PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb's next Head Coach

elcid83
December 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure who our university wants to hire to replace Coach Patton. I believe the general consensus is that we hit a home run with the recent basketball coach so that is very encouraging. There are many different approaches to guide the AD to our next Head Coach. There are former BCS coaches that can still coach and hot assistants looking to move up [ie. Eric Wolford - former Carolina OL coach now Youngstown State HC]. For what we will pay, I don't think we get what I consider a top notch FCS coach. It's difficult to predict that an up and coming DII guy will work at the FCS level, but should be looked at. My choice would be required to define his personal football calendar and then describe how he would improve on GW's current calendar. I would expect a good coach's personal calendar to be different from mine, but it would be something like this:

The Recruiting Season
The Non-conference football season
The Conference football season
The Conditioning Season
The Summer Workout Season

I want to know how the candidate approaches each of these seasons [and I recognize there is overlap]. I also want to know about the candidate's willingness [and proven success] with fundraising for his program. I have not witnessed GWU getting terribly excited about fundraising for our football program. Other Big South programs spend significantly more on football than we do and it is painfully obvious. This gap will only continue to widen and we will get further and further behind.

I will also want to hear about the candidate's approach to creating an interesting game day atmosphere. I understand that the coach needs to focus on just getting the team ready for game day. I also understand that our game day atmosphere stinks. For some unknown reason, GW wastes a lot of time and effort to put monster speakers all around the field and then we don't bother to use the speakers for any productive reason during a game. Every team I have watched plays some kind of motivational music during kickoffs and at other points during the game. GW has the music because I have heard them play it during pre-game warmups. We have one of the worst home game day atmospheres of any team in the Big South [Charleston Southern's may be worse]. My ideal candidate would have some very clear ideas about what our game day atmosphere should look like.

All of that being said, I don't care where our next coach comes from so long as he has a clear grasp on his big picture.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

straightshooter
December 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'd be all over former Furman coach Bobby Lamb if I were GW. We Eagles love to hate him, but the guy knows his X's and O's, he graduates his players, he knows the area and the conference and he's a good recruiter. Don't know what you pay and I don't know what Bobby made at Furman, but he'd be a good catch.

insideout08
December 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'd be all over former Furman coach Bobby Lamb if I were GW. We Eagles love to hate him, but the guy knows his X's and O's, he graduates his players, he knows the area and the conference and he's a good recruiter. Don't know what you pay and I don't know what Bobby made at Furman, but he'd be a good catch.

My thoughts exactly. Boiling Springs is even close enough to Greenville that he could probably keep his son at the same high school for the next two years until he graduates. Bobby would do a great job at GW. If they hire him, I'd pull for GW just like I pulled for Vandy over the past eight years (minus when they play Furman, of course).

Sly Fox
December 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
As a Liberty alum, I am curious to see if Chuck continues to tap into his old staff at LU for this hire. One of our posters at FlameFans has already joked that he expects to see Morgan Hout hired.

elcid83
December 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Unless the former LU coach has any significant playoff experience, I personally would not be interested in them.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SEWIGUY
January 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Lance Leipold, the head coach at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater will be interviewing for the job on Friday. UWW has won the D3 championship three times in the last four years.

elcid83
January 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Looks like the dude can coach. I wonder if we will give him a chance to prove himself at the Div I-AA level.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SEWIGUY
January 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM
More background...he is the former offensive coordinator at D2 school Nebraska Omaha and worked on the staffs at Nebraska under Frank Solich and Wisconsin under Barry Alvarez.

snakeeyes
January 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Saw on the other board the Coach Pizzo had been interviewed.