PDA

View Full Version : Top Offensive Linemen

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM
This is one of the toughest positions to gauge and many ignore it but here is my list of top guys. This is not an NFL list but just a top list of college players.

OT Jeff Bolton, Montana State, Sr.
OT Brad Roades, Montana, Sr.
OG Matt Magerko, James Madison, Sr.
OG Chad Motte, Georgia Southern, Sr.
C Antonio Narcisse, Portland State, Sr.
OT Willie Colon, Hofstra, Sr.
OG Rocky Hanni, Eastern Washington, Soph.
OG Lawrence Figueroa, Montana State, Sr.
C Ben Lazarski, Maine, Sr.

This is not my All-American Team but just a few names. This is not my final list. Just a list of some players who would be considered among the top.

89Hen
May 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM

BSC and A10

Proud Griz Man
May 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125

Sorry Swami, but I am confused after you told me in an earlier thread you said it was not a great year for linemen in the BSC. "Top 1-AA prospects for 2006". :confused: Or are they predominantly underclassmen?
There is no Roos in the bunch, but those players are good.

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 04:14 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125

Sorry Swami, but I am confused after you told me in an earlier thread you said it was not a great year for linemen in the BSC. "Top 1-AA prospects for 2006". :confused: Or are they predominantly underclassmen?
There is no Roos in the bunch, but those players are good.

Collins was not a 1st team all-american but if you went by where he got drafted he should be. Draft status and all-american honors are different. I just got through 4 leagues and named some guys from those. I will add some more names. Like I said just a starting list. The 1st team BSC center is way too short for the NFL but is one of the best in I-AA.

mikebigg
May 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
This is one of the toughest positions to gauge and many ignore it but here is my list of top guys. This is not an NFL list but just a top list of college players.

This is not my All-American Team but just a few names. This is not my final list. Just a list of some players who would be considered among the top.

Grambling's LT, Jonathan Banks (6'8" 360) has all the skills and tools in the world. A personal acquaintance, he admitted to me that he didn't have the type season in 2004 that he had in 2003. He promises to be more dedicated to his conditioning pre-camp and wants to get ready for his "audition" season. I'm biased cuz I know him personally, but he is a talented guy who dominates (in spurts). I told him that he has to be more intense on every down and not just when he feels the need to "prove a point" after getting beat on a run play or in pass protection.

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Grambling's LT, Jonathan Banks (6'8" 360) has all the skills and tools in the world. A personal acquaintance, he admitted to me that he didn't have the type season in 2004 that he had in 2003. He promises to be more dedicated to his conditioning pre-camp and wants to get ready for his "audition" season. I'm biased cuz I know him personally, but he is a talented guy who dominates (in spurts). I told him that he has to be more intense on every down and not just when he feels the need to "prove a point" after getting beat on a run play or in pass protection.

If he drops some weight down to 340 or so and gets in better shape that might help. If he is in shpe and quicker then he could be an all-american. I wish him well. The NFL will come a calling if he shows to be in good shape.

Tribe4SF
May 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Others.

Cody Morris, OG, Jr., W&M
Patrick Mulloy, C, Sr., W&M
Corey Davis,OT,Jr., JMU

eagleskins
May 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM

I would put Lance Wayne ahead of Motte.

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I would put Lance Wayne ahead of Motte.

Actually I agree but Motte will go ahead of Wayne for 2 reasons this year. Wayne is younger for one and two he is about the 3rd center in I-AA. Motte is probably a top 5 OG and the top 4 guards will make the 1st and 2nd team. Wayne would be a 3rd team All-American based on his rating.

mikebigg
May 10th, 2005, 09:46 PM
If he drops some weight down to 340 or so and gets in better shape that might help. If he is in shpe and quicker then he could be an all-american. I wish him well. The NFL will come a calling if he shows to be in good shape.

I agree...has all the tools and ability...and he also has the temperment to dominate (at times). He has to develop the mentality to dominate every snap and not just when he feels the need to prove a point. But that stems from not being in shape so he paces himself. That won't get it.

We have a new FOOTBALL ONLY Strength and Conditioning coach who will hopefully get the entire squad in better physical condition and mentality. But it begins with Jonathan. Hate to compare siblings but his younger brother Jason Banks plays DE/DT and works like a man possessed in the weight room and with his conditioning. With Jon it always came so easy so he tends to not work hard enuff in the offseason. But I stay on his case when I see him...and he takes it well and agrees. Hopefully he will push himself to the next level...it will help Grambling and his financial future. I also think he can play in the NFL.

umassfan
May 11th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Brent Caldwell OL UMass... will prob be one of the top 5 OLinemen in the A10.

Josh
May 11th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Brent Caldwell OL UMass... will prob be one of the top 5 OLinemen in the A10.

Syracuse transfer, 6'3, and could be one of the top tackles indeed. I agree.

blueballs
May 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Actually I agree but Motte will go ahead of Wayne for 2 reasons this year. Wayne is younger for one and two he is about the 3rd center in I-AA. Motte is probably a top 5 OG and the top 4 guards will make the 1st and 2nd team. Wayne would be a 3rd team All-American based on his rating.

That's a reasonable analysis and accurate.

Watch out for a guy named Marcello Estrada. He was slated to start at LG for GSU last year but had a season ending injury. He came back this spring and promptly beat out all conference guard Travlis Sims on the depth chart. The guy is a beast and with Wayne, Sims, and Motte, gives GSU a dynamite middle of the OL.

Ronbo
May 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Here is a future star for Montana. In 2004 he was offered a full ride to Washington and chose Montana because he could play for 4 seasons. He backed up at Tackle his true freshman season and started the last 3-4 games.

Soph Cody Balogh 6'7" 305 lbs

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/roster_images/Football_Men/balogh.jpg

At Steilacoom HS, Steilacoom, Wa.

As a senior he was first team all-league on offense and defense ... named Tacoma News Tribune first team all-state team ... selected to play in the Washington All-Star Game ... named a 2003 Red Chip Recruit ... Steilacoom, a school located south of Tacoma, was 10-2 in 2003 and advanced to the state quarterfinals ... also first team all-league both ways as a junior

Josh
May 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Here is a future star for Montana. In 2004 he was offered a full ride to Washington and chose Montana because he could play for 4 seasons. He backed up at Tackle his true freshman season and started the last 3-4 games.

Soph Cody Balogh 6'7" 305 lbs

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/roster_images/Football_Men/balogh.jpg

At Steilacoom HS, Steilacoom, Wa.

As a senior he was first team all-league on offense and defense ... named Tacoma News Tribune first team all-state team ... selected to play in the Washington All-Star Game ... named a 2003 Red Chip Recruit ... Steilacoom, a school located south of Tacoma, was 10-2 in 2003 and advanced to the state quarterfinals ... also first team all-league both ways as a junior

I like him a lot. He could be a surprise All-American pick this year if he is given the playing time. He has great ability.

DUPFLFan
May 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Dave Pammer is a lineman for Drake that you might want to take a look at. He is a natural tackle who started as a center last year during Drake's 10-2 season.

Husky Alum
May 20th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Hey Swami - Northeastern's Ryan Gibbons was one of your Top 50 NFL prospects but doesn't make your list? Care to elaborate???

Josh
May 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hey Swami - Northeastern's Ryan Gibbons was one of your Top 50 NFL prospects but doesn't make your list? Care to elaborate???

That was just a few names, not my top list. Gibbons is an all-american candidate who you will see in my top 20 tackle list.

youwouldno
May 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
The interior of Furman's O-line will be extremely good. Covington, Stewart, Laggis... 2 All-American caliber guys and another all-conferece. Tackle's more of a question but there's talent there.

LBPop
May 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Tell me about the sophomore, Hanni. Pretty special to be that good that early. Usually the big guys need to mature more than smaller skill players.

eaglefan452
May 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM

That is sound reasoning, I hope to hell that both stay healthy this year to anchor a somewhat young O-line.