PDA

View Full Version : Mercer University BOT approves football

UAalum72
November 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
http://www2.mercer.edu/News/Articles/20 ... otball.htm (http://www2.mercer.edu/News/Articles/2010/101119Football.htm)
Mercer Board of Trustees Approves Reinstatement of Intercollegiate Football

Mercer will resume FB in 2013 for the first time since 1941, has applied for Pioneer League membership

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Great! Atlantic Sun football might be around the corner.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Congratulations Bears.

Detroit Mercy, you're (still) on the clock...

danefan
November 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I think ASun football is dependent on Kennesaw State - if they opt for scholarship football then I don't think ASun is going to push for a league of its own. If they want non-scholly then it only makes sense.

Anyone know which way Kennesaw State is leaning?

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I think ASun football is dependent on Kennesaw State - if they opt for scholarship football then I don't think ASun is going to push for a league of its own. If they want non-scholly then it only makes sense.

Anyone know which way Kennesaw State is leaning?

The stuff I read talked about them needing $5-6 in start up money...I am going to assume you don't spend $5 mil for a non-schollie team.

danefan
November 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The stuff I read talked about them needing $5-6 in start up money...I am going to assume you don't spend $5 mil for a non-schollie team.

I don't know - equipment, coaches, practice facilities, etc..... $5-6 million doesn't sound all that crazy to me to start up a non-scholly team. In fact I'd say its kind of low to start a scholarship team. Most scholarship teams average about $3 million or so a year on scholarships, coaches, recruiting, etc.. That doesn't include buying all new equipment, uniforms.

I really have no clue. Anyone from ODU, Ga. St. or Lamar have any idea what the startup costs were?

chattanoogamocs
November 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I don't know - equipment, coaches, practice facilities, etc..... $5-6 million doesn't sound all that crazy to me to start up a non-scholly team. In fact I'd say its kind of low to start a scholarship team. Most scholarship teams average about $3 million or so a year on scholarships, coaches, recruiting, etc.. That doesn't include buying all new equipment, uniforms.

I really have no clue. Anyone from ODU, Ga. St. or Lamar have any idea what the startup costs were?

No, I assure you, it is crazy to think it costs $5 million to start a non schollie team. :)

Campbell University, near Raleigh, N.C., started playing in 2008. Spokesman Stan Cole said Campbell's start-up cost was between $1.5 million and $2 million.

And the Pioneer league is non-scholarship, which lowers costs. Cole said Campbell's football program would cost an additional $1.4 million a year if it added the 63 scholarships it takes to play at the most competitive level of the Football Championship Subdivision (formally Division I-AA).

(and it should be noted, tuition is $20K a year at Campbell, it is only $4,600 in-state and $18,000 out of state at KSU)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/west-volusia/2010/10/23/football-revival-at-stetson.html

But, I was partially wrong in my numbers too. The student fee alone (which the students approved this week) will raise 5-6 million a year. They want 8-12 milllion for the start up.

About 55.5 percent of the 7,358 students voting in a seven-day online survey last week approved the $100 per semester fee increase to fund the football program and to expand women’s sports.

The fee, which would take effect in fall 2012, is expected to generate $5 million to $6 million a year.

Papp equated the affirmative fee vote to a halftime lead. “It’s nice to have, but at the end of the day it doesn’t mean all that much,” he said.

Before football can be played, the university must begin an 18- to 30-month campaign to raise the $8 million to $12 million in start-up costs. If that's successful, the university would present a business plan — which would include a formal request for the $100 fee — to the state’s board of regents.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/kennesaw-state-students-approve-743667.html

UAalum72
November 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'd think scholarships are a continuing expense, not startup costs. They'll have to do something about a stadium - Bear Field, home of Mercer men's and women's soccer and men's lacrosse, has "Comfortable seating for nearly 300 fans".