PDA

View Full Version : The Towson Question - Why are they bad?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I've been thinking about Towson recently, and a post in another thread prompted me to put forth the question - why do they struggle as much as they do?

Yes, they play in the most competitive FCS conference in the nation, and yes, they have had some limited success (which, in all fairness, included a couple recent history wins vs. Delaware during a couple awful seasons for us). However, over the past ten years, they have only been 50/50 for winning seasons, and haven't ever made the playoffs (a dubious distinction they can only share with Rhody, even Hofstra and Neastern had playoff berths before quitting).

So why isn't Towson better? They school has some money, is located in a Maryland which seems to like football, but isn't overcrowded with DI teams, and obviously wants to compete. What will it take to make Towson a top tier CAA program instead of a bye week that comes with a notch in the W column?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Is Towson good in anything when it comes to athletics? From an outsiders perspective it seems like more of an administrative problem.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 24th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Is Towson good in anything when it comes to athletics? From an outsiders perspective it seems like more of an administrative problem.

They haven't been any good in men's basketball (although UD doesn't have much room to talk there), and they have had limited success in women's basketball. I don't follow lacrosse, but apparently they have had some success there.

jmufan999
November 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM
usually, coaching/recruiting are to blame. sounds simple, but it kind of is. get better players and you get more wins. the way to get better players is to hire better coaches/recruiters. they're consistently bad in a way that's Detroit Lions-esque. as soon as i type that, they'll win tomorrow (today, depending on where you live) by 45 with my luck. ha.

jmufan999
November 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM
you know what i just remembered, though? their only win was to Coastal... which is now a playoff team.

tell me that doesn't make you think. and tell me JMU is not among the 20 best teams in the country. i know, i know... conference record. but come on, this is silly.

our conference bottom-dwellar beat the Big South champ to win their ONLY game this year. that's ridiculous, sorry.

superman7515
November 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
They're enrollment is basically neck and neck with Delaware in terms of overall size. Their football and basketball facilities aren't the largest but they're not the smallest either, kind of right in the middle. They aren't bottom feeders in attendance. SO here's a question... Where are the Tigers fans on here? Never seen one. Maybe it's a general lack of interest/support. Not that membership on a message board can be an indicator or fan enthusiasm, but you'd think someone would show up even by accident, haha. They don't look like they really recruit well or are that attractive for transfers, arguably their most famous football player was former Pro Bowl punter Sean Landeta (Yes, it's Johnny Unitas Stadium, but he never played for Towson; he just happened to die while trying to help Towson find a sponsor). Tough to hang your hat on a punter for new recruits and I'm guessing that not a lot of punter money makes its way back to the school. Coaching, recruiting, and lack of star power could be pieces of the puzzle.

Catsfan2
November 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM
As a Maryland resident, it seems to me that Towson is everyone's 2nd or 3rd choice school to attend, and I think that goes for the athletes as well. A scholarship level FCS player with good academics would likely choose another CAA school.

Oldhen
November 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM
They don't look like they really recruit well or are that attractive for transfers, arguably their most famous football player was former Pro Bowl punter Sean Landeta

Don't forget Dave Meggett.

This team had great success and tradition at DII, but never seemed to get it going at 1AA. They've always had some blue-chip kids, too, but I think they're hard pressed to recruit successfully away from home compared to more recognizable CAA programs like UD, JMU, Nova, and UMass. I think their best bet is to make a commitment to upgrade their football program's leadership like they appear to be doing with facilities... and break out the checkbook to hire a proven head coach away from a successful program and let him put together an organization to out-recruit and eventually out-play more CAA competitors.

Brad82
November 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Towson missed a window when Schaefer was QB a few years ago.
Maybe join another conference?

blukeys
November 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
you know what i just remembered, though? their only win was to Coastal... which is now a playoff team.

tell me that doesn't make you think. and tell me JMU is not among the 20 best teams in the country. i know, i know... conference record. but come on, this is silly.

our conference bottom-dwellar beat the Big South champ to win their ONLY game this year. that's ridiculous, sorry.

I think that says it all. Towson in the Big South might be getting ready to play WIU.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Towson has very good lacrosse. As for football, all problems can be blamed on once having been part of the Patriot League. Fordham and Holy Cross fans will confirm that PL stigmata last several generations and erase indelibly all notions of former greatness.

It's what we do best.

Wildcat80
November 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Any Towson posters on here???????? the silence is deafening.

etiger
November 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am a Towson Supporter. Towson will turn it around very shortly. We have hired a new, young and agressive AD with Football exprience. He comes from the University of Cincinnati (Big east). The problem we have had is that the previous AD's did not know how to run a big athletic department, especially a football program. The previous AD's came from schools that did not evenhave a football program. The administration at Towson never really understood what it takes to win. Now the light has turned on. Things in the Athletic department are changing. Give us a few years and Towson will be at the top of the conference in all sports. The commitment to Athletic from the President is strong and and the funding is in place to make things better. The whole atmosphere at TU is changing.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I am a Towson Supporter. Towson will turn it around very shortly. We have hired a new, young and agressive AD with Football exprience. He comes from the University of Cincinnati (Big east). The problem we have had is that the previous AD's did not know how to run a big athletic department, especially a football program. The previous AD's came from schools that did not evenhave a football program. The administration at Towson never really understood what it takes to win. Now the light has turned on. Things in the Athletic department are changing. Give us a few years and Towson will be at the top of the conference in all sports. The commitment to Athletic from the President is strong and and the funding is in place to make things better. The whole atmosphere at TU is changing.

If that happens, I look forward to it. With the changing face of the CAA and the potential loss of 'Nova to the Big East, it would be great for Delaware to have a strong local rival. If Towson can lift themselves up perhaps the Battle of the Blue will be replaced with the Battle of the Bay.

Jackman
November 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
However, over the past ten years, they have only been 50/50 for winning seasons, and haven't ever made the playoffs (a dubious distinction they can only share with Rhody, even Hofstra and Neastern had playoff berths before quitting).

Rhody has had 3 playoff appearances: 1981, 1984 and 1985. They made it to the semi-finals in 1984, losing to eventual champion Montana State.

The current and former CAA/A10/Yankee conference members with the fewest playoff appearances are Towson with 0, Northeastern with 1, and UConn with 1. Everyone always forgets about UConn.

jmufan
November 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM
With their new AD, I see them getting a lot better in football. I would look for them to start being competitive in the next two years.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Rhody has had 3 playoff appearances: 1981, 1984 and 1985. They made it to the semi-finals in 1984, losing to eventual champion Montana State.

The current and former CAA/A10/Yankee conference members with the fewest playoff appearances are Towson with 0, Northeastern with 1, and UConn with 1. Everyone always forgets about UConn.

I phrased my statement poorly, I meant no playoff appearances over the past ten years.

henfan
November 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Towson is a sleeping FCS FB giant. As a UD FB fan, I couldn't be happier that this giant remains at rest.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Towson is a sleeping FCS FB giant. As a UD FB fan, I couldn't be happier that this giant remains at rest.

That's what the Georgetown fans hear, too. Doesn't help.

LouiseBFree
November 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Someone in every league has to lose. Appears they are playing their role well.

I've been thinking about Towson recently, and a post in another thread prompted me to put forth the question - why do they struggle as much as they do?

Yes, they play in the most competitive FCS conference in the nation, and yes, they have had some limited success (which, in all fairness, included a couple recent history wins vs. Delaware during a couple awful seasons for us). However, over the past ten years, they have only been 50/50 for winning seasons, and haven't ever made the playoffs (a dubious distinction they can only share with Rhody, even Hofstra and Neastern had playoff berths before quitting).

So why isn't Towson better? They school has some money, is located in a Maryland which seems to like football, but isn't overcrowded with DI teams, and obviously wants to compete. What will it take to make Towson a top tier CAA program instead of a bye week that comes with a notch in the W column?

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
With their new AD, I see them getting a lot better in football. I would look for them to start being competitive in the next two years.

Will take better coaching too...

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
because they play to many CAA games, they would be at least respectable in a many of fcs conferences

UMass922
November 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Any Towson posters on here???????? the silence is deafening.

Whatever happened to Andy? He was a pretty prominent Towson supporter on here. Does he post at the other place now?

BigApp
November 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I am a Towson Supporter. Towson will turn it around very shortly. We have hired a new, young and agressive AD with Football exprience. He comes from the University of Cincinnati (Big east).

Hmmmmmm.......did you hire Mike Waddell?? He's an old friend o'mine from when he was Asst AD at Appalachian, left us for Army then Cincy. Same guy? If so, you got a winner...

superman7515
November 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hmmmmmm.......did you hire Mike Waddell?? He's an old friend o'mine from when he was Asst AD at Appalachian, left us for Army then Cincy. Same guy? If so, you got a winner...

Yep. Here's the article... Towson University names Waddell as athletics director (http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2010/09/27/daily32.html)

BigApp
November 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx