PDA

View Full Version : Valley Closes College FB's Saddest Season

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Article talks about how hard times have hit Valley and how the football stadium named after the school's legends had to be shut down this year... glad to see they are going to put this chapter behind and get the stadium together next year...

Even compared to the rest of the struggling SWAC, Valley's $3.3 million football budget is woefully inadequate: Instate rivals Jackson State ($6.6 million) and Alcorn State ($5.2 million) easily outspend them, according to the Associated Press. Not surprisingly, the vagabond Devils have endured this season's exodus by losing nine in a row by an average of almost four touchdowns. The season isn't ending so much as it's being put out of its misery.

The state has approved the first $1 million to overhaul Rice-Totten, which should have renovated some 5,000 seats and installed chairbacks in time to host a regular, six-game home schedule in 2011.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Jerry-Rice-s-alma-mater-closes-the-book-on-colle?urn=ncaaf-285239

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Article talks about how hard times have hit Valley and how the football stadium named after the school's legends had to be shut down this year... glad to see they are going to put this chapter behind and get the stadium together next year...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Jerry-Rice-s-alma-mater-closes-the-book-on-colle?urn=ncaaf-285239

Jackson State spends 6 million a year on FB--what?

DSUrocks07
November 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM

Yeah thats a pretty sizable chunk when put in comparison.

dbackjon
November 14th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Better question - why does the state keep MVSU even open?

DSUrocks07
November 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Just have to look at their history...

The institution, which opened in 1950, was created by the Mississippi Legislature as Mississippi Vocational College. The legislature anticipated that legal segregation of public education was in danger (and would in four years be declared unconstitutional in the United States Supreme Court's decision in Brown v. Board of Education) and created the institution, hoping that its existence would draw African-American applicants who might have otherwise applied to attend Mississippi's premier whites-only institutions—the University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, and the University of Southern Mississippi. Creating separate institutions of higher learning for Mississippi's black population, the state's political leaders hoped, would help ease the pressure to integrate the state's premier universities. To attract the support of those who opposed any government action to provide higher education to blacks, those proposing creation of M.V.C. used the term "vocational" to imply that the institution's main purpose would be to train blacks to take on blue-collar jobs.

The original legislative proposal would have located M.V.C. in Greenwood, but the white leadership of that city did not like the idea of hosting an institution that would attract young, ambitious blacks to the area. Thus, the proposed site was moved to Itta Bena. Even that town, however, objected to too close a proximity of a black institution, so the final site was chosen to place the college away from the downtown area, on cheap, uncultivatable land.

Wikipedia - Mississippi Valley State University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Valley_State_University)

Redhawk2010
November 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah thats a pretty sizable chunk when put in comparison.

Southeast Missouri only spends about $8million a year TOTAL on athletics. I think football comes out around $1.3 or so..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Jerry Rice should buy it.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM
College football's saddest season? Really? That's a stretch.

And pardon me if I don't see a $3.3 million football budget as "woefully inadequate"...

wr70beh
November 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Prairie View probably had the saddest DECADE in the 90's

TheBisonator
November 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
College football's saddest season? Really? That's a stretch.

And pardon me if I don't see a $3.3 million football budget as "woefully inadequate"...

3.3 million is the budget for MVSU's entire athletic department. The author got the wording mixed up. Heck, NDSU's football budget was just over 3.3 million last season. I believe MVSU has the lowest budget of any DI athletic program.

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM

No - that's their entire budget. Valley's entire budget is $3.3M.

3.3 million is the budget for MVSU's entire athletic department. The author got the wording mixed up. Heck, NDSU's football budget was just over 3.3 million last season. I believe MVSU has the lowest budget of any DI athletic program.

Lowest budget of a Div I football program... believe they are fourth or fifth to last.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the corrections. Per the EADA reports, the MVSU football budget is $802,620.

However, at a cost of just $5,234 for in-state tuition, room and board, the program should still be carrying a lot of equivalencies.

Franks Tanks
November 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Lowest budget of a Div I football program... believe they are fourth or fifth to last.

Thanks-- that makes sense.

Redhawk2010
November 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM

That makes much more sense..