PDA

View Full Version : Which conference's referees do you NOT want to see in the playoffs?

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM
All the smack going on seems to be mostly good-natured, so I thought I'd start a fun thread to look at something that we can all throw unabashed potshots at.

Let's say you're a playoff team (even if you're not). Which conference's zebras do you dread seeing calling your game, and why?

TheBisonator
November 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Missouri Valley refs are the absolute WORST.

Achilles Return
November 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Socon.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM
C'mon, you guys aren't saying why. :)

I'd have to say Great West, as the games I watched seemed to have flurries of flags, then large stretches of no calls, then more flurries. I'll take consistent bad calls over inconsistent random calls. Down with stochastic flagging!

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Socon.

You mean "Furman's"

;)

FargoBison
November 20th, 2010, 11:18 PM
MEAC

Redhawk2010
November 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I didn't know there was such thing as a *good* officiating crew ;)

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I didn't know there was such thing as a *good* officiating crew ;)

Oh, there is! You're Notre Dame and you were playing between 1995-2005 or so. (Seriously, could a team ever have more officials in their pocket? Was disgraceful).

FCS officials are sometimes the difference between winning and losing, and you want to have a crew that calls your game fairly and consistently (even if it's different than normal). Some conferences seem to have some... interesting crews.

Old Cat Fan
November 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/jeez.jpg

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
MEAC. Hands down. No contest. That referee crew is HORRID. I still remember ESPN commentators bashing that crew and the playoff commitee because the FCS used a turn based system (instead of rewarding crews for their officating performance throughout the playoffs) MEAC refs were next line to officate the next playoff game. Come to find out MEAC got the NC game and they didnt own the moment, the moment owned them.

grizwin
November 20th, 2010, 11:37 PM
the ones that call a safety on a deep kickoff lol... Has anyone ever seen that before this year in Missoula I highly doubt it

chattanoogamocs
November 20th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well don't ask for SEC officials...because all the SEC fans say their terrible.

Same goes for the Big 12 and Pac 10 and Big 10 and Big East.

:)

CID1990
November 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
SoCon. I have seen many games decided by the referees. Even the winning teams have legitimate gripes.

ToTheLeft
November 21st, 2010, 12:35 AM
MEAC

This. MEAC or SWAC. They call so many penalties and just call games poorly (check the stats for most penalized teams in the nation). Luckily, I doubt we'll see SWAC but we could see MEAC.

And ACC/Big South (We share refs in all sports. We have BBall refs who come to LU, then ref UNC/Duke Men's BBall a few days later, in fact, a crew that's frequently at LU was at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off) crews are usually not very solid. They tend to let plays go too long, since they are waiting for "replay"... which doesn't exist in the Big South.

JaxSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM
The OVC crew in Cookeville tonight was HORRIBLE. As with the EKU game, they didn't cost us the win - our coaching and defense did - but they were bad. The sizable JSU contingent obviously had a much better view of the action than the striped fellas did; the JSU crowd erupted several times on obvious holds that were missed, as well as one apparent pass interference late in the game. The clock also did not run several times when it should have. And apparently unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct calls are only chargeable to teams in red and white.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
MEAC

CAAisBOSS
November 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM
meac/big sky

Ud1Hens
November 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM
This is easy...the MEAC.

superman7515
November 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
MEAC

F'N Hawks
November 21st, 2010, 07:26 AM
From our experiences the Southland officials are unbelievably inept. The weirdest calls ever come in those games.

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM
The OVC refs are always bad when we lose, decent when we win...
(pretty much how this topic goes everywhere)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
The MEAC.

Second place would be the SoCon officials. I have watched GSU play a good many playoff games with non-SoCon officials and none of them are as bad as the SoCon's.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
Read my siggy.

JaxSinfonian
November 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
The OVC refs are always bad when we lose, decent when we win...
(pretty much how this topic goes everywhere)

The specifics have blurred in my mind in the intervening week, but I remember being dissatisfied with the crew calling the JSU-SEMO game as well. (Of course, maybe that's just because we were 11 seconds away from losing.(

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM
The specifics have blurred in my mind in the intervening week, but I remember being dissatisfied with the crew calling the JSU-SEMO game as well. (Of course, maybe that's just because we were 11 seconds away from losing.(

I am as guilty as anyone else in taking my frustration's aim at the referee's in "our" games...Definitely agree that there were two questionable PI non-calls last night -at the end of the game...I don't mean this to sound bad, but, it's nice to see TTU on the good side of questionable calls for once (when you lose a lot, you usually don't get the calls).