PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls St on Probation

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Good news! My Bearkats improve from 2-9 to 3-8 in 2003!

--------
Players lied about coursework
Associated Press
THIBODAUX, La. -- Nicholls State was put on probation for four years by the NCAA on Tuesday following a scandal in which more than two dozen athletes on the football, volleyball and men's basketball teams claimed credit for correspondence course work done by someone else.

The NCAA also ordered victories forfeited and reduced scholarships.

The university planned a news conference later Tuesday to discuss the case.

The university began investigating last August after some athletes tried to transfer credits for summer courses taken through BYU. Nicholls State employees were supposed to monitor the work and certify it was done by the students claiming credit.

Continued...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2057283

TexasTerror
May 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Look at you Ralph! All over it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tod
May 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM
The NCAA doesn't know its own rules? That's kind of sad... :(

bkrownd
May 11th, 2005, 01:29 AM
So, did these cheatenous students lose their degrees? (if they got any)

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
From a post I made on Bobcatfans.com...

They put the asterik in there I think. Looking at the SLC record book, like in 1979, they designate "one win by forfeit". So it counts as a win. Or in 1990 when SFA forfeited a game. 2000 also reflects forfeitures by NW State and has a small paragraph which is what I am assuming the SLC will do.

This means NW State, SHSU and the San Marcos Bobcats all tied at 2-3 in conference for 3rd place instead of 4th. How about that? Each of those teams had SLC losses to Nicholls that year who was 3-2. The rest of the SLC does not change.

HensRock
May 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Ralph,
Any Game of the Week nominations involving Nichols should probably be removed from the ballot.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Ralph,
Any Game of the Week nominations involving Nichols should probably be removed from the ballot.

I would love to know if that would even affect anything.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Ralph, Any Game of the Week nominations involving Nichols should probably be removed from the ballot.

They aren't deserving of anyone's vote! Nicholls is a SLC bottom-feeder and is only entertaining if the Triple Option excites you...