks, Wofford may not be there this year either. Squeezing out victories over the OVC isn't the way to prove otherwise.

CropDuster
Actually six of those true freshmen are starters.

I was speaking of our QBs.

AppChicago
Wait there were football games on today?

Not for you, there weren't.

Perhaps this thread should be entitled "portions of the SoCon looking good today, which implies that other portions of the SoCon are stronger than might have been otherwise apparent, but some portions of the SoCon truly do suck something awful."

Or, you know, something like that, truncated for brevity's sake.

ThompsonThe
December 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Come on, really? When has GaSo fans NOT been cocky?

ThompsonThe
December 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
About time GaSo got their cocky ar$es going again though to help defend the SoCon's rep. Lazy slaggards, taking all that time off.

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
4-0 SoCon
3-1 CAA
3-2 MVC
1-1 Big Sky
1-1 PL
0-1 Big South
0-1 NEC
0-1 SLC
0-2 OVC
0-2 MEAC

Not many surprises.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Didn't Wofford just eek out a 3 point win against an OVC team - a conference that has now gone 0-19 in their last 19 playoff games? Heck, that's starting to be SWAC-like in the playoffs it's that bad. I agree that GSU is looking good, and looks like they should even have some staying power and be back next year. So it'll be good that Appy St finally gets some company and that the SoCon has a chance, for the first time in almost a decade, to be 2/3 of the way back to having a dominant 3 teams like they did in the 90's. But Wofford isn't there yet and with the way GSU looks, Wofford may not be there this year either. Squeezing out victories over the OVC isn't the way to prove otherwise.

I agree that Wofford's win doesn't look good on paper. But they are still the clear-cut second place team in the SoCon. And it's not like GSU and App. State ran every SoCon opponent off the field. Not even close. App. squeaked by Elon and Chatty, and GSU squeaked by Furman, lost at Chattanooga and at home to Wofford (won't mention the Samford loss to be generous since Jaybo Shaw was hurt).

Also, it's worth pointing out that the game was at Jax State. IIRC, the OVC hasn't hosted a playoff game since 1999. Don't the CAA folks say getting a lot of home games is a major reason the SoCon has been able to win so many playoff games?

GannonFan
December 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I agree that Wofford's win doesn't look good on paper. But they are still the clear-cut second place team in the SoCon. And it's not like GSU and App. State ran every SoCon opponent off the field. Not even close. App. squeaked by Elon and Chatty, and GSU squeaked by Furman, lost at Chattanooga and at home to Wofford (won't mention the Samford loss to be generous since Jaybo Shaw was hurt).

Also, it's worth pointing out that the game was at Jax State. IIRC, the OVC hasn't hosted a playoff game since 1999. Don't the CAA folks say getting a lot of home games is a major reason the SoCon has been able to win so many playoff games?

The MEAC has hosted plenty of playoff games too - home field by itself doesn't get you wins, you still have to be at least better than the MEAC and OVC. Granted, that doesn't put the bar that high, but it's a bar nonetheless. Of course, the deeper you go in the playoffs, home field matters little.

paward
December 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
4-0 SoCon
3-1 CAA
3-2 MVC
1-1 Big Sky
1-1 PL
0-1 Big South
0-1 NEC
0-1 SLC
0-2 OVC
0-2 MEAC

Not many surprises.

Maybe I am dumb, but who are the four Socon, I thought it was three.

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM

GSU played last week too.

Nebuta
December 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Ga Southern didnt get a bye.

proasu89
December 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM

GSU is 2-0 this post season.

JaxSinfonian
December 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
IIRC, the OVC hasn't hosted a playoff game since 1999.

You do not remember correctly.

Didn't Wofford just eek out a 3 point win against an OVC team - a conference that has now gone 0-19 in their last 19 playoff games? Heck, that's starting to be SWAC-like in the playoffs it's that bad.

Since the SWAC doesn't even send teams to the playoffs, I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I don't know what the OVC's playoff teams from a decade ago or even a year ago have to do with the effort the Gamecocks put out on the field today. They played well against a strong team and just didn't get it done in the end. A lot of JSU's talent is coming back next year, so perhaps they'll get another crack at this soon. If the Hens are lucky enough to make the playoffs next year, perhaps they'll get to come to Jacksonville and see what the Gamecocks are made of.

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
4-0 SoCon
3-1 CAA
3-2 MVC
1-1 Big Sky

1-1 PL
0-1 Big South
0-1 NEC
0-1 SLC
0-2 OVC
0-2 MEAC

Not many surprises.

Basically, the top 4 on this list are the defacto BCS of the FCS (the last time a championship wasn't won by a member of those 4 conferences was 1987...NE Louisiana, now UL-Monroe, was a member of the Southland).