PDA

View Full Version : "Coach's" Poll

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Shouldn't the Coach's Poll actually be called the "3rd asst to the Sports Information Director's" Poll? or is that just too long of a name. Do we really think that coaches are rushing into the office on Sunday morning to send in their picks for the week?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Shouldn't the Coach's Poll actually be called the "3rd asst to the Sports Information Director's" Poll? or is that just too long of a name. Do we really think that coaches are rushing into the office on Sunday morning to send in their picks for the week?

Our coach is a voter and from everything he has said he takes it seriously.

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I'm sure some coaches (albeit and vast minority) actually take the responsibility seriously. But as I think about this more, I wonder how much coaches know about teams outside their conference and not on their schedule? They are usually a little consumed on Saturday and probably don't have the same broad knowledge as most AGS posters. I'm just sayin'!!!!

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm sure some coaches (albeit and vast minority) actually take the responsibility seriously. But as I think about this more, I wonder how much coaches know about teams outside their conference and not on their schedule? They are usually a little consumed on Saturday and probably don't have the same broad knowledge as most AGS posters. I'm just sayin'!!!!

True and I think you could say the same thing about those who vote in the media poll. A beat writer or SID(our SID votes in that poll) and they are constantly traveling on Saturday or working all day. They have zero time to watch any team play but their own and whoever their team lines up against. Coaches at least see film all week of the team they play vs various teams.

The fan polls are probably the best but even then there are not exactly a lot of TV games. I try to take a look at a few different teams a week, last week I watched SCSU/Morgan State and Cal Poly/UCD. But I will admit there are some teams I don't really have a lot of knowledge about like the IVY and PL teams.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'd imagine towards the end of the season most coaches are watching plenty of game tape for potential opponents in the playoffs, so most coaches should at least be familiar with the teams in the top 25.

401ks
November 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'd imagine towards the end of the season most coaches are watching plenty of game tape for potential opponents in the playoffs, so most coaches should at least be familiar with the teams in the top 25.

Nah....

Not so much.

Eaglesrus
November 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Happened to hear GA Tech coach Paul Johnson speak tonight and he said he refuses to vote, and indicated that he wouldn't let anyone vote for him, either. He said he's way too busy to see anybody play other than Tech and whoever they are playing, so it makes no sense for him to vote. He also said that the votes are public and asked (rhetorically, of course) how he could vote for a good Tech opponent and not Tech and then go in and convince his guys that they could beat them?

Squealofthepig
November 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Happened to hear GA Tech coach Paul Johnson speak tonight and he said he refuses to vote, and indicated that he wouldn't let anyone vote for him, either. He said he's way too busy to see anybody play other than Tech and whoever they are playing, so it makes no sense for him to vote. He also said that the votes are public and asked (rhetorically, of course) how he could vote for a good Tech opponent and not Tech and then go in and convince his guys that they could beat them?

That's exactly the type of logical, thoughtful approach to ranking that is entirely missing in the coaches' poll.