PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Finalists Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Versatile field on Eddie Robinson Award ballot
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) – All Football Championship Subdivision conferences are represented among the 20 finalists for the Eddie Robinson Award, which honors the national coach of the year and is sponsored by Fathead.com.

The Robinson Award, in its 24th year, will be presented at the national awards banquet on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas – the night before the national championship game.

A panel of nearly 175 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will select the Robinson Award winner.

The 20 candidates are:
Rob Ash, Montana State. No. 6 Bobcats shared the Big Sky Conference title and finished 9-2.

Mike Ayers, Wofford. After a 3-8 season in 2002, No. 7 Terriers finished 9-2 and shared the Southern Conference title.

Al Bagnoli, Penn. No. 14 Quakers went 9-1 and swept through the Ivy League for a second straight season.

Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington. Led the Eagles to a 9-2 record, a share of the Big Sky title and a No. 1 ranking to end the regular season.

Reggie Barlow, Alabama State. After four straight losing seasons, the Hornets earned a spot in the SWAC Championship Game with a 7-3 record.

Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville. Guided the No. 18 Dolphins to a 10-1 season and a share of the Pioneer Football League title.

Rick Chamberlin, Dayton. Guided the No. 23 Flyers to a 10-1 season and a share of the Pioneer Football League title.

Andy Coen, Lehigh. Turned a 4-7 squad in 2009 into a 9-2, Patriot League champion ranked No. 19.

Jack Crowe, Jacksonville State. Led the No. 8 Gamecocks to a 9-2 record with a road win over Ole Miss of the FBS.

J.C. Harper, Stephen F. Austin. No. 3 Lumberjacks finished 9-2 and captured a second straight Southland Conference title.

Mark Hendrickson, Western Illinois. After a 1-10 record in 2009, Hendrickson got the full-time job and led the No. 21 Leathernecks to a 7-4 season.

Brian Jenkins, Bethune-Cookman. Led the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tri-champion to a 10-1 record and the No. 13 ranking.

K.C. Keeler, Delaware. Directed the No. 5 Blue Hens to a 9-2 record and a share of the CAA Football title.

Ed Lamb, Southern Utah. His Thunderbirds swept their way to their first Great West Conference title and finished 6-5.

Jimmye Laycock, William & Mary. No. 4 Tribe finished 8-3, shared the CAA title, was top-ranked for a week and beat four ranked teams, including No. 1 and 2.

Trent Miles, Indiana State. The Sycamores finished 6-5 after entering the season with only two wins in their prior 62 games.

Jerry Moore, Appalachian State. No. 2 Mountaineers gained a share of its sixth straight Southern Conference title, finished 9-2 and earned the No. 1 FCS playoff seed.

Danny Rocco, Liberty. No. 17 Flames shared their fourth straight Big South Conference title and finished 8-3.

Tony Samuel, Southeast Missouri State. Guided the No. 9 Redhawks to the Ohio Valley Conference title and a seven-game improvement from 2009 to 9-2.

Joe Walton, Robert Morris. Veteran coach delivered a 8-2 season and the Northeast Conference’s first-ever playoff berth.

The Sports Network also presents the Walter Payton and Buck Buchanan awards which are sponsored by Fathead.com. The Payton Award honors the FCS' outstanding player and the Buchanan Award honors the FCS' outstanding defensive player. Those two awards, like the Robinson, will be presented at the national awards banquet.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4358157

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) – All Football Championship Subdivision conferences are represented among the 20 finalists for the Eddie Robinson Award, which honors the national coach of the year and is sponsored by Fathead.com.

The Robinson Award, in its 24th year, will be presented at the national awards banquet on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas – the night before the national championship game.

A panel of nearly 175 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will select the Robinson Award winner.

The 20 candidates are:
Rob Ash, Montana State. No. 6 Bobcats shared the Big Sky Conference title and finished 9-2.

Mike Ayers, Wofford. After a 3-8 season in 2002, No. 7 Terriers finished 9-2 and shared the Southern Conference title.

Al Bagnoli, Penn. No. 14 Quakers went 9-1 and swept through the Ivy League for a second straight season.

Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington. Led the Eagles to a 9-2 record, a share of the Big Sky title and a No. 1 ranking to end the regular season.

Reggie Barlow, Alabama State. After four straight losing seasons, the Hornets earned a spot in the SWAC Championship Game with a 7-3 record.

Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville. Guided the No. 18 Dolphins to a 10-1 season and a share of the Pioneer Football League title.

Rick Chamberlin, Dayton. Guided the No. 23 Flyers to a 10-1 season and a share of the Pioneer Football League title.

Andy Coen, Lehigh. Turned a 4-7 squad in 2009 into a 9-2, Patriot League champion ranked No. 19.

Jack Crowe, Jacksonville State. Led the No. 8 Gamecocks to a 9-2 record with a road win over Ole Miss of the FBS.

J.C. Harper, Stephen F. Austin. No. 3 Lumberjacks finished 9-2 and captured a second straight Southland Conference title.

Mark Hendrickson, Western Illinois. After a 1-10 record in 2009, Hendrickson got the full-time job and led the No. 21 Leathernecks to a 7-4 season.

Brian Jenkins, Bethune-Cookman. Led the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tri-champion to a 10-1 record and the No. 13 ranking.

K.C. Keeler, Delaware. Directed the No. 5 Blue Hens to a 9-2 record and a share of the CAA Football title.
Ed Lamb, Southern Utah. His Thunderbirds swept their way to their first Great West Conference title and finished 6-5.

Jimmye Laycock, William & Mary. No. 4 Tribe finished 8-3, shared the CAA title, was top-ranked for a week and beat four ranked teams, including No. 1 and 2.

Trent Miles, Indiana State. The Sycamores finished 6-5 after entering the season with only two wins in their prior 62 games.

Jerry Moore, Appalachian State. No. 2 Mountaineers gained a share of its sixth straight Southern Conference title, finished 9-2 and earned the No. 1 FCS playoff seed.

Danny Rocco, Liberty. No. 17 Flames shared their fourth straight Big South Conference title and finished 8-3.

Tony Samuel, Southeast Missouri State. Guided the No. 9 Redhawks to the Ohio Valley Conference title and a seven-game improvement from 2009 to 9-2.

Joe Walton, Robert Morris. Veteran coach delivered a 8-2 season and the Northeast Conference’s first-ever playoff berth.

The Sports Network also presents the Walter Payton and Buck Buchanan awards which are sponsored by Fathead.com. The Payton Award honors the FCS' outstanding player and the Buchanan Award honors the FCS' outstanding defensive player. Those two awards, like the Robinson, will be presented at the national awards banquet.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4358157

AH'D GO WHIFF KEELER.....TOOK UH 6-5.....SQWAD TA 9-2....ONE POINT LOSS TA BILL & MARE/OT LOSS TA FORMER NC 'NOVA........NEGOTIATED DUH CAA FIELD O' LAND MINES....SHOODAH GO IT IN 'O3.....AFTERAH TAKIN' TUBBY'S WING-T RECRUITS...TA MECCA.......AN'..ALREADY GOT DUH SHADES ON...FO' WHEN DUH BULBS FLASH.........xnodx...AWK!

xhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxx homerxxhomerx

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
This was the toughest ballot ever for me to fill out. I voted earlier today and I had four coaches I really wanted in my top five that I had to leave off. This vote could be the tightest ever if every league is represented well in voting.

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

The 20 candidates are:

Coen of Lehigh, Jenkins of B-C, or Moore of App state----would get my votes.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'd write-in Johnnie Cole of Texas Southern... they are playing in the SWAC title game! They have not won a SWAC title since 1968 and never an outright title.

I was one of the first advocates for Henry Frazier III before he got it - guess I have to wait until next year for Cole, when he goes back for the repeat? Then at that point, Miles may be playoff pound and take the love...

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
The fact that Jeff Monken is one of the 20 coaches that will be coaching in the playoffs alone should put him in the 20 finalist list. When you add the fact that he's a 1st time head coach in his first year, installing an offense that only the true freshman were recruited for makes him a top candidate to win the whole freaking thing. The fact that he's not a top 20 finalist makes this award a joke IMHO.

appvette
November 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
The fact that Jeff Monken is one of the 20 coaches that will be coaching in the playoffs alone should put him in the 20 finalist list. When you add the fact that he's a 1st time head coach in his first year, installing an offense that only the true freshman were recruited for makes him a top candidate to win the whole freaking thing. The fact that he's not a top 20 finalist makes this award a joke IMHO.

Agreed... Monken should be on there.

eaglewraith
November 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
No Jeff Monken as a finalist makes this list bull****

Apps03
November 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Look, Jeff Monken should probably be in consideration but you guys yelling "the list is bull****" and "this award is a joke" is just as ridiculous and frankly makes you look bad. Lets not take away from the work these guys did because of your perceived "woofing" of Coach Monken..

SuperEagle
November 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
I was suprised Monken was left off as well. Not a big deal but I think we all know he has a good case. If you compare the pre-season Sports Network Poll to the final Sports Network poll, it really shows what a good job Jeff did w/the Eagles. Here's how he compares to some other coaches on the list.
Pre-Season Sports Network Poll: App 3, Jacksonville State 17, Wofford 27, GSU 49
Final Sports Network Poll: App 2, JSU 8, Wofford 7, GSU 20.
--
So Monken has led the Eagles to a ranking 29 spots better than the experts predicted. To me, that should warrant a nomination. Not a big deal as I'm sure he would rather have a playoff appearance than this award. But a pretty good case can be made.

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Chris Hatcher, 1st year head coach-Murray State: 5th nationally in total offense, 4th nationally in passing offense, 1st in the OVC in passing offense, total offense, scoring offense, punt returns and tackles for loss. Looks like Hatcher found a good fit at Murray State. Just kidding about the Robinson award though. More:

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2010&org=454

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
If Jerry Moore wins the award it is BS (no offense App fans)

Redhawk2010
November 22nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
So Monken has led the Eagles to a ranking 29 spots better than the experts predicted. To me, that should warrant a nomination. Not a big deal as I'm sure he would rather have a playoff appearance than this award. But a pretty good case can be made.

Isn't this done by fan voting?

Tony Samuel took Southeast Missouri from 2-9 in 2009 to 9-2 in 2010 with their lone FCS loss to Jacksonville State with 11 seconds to go in the game. He works with what it appears to be a much smaller budget than other FCS schools and facilities that leave plenty to wish for. It has been a remarkable season and hopefully the Redhawks are able to extend this season AND build on it next season..

clawman
November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
EWU's Coach Baldwin is certainly deserving. From preseason polls that pretty much left the Eagles for road kill to a 7 game winning streak in one of the top conferences in the country to now the #1 ranking in 2 major polls demonstrates what he has done with his players this year. He has maximized their potential, a sign of an outstanding COACH

eaglewraith
November 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Look, Jeff Monken should probably be in consideration but you guys yelling "the list is bull****" and "this award is a joke" is just as ridiculous and frankly makes you look bad. Lets not take away from the work these guys did because of your perceived "woofing" of Coach Monken..

It is what it is.

semoredhawk
November 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Isn't this done by fan voting?

Tony Samuel took Southeast Missouri from 2-9 in 2009 to 9-2 in 2010 with their lone FCS loss to Jacksonville State with 11 seconds to go in the game. He works with what it appears to be a much smaller budget than other FCS schools and facilities that leave plenty to wish for. It has been a remarkable season and hopefully the Redhawks are able to extend this season AND build on it next season..

I think you are thinking of the Liberty Mutual COY thing. Yea, the top 15 fan votes go to a committee, then it gets paired down. The Robinson Award, I think is sportswriters, and SID types?

seantaylor
November 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Chris Hatcher, 1st year head coach-Murray State: 5th nationally in total offense, 4th nationally in passing offense, 1st in the OVC in passing offense, total offense, scoring offense, punt returns and tackles for loss. Looks like Hatcher found a good fit at Murray State. Just kidding about the Robinson award though. More:

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2010&org=454

Hatcher sucks. We would have lost 8 games if that rube was still our coach.

GSUhooligan
November 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
If Jerry Moore wins the award it is BS (no offense App fans)

I agree. While Moore is a heck of a coach and is largely responsible for where App is today, a chimpanzee could take App's roster and win 8 FCS games. Ayers is another heck of a coach and the turn-around has been remarkable, but its not like Wofford was down for that long and it was with players that were on the team last year, they were just hurt. IMHO I think the race should be between Monken, SEMO's coach and Indiana State's coach.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
I didn't vote in this, but Andy Coen and Tony Samuel would be a lock on my ballot.

LeadBolt
November 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
OK, I know its a homer pick, but with all the injuries that Laycocke has had to work with at W&M this year, I feel he is deserving. He has been changing offenses to accommodate having to play 5 different QB's because of injuries. Trantin, the preseason AA @ LB wasn't in school. Grimes was below speed much of the year, Dohse, the most dangerous receiver was out as were a plethora of others, on top of losing 4 players that signed with pro teams (including CFL).