PDA

View Full Version : Chris Evans IS a finalist...in spite of the Samford haters(SoCon & CAA take notes!)

blazrdog#1
November 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112210aae.html

BlueHenSinfonian
November 23rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Samford had three Div I wins, I don't think there are as many Samford haters as there are Samford?-who-gives-a-darn-ers. Congrats to Chris Evans though.

WoCoTerrier
November 23rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I don't hate Samford or Evans, but I just don't see how Evans can be a finalist when Eric Breitenstein is not. Not saying that Evans shouldn't be a finalist, just that EB should. He was clearly the best RB in the SoCon this year.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
I don't hate Samford or Evans, but I just don't see how Evans can be a finalist when Eric Breitenstein is not. Not saying that Evans shouldn't be a finalist, just that EB should. He was clearly the best RB in the SoCon this year.

Agreed!!!

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Breitenstein is way better than Evans this year (key word: IS, our season is still on)

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Breitenstein is way better than Evans this year (key word: IS, our season is still on)

Ouch!

phoenixphanatic21
November 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Agreed. Congrats to Evans, but Breitenstein had a much better season than Evans did. He did do it with less talent around him, but still.

jmufan999
November 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Samford had three Div I wins, I don't think there are as many Samford haters as there are Samford?-who-gives-a-darn-ers. Congrats to Chris Evans though.

this. i don't recall many CAA posters who are super eager to talk about Samford. pretty indifferent, actually.

ASUTodd
November 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM

What are we taking notes on? How to ALMOST finish last in the SoCon? Be thankful for WCU and The Citadel this year... I have a feeling that next year they won't finish below Samford....

Gamecocks99
November 24th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Chris Evans grew up and played high school ball at Alexandria High School Known for winning State Championships. My wife teaches in Alexandria and Alexandria is the arch rival of the high school I went to and my children now go to as well. Alexandria High School is 8 miles from Jacksonville State University. We lost a very fine running back and student ( a first class young man all the way around ) to UAB and then he followed his coach to Samford. Wow if the Gamecocks had him the last 4 years plus all the other talent we've had! But such is life. Chris Evans will go far in what ever he chooses to do in life.

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Chris Evans grew up and played high school ball at Alexandria High School Known for winning State Championships. My wife teaches in Alexandria and Alexandria is the arch rival of the high school I went to and my children now go to as well. Alexandria High School is 8 miles from Jacksonville State University. We lost a very fine running back and student ( a first class young man all the way around ) to UAB and then he followed his coach to Samford. Wow if the Gamecocks had him the last 4 years plus all the other talent we've had! But such is life. Chris Evans will go far in what ever he chooses to do in life.

Glad to hear he is a quality yourng man. Funny thing is Breitenstien went to HS in Boone and App didn't even attempt to recruit him. I know App is doing fine w/o him, but I'm sure he would be a nice addition to their team....also a quality young man!

biggie
November 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Glad to hear he is a quality yourng man. Funny thing is Breitenstien went to HS in Boone and App didn't even attempt to recruit him. I know App is doing fine w/o him, but I'm sure he would be a nice addition to their team....also a quality young man!
Info isn't quite correct, he would have been recruited, but commited to Woff before even meeting with App. Though his style wouldn't quite be the same as our 'normal' RBs.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Info isn't quite correct, he would have been recruited, but commited to Woff before even meeting with App. Though his style wouldn't quite be the same as our 'normal' RBs.

Jerry Moore decided not to try to recruit him after Wofford offered out of respect for MA I think.

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the insight. I knew he wasn't on their radar, but didn't know why. Still leads me to wonder if there is any "bad blood" b/t Watauga HS and App? any insight there?

biggie
November 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the insight. I knew he wasn't on their radar, but didn't know why. Still leads me to wonder if there is any "bad blood" b/t Watauga HS and App? any insight there?
None at all that I know of. Eric's brother went to App and the family and Coach Moore are good friends. The family and Moore actually met up at Corey Lynch's wedding in that offseason, but at the time recruiting was off limits. Coach Moore gave his side of the story on a couple different interviews/teleconferences the week before the App/Woff game.

Apps03
November 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Jerry Moore decided not to try to recruit him after Wofford offered out of respect for MA I think.

That's the info I've read as well. Seems like it came up in the coach's conference call before the Wofford/ASU game and that was Coach Moore's reply.

blukeys
November 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM

I guess I could hate Samford if I knew something about him. Didn't he have a TV show where he was a junk dealer and his son was in the business. I didn't see anything there to hate.

SpeedkingATL
November 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Met Chris Evan's father at the Samford/ASU game prior to the game. Really pleasant guy. Congrats to Chris. I don't think I've ever met a Samford hater.....

proasu89
November 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM

No bad blood at all. Just this season WHS had a complete power outage right before kickoff and ASU came to the rescue and made Kidd Brewer ready in an hour. Concessions, locker rooms, and press box all available. There are many ties between the two and both are a intregal part of our community.The Watauga County School System is one of the best in the state and ASU plays a large role in that. As far as recruiting, WHS has very few athletes in football or basketball that are recruited by App. A handful have walked on over the years but I can't think of any recent scollies given out other than Seth Breitenstein.

ccd494
November 24th, 2010, 10:28 PM
this. i don't recall many CAA posters who are super eager to talk about Samford. pretty indifferent, actually.

Where the hell is Samford?

Block-A
November 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM
No bad blood at all. Just this season WHS had a complete power outage right before kickoff and ASU came to the rescue and made Kidd Brewer ready in an hour. Concessions, locker rooms, and press box all available. There are many ties between the two and both are a intregal part of our community.The Watauga County School System is one of the best in the state and ASU plays a large role in that. As far as recruiting, WHS has very few athletes in football or basketball that are recruited by App. A handful have walked on over the years but I can't think of any recent scollies given out other than Seth Breitenstein.

When I went to WHS in the '80s, they played their home football & soccer games at App's (then) Conrad Stadium. In the summer, the female students would lay out on beach towels on the turf, which was nice for teenaged boys. We'd play pick-up soccer games w/ the the drum majors' stands turned on their sides for goals, which made us unpopular with the drum majors. On Sundays after home games the stands were often littered with empty bottles.

I haven't lived in Boone for quite a while, but I would imagine none of that happens anymore....