PDA

View Full Version : Furman to talk to Billy Napier

Woof
November 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry OL FU, probably great news for Clemson fans and everyone in the SoCon...except Furmanxlolx

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/nov/23/napier-can-talk-to-furman/

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Sorry OL FU, probably great news for Clemson fans and everyone in the SoCon...except Furmanxlolx

I hope beyond all hope that FU does not hire the Air Force OC. Napier is my fav choice... the only thing better would be BVG from the Falcons! haha.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Napier is interesting. From everything I know (which ain't much) he is a great recruiter. I think he did ok at SC State while he was there. Maybe some of their fans will chime in. he obviously has a pretty good future as long as he didn't move up before he was ready. Really not sure.

My choice would be Hendrix from Air Force. He left after the 2004 season ( I think ). From what I understand he was number two on the list in 2001 when Lamb was chosen. Some say he left because of that. My guess is that it was less sour grapes and more a career choice. If I am not going to be head coach at Furman then I need to move up the ladder somewhere else. Our offensive line has not been the same since his departure.

I have no idea if he is interested. From the comment Napier made in the saturday paper he sounded interested. He was careful not to discuss it, but basically said he had no comment until he is contacted. Sounds to me like he was saying, contact me.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
The contact part of the article is fine, but I would absolutely be amazed if Lamb made $250,000 a year.

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
The contact part of the article is fine, but I would absolutely be amazed if Lamb made $250,000 a year.

I think this could be a problem for Furman, the SoCon's Coaching and Stadiums Arms Race has exploded since FU last hired a Head Coach. GSU should be doing some stadium expansions either this or next off season and we have one of the higher paid coaches. I'd assume Chatty and App are paying their coaches a large amount as well.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I think this could be a problem for Furman, the SoCon's Coaching and Stadiums Arms Race has exploded since FU last hired a Head Coach. GSU should be doing some stadium expansions either this or next off season and we have one of the higher paid coaches. I'd assume Chatty and App are paying their coaches a large amount as well.

I really hate to say this because if it is true it sucks and it is also an unverified rumor. That certain donors were willing to fund improvements but only after a coaching change. Also, the new president is being quoted as saying that we will pay the price we need to pay for the right coach.

I think Bobby's salary was impacted in several ways. As some have pointed out (including Mr. C) the perception is that Dr Shi didn't put much emphasis on football from a monetary standpoint. Any body who visited the campus before Shi and now can certainly see that he spent money. The number of buildings on the campus darn near doubled. There was money spent on other sports but not football. So I don't think Shi was too inclined to pay a football coach a quarter of a million bucks a year. Second, Bobby was a Furman guy. It wasn't like he was going to leave on his own even if he had been more successful. Third, since 2006 Bobby's support among the fan base and the big donors has been slipping, so a raise especially during bad economic times just wasn't happening.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Not sure if any Richmond fans will read this thread, but did Smolla have anything to with athletics?

Skjellyfetti
November 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM

Jerry Moore is only at $170,000 for salary. Once he retires we'll have to spend a lot more to get a good coach in all likelihood.

Who are the highest paid SoCon coaches?

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Jerry Moore is only at $170,000 for salary. Once he retires we'll have to spend a lot more to get a good coach in all likelihood.

Who are the highest paid SoCon coaches?

Monken @ 400K + Extras
200K from the State
200K+ from boosters and TV deals

BoroNative
November 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Monken @ 400K + Extras
200K from the State
200K+ from boosters and TV deals

can you cite that? I have heard such numbers since VanGoatNads, but that's hard to believe. I believe the state part.

insideout08
November 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Lamb made nowhere near that amount, although I wouldn't be surprised if the new coach was offered a good bit more than Bobby.

Hendrix and Bruce Fowler (@ Vandy) are most likely the top two candidates, I believe, with Napier and maybe a top assistant from CAA land also getting some attention (new prez has lots of ties to the state of Virginia). I doubt the net will need to go much wider than that.

PaladinNation
November 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM

Woof… be careful what you wish for. BL has been bashed by many fans of SoCon teams now he's gone… and sadly in BL's case in comes a renewed commitment to football.

Napier IMO has to be a finalist he has big upside, top notch recruiter, he was a savvy player, has an attitude that Furman needs, his father was a successful HS coach… and I don't buy the he's what's wrong with Clemson talk, I hear Dabo calls the plays and micro-manages.

Saying all that I would full court press for Clay Hendrix and put a package together that's hard from the Hendrix family to turn down. Clay is a great recruiter, and one of the best O-Line coaches in FBS. And he will bring discipline back to Furman Football.

OL FU
December 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Since it isn't official I will put it here.

Word is the next Furman coach will be Bruce Fowler, DC at Vanderbilt and former Furman asst and player.

GeauxLions94
December 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Since it isn't official I will put it here.

Word is the next Furman coach will be Bruce Fowler, DC at Vanderbilt and former Furman asst and player.

Yep, just saw it on FootballScoop.com ... should have posted it here. xoopsx