PDA

View Full Version : 127th Annual Harvard-Yale Thread

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM
This will be for the deservedly mythical "Big 3" title, both teams having beaten the woeful Princeton Tigers. Harvard looked pretty woeful itself against Penn, with turnovers and sloppy special teams play dooming the Crimson to defeat.xnonox Yale didn't look that great against P'ton either, but somebody has to win this game.xnodx

Anyway, I sense a narrow win for Yale this year, by something like 17-14. Williams won't try any more of those sorry-azzed fake punts in the 4th quarter. This Harvard team just hasn't come up big for the big games this year, and it will bite them in the azz before an "announced" crowd of 30,000+.xoopsx

bonarae
November 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
This will be for the deservedly mythical "Big 3" title, both teams having beaten the woeful Princeton Tigers. Harvard looked pretty woeful itself against Penn, with turnovers and sloppy special teams play dooming the Crimson to defeat.xnonox Yale didn't look that great against P'ton either, but somebody has to win this game.xnodx

Anyway, I sense a narrow win for Yale this year, by something like 17-14. Williams won't try any more of those sorry-azzed fake punts in the 4th quarter. This Harvard team just hasn't come up big for the big games this year, and it will bite them in the azz before an "announced" crowd of 30,000+.xoopsx

xchinscratchx I sense a close game.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM
THE GAME will be broadcast live on the "VERSUS" network

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2010-11/releases/100609_Versus_TV

the 127th edition of “The Game”, Yale at Harvard, on Saturday, November 20, at Noon.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Do you guys know the the historical percentage of wins by the home team in this game?

1968 doesn't count.

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Go Bulldogs!!! Get the Win you gave away last year!!! No more dumb calls Coach....please!!!!!?????

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Do you guys know the the historical percentage of wins by the home team in this game?

1968 doesn't count.

Both team websites will publish a preview with just those kinds of facts. Yale's is usually posted on Tuesday. I'll post it for you when I see it. I do know that the visiting team has usually done very well in the series. Right now Yale hasn't beaten Harvard at home since 1999.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Both team websites will publish a preview with just those kinds of facts. Yale's is usually posted on Tuesday. I'll post it for you when I see it. I do know that the visiting team has usually done very well in the series. Right now Yale hasn't beaten Harvard at home since 1999.

Yale has only beaten Harvard once since 2000 ANYWHERE! Just sayin'...xwhistlex

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Yale has only beaten Harvard once since 2000 ANYWHERE! Just sayin'...xwhistlex

I was giving it my best "spin". xlolx

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I was giving it my best "spin". xlolx

Methinks come Saturday night, I'll be the one who has to spin!xsmhx

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM

1968 doesn't count.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/201011164ng7vg

THE SERIES
The Bulldogs lead the Crimson 65-53-8 heading into the 127th meeting but Harvard has won eight of the last nine. Yale is 28-24-5 at Cambridge, 30-28-3 at home and 7-1-0 at neutral sites. There have been 55 shutouts since the first meeting in 1875, and the Elis are 28-20-7 in those contests. The Blue has outscored the Crimson 1,685 to 1,539. Yale is 11-13-1 against the Cantabs when The Game has league title implications. This is the 26th time the result of this game could impact the Ivy League title for at least one side.

ngineer
November 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
My 'gut' senses a Yale win in this one. Harvard had high expectations this year that have been dashed. Yale still has an outside shot at a co-championship with Penn (in the event a Penn bus runs off a cliff into one of Ithaca's gorges). Yale's 'D' seems to have tightened up. I agree the game will likely be low scoring (under 40).

dirty bird
November 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
The history, tradition, and what it means to ALL of football in North America makes The Game, to me, one of the most fascinating football games. I hope one day to catch the rivalry in person..

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
The history, tradition, and what it means to ALL of football in North America makes The Game, to me, one of the most fascinating football games. I hope one day to catch the rivalry in person..

You could probably score a cheap ticket this year!xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Well, dear ol' dad went the Exeter-Harvard route (as did so many others) back in the day, so I've always had a preference in The Game. The Pards got destroyed by Harvard but we did not play Yale this year. Judging from the other Eli contests with which I am familiar (Georgetown; Penn) I'd say that Harvard's defense will have to be on its best behavior. The clincher for me is that Georgetown nearly beat Yale this season with a stout D, so I'm siding with the Cantabs once again. Harvard 27-20.

jimbo65
November 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I had a number of friends who were Yale grads and we attended either "The Game" or Yale Princeton each year in New Haven. Together with significant other, we would arrive @ 9 on Saturday morning and link up in the grassy field, at the end of which there would be a rugby game. Plenty of bloodies etc. before & during the game. Around the middle of the third 1/4, two guys would go over to Maury's (spelling?) and secure a table. Multi red and green cups would be passed around with a competition to see who could finish the cup. The winner would get to start the next cup. Great memories all around including the 100th anniversary game which had a full house.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM
No vuvuzelas at THE GAME

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101119/ap_on_sp_ot/us_vuvuzelas_yale_harvard

The buzz over the storied football rivalry between Harvard and Yale won't be coming from vuvuzelas this weekend: Host Harvard has banned from the 127th game the plastic horns whose incessant droning filled the air during this year's soccer World Cup.