PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh adds OOC games to 2011 Schedule

ngineer
November 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Heard at one of the pregame luncheons today that Lehigh will be opening the season next year at Monmouth and then returning the follow week for the home opener against New Hampshire. May also be making a trip to Central Connecticut St. as the second part of the series from 2009. Harvard off the schedule, so a new Ivy will be replacing the Crimson, no word yet on who that will be.

lehidude
November 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
In the interest of keeping with the recent trend of scheduling some difficult OOC matchups, the only Ivy that would intrigue me would be Penn.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Harvard off the schedule, so a new Ivy will be replacing the Crimson, no word yet on who that will be.

Princeton stays on the schedule, however.
http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46859&SPID=4263&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=205032926

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Heard at one of the pregame luncheons today that Lehigh will be opening the season next year at Monmouth and then returning the follow week for the home opener against New Hampshire. May also be making a trip to Central Connecticut St. as the second part of the series from 2009. Harvard off the schedule, so a new Ivy will be replacing the Crimson, no word yet on who that will be.

If true, that is great to hear! It would be nice to get someone at HOME.

NHwildEcat
November 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM
So from the sounds of this if the UNH game against Lehigh stays the second weekend (Sept. 10) then UNH opens up with 2 straight road games...that would be interesting.

Doc QB
November 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Personally, I would like to see Lehigh only schedule one team from each OOC locale, and if it does double up, try to get more CAA teams. Although my theory is untested as of yet, I think playing up against 'Nova and UNH earlier this year helps them late in year, maybe into playoffs. And, with no offense intended to the NEC (which we seem to be ranked lower than as a league), I think solid performances against CAA teams is what will help us get some better recognition and maybe Top 25 votes when a PL team is playing well. So I think 2011 schedule is not a solid as 2010.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I don't want to sound disappointed or anything, but I'd be thrilled to hear that we've gotten an FBS team on the schedule: Duke, Army, Navy, Boston College, Northwestern, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Temple, UConn....

Imagine what that would do on campus, it would really jolt things over there.

RichH2
November 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
FBS opponent may be in the future depending on Dec meeting.UNH and Monmouth not bad. Penn would be nice but unlikely unless they call Joe.

IMHO, a nice OOC would be 2 Ivies, 1 NEC and 1 CAA. If we get schollies and sufficient counters an FBS every other yr .

LUHawker
November 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM
This a boring schedule. Monmouth and CCSU are ok as 1 per year, but only if we have other interesting games. We need to get something scheduled with the SoCon and MVC. I think we could easily schedule a game with Elon and would like to see that return trip from Wofford; Citadel should also be easy addition.

Hopefully with Schollies we see Army, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Duke, etc.

RichH2
November 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Money games are nice and perhaps a recruiting tool first I would like to see what PL does and then what Andy and his staff can do with it. They have recruited quite well and built a very solid squad but not one that can successfully compete yet with top FCS teams or a FBS team . A FBS game for 2013 or 14 schedule would be great

ngineer
November 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
This a boring schedule. Monmouth and CCSU are ok as 1 per year, but only if we have other interesting games. We need to get something scheduled with the SoCon and MVC. I think we could easily schedule a game with Elon and would like to see that return trip from Wofford; Citadel should also be easy addition.

Hopefully with Schollies we see Army, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Duke, etc.

We cannot 'easily' do that because those teams are looking to fill their OOC schedule with money-makers and 'playing up' with ACC and SEC schools. Unless we get scholarships, which wouldn't kick in until 2012 anyway, we're left filling our schedule with IL, NEC, PFL, and maybe BS. I also hope the IL team replacing Harvard will be Penn, but I doubt it. Bagnoli dropped us when Penn started playing Villanova every year saying he didn't want to play the both of us each year. It impacts his bonus potential by scheduling OOC schools that could actually beat the Quackers. I won't be surprised to see us playing Columbia, Brown or Dartmouth as we haven't played those guys in many years.

CFBfan
November 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I don't want to sound disappointed or anything, but I'd be thrilled to hear that we've gotten an FBS team on the schedule: Duke, Army, Navy, Boston College, Northwestern, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Temple, UConn....

until you got your butts whipped!!
nice 2010 season in a subpar PL this year with losses against "much less than FBS" teams......

lehidude
November 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
nice 2010 season in a subpar PL this year with losses against "much less than FBS" teams......

Our 2 losses came from the upper half of the CAA, and you would be hard pressed to make a convincing argument that the CAA is "much less than FBS."

CFBfan
November 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Our 2 losses came from the upper half of the CAA, and you would be hard pressed to make a convincing argument that the CAA is "much less than FBS."

31 - 0 loss to UNH who is 6 and 4 including losses to Maine, W&M and URI
35 - 0 loss to Nova who is also 6 and 4 including losses to W&M, and URI! and NH

C'Mon Man!!!

lehidude
November 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
35 - 0 loss to Nova who is also 6 and 4 including losses to W&M, and URI! and NH

C'Mon Man!!!

Villanova was a MUCH BETTER team with a healthy Szczur, as was the case here.

New Hampshire playing at home after 2 tough losses? Not an easy game either. By the way it was 31-10.

LUHawker
November 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM

WTF, CFB? We're talking about scheduling variety, which keeps interest high. LU has played some lower level FBS in the past which were good for the program.

CFBfan
November 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
WTF, CFB? We're talking about scheduling variety, which keeps interest high. LU has played some lower level FBS in the past which were good for the program.

i understand LU and I like that you're scheduling "up" I would just be concerned that excitement turns to disapointment and lack of interest if you get whipped
I just don't know that this year was a very good year for the PL and while you clearly had success and I don't want to rain on that success I'm not sure this year should be viewed as a spring board to take on bigger programs
in email and on boards unlike face to face the tone of a statement or comment is easily mis read and I'm sure my friendly jabs are.....I am a fan!!

downbythebeach
November 19th, 2010, 07:16 AM
We haven't scheduled a PL team outside of G-town........well, probably in my lifetime......
I wonder why
We'll let you win.......lol

NHwildEcat
November 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM

C'Mon Man!!!

CFB, while UNH was upset by two lower tiered CAA squads in URI and Maine they also beat all (but W&M) the other teams they played in the CAA which is the toughest conference in the tneitre country. So while UNH did take Lehigh to the cleaner, Lehigh did play a very good team. UNH is quite dangerous and with a win this weekend you will see them in the national tournament and you will take notice of how powerful this team can be when they are rolling.

I look forward to UNH traveling to Lehigh next season.

Also, FYI I was watching Conan last night and I saw a guy wearing a Lehigh shirt!

CFBfan
November 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
CFB, while UNH was upset by two lower tiered CAA squads in URI and Maine they also beat all (but W&M) the other teams they played in the CAA which is the toughest conference in the tneitre country. So while UNH did take Lehigh to the cleaner, Lehigh did play a very good team. UNH is quite dangerous and with a win this weekend you will see them in the national tournament and you will take notice of how powerful this team can be when they are rolling.

I look forward to UNH traveling to Lehigh next season.

Also, FYI I was watching Conan last night and I saw a guy wearing a Lehigh shirt!

yes, i understand and if you do make the tournament and happen to meet LU you would clean their clock.
what i was trying to say originaly was that if i were LU i would be careful about getting excited to play a FBS team based on this years results (which seemingly has LU fans pounding their chests) as the PL was rather weak and they lost to 2 FCS OCC programs.....

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I'm sure not everyone agrees, but knowing the Patriot League, the idea here will be to get some of these games at home, in Patriot venues. I know it seems bizarre right now (i.e., Villanova doesn't get Temple at home, why should Lehigh?) but I think that's what the league will push for in the not too distant future. I'll bet my paycheck that a Lehigh-Temple game would sell more tickets at Goodman than it would at the Linc.

Now if Bucknell decides to renew its old rivalry with Penn State, that's another story . . . .

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I'm sure not everyone agrees, but knowing the Patriot League, the idea here will be to get some of these games at home, in Patriot venues. I know it seems bizarre right now (i.e., Villanova doesn't get Temple at home, why should Lehigh?) but I think that's what the league will push for in the not too distant future. I'll bet my paycheck that a Lehigh-Temple game would sell more tickets at Goodman than it would at the Linc.

Now if Bucknell decides to renew its old rivalry with Penn State, that's another story . . . .

None of those will travel to a Patriot League team. To think otherwise is seriously dreaming.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
None of those will travel to a Patriot League team. To think otherwise is seriously dreaming.

I'm guessing this one is out of the picture, too.

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/images/msf7.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Sure it seems far-fetched at the moment but the Patriot schools aren't going to schedule FBS games for the payout alone. The principal focus is always to enhance the student experience and to provide a venue for dedicated alumni. If scholarships come to the Patriot as expected, the league will be very careful about which FBS schools will wind up on its schedules. We'll see what happens.

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sure it seems far-fetched at the moment but the Patriot schools aren't going to schedule FBS games for the payout alone. The principal focus is always to enhance the student experience and to provide a venue for dedicated alumni. If scholarships come to the Patriot as expected, the league will be very careful about which FBS schools will wind up on its schedules. We'll see what happens.

Uh, ok. I'm sorry, but in the current landscape, it doesn't matter how careful they are...no FBS team will travel to a Patriot League team. Make that almost any FCS team. First, nearly all the conferences have by-laws that prohibit it. Second, it makes zero sense for an FBS team to do that, financially and image-wise.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Uh, ok. I'm sorry, but in the current landscape, it doesn't matter how careful they are...no FBS team will travel to a Patriot League team. Make that almost any FCS team. First, nearly all the conferences have by-laws that prohibit it. Second, it makes zero sense for an FBS team to do that, financially and image-wise.

Most FBS team are strictly PROHIBITED to play at an FCS school; so if Bogus really thinks the PL has ANY chance to get a Duke, BC or even Temple team to play in Hamilton or Allentown, he should probably schedule a visit with a neurosurgeon ASAP.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Most FBS team are strictly PROHIBITED to play at an FCS school; so if Bogus really thinks the PL has ANY chance to get a Duke, BC or even Temple team to play in Hamilton or Allentown, he should probably schedule a visit with a neurosurgeon ASAP.

He should probably do that anyway. After all, he seems to think Lafayette is somehow better than Lehigh. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM

He should probably do that anyway. After all, he seems to think Lafayette is somehow better than Lehigh. xlolx

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM

There are few, if any bylaws that speak to scheduling minimums at the major conferences--the assumption is that Michigan or Texas will never need to go anywhere they don't want to. (For example, Notre Dame has never even played a I-AA school. Ever.) Teams know that anything other than I-AA games at home is a negative in ticket revenues.

The secondary reason is that 95% of I-AA schools lack a facility capable of hosting a crowd to make it revenue-friendly. You can count on one hand the number of I-AA facilities that would attract the kind of crowds that would make it financially viable for a I-A team to give up a home date to play there. (FWIW, Army had signed for a game at Yale in 2012 but backed out because it had a better offer to play an opponent at home.)

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
There are few, if any bylaws that speak to scheduling minimums at the major conferences--the assumption is that Michigan or Texas will never need to go anywhere they don't want to. (For example, Notre Dame has never even played a I-AA school. Ever.) Teams know that anything other than I-AA games at home is a negative in ticket revenues.

The secondary reason is that 95% of I-AA schools lack a facility capable of hosting a crowd to make it revenue-friendly. You can count on one hand the number of I-AA facilities that would attract the kind of crowds that would make it financially viable for a I-A team to give up a home date to play there. (FWIW, Army had signed for a game at Yale in 2012 but backed out because it had a better offer to play an opponent at home.)

True, but the smaller conferences (where a team might entertain travelling to an FCS) do have by-laws in place. Obviously there's no question the major conference teams won't do that, based on revenue alone. The Army deal with Yale is an interesting one though. I think the Ivies are a different deal than what we are talking about. The Yale bowl can hold how many?

Go...gate
November 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM

So Lehigh and Colgate play at Monmouth next year.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
So Lehigh and Colgate play at Monmouth next year.

Yep, and Monmouth's other non-conf game is @ Villanova! A very good schedule for the Hawks.

UAalum72
November 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM
True, but the smaller conferences (where a team might entertain travelling to an FCS) do have by-laws in place. Obviously there's no question the major conference teams won't do that, based on revenue alone. The Army deal with Yale is an interesting one though. I think the Ivies are a different deal than what we are talking about. The Yale bowl can hold how many?
Yale holds 60,000, Franklin Field (Penn) 52,000, and Harvard 30,000. All the other Ivies are under 30K. On their board they also talk about scheduling 'Division 1' schools - the same list of usual suspects mentioned above, but don't seem to realize that only HYPenn have even a prayer of a home game (and Harvard only because they're Harvard).

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM
The only reason Army has tentatively agreed to play at Yale in 2014, is to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Yale Bowl.
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062105aaa.html

Yale couldn't even get the planned 2010 game at West Point, do anyone really think that 2012 and 2014 games are happening?

FBS teams just aren't playing on the road at FCS stadiums, period. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM

That's exactly why we'd do it

ngineer
November 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Confirmed today that Yale visits Goodman Stadium on October 1. Athletics Partnership Golf Outing will be the day before at Saucon Valley CC.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Confirmed today that Yale visits Goodman Stadium on October 1. Athletics Partnership Golf Outing will be the day before at Saucon Valley CC.

We get Yale in Easton two weeks later. No athletics golf outing for us, though, I'm sure. Rumor is they're having a puppet show instead. We have Harvard, Yale and Penn next year, so no one can accuse us of slouching Ivy.

van
November 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Wow, another 2-9 year for Lafayette!

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Wow, another 2-9 year for Lafayette!

Somebody decided a few months ago that we are no longer a premier engineering and science undergraduate institution. We're an art school now. Yep, and with all the trimmings, too. They're having puppet shows. And throwing paint at the walls. I heard somebody went to a museum or something, I dunno.

Anyhow, 2-9 looks about right next year. We'll lose all the Ivy games and lose to NDSU and Stony Brook. Maybe we can beat Bucknell and Georgetown, but you never know.

My theory is that we'll get scholarships but Lafayette won't allow the coaches to tell anyone we have scholarships. Don't laugh.

hawkineer
November 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Somebody decided a few months ago that we are no longer a premier engineering and science undergraduate institution. We're an art school now. Yep, and with all the trimmings, too. They're having puppet shows. And throwing paint at the walls. I heard somebody went to a museum or something, I dunno.

Anyhow, 2-9 looks about right next year. We'll lose all the Ivy games and lose to NDSU and Stony Brook. Maybe we can beat Bucknell and Georgetown, but you never know.

My theory is that we'll get scholarships but Lafayette won't allow the coaches to tell anyone we have scholarships. Don't laugh.

I know your obviously close to the football program. How can the LC fans and alumni not be screaming to the rafters about allowing the football program to deteriorate after putting so much money back into the facilities?

Except for the lack of rest room facilities, Fisher Field is a great place to watch a game (once every two years) :). The program was clearly on the right path. I don't get it.xsmhx You would think that the AD would have learned something from what happened to the basketball program when they were slow to react.

ngineer
November 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM
We get Yale in Easton two weeks later. No athletics golf outing for us, though, I'm sure. Rumor is they're having a puppet show instead. We have Harvard, Yale and Penn next year, so no one can accuse us of slouching Ivy.

No question about that. I assume we have our usual meet up with Princeton, this time in NJ, so with Monmouth, New Hampshire, Central Connecticut State and the two Ivies, we're set (also assuming Fordham is still there for at least one more year). Looks like only 5 home games, again.

Keenan
November 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Liberty @ Lehigh 09/24/11
Lehigh @ Liberty 2012

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Lehigh @ Liberty 2012

If this is true Lehigh is not screwing around with their OOC schedule! Bring on the scholarships!!!

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
If this is true Lehigh is not screwing around with their OOC schedule! Bring on the scholarships!!!

Try to get Liberty to bring their marching band. They're quite good.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Try to get Liberty to bring their marching band. They're quite good.

I remember the game at Lafayette, I was there. The only non-Lehigh game where I saw the visiting stands filled. They have a great atmosphere, and they export it to other schools. I hope this is true, too.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Lehigh @ Liberty 2012

Great! I was wondering if we'd ever get you guys back on the schedule after we visited in 2004 (Lehigh 34-16). Hope the weather is great. 2011 is looking good--6 home games and four with UNH, Liberty,Yale and Lafayette. Other two will be Holy Cross and Georgetown I presume. With good weather, attendance should make a rebound.

Bogus Megapardus
November 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I remember the game at Lafayette, I was there. The only non-Lehigh game where I saw the visiting stands filled. They have a great atmosphere, and they export it to other schools. I hope this is true, too.

The difference is, the University promotes and provides incentive for athletics support. It seems that our schools, at least these days, tolerate it at best.

ngineer
November 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM
The difference is, the University promotes and provides incentive for athletics support. It seems that our schools, at least these days, tolerate it at best.

I agree with that observation. We can't get TOO exhuberant about athletics y'know.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/12/very-tentative-lehigh-football.html

So much for not being exuberant about athletics. I just went through the 2011 (basically complete, I think) and 2012 future schedules to see what games could be available... including, maybe, a game versus an FBS opponent. (I hope.)

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Good schedule for Lehigh and Lafayette next year.

We have the best of the Ivies-- Penn, Harvard, Yale in addition to NDSU and Stony Brook. Ouch!

Franks Tanks
December 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I know your obviously close to the football program. How can the LC fans and alumni not be screaming to the rafters about allowing the football program to deteriorate after putting so much money back into the facilities?

Except for the lack of rest room facilities, Fisher Field is a great place to watch a game (once every two years) :). The program was clearly on the right path. I don't get it.xsmhx You would think that the AD would have learned something from what happened to the basketball program when they were slow to react.

Lafayette football is for the most part still on the right path. We have some good young players in the program. We may struggle a bit next year as well with a brutal schedule. but we will be back soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Good schedule for Lehigh and Lafayette next year.

We have the best of the Ivies-- Penn, Harvard, Yale in addition to NDSU and Stony Brook. Ouch!

LU and LC have some damned challenging schedules. That's good! xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
December 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hope to see either Lehigh or Holy Cross on our future schedules in 2012 and going forward. Add Fordham to that list ! They are only 50 miles away.

Go...gate
December 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
How about Colgate? Like Albany, this seems like a fine match-up for both sides.

danefan
December 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I love that the Colgate/Albany series is back on. Very nice also that Colgate will likely be the opponent for our stadium opener in 2012.

I'd like to get the Fordham series back on as well.

Seawolf97
December 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Love to see Colgate and Albany back on Long Island. I think we are scheduling 1 PL Team a season going forward. In 2011 it will be the return game with Lafayette but beyond that maybe 2 PL teams the way the CAA is shrinking in the Northeast. We still owe CCSU and Monmouth return games also. They both played at SBU during our independent season and I dont think either is on the 2011 schedule. I enjoy seeing a mixed group of OOC teams on our schedule- I could think of quite of few we should play.

danefan
December 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Love to see Colgate and Albany back on Long Island. I think we are scheduling 1 PL Team a season going forward. In 2011 it will be the return game with Lafayette but beyond that maybe 2 PL teams the way the CAA is shrinking in the Northeast. We still owe CCSU and Monmouth return games also. They both played at SBU during our independent season and I dont think either is on the 2011 schedule. I enjoy seeing a mixed group of OOC teams on our schedule- I could think of quite of few we should play.

Unfortunately you won't see Albany on the Island until we have full shcolarships. Coach Ford has refused to play SBU until then. Smart move on his part if you ask me.

Gordon Shumway
December 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM

After the Lehigh game next year, I'm pretty sure UNH & Colgate have a H&H scheduled for 2012-13. It looks like at least some of the Patriot schools are serious about expanding their OOC schedules condiderably beyond the IL. At what point do the Ivie's get their panties in a wad because they have to demean themselves by scheduling more scholarship schools?

TheValleyRaider
December 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
After the Lehigh game next year, I'm pretty sure UNH & Colgate have a H&H scheduled for 2012-13. It looks like at least some of the Patriot schools are serious about expanding their OOC schedules condiderably beyond the IL. At what point do the Ivie's get their panties in a wad because they have to demean themselves by scheduling more scholarship schools?

First I've heard about that, but if true, a big xthumbsupx

Future Schedules (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/sports/2010/9/6/FB_0906103621.aspx?path=football) lists open dates for 9/8, 9/22 and 10/6 for 2012 (along with Maine at home) and open dates 9/14 and 9/28 in 2013 (plus at Air Force to open the season) xnodx

Also have Towson in 2011 and Delaware in 2014

Bogus Megapardus
December 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately you won't see Albany on the Island until we have full shcolarships. Coach Ford has refused to play SBU until then. Smart move on his part if you ask me.

Will the coach have a similar policy about playing full a scholarship Colgate or Lehigh?

danefan
December 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Will the coach have a similar policy about playing full a scholarship Colgate or Lehigh?

Nope.

he doesn't have a policy against anyone but SBU. Other then SBU, he'll play anyone else, anywhere, anytime.

The SBU thing is really a slight towards are Athletic Admins that want to foster rivalries with SBU but yet refuse to fund the program the same way.

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM

That's right - in fact, didn't we replace Dartmouth on both of our skeds, because our series ends with them after 2011 (and seems unlikely to be renewed for at least a decade)?

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I think if Colgate goes scholarship, we will definitely be playing some new opponents. I just hope our AD gets his head out of his you-know-what and doesn't insist on home-and-home.

I can see Rutgers definitely back on the schedule from time to time.

Maybe we can start playing Penn again...

van
December 10th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Lafayette football is for the most part still on the right path. We have some good young players in the program. We may struggle a bit next year as well with a brutal schedule. but we will be back soon.

That's what we Lehigh fans were saying this year! Hope it does not turn out the same for you.

Bogus Megapardus
December 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I think if Colgate goes scholarship, we will definitely be playing some new opponents. I just hope our AD gets his head out of his you-know-what and doesn't insist on home-and-home.

I can see Rutgers definitely back on the schedule from time to time.

Maybe we can start playing Penn again...

Word is that both Lafayette and Lehigh have had to turn down games vs Rutgers in recent years. Prior to 1975 Rutgers was de facto a part of what is now the PL. There's a long history there. I'm sure their alumni would much rather see Colgate than some of the other FCS teams they play these days.

Seawolf97
December 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Our serries with Brown ends in 2011 when they visit Long Island. They lead the series 2-1, it seems both teams win at home. Hopefully we will either renew the series for a couple more seasons or schedule another Ivy team for four more years. The games
have always been close.

DFW HOYA
December 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Will the coach have a similar policy about playing a full scholarship Colgate or Lehigh?

I hope Lehigh or Lafayette doesn't have a similar policy someday about teams that do not offer scholarships.

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Word is that both Lafayette and Lehigh have had to turn down games vs Rutgers in recent years. Prior to 1975 Rutgers was de facto a part of what is now the PL. There's a long history there. I'm sure their alumni would much rather see Colgate than some of the other FCS teams they play these days.

Absolutely! I have attended some of those RU games against the likes of Texas Southern and Howard. Invariably, especially the old RU grads are always asking in effect, "If we're going to play these guys, why can't we play the teams we used to play?" I always find it interesting and very nice that there is a cadre of old-school RU people who like and keep up with the PL, which they see as their true peer schools. I believe Fordham, now that they have 63 scholarships, has been trying to get a game with them in the next few years. Fordham and NYU were also old RU rivals, along with Delaware and the Ivies (especially Princeton, Columbia and Cornell).

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I hope Lehigh or Lafayette doesn't have a similar policy someday about teams that do not offer scholarships.

I don't think they will (nor will Colgate) because of their own experiences.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Absolutely! I have attended some of those RU games against the likes of Texas Southern. Invariably, especially the old RU grads are always asking in effect, "If we're going to play these guys, why can't we play the teams we used to play?" I always find it interesting and very nice that there is a cadre of old-school RU people who like and keep up with the PL, which they see as their true peer schools. I believe Fordham, now that they have 63 scholarships, has been trying to get a game with them in the next few years. Fordham and NYU were also old RU rivals, along with Delaware and the Ivies (especially Princeton, Columbia and Cornell).

I think Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate would provide to them a surprising number of fans travelling to New Brunswick.

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate would provide to them a surprising number of fans travelling to New Brunswick.

So would Delaware and Fordham. With travel (and thus guarantees) becoming more expensive, I'm thinking RU will not hesitate to schedule OOC games against local teams that can take a bus , probably accept a more modest guarantee (word is they paid Texas Southern and Norfolk State a lot of money) and bring local fans residing within two hours of their ballpark, which has always been a nice place to watch a game (though these days, you need to cover your child's, wife's and girlfriend's ears).

Bogus Megapardus
December 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I think you now can count Lafayette out.

http://media.www.thelaf.com/media/storage/paper339/news/2010/12/10/News/Weiss.To.Vote.No-3966931.shtml

Go...gate
December 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM

http://media.www.thelaf.com/media/storage/paper339/news/2010/12/10/News/Weiss.To.Vote.No-3966931.shtml

What I am thinking would be censored. IMO, LC will regret this decision.

Franks Tanks
December 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
What I am thinking would be censored. IMO, LC will regret this decision.

All along we figured Weiss would vote no, but then reluctantly implement scholarships. The no vote is pending, and it appears we now have no plan if the league votes yes.

ngineer
December 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Absolutely. With the number of Lehigh alumni in the NYC/NJ/PA area, LU would have at a few thousand at New Brunswick. I remeber the great game with Penn back in 2005 when 20,000 turned out at Franklin Field and half were Lehigh fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Absolutely. With the number of Lehigh alumni in the NYC/NJ/PA area, LU would have at a few thousand at New Brunswick. I remeber the great game with Penn back in 2005 when 20,000 turned out at Franklin Field and half were Lehigh fans.

The game you are referring to was in 2002. Penn ended Lehigh's 20+ regular season winning streak that night. I believe Lehigh was ranked either #2 or #3 in the country at the time. I'll never forget Marshall Faulk's cousin scoring on a hook and ladder play right before half.

ngineer
December 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Not only disappointing but disturbing regarding the contradictory statements between Weiss and Ahart; although, in the end, Ahart says the Board supports Weiss's decision. The decision, itself, is not surprising since LC has always been viewed as a relunctant party. Obviously, Gtown will join LC. Bucknell more of a wild card, imo. So that would seem to result in:

Fordham -- Yes
Lehigh-- Yes
Colgate-- Yes
Lafayette-- No
G'twn-- No
Bucknell--???
Navy--Yes
Army--Yes
American-- ??

Interesting that the non-PL football schools get to vote--especially American, since they don't play the sport. I would certainly think Army and Navy would vote aye.
IF, BU would vote 'No'...then it would be 3-3 among the PL football schools, with the outcome decided by the 'non-league' members?????!!!!
I will be on campus Sunday for the wrestling match, so I will report if I hear or "see" (i.e. white smoke) anything....

ngineer
December 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
The game you are referring to was in 2002. Penn ended Lehigh's 20+ regular season winning streak that night. I believe Lehigh was ranked either #2 or #3 in the country at the time. I'll never forget Marshall Faulk's cousin scoring on a hook and ladder play right before half.

Wow..it was that long ago?? Yes, that play just before the half was the difference. Just looked it up..24-21 in 2002. Time flies as you age....