PDA

View Full Version : 3 Socon games that could have changed the playoff field

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I agree the CAA is the toughest conference, however had the outcome of 3 games this year for the Socon gone differently I think they could have gotten 5 (that's right, 5) teams into the playoffs.

As of now it seems that Wofford, ASU, and probably GSU will reach the playoffs this year.

I think that if:
GSU beaten Samford
Elon beaten Richmond
Chatty beaten Jacksonville State
(note: all these games were one score of each other)

The Socon would have had an 8-3 GSU, 7-4 Elon, and 7-4 Chattanooga all with losses to either FBS teams or playoff teams. Those are hard resumes to beat IMO. This is only the shoulda, coulda, woulda game. The CAA is top dog, but IMO the Socon is right behind it

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
or if UTC would have beaten Wofford today....same would apply.

whoanellie
November 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I would put the bizarre Elon/Wofford game into the mix as could have gone either way. No I have yet to see the so called fumbled at the goal line. And then throw in that "Hail Mary" We will play you this Wednesday or Thursday BofA field,,,, good luck Terr.
I agree the CAA is the toughest conference, however had the outcome of 3 games this year for the Socon gone differently I think they could have gotten 5 (that's right, 5) teams into the playoffs.

As of now it seems that Wofford, ASU, and probably GSU will reach the playoffs this year.

I think that if:
GSU beaten Samford
Elon beaten Richmond
Chatty beaten Jacksonville State
(note: all these games were one score of each other)

The Socon would have had an 8-3 GSU, 7-4 Elon, and 7-4 Chattanooga all with losses to either FBS teams or playoff teams. Those are hard resumes to beat IMO. This is only the shoulda, coulda, woulda game. The CAA is top dog, but IMO the Socon is right behind it

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM
If Chatty hadn't squandered huge leads to Appalachian and Jacksonville State...

elon77
November 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM
How about Chatty over ASU in the Beginning of the year. What effect would that have had on both teams seasons? If not that one, how about Chatty beating Elon?

woffordgrad94
November 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I would put the bizarre Elon/Wofford game into the mix as could have gone either way. No I have yet to see the so called fumbled at the goal line. And then throw in that "Hail Mary" We will play you this Wednesday or Thursday BofA field,,,, good luck Terr.

I saw the fumble...some eyes see only what they want to see. How about you stop crying and take your loss like a man? Wofford beat you fair and square...as for the Hail Mary, luck is part of the game too.

phoenix3
November 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I saw the fumble...some eyes see only what they want to see. How about you stop crying and take your loss like a man? Wofford beat you fair and square...as for the Hail Mary, luck is part of the game too.

I will not stop crying. Elon mistakes lost that game. Wofford certainly did not earn that win.

appfan2008
November 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
this is all fun and games but IF THIS HAD HAPPENED OR IF THAT HAD HAPPENED THEN THIS OR THAT WOULD HAPPEN... well guess what it DIDNT...

I am sorry... just sayin...!

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
this is all fun and games but IF THIS HAD HAPPENED OR IF THAT HAD HAPPENED THEN THIS OR THAT WOULD HAPPEN... well guess what it DIDNT...

I am sorry... just sayin...!

Did you just say that?

Well, maybe he did, and maybe he didn't, but if he didn't...

I find this season interesting, as there seems to be more top-to-bottom parity in all the major conferences - CAA, SoCon, MVFC and Big Sky all saw some wacky stuff this year. Who would've thought Nova would make us doubt they'd even be playoff bound until going on the road and beating Delaware today? What a wild, fun and crazy season it's been.

Eagle22
November 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Since we are talking "IFs" and hypothetical ... IF the SoCon officials would just call one holding call once in a blue moon to Brent Russell's favor, GSU *might* be sitting with a better record.

Guy has been mugged all season long. I was thinking about putting together a slideshow to send the SoCon just for the photos I've taken of Russell being double and triple teamed with holds, but I ran out of space on the 2.0GB memory card ;)

(I'm sure that there have been other SoCon DL's who've encountered the same, before I receive hate mail and negative rep !)