PDA

View Full Version : Make Your Pick: Payton Award Winner

cderry
November 20th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Link to the Payton Award watch list:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/fcsawards/index.aspx

Make your pick and explain why!

cderry
November 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'll start:

I'm a little biased but he has some of the best stats at his position:
Matt Barr, QB, WIU: 3079 pass yds, 26 pass TD, 5 INT, 407 rush yds, 5 rush TD, 163.4 passer rating

Go Apps
November 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
DeAndre Presley

cderry
November 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM
DeAndre Presley

He finished with more rushing yards and rushing TDs than Barr, but with nearly 800 fewer passing yards, fewer passing TDs and a worse passer rating.

cderry
November 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
He finished with more rushing yards and rushing TDs than Barr, but with nearly 800 fewer passing yards, fewer passing TDs and a worse passer rating.

Impressive rushing stats I do have to say: 753 rush yds and 11 rush TDs.

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM
No idea, I have not seen a single player in person that deserves it and have not seen enough FCS TV games to have a strong pick.

appfan2008
November 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I would vote for Deandre but honestly that is cuz i love the kid and dont know much about the rest of the "student athletes"

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I would vote for Deandre but honestly that is cuz i love the kid and dont know much about the rest of the "student athletes"

His stats are great but he did not wow me like Foster or Armanti did time after time, of course i've only seen him play once and that was not a big offensive game.

GateRaider63
November 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Nate Eachus. Because someone in this thread will have to give him some love at some point. To paraphrase TO, thats my [former] teammate, thats my [running]back.

He finished with 1,871 yards rushing and 22 total TD (21 rushing, 1 receiving). Say what you want about the offensive style of Colgate, his legs never stop moving and he makes something out of nothing on a lot of plays. It seems like every time the D has him stacked up he is able to drive ahead for 2-3 more yards.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Based on production per playing time, I think Taiwan Jones wins it. But using just overall numbers, he won't.

He played a cumulative 9 games this year and put up
1,344 yds and 11 TDs on 176 carries, for 7.6 ypc
325 yds and 3 TDs on 21 receptions, for 15.4 ypc
255 KOR yards, 28 PR yards
1,951 all-purpose

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
His stats are great but he did not wow me like Foster or Armanti did time after time, of course i've only seen him play once and that was not a big offensive game.

He was probably the frontrunner heading into the Georgia Southern game. Might not be a finalist now. xbawlingx

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2010, 11:57 PM
He was probably the frontrunner heading into the Georgia Southern game. Might not be a finalist now. xbawlingx

I'm actually working on my update now. Presley won't be in my personal top five or my projected top five. I will do two different lists showing who I believe the top five players for both awards are and a separate one showing how I think the vote could look. They will be very different as I stand by my evaluation that SIU CB Korey Lindsey is the best CB in FCS by a large margin. For those who saw him yesterday they threw to him four times. Of those throws the LB picked off the bad pass before Lindsey could get it, he picked one off, broke up another, and then slipped on one but would have easily had his second pick. Teams aren't testing him and when they do they aren't getting anything on the kid. I urge voters to stop simply looking at stats and ask around about these players. This kid is for real.

For what the EWU fan said, Taiwan Jones is the most explosive player of any on the Payton list. He might not finish in the top five this year but is my front runner to win it next year hands down.

ToTheLeft
November 21st, 2010, 12:07 AM
Mike Brown won't win it, but after racking up almost 500 yards of total offense in his final game this season, he certainly deserves some recognition.

854 rushing on 160 carries, 5.3 per carry, 9 TD's
223/351 passing (63.5%), 2956 yards, 23 TD's
4 catches, 20 yards

Almost 350 yards of offense per game!

So don't be so sure about TJ winning it next year. Mike will give him a run for his money. ;-)

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Mike Brown won't win it, but after racking up almost 500 yards of total offense in his final game this season, he certainly deserves some recognition.

854 rushing on 160 carries, 5.3 per carry, 9 TD's
223/351 passing (63.5%), 2956 yards, 23 TD's
4 catches, 20 yards

Almost 350 yards of offense per game!

So don't be so sure about TJ winning it next year. Mike will give him a run for his money. ;-)

Brown is another one. You can also mention Presley, Eachus, and McGhee as definite front runners for it next year.

Brown is a good all-around athlete like Jayson Foster was. He can be all-conference at receiver, running back, and quarterback. One reason I am so high on TJ is because I see things in him I saw in Deji Karim last year when I started projecting him a 5th-6th round pick in September before he became a known commodity with even the NFL. TJ has a chance to be special.

The big reason I mention TJ ahead of Brown as well is the fact that the Big South is not as loaded as the Big Sky in talent. I think with similar numbers people will feel like TJ did his against a higher level of competition week in and week out.

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
I'm going to start a poll for our posters to vote on Monday and post my outlook for both awards on Tuesday.

WIU02
November 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Matt Barr is sick. Can't sack the kid, and when you do blitz...he'll make you pay. Look for his go to guy, Lito Senatus to be playing on Sunday's next year.

CAAisBOSS
November 21st, 2010, 03:00 AM
grimes from wm does an incredible amount without a lot of help. a pleasure to watch

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM
grimes from wm does an incredible amount without a lot of help. a pleasure to watch

Grimes should be another favorite for next year. He probably won't get the hype some of the others will because he has been hurt but I fully expect him to have a big year.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
He won't win it, but I'd love to at least see Scott Riddle get a shout-out or something. He is the best passing quarterback in SoCon history and deserves some kind of recognition. He has rewritten many of the passing records and became the first QB in SoCon history to lead the conference in passing yards 4 straight years (only one other QB has led the conference for 3 straight years). He will be missed. I know he has about a 0% chance of winning, but still.

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Scott Riddle
3,231 yds. passing, 28 TD passes, only 6 picks, 66% completion rating. Holds every career SoCon passing stat (yes, I know the award is only for this year) and is the most prolific passer in league history. Most completions in FCS history. He won't win it (and really shouldn't in the end), but he should be in the conversation until the end.

AshevilleApp
November 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM

He did not finish very strong and does not deserve the award in my mind. Maybe next year.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM
Scott Riddle
3,231 yds. passing, 28 TD passes, only 6 picks, 66% completion rating. Holds every career SoCon passing stat (yes, I know the award is only for this year) and is the most prolific passer in league history. Most completions in FCS history. He won't win it (and really shouldn't in the end), but he should be in the conversation until the end.

Riddle is a great passer and I have seen this kid play since he was in high school at Eastern Randolph, but to me the Payton winner should still be playing in the playoffs and Elon stunk it up this year... Not too mention riddle throws damn near 50 passes a game, no quality wins and once he gets down he is down.. He will get picked up next year if there is a next year in the NFL, but not worthy of the Payton award.

bjtheflamesfan
November 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Im adding my name to the Mike Brown camp...he reminds me of Denard Robinson from Michigan in FBS. his ability to do things with the ball throwing and rushing are positively insane. he finished 91 yards short of being a 3000/1000 player this year (passing/rushing). If he isnt in the top 5 this year, I will just about guarantee that he will be one of the top players going into 2011.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Riddle is a great passer and I have seen this kid play since he was in high school at Eastern Randolph, but to me the Payton winner should still be playing in the playoffs and Elon stunk it up this year... Not too mention riddle throws damn near 50 passes a game, no quality wins and once he gets down he is down.. He will get picked up next year if there is a next year in the NFL, but not worthy of the Payton award.

That's why I said I know we won't win the award. I just want to see him get some recognition in any way, shape or form possible.

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'll totally be biased..Jeremy Moses....3868 yards, 34 tds, 4 picks..143.2 rating..

whoanellie
November 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM
Scott Riddle: poll every D- Coordinator and ask if they keyed on him?
now look at his career and this years stats http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2010&org=1068&player=16.
4 winning seasons from a doormat program.
playing the best of competition in FCS .