PDA

View Full Version : Final Buck Buchanan Award Update

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM
MY 20 BUCHANAN BATTLE CANDIDATES
DE Kenneth Charles, Stephen F. Austin, Sr.- 59 TT, 17.5 TFL, 14 sacks, 2 PBU, 1 QBH, 4 FF in 11 games.
DE Mario Kurn, San Diego, Jr.- 66 TT, 27 TFL, 17 sacks, 5 PBU, 7 QBH, 2 FF in 11 games.
DE Zack Nash, Sacramento State, Jr.- 37 TT, 16.5 TFL, 13 sacks, 4 QBH, 6 FF in 11 games.
DE Ameet Pall, Wofford, Jr.- 47 TT, 19.5 TFL, 12.5 sacks, 6 QBH, 2 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.
DT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, Sr.- 93 TT, 15 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 QBH, 2 FR, 1 FF in 10 games.
DT Martin Parker, Richmond, Sr.- 96 TT, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 PBU, 9 QBH, 1 FF, 1 BLK in 11 games.
DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Soph.- 53 TT, 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.
LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Soph.- 135 TT, 8.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT/returned one for TD, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR/returned one for TD, 3 FF in 11 games.
LB Kyle Glazier, Western Illinois, Sr.- 137 TT, 11.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 1 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.
LB Tyler Holmes, UMASS, Jr.- 110 TT, 12 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 INT/returned two for TD, 1 PBU, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.
LB Keith Pough, Howard, Soph.- 100 TT, 28.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 3 PBU, 5 QBH, 1 FR, 4 FF in 11 games.
LB J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington, Sr.- 125 TT, 10 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 3 INT, 4 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.
LB D.J. Smith, Appalachian State, Sr.- 122 TT, 3 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 3 PBU, 3 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.
CB Moses Ellis, Prairie View A&M, Sr.- 41 TT, 1 TFL, 8 INT, 14 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF in 11 games.
CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana, Jr.- 44 TT, 3.5 TFL, 0.5 sack, 4 INTs/returned 2 for TDs, 7 PBU, 2 carries, 9 yds, 8 KR, 178 yds, 25.1avg in 11 games.
CB Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.- 41 TT, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 1 QBH in 11 games.
FS Tylor Brock, Southeast Missouri State, Soph.- 53 TT, 0.5 TFL, 6 INT/returned two for TD, 2 PBU in 11 games.
FS Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Sr.- 42 TT, 1 TFL, 5 INT, 6 PBU in 10 games.
SS Eugene Clifford, Tennessee State, Sr.- 83 TT, 1 TFL, 0.5 sack, 4 INT, 10 PBU, 2 FF in 11 games.
SS James Vercammen, Dayton, Sr.- 100 TT, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 1 QBH, 1 FR, 3 FF in 11 games.

Notes: PVAMU CB Moses Ellis now leads the nation in passes defended (22) after picking off two passes on Saturday and for that he was added. Sac State DE Zack Nash leads the BSC in tackles for loss (16.5) and sacks (13) and was added to the list.

Before I get to my top 10 lists I want to note my top 10 is how talented the players are and how good of a season they have had, regardless of production.

PROJECTED TOP TEN

1. LB J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington, Sr.- 125 TT, 10 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 3 INT, 4 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

The Eagles’ success and Sherritt boasting the reputation and solid numbers to earn the award probably give EWU their second Buchanan winner. However, it would not surprise me to see the award go to someone else. Nobody has a definite hold on it like Moats did last year.

2. DE Ameet Pall, Wofford, Jr.- 47 TT, 19.5 TFL, 12.5 sacks, 6 QBH, 2 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Pall’s gaudy numbers and percentage of tackles for loss to tackles probably allow him to finish pretty high. This is just a shot in the dark here because any one of four or five others could easily finish this high.

3. LB Tyler Holmes, UMASS, Jr.- 110 TT, 12 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 INT/returned two for TD, 1 PBU, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Holmes was lights out on television this year and likely guaranteed himself a spot in the top five. If he does not finish in the top five something is wrong.

4. LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Soph.- 135 TT, 8.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT/returned one for TD, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR/returned one for TD, 3 FF in 11 games.

Evans has been a playmaker and might even be the CAA DEF POY this week. He can do it all and has been one of the most impressive linebackers I have seen in FCS the last three years.

5. LB D.J. Smith, Appalachian State, Sr.- 122 TT, 3 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 3 PBU, 3 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.

ASU earned the no. 1 seed and they are pushing Smith over LeGree for awards so it is likely that Smith finishes pretty high, especially when you consider the fact he had a good reputation entering the season. His move to inside linebacker was brilliant because it has helped his production and given the NFL scouts a look at the position we all project him at.

6. DT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, Sr.- 93 TT, 15 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 QBH, 2 FR, 1 FF in 10 games.

The NFL Draft buzz, production, and television performances of Ellis likely land him higher than you might expect. Hopefully voters saw him and know how dominant he is.

7. LB Kyle Glazier, Western Illinois, Sr.- 137 TT, 11.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 1 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Glazier has been a good one for WIU and finished as one of the top tacklers in FCS this year. He is a playmaker who impressed me every time I saw him.

8. DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Soph.- 53 TT, 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.

Russell likely finishes in the top 10 because of his production and the fact he is developing quite a name in FCS. However, he is just a sophomore and you have to bring special production to be given the benefit of the doubt. Most voters don’t see everyone and thus rely heavily on production. If he is not considered a top three favorite entering next year something is heavily wrong.

9. FS Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Sr.- 42 TT, 1 TFL, 5 INT, 6 PBU in 10 games.

LeGree might even finish in the top 5-6 because of his reputation and decent production but nobody got to see him against Florida because he sat out and I’m thinking it might hurt him. It shouldn’t though as he is one of the top five defenders in FCS.

10. CB Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.- 41 TT, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 1 QBH in 11 games.

I picked Lindsey hoping voters at least give him votes for his reputation and assume he locked everyone down with quarterbacks too scared to test him. He is probably the most physically gifted defender in FCS, outside of Ellis, this year and has developed the nickname “Lindsey Island” because he simply covers and shuts down opposing team’s best receivers.

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM
MY TOP TEN

1. LB J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington, Sr.- 125 TT, 10 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 3 INT, 4 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

This is tough as I would be okay with handing the award to any one of four or five players but I went with Sherritt because he was a close second to Moats last year, in my mind, and he had another terrific season. Sherritt led the Eagles in tackles and is a major reason they are the no. 1 ranked team heading into the playoffs.

2. CB Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.- 41 TT, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 1 QBH in 11 games.

Like the offensive line there can be a dominant player in the secondary without production to gauge. Lindsey has been a shut down guy all year long. He finally got a pick this past weekend when truly tested. Lindsey should finish his career as a three-time All-American and eventually be taken in the top 100 picks of the 2011 NFL Draft.

3. LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Soph.- 135 TT, 8.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT/returned one for TD, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR/returned one for TD, 3 FF in 11 games.

Evans has been truly amazing making plays all over the field. He is by far the best player on their defense, despite only being a sophomore. He has a bright future in FCS and should be among the top players in the country next year.

4. DT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, Sr.- 93 TT, 15 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 QBH, 2 FR, 1 FF in 10 games.

Ellis has been dominant all year long and despite not getting MEAC DEF POY he is the top defender in the league by far. His team’s average season really hurt him in the voting and should hurt him in the Buchanan voting but again if you are talking about the best defensive player in FCS he should be listed among the top five.

5. LB Tyler Holmes, UMASS, Jr.- 110 TT, 12 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 INT/returned two for TD, 1 PBU, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Holmes is a player who could have been number one on my ballot with another impressive game on Saturday but failed to have another player of the week type performance. He certainly has put himself into prime position for the award next year.

6. DE Ameet Pall, Wofford, Jr.- 47 TT, 19.5 TFL, 12.5 sacks, 6 QBH, 2 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Pall is not the most physically impressive defender in the SoCon and he doesn’t have the NFL prospects of Smith or LeGree at App or even that of Russell at GSU but he led the league in both tackles for loss and sacks and had a great year. He truly deserves to be in the top 10 after the production he amassed.

7. DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Soph.- 53 TT, 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.

I almost put him fifth but it is hard to put a sophomore in the top five without gaudy stats. While his production for a tackle is impressive he really needed double digit sacks to be placed that high.

8. FS Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Sr.- 42 TT, 1 TFL, 5 INT, 6 PBU in 10 games.

LeGree is the best ball hawking safety I have seen in years. Rarely tested and still has five picks. He sat out against Florida and ASU gave up 48 points. This kid can play centerfield better than anyone and has a shot to play in the NFL for sure.

9. CB Moses Ellis, Prairie View A&M, Sr.- 41 TT, 1 TFL, 8 INT, 14 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF in 11 games.

Hard not to put Ellis in your top 10 when he led the nation in passes defended and closed the season with two interceptions to cap off what has been an impressive year for the undersized defensive back. While the NFL is not likely in his future he is one of the best defensive backs in FCS and should be a first-team All-American if voters have watched him play this year.

10. LB Keith Pough, Howard, Soph.- 100 TT, 28.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 3 PBU, 5 QBH, 1 FR, 4 FF in 11 games.

I know the MEAC is considered weak but Pough led the nation in tackles for loss and was a force coming off the edge all year long. He has potential at the next level according to Howard coaches and should be the clear front runner for MEAC DEF POY and a favorite for the Buck Buchanan Award next year.

seantaylor
November 22nd, 2010, 03:51 AM
MY TOP TEN

This is tough as I would be okay with handing the award to any one of four or five players but I went with Sherritt because he was a close second to Moats last year, in my mind, and he had another terrific season. Sherritt led the Eagles in tackles and is a major reason they are the no. 1 ranked team heading into the playoffs.

2. CB Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.- 41 TT, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 1 QBH in 11 games.

Like the offensive line there can be a dominant player in the secondary without production to gauge. Lindsey has been a shut down guy all year long. He finally got a pick this past weekend when truly tested. Lindsey should finish his career as a three-time All-American and eventually be taken in the top 100 picks of the 2011 NFL Draft.

3. DT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, Sr.- 93 TT, 15 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 QBH, 2 FR, 1 FF in 10 games.

Ellis has been dominant all year long and despite not getting MEAC DEF POY he is the top defender in the league by far. His team’s average season really hurt him in the voting and should hurt him in the Buchanan voting but again if you are talking about the best defensive player in FCS he should be listed among the top five.

4. LB Matt Evans, New Hampshire, Soph.- 135 TT, 8.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 INT/returned one for TD, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR, 3 FF in 11 games.

Evans has been truly amazing making plays all over the field. He is by far the best player on their defense, despite only being a sophomore. He has a bright future in FCS and should be among the top players in the country next year.

5. LB Tyler Holmes, UMASS, Jr.- 110 TT, 12 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 INT/returned two for TD, 1 PBU, 1 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Holmes is a player who could have been number one on my ballot with another impressive game on Saturday but failed to have another player of the week type performance. He certainly has put himself into prime position for the award next year.

6. DE Ameet Pall, Wofford, Jr.- 47 TT, 19.5 TFL, 12.5 sacks, 6 QBH, 2 FR, 2 FF in 11 games.

Pall is not the most physically impressive defender in the SoCon and he doesn’t have the NFL prospects of Smith or LeGree at App or even that of Russell at GSU but he led the league in both tackles for loss and sacks and had a great year. He truly deserves to be in the top 10 after the production he amassed.

7. DT Brent Russell, Georgia Southern, Soph.- 53 TT, 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FR in 11 games.

I almost put him fifth but it is hard to put a sophomore in the top five without gaudy stats. While his production for a tackle is impressive he really needed double digit sacks to be placed that high.

8. FS Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Sr.- 42 TT, 1 TFL, 5 INT, 6 PBU in 10 games.

LeGree is the best ball hawking safety I have seen in years. Rarely tested and still has five picks. He sat out against Florida and ASU gave up 48 points. This kid can play centerfield better than anyone and has a shot to play in the NFL for sure.

9. CB Moses Ellis, Prairie View A&M, Sr.- 41 TT, 1 TFL, 8 INT, 14 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF in 11 games.

Hard not to put Ellis in your top 10 when he led the nation in passes defended and closed the season with two interceptions to cap off what has been an impressive year for the undersized defensive back. While the NFL is not likely in his future he is one of the best defensive backs in FCS and should be a first-team All-American if voters have watched him play this year.

10. LB Keith Pough, Howard, Soph.- 100 TT, 28.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 3 PBU, 5 QBH, 1 FR, 4 FF in 11 games.

I know the MEAC is considered weak but Pough led the nation in tackles for loss and was a force coming off the edge all year long. He has potential at the next level according to Howard coaches and should be the clear front runner for MEAC DEF POY and a favorite for the Buck Buchanan Award next year.

Um, you put in a DT in the top 5 with 4 less sacks. BRuss is much better than Ellis. Ellis plays against nobody.

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Um, you put in a DT in the top 5 with 4 less sacks. BRuss is much better than Ellis. Ellis plays against nobody.

Two different types of players SeanTaylor.

First on your point of level of competition Ellis started out in the SEC at South Carolina. He was a heavily recruited player who was dismissed from the team. If he did not have character issues he would probably be first-team All-SEC this year.

Second, he is a different type of player than Russell. Especially when talking about the next level. Russell is about 6'2 290 and an athletic 3-technique designed for a 4-3 defense as a pass rusher. Ellis is 6'5 340 pounds and designed to be a 3-4 nose guard. He plugs the middle and isn't suppose to have a lot of sacks. Ellis had 93 tackles compared to 53 by Russell and like Russell he was double and triple teamed an awful lot. Ellis is much bigger, sheds blocks better (double teams don't even slow him down), and he is one of those freakish tackles who makes plays sideline to sideline with a great motor.

I'm not taking anything away from Russell but he is a sophomore and will have his due. Can't deny a player like Ellis who is the most physically imposing defensive tackle in all of FCS football and would probably be the second or third best in the SEC, if he were still at South Carolina.

UNHFootballAlum
November 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evans also has a fumble return for a TD in addition to his INT pick 6

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evans also has a fumble return for a TD in addition to his INT pick 6

Went through quickly and missed that second TD. Fixed now! Thanks!

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
You know, I look at numbers of Evans playing elite competition week and week out and I do not understand why he's behind some of these guys..

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
You know, I look at numbers of Evans playing elite competition week and week out and I do not understand why he's behind some of these guys..

His numbers are crazy. It is funny because I had him lower on here because he is a sophomore and I know that can hurt a player in voting unless they have some insanely gaudy stat like 10 or 13 INTs, 20 sacks, etc. His tackles are very good but not 160 or 180 like some previous winners have had. Then when I turned in my vote this morning I actually had him second on my ballot. He was quite impressive this year. If he, Russell, Holmes, and Pall are not the favorites by a land slide heading into next year I will be surprised. Evans was brilliant in the big games.

UNH72Plus
November 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evans only played the first half Saturday, I know it was only Towson but he had seven tackles, a forced fumble, and a pick six!

umassfan
November 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Holmes still the top choice. He has better numbers everywhere except for tackles over your number one. Id take the other areas over tackles any day of the week. Sorry!

cderry
November 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Glazier named Academic All-American

WESTERN ILLINOIS
LB Kyle Glazier holds a 3.88 cumulative GPA in Law Enforcement Justice Administration. The 2010 Buck Buchanan Award candidate leads the conference and ranks third nationally in tackles (12.45). He holds the 1st (25 at Missouri State) and tied for 3rd (21 at South Dakota State) most tackles in a FCS game this year, while he had eight games of 10-plus tackles. The Preseason All-American was National ‘Defensive Player of the Week’ by The Sports Network and earned a 2009 MVFC Commissioner’s Academic Excellence Award. He was a first-team all-district selection last year.

SU DOG
November 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
How could LB Bryce Smith of Samford not be included on ANY list? He currently leads the nation in solo tackles (85) for the second straight year, leads the SoCon in tackles, and is eighth in the nation in TT with 129.

umassfan
November 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
How could LB Bryce Smith of Samford not be included on ANY list? He currently leads the nation in solo tackles (85) for the second straight year, leads the SoCon in tackles, and is eighth in the nation in TT with 129.

Has he done anything extra like sacks tackles for loss ints fumbles? That would help but without that he shouldnt be included.

smallcollegefbfan
November 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Smith is a very good player but I would rank him as the 7th best defender in the SoCon. He is short, stiff hipped, and the only LB making stops most of the time. He is a very good player but just not elite to the point I felt he should be included as a top 20 defensive player in all of FCS. Before you ask who I think is better in the SoCon I would say DJ Smith, Mark LeGree, Ameet Pall, Ryan Steed, Kadarron Anderson, Brent Russell, and Erik Clanton all stood out more and caught my eye much more than Smith. Still, that is a great list of players so I am not saying he is not a good player. Just felt as though he was too far down the list in the SoCon not to include him on my Buchanan list.

Maroon&White
November 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Holmes still the top choice. He has better numbers everywhere except for tackles over your number one. Id take the other areas over tackles any day of the week. Sorry!

Too bad Holmes had Mele taking a lot of the tackles.