PDA

View Full Version : Nova and the playoffs

appstate38
November 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Do you think Nova is finally out of the playoffs or do they fall just far enough in the rankings to maintain a slight hope of getting in. I for one think they have been ranked too high given the number of loses. Yes I know they were to other CAA teams but they still don't deserved to be ranked that high IMO!

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2010, 05:57 AM
at last the CAA has the same problem as the SoCon had in the last few years.....eating their young

umassfan
November 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
With Hofstra and Northeastern dropping football... the CAA is too strong for its own good. Every week is a tough game and there is maybe only one easy win(Towson most of the time).

VUCats02
November 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
The answer to your question will be decided next week. If Villanova wins, they are in. If they lose, they go home. It's as simple as that.

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
VERY VERY GLAD UNH could help with your early start to holiday shopping....STAY HOME & beat the crowds!!!! Muller#96 got the last fumble....a nearby Pa guy-----BEAUTIFUL!!!

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
VERY VERY GLAD UNH could help with your early start to holiday shopping....STAY HOME & beat the crowds!!!! Muller#96 got the last fumble....a nearby Pa guy-----BEAUTIFUL!!!

I dont think your allowed to use Nova and crowd in the sentence... at least on a football board

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
To answer the original question, Nova's in with a win over UD next week, and out otherwise.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 14th, 2010, 09:11 AM
To answer the original question, Nova's in with a win over UD next week, and out otherwise.

Next week is going to be an epic game. Delaware is playing for the CAA title and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, Nova is playing to stay alive. Easy pick for the FCS game of the week.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Next week is going to be an epic game. Delaware is playing for the CAA title and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, Nova is playing to stay alive. Easy pick for the FCS game of the week.

Personally, I think the W&M/Richmond game is the game of the week. Two of the more resilient teams in FCS, but if Richmond loses they're out, and if W&M loses (they shouldn't be, but they might be) out. It's a tough sell to the committee to invite a 7-4 team playing their worst football of the season (though they still have a win over top 10 UNH in that span).

VUCats02
November 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Nova and Delaware will be a better game for TV viewers. There will be a lot more offense than defense in this one. I think it's going to be a shootout. Both teams will score more than 30 points.

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Nova and Delaware will be a better game for TV viewers. There will be a lot more offense than defense in this one. I think it's going to be a shootout. Both teams will score more than 30 points.

Nova's not going to score more than 30 on UD's defense. VU's best bet is to keep the game in the low 20's.

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Personally, I think the W&M/Richmond game is the game of the week. Two of the more resilient teams in FCS, but if Richmond loses they're out, and if W&M loses (they shouldn't be, but they might be) out. It's a tough sell to the committee to invite a 7-4 team playing their worst football of the season (though they still have a win over top 10 UNH in that span).

Never want to end the year on a losing streak, but WM isn't playing their worse football of the year. We played our best football of the year on consecutive weeks against UD and UNC. Then we beat top 10 UNH on the road with our 3rd and 4th string QB. Yes, we lost to JMU by six points on the road. Defense had a bad outing, but offense is returning to form as we get guys back from injury. Agree we need to beat UR to erase any doubt, but I don't think losing close games to quality opponents means were playing our worst football.

Oldhen
November 14th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Nova's not going to score more than 30 on UD's defense. VU's best bet is to keep the game in the low 20's.

I'm inclined to agree. I think 'Nova can score, and no doubt will... but if we get into a horse race, I like UD more and I like UD's defense getting off the field a few more possessions than 'Nova's. Both teams can convert third downs, and if one of them gets an advantage with more short fields from special teams play or TO's, that could be the difference.

My honest expectation is a game very much like UD/UMass. This year UD is just too healthy, too solid, and too deep. We pulled away in the second half, with a TOP advantage of 23+m to 6+m after a close first half. I honestly expect 'Nova to come out blazing, full of intensity and going for broke. I think UD will roll with that punch and gradually wear them out over sixty minutes. Our biggest problem this year has been coasting in the second half after running out to a lead. Judging from the past two games, that seems to be over.

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I dont think your allowed to use Nova and crowd in the sentence... at least on a football board

7,103 official attendance....looked empty on TV.....guess the beautiful weather kept those diehard nova fans away. or maybe they were signing the petition to join the big east. Reminder--last year's UNH attendance was 14,000. interesting...very interesting......hope UDel gets it done.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Never want to end the year on a losing streak, but WM isn't playing their worse football of the year. We played our best football of the year on consecutive weeks against UD and UNC. Then we beat top 10 UNH on the road with our 3rd and 4th string QB. Yes, we lost to JMU by six points on the road. Defense had a bad outing, but offense is returning to form as we get guys back from injury. Agree we need to beat UR to erase any doubt, but I don't think losing close games to quality opponents means were playing our worst football.

Agreed. However, if there is a CAA logjam at 7-4, you don't want to be the team that lost 3 of your last 4.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM

UD wins this game by 2 scores, whether the game is played in the teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, whatever.

Blue Hens and their crowd all over Talley and company with some major Payback for the last few seasons in mind.

ngineer
November 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
'nova must win to continue playing. If Sczcur can't go, I don't see how they have a shot. Hens should be able to score >30 and I don't see the Wildcats doing that without their star.

UncleSam
November 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
If UD's OL gives Devlin the kind of the time he received vs UMass, I expect the Hens to ring up a lot of passing yards, points and a big 'W' on Nova.

NovaWildcat
November 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Win and we're in. Don't think anyone can dispute that.

Hear rumblings that Szczur might return. If so, not idea how close he'll be to full strength. Everyone's been hush-hush on this. There's pretty much 2 schools of thought; 1. he's injured a lot worse than we think, he has no hope of playing, but we just haven't been told or 2. his injury isn't terrible, but he's being kept out as a precaution because he's got a professional baseball career ahead of him and there's no reason to risk that.

UD's been rolling and this is going to be tough. I really don't think we're as bad as some think - we've made an incredible amount of turnovers lately. Definitely think we'll be able to score on Saturday - just hope our defense, which is beat up and not playing well, can hold the Hens to a reasonable score.

VUCats02
November 14th, 2010, 10:23 PM

You heard it here first. 38-34 Delaware wins :-P

Like I said before, I believe this game will be close and it will be a shootout. I'm confident Nova will make this game competitive and the game will be won in the 4th quarter, I'm just not getting my hopes up for the W. No point in getting your hopes up - if you do, you will be crushed if your team actually loses. If they win, it will be a wonderful bonus.

UNH Fanboi
November 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Nova is still very dangerous. UNH needed to catch some breaks and play their best offensive football in order to win. I would not want to rematch them in the playoffs.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
What was the last National Champion to miss the playoffs the following year?

HensRock
November 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
What was the last National Champion to miss the playoffs the following year?

JMU 2004

VUCats02
November 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
When did the last national champion have to play a schedule like Nova's this year? :-P

The CAA schedule this year is harder than it has ever been because of the lack of Hofstra and Northeastern. To go along with the CAA schedule, all of Nova's OOC FCS games have been against playoff caliber teams (UPenn would be in the playoffs no doubt if Ivy league schools participated), and oh yeah, there's Temple who has only lost 2 FBS games including a nailbiter to Penn State.

henfan
November 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Here's hoping the words 'Villanova' and 'playoffs' will be mutually exclusive next Saturday at about 3:30 p.m.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
When did the last national champion have to play a schedule like Nova's this year? :-P

The CAA schedule this year is harder than it has ever been because of the lack of Hofstra and Northeastern. To go along with the CAA schedule, all of Nova's OOC FCS games have been against playoff caliber teams (UPenn would be in the playoffs no doubt if Ivy league schools participated), and oh yeah, there's Temple who has only lost 2 FBS games including a nailbiter to Penn State.

It is possible that all four seeds from last year will not make the expanded field this year. Wow.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Stop it with the "playoff caliber" talk - anyone in the playoffs would love to be paired up against a Penn or a Lehigh, two of nova's OOC teams. Some poor teams make the playoffs every year, it doesn't make them any better quality-wise.

And nova just has to look at themselves - when you lose to Rhode Island like the way nova did then complaining about the schedule is just an excuse. There's no reason why nova shouldn't have been in the playoffs this year with what was returning and in what is an expanded playoff field. There's a reason why, come late Saturday, that there could only be two teams in the past 13 years to not make the playoffs as defending champs - it's just hard to do that.

NovaWildcat
November 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's not a thread about Nova until GannonFan chimes in slamming the team and misinterpreting something that a nova fan said.

The schedule wasn't too difficult - no one will dispute that. If we don't make the playoffs, it's our own fault. We all know that. No need to beat a dead horse.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's not a thread about Nova until GannonFan chimes in slamming the team and misinterpreting something that a nova fan said.

The schedule wasn't too difficult - no one will dispute that. If we don't make the playoffs, it's our own fault. We all know that. No need to beat a dead horse.

But it sure is fun to beat a dead horse when that horse is Nova!

NovaWildcat
November 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
But it sure is fun to beat a dead horse when that horse is Nova!

Not dead yet, my friend.

GSUhooligan
November 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Go Blue Hens! Make room for us boys!

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Tell me again what I'm misinterpreting? It appears the totality of that prior post is all about how hard the schedule was and how no former champ has faced such a schedule. Tell me how you read into that post that that poster agrees the schedule wasn't too difficult. xshhhx

NovaWildcat
November 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Tell me again what I'm misinterpreting? It appears the totality of that prior post is all about how hard the schedule was and how no former champ has faced such a schedule. Tell me how you read into that post that that poster agrees the schedule wasn't too difficult. xshhhx

Didn't say anything like "no former champ has faced such a schedule" and that it was "too difficult." Just said how we're playing a tough schedule and there were no real patsies on there. Obviously we controlled our own destiny, and if we lose against UD it's no one's fault rather than our own. Besides the W&M where we got handled, we've had a great shot to win our loses and can easily blame ourselves.

Not sure where you get off on this thread anyway - your team played West Chester and Duquense this year. Granted, it's quite obvious that UD has had the stronger team, but that doesn't disregard the fact that we've played a tough schedule.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Didn't say anything like "no former champ has faced such a schedule" and that it was "too difficult." Just said how we're playing a tough schedule and there were no real patsies on there. Obviously we controlled our own destiny, and if we lose against UD it's no one's fault rather than our own. Besides the W&M where we got handled, we've had a great shot to win our loses and can easily blame ourselves.

Not sure where you get off on this thread anyway - your team played West Chester and Duquense this year. Granted, it's quite obvious that UD has had the stronger team, but that doesn't disregard the fact that we've played a tough schedule.

Uh, look at the quote above you - that's the quote I was referring to with the "no former champ has faces such a schedule" - that's where I get off on this thread. Try to keep up man.

And really, in one post you write, and I quote:
The schedule wasn't too difficult - no one will dispute that. and now in this latest post you say, and I quote again:
but that doesn't disregard the fact that we've played a tough schedule. Really covering every angle possible, aren't you? xlolx

VUCats02
November 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Stop it with the "playoff caliber" talk - anyone in the playoffs would love to be paired up against a Penn or a Lehigh, two of nova's OOC teams. Some poor teams make the playoffs every year, it doesn't make them any better quality-wise.

And nova just has to look at themselves - when you lose to Rhode Island like the way nova did then complaining about the schedule is just an excuse. There's no reason why nova shouldn't have been in the playoffs this year with what was returning and in what is an expanded playoff field. There's a reason why, come late Saturday, that there could only be two teams in the past 13 years to not make the playoffs as defending champs - it's just hard to do that.

This quote makes me laugh for two reasons.

1) UPenn would play Delaware and any other CAA team competitively this year. Their defense is so good, Devlin would be scratching his head after he saw it. Have you even seen UPenn play this year? Probably not. I have seen them in at least 4 games this year on TV. Kind of funny that you are basing that assumption for the sole reason that they are in the ivy league.

2) "There's no reason why Nova shouldn't be in the playoffs this year" - You make it sound like Nova is already out of the playoffs and are assuming Delaware will win Saturday. While they will be favored, I would not count Nova out yet. Their losses to UNH and Rhode Island came from having slow starts and not being able to catch up. Do you really think Nova will come out slow three weeks in a row against their main football rival in Delaware? I hardly think so. It will be a good game, and Nova will be in contention to win it in the 4th quarter, though it is more likely that they will not be good or healthy enough to pull it off - it's still very possible that they can.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM

This quote makes me laugh for two reasons.

1) UPenn would play Delaware and any other CAA team competitively this year. Their defense is so good, Devlin would be scratching his head after he saw it. Have you even seen UPenn play this year? Probably not. I have seen them in at least 4 games this year on TV. Kind of funny that you are basing that assumption for the sole reason that they are in the ivy league.

2) "There's no reason why Nova shouldn't be in the playoffs this year" - You make it sound like Nova is already out of the playoffs and are assuming Delaware will win Saturday. While they will be favored, I would not count Nova out yet. Their losses to UNH and Rhode Island came from having slow starts and not being able to catch up. Do you really think Nova will come out slow three weeks in a row against their main football rival in Delaware? I hardly think so. It will be a good game, and Nova will be in contention to win it in the 4th quarter, though it is more likely that they will not be good or healthy enough to pull it off - it's still very possible that they can.

Dude, I get the same TV you do - I've seen Penn play just as often as you have. And yeah, Devlin would light them up. Penn would be happy to win a couple of games in the CAA. Has nothing to do with the conference they're in, just a matter of how good they are.

VUCats02
November 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
You do not know that Penn would only win a couple of games in the CAA. That is an impossible assumption to make. UPenn is rightfully ranked in the top 25 of the FCS polls. They have been there for more than 1 season straight now.

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Go Villanova! Beat Delaware! If Delaware loses, and W&M wins, W&M takes the CAA and the AQ ;)

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Similar situation with Richmond @ W&M... And an EPIC rivalry...

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Let's just agree that W&M doesn't want to lose 2 in a row and skid into the playoffs... Especially with an impressive home winning streak at stake, and home-field in the playoffs in the balance.

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Here's hoping the words 'Villanova' and 'playoffs' will be mutually exclusive next Saturday at about 3:30 p.m.

All the W&M fans out there are hoping Villanova pulls off the upset... ;)

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Not dead yet, my friend.

I'm with you, NovaWildcat... C'Mon 'Nova, beat Delaware!!! You can do it!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
All the W&M fans out there are hoping Villanova pulls off the upset... ;)

Depending on how the Richmond game goes, W&M fans may want to see Delaware win.

NovaWildcat
November 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
GannonFan, "too tough" in the sense that no Villanova fan is saying that we're upset with our schedule. If we miss the playoffs, it's not because of our schedule.

That is not to say our schedule wasn't difficult.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
You do not know that Penn would only win a couple of games in the CAA. That is an impossible assumption to make. UPenn is rightfully ranked in the top 25 of the FCS polls. They have been there for more than 1 season straight now.

Squeaked by Lafayette this year. I see Penn as a good to very good Patriot League team, for comparison purposes. They'd probably be like Rhode Island is in the CAA - capable of pulling off an upset here or there, but year in and year out they'd stuggle to be .500 at best in the conference.

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Squeaked by Lafayette this year? How do you expect a football team to show up with their best stuff every week when they play a schedule like UPenn's? They are a lot better than squeaking by Lafayette, I can assure you that.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Squeaked by Lafayette this year? How do you expect a football team to show up with their best stuff every week when they play a schedule like UPenn's? They are a lot better than squeaking by Lafayette, I can assure you that.

So you're saying it's hard to get up for every game and put away a team like Lafayette (a team that's 2-8 in the Patriot League, having lost to Georgetown, and who played the Penn game without their starting QB and who was up on Penn until Penn scored late in the 4th to win) and an Ivy League schedule, but somehow, if Penn were to play in the CAA, where the competition is far harder, that they would find the going easier? Come on, junior, you gotta come to the table with something better than this.

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
No, I'm saying if UPenn was playing better competition, they would play even better than they are now, so you can't use a game against Lafayette for your reasoning that UPenn is not a playoff caliber team. The New Orleans Saints got crushed by the Browns this year, and the very next week they completely outplayed and defeated the Steelers. It's hard to play well against dogs. Teams are not as mentally prepared. It's just a rule of thumb that teams perform much better when they are playing quality competition. I'm not saying UPenn would find the going easier in the CAA - you seem to be good at misinterpreting what people say. I am saying that they are a playoff caliber team and have one of the best defenses in FCS. You don't have to agree with me - it's simply my opinion based on what I've seen from them this year.

superman7515
November 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well then by that reasoning, I'm glad to know my favorite Redskins will be winning the Super Bowl because someone certainly got up to beat the living shiz out of them last night. So you're saying there's a chance!?! YES!

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
No, I'm saying if UPenn was playing better competition, they would play even better than they are now, so you can't use a game against Lafayette for your reasoning that UPenn is not a playoff caliber team. The New Orleans Saints got crushed by the Browns this year, and the very next week they completely outplayed and defeated the Steelers. It's hard to play well against dogs. Teams are not as mentally prepared. It's just a rule of thumb that teams perform much better when they are playing quality competition. I'm not saying UPenn would find the going easier in the CAA - you seem to be good at misinterpreting what people say. I am saying that they are a playoff caliber team and have one of the best defenses in FCS. You don't have to agree with me - it's simply my opinion based on what I've seen from them this year.

There is no rule of thumb that teams play much better when facing quality competition. Heck, you'd think the FCS record versus FBS teams would be better than something like 5-75 every year if that was a valid rule of thumb. Frankly, I think it's just some way you're trying to paper over the fact that nova didn't show up when they played Penn or URI, with the last one beating them. Shame on you. xnonono2x

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Really?? I can use examples from ANY sport on any level to prove you wrong. Both the Saints and Patriots got crushed by the pathetic, measly browns, and literally the week after, they both crush the steelers who are regarded as one of the best teams in the NFL. Why is that??? Are the Browns honestly better than the steelers and patriots? Of course they aren't - but if you're Tom Brady or Drew Brees, how do you go in with the same mentality playing a dog like the Browns as playing in a huge, playoff-implication game against the Steelers? Delaware didn't exactly play their best football against Rhode Island if I recall. But they sure as hell played lights out against Umass - it was a much bigger game. Don't tell me that teams play their best against teams they should rightfully beat. Teams will more often that not, lose to teams that they shouldn't lose to or barely squeak by a team they should crush.

It's just common sense that teams would play better against better quality opponents. How on earth is a team supposed to get pumped up to play Lafayette??? UPenn's 4 biggest games this year have been Nova, Harvard, Yale, and Brown. Those are the 4 games UPenn played their best football. Don't even try to say Delaware will play with the same effort against Rhode Island as they would against W&M or Nova. It just doesn't happen.

YoUDeeMan
November 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Really?? I can use examples from ANY sport on any level to prove you wrong. Both the Saints and Patriots got crushed by the pathetic, measly browns, and literally the week after, they both crush the steelers who are regarded as one of the best teams in the NFL. Why is that??? Are the Browns honestly better than the steelers and patriots? Of course they aren't - but if you're Tom Brady or Drew Brees, how do you go in with the same mentality playing a dog like the Browns as playing in a huge, playoff-implication game against the Steelers? Delaware didn't exactly play their best football against Rhode Island if I recall. But they sure as hell played lights out against Umass - it was a much bigger game. Don't tell me that teams play their best against teams they should rightfully beat. Teams will more often that not, lose to teams that they shouldn't lose to or barely squeak by a team they should crush.

It's just common sense that teams would play better against better quality opponents. How on earth is a team supposed to get pumped up to play Lafayette??? UPenn's 4 biggest games this year have been Nova, Harvard, Yale, and Brown. Those are the 4 games UPenn played their best football. Don't even try to say Delaware will play with the same effort against Rhode Island as they would against W&M or Nova. It just doesn't happen.

Stop reaching...you can pull off examples for anything you want...UD played well against Towson. We must have thought they were the Super Bowl champs. xlolx

VUCats02
November 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Well obviously you aren't going to slack off every single game against a dog - I'm just saying it happens a couple times every football season. If Delaware played 5 teams from the patriot league this year, and had the same team that they have now, they would play horrible in 1 or 2 of those games. That's all I'm saying.

clawman
November 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM

FCS game of the week could be in Montana- The Grizzlies are fighting to keep their long playoff run alive and the Bobcats want to win the Big Sky outright in...forever.

superman7515
November 17th, 2010, 07:19 AM
FCS game of the week could be in Montana- The Grizzlies are fighting to keep their long playoff run alive and the Bobcats want to win the Big Sky outright in...forever.

Could be. Shame it isn't. Maybe they should've played it last week.