PDA

View Full Version : Sun Belt Instead of WAC

Sec310
November 29th, 2010, 02:01 AM
A few years ago, Utah St. agreed to join the Sun Belt. But the changing landscape of college conferences allowed Utah St. to join the WAC.

I think the samething will happen to both Tx St. and UTSA with the WAC. I don't think they will ever play any games in the WAC and will instead join the Sun Belt.

With those two schools, the Sun Belt will become a 12 team football conference. I can even see a 14 team football conference, with the additions of New Mexico St. and La. Tech. Yes, I know that La. Tech think they are too good for the Sun Belt, but sometimes schools are forced to do things because of circumstances.

This is just a hunch, no inside info or anything like that.

Tim James
November 29th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I always thought Utah was too small of a state to have 3 FBS schools. Utah St will never make any headway in state with BYU and Utah there. It's sad if they really wanna have all their minor sports teams playing in "the south" because there's basically no where else to go. Dropping down a level or two seems more sensible to me.

TexasTerror
November 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The Sun Belt does not want to take FCS schools...

If they take anyone affiliated with the WAC now it will be former members New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. The league is trying to enhance, not survive. They are in the completely opposite direction from the WAC, who is in all-out survival mode and will take the ugliest girl in the room if they have to.

NMSU and La Tech bring a lot more to the league than any FCS upstarts...

08LionBacker
November 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I still think UTSA and Texas St would bring more to the Sunbelt. It would give North Texas some sorta rivalry games within the state and provide 2 divisions and a championship game. UTSA brings just as much or more to the table than NMSU does even being an upstart program. Would the Sunbelt really let La Tech in now?

GeauxLions94
November 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I still think UTSA and Texas St would bring more to the Sunbelt. It would give North Texas some sorta rivalry games within the state and provide 2 divisions and a championship game. UTSA brings just as much or more to the table than NMSU does even being an upstart program. Would the Sunbelt really let La Tech in now?

In a New York second (Tech would bolster league in football, men's and women's hoops - even though Lady Techsters have fallen off the national cliff and will never get back to where they once were) ... of course it takes two to tango and Tech desperately wants to get in Conference USA. Just don't know if the feeling is mutual.

Sec310
November 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
With TCU going to the Big East, and the Big East wanting 10 football schools, TCU makes 9, Central Florida has been mentioned. If CUSA loses UCF, La. Tech or Florida International or Florida Atlantic could be on CUSA's radar.

But I think the Sun Belt will look at getting into the San Antonio market. UTSA & Tx St. have to realize being the Sun Belt is much less expensive & better than being in a watered down WAC.

TexasTerror
November 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
With TCU going to the Big East, and the Big East wanting 10 football schools, TCU makes 9, Central Florida has been mentioned. If CUSA loses UCF, La. Tech or Florida International or Florida Atlantic could be on CUSA's radar.

North Texas would seem to be higher up on the radar... and have you been to FAU or FIU for anything? Facilities are awful! North Texas - especially with new football digs - has nicer facilities than FAU, FIU... I could see C-USA adding a South Alabama (reminds me of Southern Miss - great facilities, fan base, etc).

But I think the Sun Belt will look at getting into the San Antonio market. UTSA & Tx St. have to realize being the Sun Belt is much less expensive & better than being in a watered down WAC.

If SBC does go after San Antonio market - could see them grabbing UTSA and not TXST. Would be interesting...

Dane96
November 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Terror...what are you talking about. FAU broke ground on a new stadium. FIU, except for the one side that will be built out next year, is a replica of UCF (for the bottom bowl...expandable on the top).

http://www.fau.edu/stadium/index.html

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_XuilMk6qEAc/SNXV9jrp-rI/AAAAAAAAACc/uoK_6O_xflY/DSC00023.JPG

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fiusports.com/pics31/0/ZQ/ZQZMXGWLTHUOZTI.20100916191647.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fiusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml%3FDB_OEM_ID%3D11700%26ATCLID%3D15 54927&usg=__ZdR_iM-lutLifXguIXkS8ZgaVrE=&h=500&w=700&sz=86&hl=en&start=99&zoom=1&tbnid=d8mitmAQV6XjyM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=154&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfiu%2Bstadium%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26biw%3D1073%26bih%3D525%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C2597&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=270&vpy=212&dur=2281&hovh=190&hovw=266&tx=135&ty=95&ei=KxP0TJTtEYH68Aa3xtSMDA&oei=1hL0TMSuMYynnAfiz7j7CQ&esq=7&page=7&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:99&biw=1073&bih=525

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2735549539_f6e076c9d1_o.jpg

I Bleed Purple
November 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I always thought Utah was too small of a state to have 3 FBS schools. Utah St will never make any headway in state with BYU and Utah there. It's sad if they really wanna have all their minor sports teams playing in "the south" because there's basically no where else to go. Dropping down a level or two seems more sensible to me.

USU is far enough away from the 1.5 million people metro that BYU and Utah reside in to succeed in basketball (which they do). Never had a history for football anyway. They're a good candidate to replace TCU because they have a good major program to offer (basketball).

Big Al
November 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Never had a history for football anyway.

I think you're selling Merlin Olsen short.

;);)

lionsrking2
November 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
In a New York second (Tech would bolster league in football, men's and women's hoops - even though Lady Techsters have fallen off the national cliff and will never get back to where they once were) ... of course it takes two to tango and Tech desperately wants to get in Conference USA. Just don't know if the feeling is mutual.

I agree Tech is better suited for the Sun Belt and a good fit for the league geographically, but I think once they become unattached with Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, Hawaii, etc., they'll settle into ULL, ULM territory as far as quality and perception of their program, and I really don't see them bolstering the league much other than geography...that's why they don't want to move to the Belt in the first place.

Sec310
December 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM

What was Western Kentucky? A FCS school. Yes, they were already members of the Sun Belt in other sports and played FCS football. But they Sun Belt said yes to a FCS school moving up.

It would be the same for South Alabama; who will move up from FCS to FBS.

So, UTSA and Tx. St. could go to the Sun Belt.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
What was Western Kentucky? A FCS school. Yes, they were already members of the Sun Belt in other sports and played FCS football. But they Sun Belt said yes to a FCS school moving up.

These situations could not be more different. WKU was a member of the Sun Belt in all other sports, but played in the Missouri Valley Conference (nee Gateway) by a special arrangement. Once the Sun Belt put pressure on the Hilltoppers to move their football program to FBS, they didn't have much choice.

Southern Alabama is also an existing Sun Belt member. Once they decided to start a program, it was natural that they go to their home on all other sports, since the league was (and still is) desperate for teams.

UTSA and Texas State are leaving their historical conference, the Southland, and looking for a brand-new home in another conference in all sports. It's more than just football, which drove the other two decisions.

TheRevSFA
December 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Let's be honest, Texas State is a great addition for baseball. Basketball can't cut it (See Our Lady of the Lake) and football is very hit or miss.

I'm willing to bet they never play a FBS game..and that the WAC folds and they stay in the Southland after all.

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Some of what happens in the Sun Belt will be dictated by what happens on the coasts.

If the Big East or Big East football conference (if that splits away) takes CUSA schools, that leaves spots open in CUSA. Not sure La Tech (or Monroe or Lafayette) can get in there with Tulane already in. NM St is very close in proximity to UTEP, but again not sure if that helps or hurts or if CUSA would be interested in NMSU as a replacement.

Then obviously if the WAC dies, UTSA and TSU will have to find another place to play or go crawling back to the Southland for now.

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM

That's the difference... WKU is known for its other sports. Can not say the same about TXST (outside of perhaps baseball, but that is no where near MBB or WBB).

Again... a league member. Very different.

They are not already members... poor example. Read LFN's post!

49RFootballNow
December 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I'm still waiting for the WAC to fold. When is this supposed to happen?

cpalum
December 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'm still waiting for the WAC to fold? When is this supposed to happen?

I guess it depends what you mean by fold. I could easily argue that they are in fact folding right now.

I am not certain the WAC will ever fold to the extant that a conference by that name no longer exists but I'd bet that of the teams that played in the WAC this year....it would not surprise me to see only two or so playing in a conference by that name in 2015.xcoffeex

jmufan
December 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
As stated by someone else, maybe the WAC should invite teams in the east like App ST, JMU, UD, etc... and change their name to something other than the WAC, by becoming an eastern based league.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
As stated by someone else, maybe the WAC should invite teams in the east like App ST, JMU, UD, etc... and change their name to something other than the WAC, by becoming an eastern based league.

No, it still should be called the WAC in that case. Namely, We'll ACcept your bid to play in our conference!

Za-KEE-uS
December 3rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
http://www.thundertreats.com/images/stories/c-usa-map.gif

Why not add LaTech. They fit nicely in that C-USA circle. :D

Mr. C
December 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM

If they take anyone affiliated with the WAC now it will be former members New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. The league is trying to enhance, not survive. They are in the completely opposite direction from the WAC, who is in all-out survival mode and will take the ugliest girl in the room if they have to.

NMSU and La Tech bring a lot more to the league than any FCS upstarts...
There are SEVERAL FCS teams that the Sun Belt would take in a heartbeat, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, JMU etc., but those teams have ZERO interest in the Sun Belt, because it is viewed as such a poor conference. Now Conference USA is another thing altogether.

And we all agree that the WAC would hit on just about ANY school right now. The ugliest girl in the room, indeed.

Mr. C
December 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
These situations could not be more different. WKU was a member of the Sun Belt in all other sports, but played in the Missouri Valley Conference (nee Gateway) by a special arrangement. Once the Sun Belt put pressure on the Hilltoppers to move their football program to FBS, they didn't have much choice.

Southern Alabama is also an existing Sun Belt member. Once they decided to start a program, it was natural that they go to their home on all other sports, since the league was (and still is) desperate for teams.

UTSA and Texas State are leaving their historical conference, the Southland, and looking for a brand-new home in another conference in all sports. It's more than just football, which drove the other two decisions.

Western Kentucky had plenty of choice, but chose to make a basketball-related move by making its football program FBS (are you listening, Villanova — WKU football could be VU football in the future). The Hilltoppers were actually hoping a door would open for the Mid-American Conference to enhance basketball at that time.

Mr. C
December 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM
USU is far enough away from the 1.5 million people metro that BYU and Utah reside in to succeed in basketball (which they do). Never had a history for football anyway. They're a good candidate to replace TCU because they have a good major program to offer (basketball).

Never a history for football at Utah State? I guess you haven't paid attention. I used to cover the Big West Conference (was the PCAA before the name change) when Utah State came into the league. The Aggies were strong enough their first year in the league to win a championship and had FOUR NFL players on their first team, including their first and second string QBs (Eric Hipple and Terry Bradshaw's younger brother Craig). They also had RB Rick Parros and the best of the bunch was DE Rulon Jones. Utah State had plenty of success in earlier decades when guys like Merlon and Phil Olsen came through Logan, Utah.

Utah State's struggles in recent years relate more to funding and institutional support than anything else.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Western Kentucky had plenty of choice, but chose to make a basketball-related move by making its football program FBS (are you listening, Villanova — WKU football could be VU football in the future). The Hilltoppers were actually hoping a door would open for the Mid-American Conference to enhance basketball at that time.

The Sun Belt has historically been a much better basketball league than the MAC, but that changed when football came onboard. Seems the league is working back towards putting some more emphasis into the hardwood. The Sun Belt is also a MUCH better league for women's hoops and baseball - two sports that WKU has excelled in historically.

There are SEVERAL FCS teams that the Sun Belt would take in a heartbeat, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, JMU etc., but those teams have ZERO interest in the Sun Belt, because it is viewed as such a poor conference. Now Conference USA is another thing altogether.

Word is that SHSU would only go FBS if C-USA or Sun Belt were involved - though obviously the school has finances to get in order. Prefer C-USA, but could go SBC. No interest in the WAC what so ever. Too costly and unstable.

Sycamore51
December 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Both the Sun Belt and the Mac are bad basketball leagues. They each may have one or two decent teams a year, but as a league they are both terrible.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
The Sun Belt has historically been a much better basketball league than the MAC

Back when UNC Charlotte, Old Dominion, VCU, South Florida, Jacksonville, and UAB were in the SunBelt, it was a near-major basketball conference. Both UNC Charlotte and Jacksonville went to the Final Four out of the Sun Belt I believe.

GeauxLions94
December 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.thundertreats.com/images/stories/c-usa-map.gif

Why not add LaTech. They fit nicely in that C-USA circle. :D

Tech would fit in nicely in C-USA, but I'd take Louisiana-Lafayette over them ... to make CUSA a more compact league, UTEP could go to the Mountain West and Marshall could go MAC ... that leaves East Carolina (Big East/ACC) and UCF (Big East/ACC/SEC) out there on the fringe ... UCF is second largest school (56,000) in the country behind Arizona State and will be a major player in Florida in the next decade.

Would believe ECU and UCF would jump at any chance at getting out of C-USA which could also open door for UTSA, Georgia State, South Alabama and possibly Texas State

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Tech would fit in nicely in C-USA, but I'd take Louisiana-Lafayette over them

La Tech has more money and fans than La-Lafayette...

Would believe ECU and UCF would jump at any chance at getting out of C-USA which could also open door for UTSA, Georgia State, South Alabama and possibly Texas State

Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky are a better pair for C-USA than any other pairing the league can get - UTSA, TXST included...

Figure South Alabama and North Texas are also in the top four with WKU, MT. If Georgia State puts together some more money and continues heading in the right direction - they'll be a shoo-in for Sun Belt at some point.

BearsCountry
December 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Both the Sun Belt and the Mac are bad basketball leagues. They each may have one or two decent teams a year, but as a league they are both terrible.

Compared to the Valley, yes, but to most of the conferences that are on this board no they are not.

Sec310
December 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM

If you're UTSA and Tx St. you are looking at the WAC and you have to be concerned. If the WAC loses another two schools, going to the WAC is a stupid decision. You would worry if the WAC would still exist. If the Presidents of both schools, aren't talking to the Sun Belt, they are stupid.

The Sun Belt would be stupid to turn down a chance to get into the SA market.

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If you're UTSA and Tx St. you are looking at the WAC and you have to be concerned. If the WAC loses another two schools, going to the WAC is a stupid decision. You would worry if the WAC would still exist. If the Presidents of both schools, aren't talking to the Sun Belt, they are stupid.

The Sun Belt is not interested in either from what I've gathered over the last few years. Unless something has changed or realignment hits the Sun Belt, both schools are in no proper position to get into the SBC in the next few years. Both schools have communicated with the Sun Belt.

The funny thing is a good portion of the online TXST fans represented on BFs.com seem to believe they are better than anything in the Sun Belt and can not seem to come to the realization why NT would feel the desire to leave the SBC for the WAC.

The Sun Belt would be stupid to turn down a chance to get into the SA market.

The Sun Belt is in "enhancement mode" not survival mode. Figure the SBC would want to see how UTSA develops over the next few years, just like they would have an interest in how Georgia State develops. UTSA being successful is not a sure bet and playing games infront of 15k in the Alamodome is sure as heck, not attractive for the SBC.

Sec310
December 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Will there even be a WAC in 2012?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50808891-77/conference-hawaii-football-west.html.csp

If Hawaii does get a MWC invitation, that will leave

Idaho
San Jose St.
New Mexico St.
Utah St.
La. Tech

UTSA
Tx. St.

Then the question becomes how big does the MWC get? Does it go to 12 teams? Do they take 2 WAC teams or 1 WAC and UTEP? Will the WAC still be around?

Sec310
December 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
The Sun Belt is not interested in either from what I've gathered over the last few years. Unless something has changed or realignment hits the Sun Belt, both schools are in no proper position to get into the SBC in the next few years. Both schools have communicated with the Sun Belt.

The funny thing is a good portion of the online TXST fans represented on BFs.com seem to believe they are better than anything in the Sun Belt and can not seem to come to the realization why NT would feel the desire to leave the SBC for the WAC.

The Sun Belt is in "enhancement mode" not survival mode. Figure the SBC would want to see how UTSA develops over the next few years, just like they would have an interest in how Georgia State develops. UTSA being successful is not a sure bet and playing games infront of 15k in the Alamodome is sure as heck, not attractive for the SBC.

The Big Sky wasn't interested in football only members, the past few years. Times and things change, and as we have seen things can change in a week.

I'm betting that both UTSA and Tx. St., never play in the WAC, or if they do, it will only be for a year or two, until they move to the Sun Belt.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If the WAC loses USU the conference will fall apart and die. I think the MWC will take the WAC out of its misery and go to 12.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
How long before Idaho and San Jose State come looking for an invite to the Big Sky?

Sec310
December 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
How long before Idaho and San Jose State come looking for an invite to the Big Sky?

If the Big Sky can somehow get rid of North Dakota, adding both schools would be ideal. 14 team football and 12 team all sports.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
If the Big Sky can somehow get rid of North Dakota, adding both schools would be ideal. 14 team football and 12 team all sports.

The only way the Big Sky can get rid of North Dakota is by letting it be a football only affiliate so their other sports could join the Summit.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I'm betting that both UTSA and Tx. St., never play in the WAC, or if they do, it will only be for a year or two, until they move to the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt's battle for perception continues... and barring them losing members to other conferences, they will hold steadfast to protecting their advances in trying to gain some perception gain.

Sec310
December 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Today, Hawaii will announce they will go MWC in football only and BW for all other sports.

As of right now, this is what the 2012 WAC will look like:

SJSU
Idaho
Utah St.
New Mexico St.
La. Tech

UTSA
Tx. St.

Denver-no football.

Think all those schools are sitting tight and confident the WAC will be around in 2012? Or are they working the phones to get into different conferences?

Nor Eastern
December 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
La. Tech might have to bite the bullet and give the Sun Belt a call.

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Think all those schools are sitting tight and confident the WAC will be around in 2012? Or are they working the phones to get into different conferences?

With Hawaii being a FB-only member, wonder if the MWC would take a stab at Denver to full its remaining sports (namely VB and hoops). I like Denver a lot - great people.

Utah State could get still go to the MWC - would not surprise me.

The schools really hurting from this are UTSA, TXST who may have to file waivers to make the move to FBS since their conference does not have enough members to receive 'recognition' from the NCAA as a FBS conference as it stands now - pending current legislation, of course. Don't you need eight?

nwFL Griz
December 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
With Hawaii being a FB-only member, wonder if the MWC would take a stab at Denver to full its remaining sports (namely VB and hoops). I like Denver a lot - great people.

Utah State could get still go to the MWC - would not surprise me.

The schools really hurting from this are UTSA, TXST who may have to file waivers to make the move to FBS since their conference does not have enough members to receive 'recognition' from the NCAA as a FBS conference as it stands now - pending current legislation, of course. Don't you need eight?

Yes 8 is the minimum. And it would surprise me very much to see USU receive an invite to the MWC now.

Would this config fit the 5/6/7 rule for auto bids? I don't remember all the wording...too lazy to look it up right now.