PDA

View Full Version : Icon/Grambling/GSU vs TCU ??

MACHIAVELLI
February 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM
TCU may hop onto GSU's football plate
Tigers negotiatingfor 2006 matchup
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Grambling State is in talks to play Texas Christian University, its highest-ranking Division I-A opponent ever.

Signing off on the deal to play last year's No. 11 team, however, would mean the end of a highly anticipated proposed game in Phoenix in 2006 against North Carolina A&T, an historically black college coached by former GSU All-American Lee Fobbs.

Reason: The Southwestern Athletic Conference, home to GSU, mandates that it play each of the league's nine other foes. That only leaves two dates to fill on the traditional 11-game Division I-AA slate, with the second confirmed non-conference game likely pitting Grambling against Hampton.

GSU is considering a contest at TCU's 44,008-seat Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth on either Sept. 16 or 23. The game would be the first of two that month in the Metroplex, since the Tigers face Prairie View A&M on Sept. 30 in the annual State Fair Classic at the Cotton Bowl.
As word of the possible game spread, reaction among fans was mixed.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060214/SPORTS/602140341/1006

Hansel
February 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
More reason to ditch the Mandate :)

Mr. Tiger
February 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM

If the ADs at Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, etc...had their way the mandate would be history. But they aren't making that call. I hope Grambling can get the deal done.

Catmendue2
February 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM
If the ADs at Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, etc...had their way the mandate would be history. But they aren't making that call. I hope Grambling can get the deal done.

It will get done, if not there is a backup in place just down the road.

SU Jag
February 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Everyone hates the mandate! It is the dumbest this ever! It has killed big OC games like Southern/FAMU, Bama State/Tennessee State, Alabama A&M/Miles, Bama State/Miles, and ect! Hopefully 06 will be the final year of this shullbit! :coach:

grizband
February 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Everyone hates the mandate! It is the dumbest this ever! It has killed big OC games like Southern/FAMU, Bama State/Tennessee State, Alabama A&M/Miles, Bama State/Miles, and ect! Hopefully 06 will be the final year of this shullbit! :coach:
...you forgot Southern/Montana :nod:

SU Jag
February 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
...you forgot Southern/Montana :nod:

I agree! Two great schools with some of the best fans and best gameday atmospheres in the country! :nod:

grizband
February 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I agree! Two great schools with some of the best fans and best gamedat atmospheres in the country! :nod:
And as a graduated member of the Grizzly marching band, I would love to see the Southern band in action (really I just wish I could play with them). :bow: