PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville State vs. Wofford game thread

JaxSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
If it's not too soon.

Jax State obviously has to spend the next two weeks regrouping and getting their heads in the right place. Wofford ought to feel confident after Saturday's win over Chattanooga.

The head-to-head comparison with Chattanooga (JSU won 21-17 in week 2, Wofford won Saturday 45-14) might be misleading. Remember that Appalachian State needed a comeback to win in 'Nooga, 42-41.

Jax State hasn't lost yet in the newly expanded stadium, and has drawn big crowds all year; could that be a factor? The triple option obviously presents a challenge for the Gamecocks and perhaps an advantage for Wofford, but JSU does have two weeks to study.

JSU's tendency to make the fourth quarter crucial could be a liability or an advantage. It depends on who gets the lead early.

Thoughts?

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
I think they need to just keep it in Middleton's hands...I liked him and L Williams the receiver. They had tons of early success with slant patterns and I think L Williams had 3 or 4 of their long 3rd down conversions. I thought Ivory would run it a little more - did he run it much from the QB spot this year? Being at home should help Jacksonville St, I think their run defense will have their hands full, though.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM
for Jacksonville St to score points they have to keep their QB's protected. If not Wofford will control the line of scrimmage and the Defense will win the day. Wofford needs to maintain its diversity on offense that we saw against Chatty. If we pass the ball for more than 100 yards I think we win.

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Obviously, I'm going to be one-sided here, only because I saw Jacksonville St last night and haven't seen Wofford play - so, don't take it as disrespect. JSU QB, Ivory, is BIG and will be tough to bring down...JSU will score some points - have a lot of talent at RB and WR.

T-Dawg95
November 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
What kind of offense are we looking at JSU fans? Everyone knows what Wofford runs. What kind of offense would you liken yourself too?

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM
I think they like to throw the ball around a lot....not like Elon, more like Chattanooga

Redhawk2010
November 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Obviously, I'm going to be one-sided here, only because I saw Jacksonville St last night and haven't seen Wofford play - so, don't take it as disrespect. JSU QB, Ivory, is BIG and will be tough to bring down...JSU will score some points - have a lot of talent at RB and WR.

SEMO found that one out. If they bring him down, they beat JSU on the 13th..

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2010, 01:15 PM
JSU's QB is dangerous and in the one whole game I watched JSU play (their amazing win against Ole Miss), he didn't make mistakes and found ways to make big plays. From what I recall, their offense was quite varied, especially for an opening game, and they ran the ball just enough to keep Ole Miss guessing. Over the season, he has just 7 picks to 17 touchdowns - a good ratio, and speaks of a patient qb. Plus their coach deciding to go for two to win at Ole Miss rather than tie it in the second OT speaks of a very dangerous team.

On the other hand, JSU's defense was not as impressive as their offense (again, early season game). They gave up some key plays, but they did the old bend-but-don't-break.

I'll be cheering for Wofford, personally, as I love the program and have nothing but respect for the Terriers and their fans (especially after their classy showing in quietly beating the Griz in the playoffs a few years ago). But this will probably be a game of big defensive plays - whoever can get the key stops should control the game - and I'll definitely find a way to watch this one!

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
JSU's QB is dangerous and in the one whole game I watched JSU play (their amazing win against Ole Miss), he didn't make mistakes and found ways to make big plays. From what I recall, their offense was quite varied, especially for an opening game, and they ran the ball just enough to keep Ole Miss guessing. Over the season, he has just 7 picks to 17 touchdowns - a good ratio, and speaks of a patient qb. Plus their coach deciding to go for two to win at Ole Miss rather than tie it in the second OT speaks of a very dangerous team.

On the other hand, JSU's defense was not as impressive as their offense (again, early season game). They gave up some key plays, but they did the old bend-but-don't-break.

I'll be cheering for Wofford, personally, as I love the program and have nothing but respect for the Terriers and their fans (especially after their classy showing in quietly beating the Griz in the playoffs a few years ago). But this will probably be a game of big defensive plays - whoever can get the key stops should control the game - and I'll definitely find a way to watch this one!
so would you say that the team with the surperior defense has the advantage? In which case I think that would be Wofford.

JSU02
November 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
so would you say that the team with the surperior defense has the advantage? In which case I think that would be Wofford.

Our defense isn't bad, its just that the DC loves to go into the prevent in the 4th quarter when we are ahead. And once again, all it did was prevent us from winning.

Waco Kid
November 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
What kind of DT's do the Gamecocks have? To stop Wofford you need to be strong up the gut. ASU proved that a couple of studs in the middle and a good MLB can shutdown the puppies. If you aren't strong in the middle it could be a long day. JSU is lucky to have 2 weeks to prepare for the option.

JaxSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
What kind of DT's do the Gamecocks have?We're not bad there. Jamison Wadley is a player for sure, and Tim McGee brings the beef. We faced a tough ground attack, though of a far different variety, in SEMO two weeks ago - the D was obviously enthused and kept Henry Harris bottled up for most of the first half.

Our strength this year was supposed to be at the corners, but that hasn't helped much. When a team needs yards against us, they can typically throw screen passes that seem to confuse our staff and keep the chains moving, then let a speedy quarterback carry it up the middle once we've seen the screen a few times. I don't worry about revealing this weakness here, as anyone who watches the EKU or TTU games will see it right away. I know our fans were yelling it at the sidelines last night.

Cocky
November 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Our d line is our strong point. Kevin Dix being hurt doesn't help but we will be fine. Our all america corners are a different story.

Rekdiver
November 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think this is a tough draw for Wofford. I am anxious to see this game. Hope it is on ESPN gameplan!

JSU02
November 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think this is a tough draw for Wofford. I am anxious to see this game. Hope it is on ESPN gameplan!

It is supposed to be.

94Terrier
November 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'm just glad we don't have to travel to the far ends of the earth to play our first round game. We will have to play another bend-don't break game on defense and get lots of pressure on the QB to make sure our offense can control the clock. Luckily, we have done this for a vast majority of the season. Should be a very exciting game.

Redbirdz
November 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hopefully, you will face a 20,000 + crowd.

JROCK98
November 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Teams that don't see the triple option offense often usually struggle with it and that's what I expect out of this game. I watched the JSU and EKU game and wasnt impressed with JSU defense at all, maybe that was just a bad game though???. I think Wofford controls the game on the ground and then strikes deep with play action passes to wide open receivers and wins by 14-17. I also think Wofford's D forces a few turnovers.

SC-T-Dogg
November 22nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Jacksonville gives up nearly 26 points per game while Wofford gives up just 17 points per game. I do not think that the Chatty game provides that much help in measurement. I HIGHLY doubt Wofford will throw many screen passes or even a screen pass. However, the coming up the middle will be a every third play deal. Assignment and fighting in the trenches.....That is Terrier football.

Sounds like Jacksonville likes to throw and while we are much better than in previous years, that has been a problem in the past. I am with 94', atleast we did not have to travel across the Country! Should be a very good game.......

appstate38
November 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Teams that don't see the triple option offense often usually struggle with it and that's what I expect out of this game. I watched the JSU and EKU game and wasnt impressed with JSU defense at all, maybe that was just a bad game though???. I think Wofford controls the game on the ground and then strikes deep with play action passes to wide open receivers and wins by 14-17. I also think Wofford's D forces a few turnovers.

I have to agree here. If you haven't played that triple option alot then its gonna be tough to defend. Breinstein is a load at FB for Wofford. Got to stop him to be successful. If you don't well it could be a short trip in the playoffs.

JaxSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
I watched the JSU and EKU game and wasnt impressed with JSU defense at all, maybe that was just a bad game though???.

Yeah, it was a very bad game, as was the fourth quarter against TTU. For a look at what the team's capable of, hit up espn3.com and watch the SEMO game, particularly the first half. The question is, though, which kind of performance will the coaches get out of the players for Wofford? Seems like everyone gets the message when it's do-or-die, as against SEMO.

Wofford concerns me; statistically, they look like SEMO with EKU's run defense. Add to that a highly ranked pass defense, and you start to see the reason for my concern. When we've gotten behind, Marques Ivory's arm and a talented receiving corps has been able to save us. I don't know if we can count on that this time.

tandemlax
November 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
For Wofford fans, how does your option attack compare to GSU's? I imagine W&M will spend some time this week and next preparing for the possibility of facing GSU on the 4th, and I'm just wondering how similar or different the two SoCon option offenses are. Thanks!

Cocky
November 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Our defense isn't good and our offensive maybe be worse. We are very lucky to even be in the playoffs and should be an easy win for Wofford. Wofford defense is almost as good as the steel curtain back in the day. JSU may not even score a field goal much less a TD.

OLDMAIN80
November 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Our defense isn't good and our offensive maybe be worse. We are very lucky to even be in the playoffs and should be an easy win for Wofford. Wofford defense is almost as good as the steel curtain back in the day. JSU may not even score a field goal much less a TD.

Best post of the thread so farxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

jaxstatealum
November 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cocky is right! Sadly we lose this game and do the OVC no favors. NOT because we don't have the talent - I'd put our kids up against anyones. We lose because we have an idiot for a head coach and a DC that would rather be at a buffet than watching film...

Still... I love the Gamecocks!

insideout08
November 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
For Wofford fans, how does your option attack compare to GSU's? I imagine W&M will spend some time this week and next preparing for the possibility of facing GSU on the 4th, and I'm just wondering how similar or different the two SoCon option offenses are. Thanks!

Not a Wofford fan, but...

Wofford has a great offensive line and a bruising fullback (Breitenstein). Plus, the QB (Allen) has really improved his play this year in his second season as starter. GSU's QB (Shaw) is also a big key to their success. He isn't nearly as fast as the GSU QBs of old like Gross, Hill, Williams, Foster, etc., but he seems to make the right read nearly every time.

As far as scheme goes, Wofford runs a lot out of the shotgun while Georgia Southern is exclusively in the traditional Paul Johnson style option (FB and 2 wingbacks).

Redbirdz
November 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Message to Wofford. We just really have some ticked off fans right now and rightly so after two losses that should never ever have happened. But come Dec. 4 things could be quite different.

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
in the event that GSU and JSU play, I wonder who had the bigger bid?

JSU02
November 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
in the event that GSU and JSU play, I wonder who had the bigger bid?

I dunno, but thats a very good question. The Anniston Star reported we bid 70,000 for the wofford game, but no mention of how much we bid for the quarter final (more than 70K I'm sure, 90-100????). Attendance avg between JSU and the real GSU is neck and neck (18,432@JSU, 19,110@GSU) JSU's Capacity = 24,000, but could probably cram a little over 25,000. GSU Capacity=18,000 plus A LOT of grass seating. Facility wise our new stadium wins hands down. But, as we all know, the NCAAs primary concern is who would bring in the most $$$$$.

proasu89
November 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Message to Wofford. We just really have some ticked off fans right now and rightly so after two losses that should never ever have happened. But come Dec. 4 things could be quite different.

Be very careful Wofford, the fans are pi$$ed xlolx

james_lawfirm
November 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I dunno, but thats a very good question. The Anniston Star reported we bid 70,000 for the wofford game, but no mention of how much we bid for the quarter final (more than 70K I'm sure, 90-100????). Attendance avg between JSU and the real GSU is neck and neck (18,432@JSU, 19,110@GSU) JSU's Capacity = 24,000, but could probably cram a little over 25,000. GSU Capacity=18,000 plus A LOT of grass seating. Facility wise our new stadium wins hands down. But, as we all know, the NCAAs primary concern is who would bring in the most $$$$$.

Yeah, but for the first round games over Thanksgiving weekend, you have to consider that since most students will be at home & many alums will be visiting in-laws, T'giving weekend will NOT be a great time for attending a football game. Practically guaranteed to be significantly lower than your season average. 2nd round games on Saturday should be better. I doubt 2nd round games on Friday night will be packed though.

JSU02
November 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but for the first round games over Thanksgiving weekend, you have to consider that since most students will be at home & many alums will be visiting in-laws, T'giving weekend will NOT be a great time for attending a football game. Practically guaranteed to be significantly lower than your season average. 2nd round games on Saturday should be better. I doubt 2nd round games on Friday night will be packed though.
Agreed. Kinda hard for students who live on campus to go to a game when they dorm they live in is closed for the Holiday weekend.:( We are expecting the largest crowd of the year for JSU's game against Wofford. It will be the first time all season where we aren't booked against a bammer or allbarn game. Hopefully 24,000+ xhurrayx

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I thought this game was in 2 weeks, not this weekend...?

JaxSinfonian
November 22nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah, but for the first round games over Thanksgiving weekend, you have to consider that since most students will be at home & many alums will be visiting in-laws, T'giving weekend will NOT be a great time for attending a football game. Practically guaranteed to be significantly lower than your season average.

I think you're right. Good thing we're not playing that weekend.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
The $35 club level ticket is the best deal in awhile.

JSU02
November 23rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
The $35 club level ticket is the best deal in awhile.

Yes, but only for those that already paid $500 for them in August. Otherwise its $125.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Yes, but only for those that already paid $500 for them in August. Otherwise its $125.
Maybe if you commit to next year they will let you buy them for $35 anyway?

JSU02
November 23rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Maybe if you commit to next year they will let you buy them for $35 anyway?
Well I did get mine for $35, but, you know, I didn't want the folks here to think we just gave away $35 club tickets to just ANYBODY;)

Fighting Cock
November 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Save your money. I had club level seats this year and it was a nightmarexbangx. All those people want to do is visit and watch au and ua on tv.If you yell they get mad. If you don't discuss au and ua nobody will talk to you. Nobody that has those seats gives a ---- about JSU. The red seat area where I sat was NOT cleaned from the first game. Finally before the SEMO game the area had been cleaned. I guess by the rain. At the Chatty game the lady next to me ask if I knew the ua score. When I told her I wouldn't pull for au or ua if the played the Russians the people in front of me left. All any one in that whole section is worried about is those other two teams.I refuse to get my old seats at the Wofford game or any other. As far as I am concerned all those so called gamecocks can stay home or go to He--.xthumbsdownx

JSU02
November 24th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Save your money. I had club level seats this year and it was a nightmarexbangx. All those people want to do is visit and watch au and ua on tv.If you yell they get mad. If you don't discuss au and ua nobody will talk to you. Nobody that has those seats gives a ---- about JSU. The red seat area where I sat was NOT cleaned from the first game. Finally before the SEMO game the area had been cleaned. I guess by the rain. At the Chatty game the lady next to me ask if I knew the ua score. When I told her I wouldn't pull for au or ua if the played the Russians the people in front of me left. All any one in that whole section is worried about is those other two teams.I refuse to get my old seats at the Wofford game or any other. As far as I am concerned all those so called gamecocks can stay home or go to He--.xthumbsdownx

I sit in the red seats and I yell and no one has ever told me not to do so. Yes there are some people who stay in the club level the entire game and watch other games, but I am not one of them. There are people in the club level who do not care about other teams at all and all 100% JSU. You just must not have found the cool people yet. xlolx

Redbirdz
November 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Geeze