PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at YOU App State

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Yesterday I called the Buddy Songy sports talk radio show in Baton Rouge to say I would not be shocked if Appalachian State beats Florida. I said I wouldn't bet on it, that I'd put the odds at about 5:1 that Florida will win but that I wouldn't be shocked. Mr. Songy said that if Appalachian State beats Florida he will give me and my wife a free dinner at Sullivans Steak House in Baton Rouge.

We're talking about a dinner that would normally cost in the hundreds of dollars here and a very happy wife.

Geaux App State.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Cool. Did they get your contact info?

AppMAN04
November 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM
awesome! http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/10743/7ebd32107421662.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/7ebd32107421662)

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Cool. Did they get your contact info?

No but I'm a regular caller and I'll just call back if it happens. Hope it does. To me, going in, it's a more likely upset than James Madison over Virginia Tech was. A lot more likeky than App State beating Michigan in 2007 was too. Florida can't get out of its own way on offense. I mean, if they happen to play well like they did against Kentucky it'll be all over for App State because they still have great athletes. But so far this season the Gators playing well like that is the rare exception rather than the rule. Even when they've won it's usually been painful to watch. Plus they don't have the kind of physical offensive approach LSU did when App State last went down to Baton Rouge and just ran right at and over the Mountaineers. It's a better type of matchup, I think.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hope so!!

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Good luck today, APP.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
did he also dis-credit your prediciton like most in the media would?

a not so good Florida team in the SEC is still much better than Michigan was in 2007,
I hope you guys at least scare the beer out of em

AshevilleApp
November 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hope Jerry Moore posted the "cupcakes" article from ESPN

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/mallory_rubin/11/20/week-12-storylines/index.html?eref=sihp

Guess
November 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
did he also dis-credit your prediciton like most in the media would?

a not so good Florida team in the SEC is still much better than Michigan was in 2007,
I hope you guys at least scare the beer out of em

Why is this Florida team so much better than the gator squad that lost to Michigan in 2007?

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Everyone in FCS (other than a few Elon and Georgia Southern fans) hopes you get your free dinner. I agree with you, this is a good matchup, at the right time for ASU.

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM
It will all depend how the game goes early on, imo. The past couple of years against ECU and LSU... we came out really flat and the game got out of hand really fast. We were almost able to come back at the end of the ECU game, but getting down early was too much. At Michigan we had that ~70 yard touchdown to Dexter Jackson on our first drive. I think that created a lot of confidence in the team. I think the fact that it's at the end of the season instead of the beginning of the season will help us here. We've started our last few games red hot (even the loss to Georgia Southern). If we can come out of the gates like Wofford, we can keep it interesting for sure.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Why is this Florida team so much better than the gator squad that lost to Michigan in 2007?

That's a good question. Remember, that Michigan team beat a much better Florida team than this one in a bowl game later that season. In fact they beat them a lot worse than the score indicated as Michigan fumbled the ball away twice inside the Florida 5. I think it's reasonable to say that Michigan was better at the end of that season than it was at the beginning. But that Michigan team had a lot of talent and was strong at the quarterback position. This year's Florida team can't walk and chew gum at the same time most days on offense plus the Gators are probably pretty demoralized at this point.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'll bet yah a Happy Meal for you and The Boss xsmileyclapx You have the greatest bet of all time - you have nothing to lose (except the road trip to Boone to claim my bet!)

Florida would have to totally implode with 6 turnovers and 100 yards in penalties (we'll take it xlolx) --- but we just don't match up very well with them (especially with Legree out). I have no problem with shocking the college football world, but the truth is Appalachian has nothing to gain and everything to lose before gearing up for the playoffs.

May the guys play hard and have fun at the Swamp -- in the Real World this is a 3-4 TD game and we simply represent well-payed Gator Bait. When things get out of hand, pull the starters and give the young turks some quality PT. Come home healthy (and cash that check).

And I prefer Gators to be smoked ... xpeacex

Yesterday I called the Buddy Songy sports talk radio show in Baton Rouge to say I would not be shocked if Appalachian State beats Florida. I said I wouldn't bet on it, that I'd put the odds at about 5:1 that Florida will win but that I wouldn't be shocked. Mr. Songy said that if Appalachian State beats Florida he will give me and my wife a free dinner at Sullivans Steak House in Baton Rouge.

We're talking about a dinner that would normally cost in the hundreds of dollars here and a very happy wife.

Geaux App State.

KiddBrewer
November 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Appalachian is +24 on www.bodog.com this morning.

who's taking that bet?

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I am seriously conflicted on this one. I either want App State to (excuse me while I swallow hard and wince in pain) win, or UF to hang 100 on them. A win over a FBS squad is good for all of the FCS teams. It lends some clout and exposure to ALL of our programs. However, I have often said, "If you see me in a turban, App St must be playing the Taliban!"

phoenixphanatic21
November 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM

They're not. This Gator team is not a good one. Plain and simple. As much as I don't like App, I really think if they play like they did last week against Wofford, they will pull off the upset.

phan
November 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Southernpigskin picked App to pull off the upset.

AppChicago
November 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry, John. Looks like you got stuck with the check.

AppAlum2003
November 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
In no way was App ever going to win this game, but it could have been a lot less embarrassing if not for stupid penalties and poor tackling. App has had numerous false starts immediately after big offensive plays - great way to kill any momentum.

soccerguy315
November 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
thought app would do better than this, oh well!

still dangerous

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM

just a hunch

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
just a hunch

xeyebrowx

regardless of today's game, the 2007 team was clearly better than this years team. florida fans/players are calling this year's team one of the most disappointing ever. im pretty sure that the beating FU gave ASU didn't salvage their disappointing season.

Guess
November 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
just a hunch

I get your point.

gsu_paintballer
November 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Any team with Armanti Edwards is much better than any team without him. It's pretty simple.

Guess
November 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Any team with Armanti Edwards is much better than any team without him. It's pretty simple.
Except da panthers.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Except da panthers.

That's because "da panthers" haven't played him but two snaps in the RS.