PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of The Blue Thread

superman7515
November 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM
It's Delaware vs Villanova this Saturday. Delaware looking to lock up the #1 seed and homefield advantage throughout. Villanova looking to cling to their playoff chances. The all-time record shows Villanova now has the lead 22-20-1 with a 4 game winning streak. This time last year, Villanova was looking to lock up #1 and Delaware was 6-4, needing this game at Villanova to cling to their playoff hopes. Now the roles are reversed. Does Villanova continue the streak or does Delaware repay the favor and send them home for Thanksgiving?

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Pretty remarkable and funny how one year has completely reversed the role of these two teams.

One thing is for sure, the whole possible move to the Big East seems to have brought a huge distraction for this year's team - they are not much different from last year's team talent-wise. Even without Szczur, this team has under-achieved by far. Hopefully they can put everything behind them and realize that they have a whole new season that starts this Saturday.

Nebuta
November 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Is Szczur going to play? Thats the 500,000 dollar question.

superman7515
November 16th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Well to get the smack started off on the right foot, it doesn't matter if Matt the Rat plays or not, we're going to win. Haha

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Chris Whitney is 1-0 against Devlin. That's all I'm gonna say ;-)

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
The Hens will drum "Chester U." by double digits. The road to Frisco goes thru the Tub.

NovaHater
November 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
As long as Keeler is the coach on Sat I like the Cats chances. Keeler will coach to not lose and Talley will coach to win.
Not to take anything away from W&M, but Keeler's conservative play calling cost them that game.
Laycock coached to win, had the guts to take out his starting QB & had Grimes throw his first career pass to a wide open receiver for the go ahead TD.
Keeler on the other hand, Pierce up the middle, Pierce up the middle, Pierce up the middle.
Well that won't get it Sat. Hens had 45 yds rushing last year and it won't be any easier this year.
Nova was able to run effectively last year, Hens appear to have a better set of LB'ers this year meaning Whitney will have to put the ball in the air more, which lately hasn't been his strength due to some nagging injuries.

Best team doesn't always win this game. AT UD means nothing, VU has won the last 2 in Newark

Flacco never beat Villanova and Devlin will be in the same company.

There is a reason Nova has won the last 4 In A Row and he'll be wearing xcoolx

superman7515
November 17th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Conservative play calling would have won us the game because we would have kicked the field goal from 2 yards out instead of trying to score on 4th down. He did play to win the game.

superman7515
November 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
So you learn something new all the time and last week I learned something that certainly applies here. Did you know that Szczur is actually pronounced SH-CH-UR and not like Caesar as many say? It's actually the Polish word for rat. Szczur (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczur)

VUCats02
November 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Why on earth would anyone even want to pronounce it like that, even if that's technically correct? Caesar is much more eloquent.

By the way, is it easy to scalp tickets for UD games?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM
By the way, is it easy to scalp tickets for UD games?

Depends on the game. This should be an easy sell-out. If Nova manages to bring all of their regular home crowd to this one they should fill up at least half of the north end zone easy.

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Depends on the game. This should be an easy sell-out. If Nova manages to bring all of their regular home crowd to this one they should fill up at least half of the north end zone easy.

LMAO!

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM
If Whitney has to throw 30+ times the game will get ugly.

NovaWildcat
November 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Matt Casaer was on Talley's radio show this week...said he's a game-time decision, he might play.

I think all Nova fans would agree that we hope he doesn't unless he's 100%. I'm sure the staff is taking a similar approach.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the trip this year - although to be honest I love what they've done with Newark. Was at the Rock for Nova-Fordham basketball last year and think they've done a great job building up the surrounding area.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I hope Szczur plays - I'd like to beat a fully loaded 'Nova team. Game will be completely sold out.

henfan
November 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Chester Rats
http://www.gohens.net/boards/download/file.php?id=105

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Fewer than 500 tickets left...

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Fewer than 500 tickets left...

Wooooohoooo!! They'll be gone before walk-up. No offense to our weaker brethren in Dover but come Saturday the HenHouse will be a Hornet's Nest!

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Let me preface this post by saying that I think Delaware is the best team in FCS right now and that I was the first person to vote them #1 in the AGS poll earlier in the season.

That being said...some of the Delaware fans in this thread and others are getting WAAAY too cocky. I know y'all go into hibernation for three year spurts and then come out when your latest FBS transfer QB gets hot, but that's no excuse for ignorance. There is very little separating the top 5-10 teams in FCS and anything can happen in the playoffs, even with home field advantage. Despite Nova's 6-4 record, they are a very dangerous team, and in my opinion, the 2nd best team in the CAA when they are playing their A-game. UNH had to get a little lucky and play their best game of the season in order to beat them. Delaware didn't blow through JMU, W&M and URI, and I don't see them blowing through Nova either.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM

So..........if I went without a ticket, is there a likelihood that I'd find someone outside of the stadium selling extras? I'm trying to decide whether to go or not, but if there usually aren't many scalpers, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Fanboi, it's just good natured ribbing. I doubt anyone is thinking it will be a cakewalk for either side. Clearly each wants his/her side to win, but no one is calling out anyone's mama or anything like that.

VUCats, if you want tickets, I've got an extra two I'm trying to get rid of. My brother is stuck going to a wedding this weekend, so I've now got 2 free ones.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
There haven't been as many people selling outside this year, mainly b/c this will only be the 2nd sellout. There were scalpers outside in the past, but there are more cops up by the ticket office now, changed security now too. My advice would be to secure tix before you come down like Supe7515's pair.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the offer. I actually just got tickets from a friend so I'm good to go.

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It's Delaware vs Villanova this Saturday. Delaware looking to lock up the #1 seed and homefield advantage throughout. Villanova looking to cling to their playoff chances. The all-time record shows Villanova now has the lead 22-20-1 with a 4 game winning streak. This time last year, Villanova was looking to lock up #1 and Delaware was 6-4, needing this game at Villanova to cling to their playoff hopes. Now the roles are reversed. Does Villanova continue the streak or does Delaware repay the favor and send them home for Thanksgiving?

There's something crazy about streaks. W&M went up to New Hampshire and snapped UNH's 13-game home winning streak. Last team to beat UNH at home... W&M 2 years ago.

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Let me preface this post by saying that I think Delaware is the best team in FCS right now and that I was the first person to vote them #1 in the AGS poll earlier in the season.

That being said...some of the Delaware fans in this thread and others are getting WAAAY too cocky. I know y'all go into hibernation for three year spurts and then come out when your latest FBS transfer QB gets hot, but that's no excuse for ignorance. There is very little separating the top 5-10 teams in FCS and anything can happen in the playoffs, even with home field advantage. Despite Nova's 6-4 record, they are a very dangerous team, and in my opinion, the 2nd best team in the CAA when they are playing their A-game. UNH had to get a little lucky and play their best game of the season in order to beat them. Delaware didn't blow through JMU, W&M and URI, and I don't see them blowing through Nova either.

Just to clarify, Delaware lost to W&M. And agree 100% on "anything can happen". Just look to last week, W&M at JMU. I was afraid it could happen, and it did.

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
What is there to clarify? He never said that Delaware beat W&M. He said they didn't blow through them. Clearly, if they lost, they didn't blow through them. And quit hijacking the thread with W&M. UD & Nova don't care this weekend. Just go win your game so you can still make the playoffs.

VUCats02
November 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/With-season-on-the-line-Villanova-cautiously-optimistic-heading-into-showdown-with-Devlin-Delaware-71149484

I'm lovin the confidence. One thing that is worth noting from here is that Nova KNOWS that no team has beat them this year. They have just simply not shown up for 4-5 games this year and have completely underachieved/beat themselves. You can be sure that Nova will be playing close to their best football this week, so if Delaware is going to win, they will have to be the first team this year to beat Nova when they actually have decided to show up.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/With-season-on-the-line-Villanova-cautiously-optimistic-heading-into-showdown-with-Devlin-Delaware-71149484

I'm lovin the confidence. One thing that is worth noting from here is that Nova KNOWS that no team has beat them this year. They have just simply not shown up for 4-5 games this year and have completely underachieved/beat themselves. You can be sure that Nova will be playing close to their best football this week, so if Delaware is going to win, they will have to be the first team this year to beat Nova when they actually have decided to show up.

Man, that's just funny stuff right there - didn't show up! What, is the team playing like the nova fanbase now! xlolx

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I saw the W&M game, and you're right W&M didn't beat them. W&M friggin destroyed 'Nova, the game was over at halftime.....

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Fanny, this is a message board... people talk... the truth is that true hen fans hat Nova with a passion, and they also know that it won't be easy

VUCats02
November 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Nova played about 30-40% of what they're capable of against W&M and still lost by one possession. Pretty good loss in my opinion considering how bad we played.

In every game we have lost, we have gone down fighting - every single game we lost (other than temple), we had horrible starts to games and just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm whatsoever. In the last 7 minutes, they realize the "urgency" of the game and step it up, but at that point it's just too late. Nova will NOT start off slow against Delaware, and yes Delaware, you have the better team this year because you have been more consistent, but if we get into any kind of rhythm whatsoever - home field advantage could fall right in front of you.

HensRock
November 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
if we get into any kind of rhythm whatsoever - home field advantage could fall right in front of you.

Dude,
You have never SEEN homefield advantage like you're going to see tomorrow!
But I am glad that you acknowledge in advance that we will be beating Nova's best. Don't want no excuses that the real Nova team didn't show up like against W&M.

GO HENS !

superman7515
November 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.bluehens.com/teams/football/stories/images/fb10-game-day-villanova_lg.jpg

Nebuta
November 19th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Nova played about 30-40% of what they're capable of against W&M and still lost by one possession. Pretty good loss in my opinion considering how bad we played.

In every game we have lost, we have gone down fighting - every single game we lost (other than temple), we had horrible starts to games and just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm whatsoever. In the last 7 minutes, they realize the "urgency" of the game and step it up, but at that point it's just too late. Nova will NOT start off slow against Delaware, and yes Delaware, you have the better team this year because you have been more consistent, but if we get into any kind of rhythm whatsoever - home field advantage could fall right in front of you.

Stll lost by one possession? Yeah you are right. Anyone who watched the game knew it was over for all intensive purposes when W&M was up 31-10 early 4th quarter. Nova got house'd by W&M. Late garbage time TDs made it closer on paper then it really was.

I didnt see any 30-40% capability on that field, maybe if you count the W&M prevent defense after they were up 3 TDs with just under 9 minutes to play <sarcasm>.

I agree Nova has a sense of urgency and the players shouldnt come out flat as UD will get Nova's best. I picked Nova to win this game but 30-40% capability against W&M. I dont agree.

superman7515
November 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/marcantonybust_i_have_come_to_bury_caesar_not_tshi rt-p235808613285576149qjx8_210.jpg

superman7515
November 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Two hours until kickoff. Time to head out. Go Big Blue!

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Here is the College Sporting News blog on the game:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?114-Villanova-Delaware

By the way, Matt Szczur was out there revving it up in pregame warmups and is one of the captains heading out for the coin toss. Should be a classic game.

Ud1Hens
November 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
terrible kickoff....returned for a TD. 7-0 Nova

JSU02
November 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Anyone else having trouble with the channelsurfing.net feed?

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Angelo Babbaro went 85 yards with the opening kickoff for a Villanova touchdown. It just took 13 seconds for Babbaro to record his second career kickoff return for a TD. He went up the middle and cut to the left sideline, untouched for the score. And the game is on.

NovaWildcat
November 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Channelsurfing isn't working for me either

any other links?

NovaWildcat
November 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
channelsurfing isn't working for me either...any other links??

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
A nervous first series for the Delaware offense. A dropped pass by the tight end, a pressured incompletion on a screen from Pat Devlin and a sack of Devlin by a blitzing linebacker Marquis Kirkland and the Blue Hens were forced to punt.

Ud1Hens
November 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I hate helping a nova fan...

http://www.ums.udel.edu/udlive/bluehens/

NovaWildcat
November 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I hate helping a nova fan...

http://www.ums.udel.edu/udlive/bluehens/

Thank you!!!

JSU02
November 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
channelsurfing isn't working for me either...any other links??

works for me now

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Matt Szczur went 19 yards on a sweep for a first down on his first carry to the Delaware 32.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
A little razzle-dazzle for the Wildcats makes it 14-0. Villanova ran a reverse, with Chris Whitney finally throwing a four-yard TD pass to Lawrence Doss. It's Delaware's largest deficit of the season.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Norman White had a couple of key receptions for the Wildcats after Szczur's first down. Seven plays, 53 yards in a little over four minutes.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
A double pass from Whitney to Norman White to Aaron Ball gave the Wildcats a completion to the Delaware 29, but the Wildcats were called for an illegal block on center Dan Shirey.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
On a punt, Angelo Babbaro recovered a Rob Jones fumble after a Craig James hit to give the Wildcats the ball at the Delaware 32.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
The Hens hold as Nova goes for it on 4th and 1; Delaware ball and first down at about their own 35 now, end of the first.

paward
November 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
This game has the potential to get "Butt Ugly"

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Blue Hens sleepwalking so far....

Ud1Hens
November 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
TD BLUE HENS! Nihja the Ninja with the TD catch. We got a ballgame. 14-7

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
14-14. Tied up. Nova stunned UD in the early beginning. UD shaked it off. Nova driving late in the 1st half.

paward
November 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Turned into a typical CAA match up in second quarter

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
*Doink*

Place-kicking has killed Nova all year

All tied at half

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
14-14 half. Nova hits the upright. No good. Mighty mo is on UDs side.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Come on Blue Hens...bounce nova!!!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Was that ref a UD graduate ??

xlolx

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
That was a horrid call.

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
14-14 end of 3rd. Nova driving.

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
21 Nova - 14 UD with 11:35 left in the game.. Whitney scrambles for TD

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
21-21 with 18 secs left. UD scores with pass to AP in the flats. Fitting.

CaliHen
November 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
great game

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
OT 21 - 21. Nova lost the toss. Nova gets the ball 1st

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
1st in goal Nova.

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
28 Nova - 21 UD. Ball TD. UD chance to answer in OT

paward
November 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
WOW WHAT A GAME, SORRY FOR UD

Nebuta
AP fumbles on the 1 yard line. Nova recovers. Nova wins 28-21. A fitting end.

MacThor
Fumble Hens. Game over.

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
somebody from the CAA is gonna be ticked off this time tomorrow.....

CaliHen
November 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
turnovers turnovers turnovers

bad loss hens

Sam Adams
November 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Congrats to the Cats on a big win !

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Looked like AP dived and might have been down according to the replay. Maybe a make up call for the horrid forward progress call. Grats Nova on a ticket to the dance!

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry but UDEL sux.

Ud1Hens
November 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
UD always finds a unique way to lose to Villanova...this one just takes the cake

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Pierce got a gift earlier on the fumble at the 15 yard line that was called a no fumble, looked like a fumble from here, as for the last one in OT, hard to say as the camera angle was bad but I didnt see to many Hens arguing the call

See ya in the playoffs Nova

superman7515
November 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Well, no excuses from me, Nova beat us. They made fewer mistakes, didn't turn it over, and kept the penalties down. Us Hens fans have been saying all year that the special teams failures would come back to bite us one game, and this one certainly didn't help, although that clearly wasn't the only reason for the loss. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs and congrats Nova on the win.

Mattymc727
November 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry but UDEL sux.

dude, whats your deal? I keep reading your posts around AGS and you have been a jackass everytime. Clearly UD is one of the better teams in the country and this statement is nonsense. Im glad you support UNH but you are going to give us a bad rap as fans, be supportive and humble about our success.

VUCats02
November 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM

That might not be true. I wouldn't be surprised if Richmond, Nova, and UNH all got in. We'll see tomorrow.

So glad at this outcome. Game could have gone either way. Hopefully we'll see ya in the playoffs Delaware!

VUCats02
November 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Well, no excuses from me, Nova beat us. They made fewer mistakes, didn't turn it over, and kept the penalties down. Us Hens fans have been saying all year that the special teams failures would come back to bite us one game, and this one certainly didn't help, although that clearly wasn't the only reason for the loss. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs and congrats Nova on the win.

Actually, Delaware didn't commit one single penalty the whole game. They were very more disciplined than Nova in this game.

superman7515
November 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I was saying the Villanova kept their penalties down. I was at VU for the game against Richmond and even though they won, they had quite a few penalties including some costly pass interference calls. Not today. Good job.

tandemlax
November 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM

With UMass going down to URI, I have to think the CAA gets 5 in with a Richmond victory over W&M, or 4 with a Tribe win

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Although I can taste the bile in the back of my throat when I say it, good game 'Nova. I hope we end up in the same playoff bracket so that we don't have to wait another year for the rematch.

NovaHater
November 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM
5 IN A Row !!

As I stated days ago, as long as it's Keeler vs Talley, I liked Nova's chances to win. Keeler is always overmatched, he had the better team but AGAIN, he is just so conservative. Talley definitely coached to win this game.

How did the Hen fans like Andy's playcalling.

How do you have 2nd and less than a yard and run two plays in row out of the shotgun formation. Pierce up the middle, 3-4 yd passes, Keeler is overmatched by just about any coach in the CAA.

Joe Flacco couldn't beat Nova xnonox
Pat Devlin couldn't beat Nova xnonox

Great sellout crowd at Nova House today, hope we end up there again during the playoffs

6 IN A ROW

theasushow
November 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
With UMass going down to URI, I have to think the CAA gets 5 in with a Richmond victory over W&M, or 4 with a Tribe win

yeah...when I posted that UMASS appeared to have the game in hand and I thought they would pull it out. guess that's what i get for speculating......looking like 4 teams will get in.

VUCats02
November 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Pat Devlin couldn't beat Nova

Let's be careful before we say this. He might just get another shot at us this year.

I think that it would be VERY hard for the committee to keep Nova out of the playoff field after just beating the number 1 team in the country at their house.

One question regarding the first round of the playoffs. Can there, or can there not be rematches from the regular season in the first round? If Nova makes it do you think they will play Lehigh?

VUCats02
November 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Pat Devlin couldn't beat Nova

Let's be careful before we say this. He might just get another shot at us this year.

I think that it would be VERY hard for the committee to keep Nova out of the playoff field after just beating the number 1 team in the country at their house.

One question regarding the first round of the playoffs. Can there, or can there not be rematches from the regular season in the first round? If Nova makes it do you think they will play Lehigh?

Nebuta
November 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yeah what is up with UDs special teams. A KR return of a touchdown and muffed punt return. (7 pts and an extra possession ouch) Looks like UDs special teams is their downfall, even in UMass game their coverage was awful. They need to clean that up cause it cost them today and may again down the road.

NovaHater
November 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
No need to be careful, Whitney was by far the best QB today and will be again if they should meet. Talley was by far the best Coach today and will be again if they meet.

There's a reason Nova has won the last 5 in a row and if they should meet again in the playoffs the man with the sunglasses will be there again, advantage NOVA