PDA

View Full Version : What will the New Polls Look Like

purplejacks
November 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Three Top 10 Teams bit the dust, so what will the polls look like this week with only one week to go? You sure dont want to lose in the last week, the COMMITTEE hates losers.

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

TwoFeathers
November 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Three Top 10 Teams bit the dust, so what will the polls look like this week with only one week to go? You sure dont want to lose in the last week, the COMMITTEE hates losers.

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

Delaware #1, and I don't think W&M drops to #10. Wofford should fall further, IMO.

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

never thought I would see the day when there could be more BSC than CAA teams in the top 10...caa really starting to beat up on one another.

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

Generally agreed except for Montana. They have a worse record than NDSU, and they played a too-close game against a horrible North Dakota team today. W&M I would nudge up to 9 and put NDSU at 10.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'd put UNI in the top 10, especially over SEMO. What has SEMO done?

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Generally agreed except for Montana. They have a worse record than NDSU, and they played a too-close game against a horrible North Dakota team today. W&M I would nudge up to 9 and put NDSU at 10.

wow W&M falling 8-9 spots seems a little extreme, i know JMU is a borderline top 25 team, but ASU just lost to a borderline top 25 team and only fell a couple spots, granted it was their first loss. I still think that W&M is a top 5-6 team....

Redhawk2010
November 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'd put UNI in the top 10, especially over SEMO. What has SEMO done?

Oh I don't know.. 9 straight wins and 1 FCS loss to a Top 10 team. By 2! With 11 seconds to go in the game.

But you're right.. they haven't done anything...

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oh I don't know.. 9 straight wins and 1 FCS loss to a Top 10 team. By 2! With 11 seconds to go in the game.

I'm not saying kick them out of the top 15, but top 10 probably not. Give me the MVFC champ, SEMO doesn't have a quality win. They have a lot of wins and a close loss to a quality team.

TwoFeathers
November 13th, 2010, 08:51 PM
wow W&M falling 8-9 spots seems a little extreme, i know JMU is a borderline top 25 team, but ASU just lost to a borderline top 25 team and only fell a couple spots, granted it was their first loss. I still think that W&M is a top 5-6 team....

Agreed, if you're going to give App State the benefit of the doubt after a loss to Georgia Southern, then you have to give W&M the benefit of wins over #1 Villanova (at the time...), #2 Delaware, and #8 New Hampshire. Not to mention playing UNC tough on the road with injuries.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

1. Delaware
2. Appy
3. EWU
4. W&M
5. Jacksonville State
6. Wofford
7. SEMO
8. Montana State
9. Montana
10. SFA

Appy doesn't leapfrong UD since both teams won, the Wofford win was nice, but Wofford was a bit overrated coming into this week. Jax State recovers from their unexpected loss to EKU, but still isn't top four material. W&M may have an outside shot at missing the playoffs after the loss today, but that's an outside chance, and a lot of things have to happen for that situation to occur. Wofford is a solid #6, SEMO has some nice wins, but I'm still not convinced they belong higher, and this crazy season just gets crazier with MSU squeaking by Montana in the top ten.

I don't really want to put SFA in the top ten, but I don't know who would replace them. UNH is a contender, but doesn't have the record yet and has a couple ugly losses, and UNI's losses thus far are worse than SFA's.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
1. Delaware
2. Appy
3. EWU
4. W&M
5. Jacksonville State
6. Wofford
7. SEMO
8. Montana State
9. Montana
10. SFA

Appy doesn't leapfrong UD since both teams won, the Wofford win was nice, but Wofford was a bit overrated coming into this week. Jax State recovers from their unexpected loss to EKU, but still isn't top four material. W&M may have an outside shot at missing the playoffs after the loss today, but that's an outside chance, and a lot of things have to happen for that situation to occur. Wofford is a solid #6, SEMO has some nice wins, but I'm still not convinced they belong higher, and this crazy season just gets crazier with MSU squeaking by Montana in the top ten.

I don't really want to put SFA in the top ten, but I don't know who would replace them. UNH is a contender, but doesn't have the record yet and has a couple ugly losses, and UNI's losses thus far are worse than SFA's.

Please tell me what nice win SEMO has?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM

SIU and WIU are both decent. The Bison have some good ones too, and Kansas is certainly a big one. I admit I have a mental block when it comes to the Dakota schools, I know one or two aren't playoff eligible, so I just toss them aside when doing rankings, but I can never remember which ones they are, I should work on that.

UNI Pike
November 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM
UNI's worst lost was definitely to Iowa State (an up an down team this year). Probably should have won SFA game. SIU is the closest thing we have to a rivalry game. Outside ugly loss to a FBS team, UNI has done ok.

Maybe not top 10, but would be close.

JSU85GRAD
November 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
1. UD
2. App
3. EWU
4. JSU
5. W&M
6. Montana St
7. SFA
8. Wofford
9. Montana
10. SEMO

Can't see how you can keep UD from moving into the top spot. Wouldn't argue with Appy at 1 however. Wofford has to drop and may be too high at 8. Next week will be huge in the CAA and will shape the seeding.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
SIU and WIU are both decent. The Bison have some good ones too, and Kansas is certainly a big one. I admit I have a mental block when it comes to the Dakota schools, I know one or two aren't playoff eligible, so I just toss them aside when doing rankings, but I can never remember which ones they are, I should work on that.

They didn't beat WIU. SIU was ok, but they are 4-6.

Redhawk2010
November 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM

Tell me who UNI has beaten?

SEMO has beaten the Salukis (#5 at the time), The EIU Panthers (picked to finish 2nd in OVC in pre-season), and battled well in both of their losses. The Redhawks have put together a solid season. They shouldn't be falling hard after losing to a team ranked ahead of them...

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I would go something like (I don't vote, this is just a quick sketch):

1. Delaware
2. App State
3. EWU
4. Jacksonville State
5. W&M
6. Montana State
7. Montana
8. SFA
9. Wofford
10. SEMO

UNI Pike
November 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
SEMO has the OVC curse to contend with. Not of your making, but it is still there.

UNI has beat NDSU. We will be playing WIU next week. 2 point lose to SFA in a game where we had 3 lost fumbles in the red zone. I would take UNI in a rematch given how much better the team is playing now.

One other thing - UNI did not have a bye week this year. We had the first week off, then played a conference game. Its been a long road so far.

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
What is with Montana in all these top 10's? I guess we have our answer of why the continue to be relatively high

smallcollegefbfan
November 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM

1. App State
2. Delaware
3. Eastern Washington
4. Jacksonville State
5. Montana State
6. SFA
7. Wofford
8. SEMO
9. Montana
10. Wm Mary

Well all of those teams except App have a key game that could affect seeding. Florida will beat App but App has injured players they will hold out and have already wrapped up the SoCon title so they will be the exception to that rule. I don't see any way ASU is not at least the number two seed.

With that said I believe Delaware will be the number one team in the TSN poll but ASU should get a good bit of votes while possibly EWU, MSU, JSU, and Bethune-Cookman might get at least one. With that said, based on how this weekend went I believe only UD or ASU should get a number one vote this week.

Redhawk2010
November 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
SEMO has the OVC curse to contend with. Not of your making, but it is still there.

UNI has beat NDSU. We will be playing WIU next week. 2 point lose to SFA in a game where we had 3 lost fumbles in the red zone. I would take UNI in a rematch given how much better the team is playing now.

One other thing - UNI did not have a bye week this year. We had the first week off, then played a conference game. Its been a long road so far.

I'm not completely saying UNI shouldn't be ranked high. My point is he has stated that SEMO has no quality wins, but he hasn't come out and shown that UNI does. SEMO has their bye week coming up. It's just the way the schedule ended up working out this season. The nice thing is the Redhawks will continue practicing whereas in years past they'd be packing it in for the season now..

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM
What is with Montana in all these top 10's? I guess we have our answer of why the continue to be relatively high

Yep, and I'm sure many Griz fans would agree they are not a top 10 team right now.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
They didn't beat WIU. SIU was ok, but they are 4-6.

My mistake, it was EIU. And apparently it's UND (and maybe USD? they're bad this year so I guess it doesn't matter) that are ineligible... For so long all anyone had to pay attention to west of the Mississippi for playoffs was Montana, this year it's all jumbled up.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm not completely saying UNI shouldn't be ranked high. My point is he has stated that SEMO has no quality wins, but he hasn't come out and shown that UNI does. SEMO has their bye week coming up. It's just the way the schedule ended up working out this season. The nice thing is the Redhawks will continue practicing whereas in years past they'd be packing it in for the season now..

UNI beat NDSU. Quality win.
UNI plays in the MVFC which is the #3 conference according to GPI.

No offense to SEMO but it is hard to put a team in the top 10 that doesn't have one top 25 win.

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM

You said just what I was thinking.

theasushow

I was wondering the same thing...I didnt look but pretty sure they are around 15ish right now. Dont think todays win proved they belonged in the top 10.

FargoBison
My mistake, it was EIU. And apparently it's UND (and maybe USD? they're bad this year so I guess it doesn't matter) that are ineligible... For so long all anyone had to pay attention to west of the Mississippi for playoffs was Montana, this year it's all jumbled up.

Yep for this year and next UND and USD are both ineligable. NDSU and SDSU are eligable, SDSU made the playoffs last year.

Things willl probably get more confusing when NDSU, SDSU and USD all are playing in the same conference in 2012.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Tell me who UNI has beaten?

SEMO has beaten the Salukis (#5 at the time), The EIU Panthers (picked to finish 2nd in OVC in pre-season), and battled well in both of their losses. The Redhawks have put together a solid season. They shouldn't be falling hard after losing to a team ranked ahead of them...

No matter how high SIU was ranked to start the season or where EIU was picked in the pre-season (which were both based on conjecture, not play on the field), the reality is...the two teams are a combined 6-15. I am not saying this to pick on SEMO, who is having a great year, just not sure that this is the best way to argue your point.

Redhawk2010
November 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
No matter how high SIU was ranked to start the season or where EIU was picked in the pre-season (which were both based on conjecture, not play on the field), the reality is...the two teams are a combined 6-15. I am not saying this to pick on SEMO, who is having a great year, just not sure that this is the best way to argue your point.

But AT THE TIME, the Salukis were ranked #5 WHEN SEMO BEAT THEM in week 3. How do we know that SIU didn't collapse because of the loss to SEMO? Maybe if SIU wins that game, they go on to make the playoffs. Of course we'll never know. But at the time that's what they were expected to do. How can you fault the Redhawks for what SIU has done since? Why didn't App fall further after losing to an unranked team? Why didn't JSU fall further after losing to an unranked team? SEMO should not fall far (yes they'll probably fall a little) for losing to a team ranked above them. Not in a close game like that... blowout sure but not when the winning TD is scored with only seconds to go...

Redbirdz
November 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Jacksonville State should be 3 or 4.

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Jacksonville State should be 3 or 4.

Based on what? They lost by 12 to EKU

Oh right they beat Ole Miss - jump on and tell me how great that win was again!

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
But AT THE TIME, the Salukis were ranked #5 WHEN SEMO BEAT THEM in week 3. How do we know that SIU didn't collapse because of the loss to SEMO? Maybe if SIU wins that game, they go on to make the playoffs. Of course we'll never know. But at the time that's what they were expected to do. How can you fault the Redhawks for what SIU has done since? Why didn't App fall further after losing to an unranked team? Why didn't JSU fall further after losing to an unranked team? SEMO should not fall far (yes they'll probably fall a little) for losing to a team ranked above them. Not in a close game like that... blowout sure but not when the winning TD is scored with only seconds to go...

Whew, take the chip off your shoulder, brother. I wasn't arguing against your ranking...I merely said that your argument wasn't the best.

And quite frankly your follow up argument is even worse. This is exactly why it is stupid to look at polls (or even conduct polls) early in the season...all ranking up to that point are conjecture, based on the past season and what you "think" a team is supposed to do.

You're better argument would have to just said..."look, we only have two losses and one of them is to a top 5-7 team in country on a last minute score" (I watched the game, it was a great contest). You don't have to sugar coat it with some crap than no smart sports fan is going to swallow, even SIU fans know they aren't a top 25 team this year...and to throw EIU in there is just plain silly...they're terrible (and that's being kind).

Redhawk2010
November 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry I'm just tired of the MVFC people thinking their S$$$ don't stink and how much better they are than the OVC. The OVC and MVFC went 2-2 against each other this year. SEMO beat SIU and Murray beat Missouri State while Missouri State beat EKU and Illinois State beat EIU. If the MVFC is so much better, that shouldn't happen. If everybody else is going to list the ranked teams they beat, then I shouldn't get pounded on for doing the same. We all realize SIU is not what they were a year ago, but when SEMO beat them we did not know that.

I'm disappointed I missed the game today. Frankly, if SEMO would have been playing just about anywhere else in the OVC with this on the line, I would have been there. Jacksonville State is just too far of a trip for me... instead I got to go to the Illinois game and watch ugliness there :(

UNI Pike
November 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
SEMO is something +/- 100 in the NCAA ranking tough of schedules, based on win / loss record of opponents. Jax ST is +/- 50. UNI is +/- 30, and has the 3rd toughest schedule of the MVFC teams.

JaxSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Based on what? They lost by 12 to EKU

Oh right they beat Ole Miss - jump on and tell me how great that win was again!

It was really, really, really great. Today's win was almost as good, though. Beat a top-10 team that brought a powerful running game and a solid defense. Did it in dramatic fashion, playing with ice in their veins late in the game to get the winning score. Got points on all five trips into the red zone. Saw our starting running back go out and managed to get 100+ yards from the third-stringer. Defense was outstanding in the first half, good enough to win later. A couple of bad snaps, some problems hanging onto the ball and a few bum calls by our coaching staff helped make it interesting. SEMO played a great game, too.

All that's worth climbing over the two losers from the top 5 today, I'd think.

JSU02
November 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I would not be surprised if we jumped EWU.

Gil Dobie
November 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
UNI looks like a sleeper pick this year, coming in under the radar. Most have EWU ahead of Montana St, the same Montana St that won the head-to-head meeting.

OldSouth
November 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm just glad no APP fans are on here trying to justify their position. I still think the CAA is strong with great parity. All the beating up om each other I don't know if that shows there is no clear top dominate teams or a group of just good teams. Reminds me of the Southern conference of the past where on any given year someone would step up.

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'm just glad no APP fans are on here trying to justify their position. I still think the CAA is strong with great parity. All the beating up om each other I don't know if that shows there is no clear top dominate teams or a group of just good teams. Reminds me of the Southern conference of the past where on any given year someone would step up.

agreed, unfortunately i am pretty sure ASU couldn't win 26 in a row in the CAA....just being honest. I have no problem with the top CAA team being ranked first.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
The CAA has made an absolute mess of my polls. I have no idea what to do with all these four loss teams, it might take an hour just to sort everything out tomorrow.

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
The CAA has made an absolute mess of my polls. I have no idea what to do with all these four loss teams, it might take an hour just to sort everything out tomorrow.

yeah I am looking over the current polls and results trying to get mine in order....8-16 is killing me.

Redbirdz
November 13th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Nice win over West Chester Bird.

tribe_pride
November 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM

For me, it's by default. With the exception of a few teams, nobody really seems to want to be in the top 10. I was surprised when I saw myself putting them in the top 10.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Can't we just put them all in a four-way tie for T-13 or so?

heath
November 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I think EWU is ranked too high. 2 loses and 4 wins by 7 or less(with that schedule) just doesn't add up to a top 10 team. I guess the playoffs will tell the storyxtwocentsx

inpsite1919
November 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I think Buthune Cookman will be ranked in the top ten this week, I know not in this poll, but will be for the other Polls.

heath
November 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Montana has 3 loses and 3 wins by 3 pts or less, with a big game this week. They need to beat Montana St to make the playoffs,yet some have them ranked in the top 10?????
Is the Big Sky that good?,or just living off the past?

tribe_pride
November 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Can't we just put them all in a four-way tie for T-13 or so?

Funny you say that because without realizing I had done that, I have Mass, NH, Richmond, and Villanova at 12-15 (not that order just did alphabetical here)

Montana has 3 loses and 3 wins by 3 pts or less, with a big game this week. They need to beat Montana St to make the playoffs,yet some have them ranked in the top 10?????
Is the Big Sky that good?,or just living off the past?

For me, it's because everyone else is losing as well.

Look at it this way:
0 Loss teams:
Bethune Cookman - according Sagarin they have the easiest schedule in all of Division I

1 Loss teams
Delaware - obvious top 10 (my 1 but some will say App. St)
Penn - tough to rank in top 10 but some may since they lost to Nova and then only play Ivy and Patriot teams
Jax St - top 10 team in most minds
Jax and Dayton - among worst 15 schedules in sagarin
App St - obvious top 10 (1 or 2 in most after this week I assume)

2 Loss Teams
Eastern Wash - top 10 for most voters
Montana St - top 10 or close for most voters
Yale - weak schedule
SC St - 4th worst schedule
Robert Morris - most people's top 20 but schedule holds back
SEMO - no great wins
Lehigh - schedule and no great wins
Wofford - will be interesting to see how much they drop after yesterday's blow out and best wins against GA Southern and Elon
SFA - most top 10
Grambling - no top wins and schedule

There is just not enough great 0-2 loss teams this year to knock Montana outside the top 10 (I didn't feel like doing the same for 3 loss teams in this post). I just went quickly through so I may have missed 1 or 2 but think I got all.

While Montana hasn't been the most impressive, they are as good as anyone else around 10. This year just seems tougher after the first few than previous years. Everyone has their issues this year but maybe the top 2 or 3. Doesn't mean others can't go on a roll and win, they've just been the most consistent.

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Good job Tribe. Yes, it was difficult to keep out Big Fluffy Montana this week from the top 10. Putting them at 12 and Wofford at 11 with SEMO at 10 and UNI at 9. Just no one really wants to be in the top10 this year as others have alluded to. Everyone is at 15-25.

Similar CAA note: all 6-4 teams for me are 18-21. Yes, too low for how good they are but 6-4 is 6-4. 7-4 will but them back up next week for who ever can get there...

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
CAA team X has 4 loses and 3 close wins , with a big game this week. They need to beat Team X to make the playoffs,yet some have them ranked in the top 10?????
Is the CAA that good?,or just living off the past?

fixedxsmiley_wix

heath
November 14th, 2010, 12:23 PM
fixedxsmiley_wix
Which CAA team are you referring to?

Walkon79
November 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Serious question for all you pollsters out there. What do you do with the BSC teams if the Cats knock off the Griz at Wa-Griz on Saturday?

The Cats would have the AQ and the head-to-head over the Eagles. Do any of you consider flip-flopping them in the polls? I seriously don't get why EWU is ranked higher right now.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Serious question for all you pollsters out there. What do you do with the BSC teams if the Cats knock off the Griz at Wa-Griz on Saturday?

The Cats would have the AQ and the head-to-head over the Eagles. Do any of you consider flip-flopping them in the polls? I seriously don't get why EWU is ranked higher right now.

They would flip in my poll.

Walkon79
November 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Follow-up question. Does a 9-2 BSC champion get a seed, regardless if its MSU or EWU?

Squealofthepig
November 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What FargoBison said - that would flip them in my poll as well. There's only two spots between them in mine anyway, and a road win vs. the Griz would be more impressive than a home win vs. Idaho State.

It will be interesting to see what the committee does in that situation - EWU probably would still be ranked higher (their loss vs. MSU more understandable than a loss to NAU), but MSU gets the AQ, so which, if either, team gets a seed could be intriguing.

heath
November 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thank God there is a playoff in FCS and don't have to depend upon polls and computers to pick the BCS #1 vs #2. Picking the 20 teams and seedeing them next week will not be fun, but at least they will settle it on the field. So to answer the question about the polls, it really doesn't matter.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Nice win over West Chester Bird.

I really doubt you want to compare schedules with me

100%GRIZ
November 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM

BIG IF!

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM

I think it's 3 parts, one of which makes sense, one of which is an unfortunate circumstance that many voters use, and the other is just ridiculous

1) Timing - You guys drilled EWU, but that was coming of a huge emotional game for EWU showing off their red turf and beating Montana. They have had close calls since, but nothing but wins. When you guys got drilled by NAU a few weeks later, it really hurt you in the rankings.

2) Tradition - it's why Montana somehow is above the top 15, let alone the top 10. People don't necessarily realize how great of a year MSU is having b/c they aren't an everyday name.

3) Related to 2, you have to remember that polls are based on everybody's opinion. I saw a guy on this board, who doesn't vote mind you, but has Montana in the top 10 and MSU at 22 in his "proposed poll" this week! Now he doesn't vote but imagine if there are others out there who do the same that actually do have a say. That completely screws with your ranking.

Personally, I do have EWU slightly ahead of MSU, but I would bet I have MSU well above quite a few voters.

My top 5:

1) UD
2) ASU
3) EWU
4) W&M
5) MSU

I am pulling for MSU this week and definitely think they are in the running for a top 5 seed with a win

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
:D

The Cats would have the AQ and the head-to-head over the Eagles. Do any of you consider flip-flopping them in the polls? I seriously don't get why EWU is ranked higher right now. they would pass them in mine.

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Which CAA team are you referring to?

I'm referring to Team X, take your pick, there's about four of them now with 3 and 4 L's, right? Your question of the big sky just seemed so much more appropriate to be asked of the CAA "Is the CAA that good?,or just living off the past?"xsmiley_wix

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm referring to Team X, take your pick, there's about four of them now with 3 and 4 L's, right? Your question of the big sky just seemed so much more appropriate to be asked of the CAA "Is the CAA that good?,or just living off the past?"xsmiley_wix

I don't know, they're 17-3 OOC in FCS. The three losses were by Maine, URI and Towson.

GreatAppSt
November 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I don't know, they're 17-3 OOC in FCS. The three losses were by Maine, URI and Towson. Those 4 4 loss teams played the other 17 OOC games this season?xeyebrowx

Go Apps
November 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I think it's 3 parts, one of which makes sense, one of which is an unfortunate circumstance that many voters use, and the other is just ridiculous

1) Timing - You guys drilled EWU, but that was coming of a huge emotional game for EWU showing off their red turf and beating Montana. They have had close calls since, but nothing but wins. When you guys got drilled by NAU a few weeks later, it really hurt you in the rankings.

2) Tradition - it's why Montana somehow is above the top 15, let alone the top 10. People don't necessarily realize how great of a year MSU is having b/c they aren't an everyday name.

3) Related to 2, you have to remember that polls are based on everybody's opinion. I saw a guy on this board, who doesn't vote mind you, but has Montana in the top 10 and MSU at 22 in his "proposed poll" this week! Now he doesn't vote but imagine if there are others out there who do the same that actually do have a say. That completely screws with your ranking.

Personally, I do have EWU slightly ahead of MSU, but I would bet I have MSU well above quite a few voters.

My top 5:

1) UD
2) ASU
3) EWU
4) W&M
5) MSU

I am pulling for MSU this week and definitely think they are in the running for a top 5 seed with a win

Enough with the high ranking of W&M - they need to be around 10th

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM

That's just stupid to even think there are 9 teams that deserve a higher ranking in the country

UNH72Plus
November 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Let's look at their record. They have nine wins, one against a D-II team, one against 4-7 Southern Illinois, and seven against teams in their division. Of those seven, only Tennessee Martin has a winning record, and their combined record against out of conference teams is 5-13 (three of those wins were against D-II teams).

tribefan40
November 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Based on?

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Those 4 4 loss teams played the other 17 OOC games this season?xeyebrowx

No, the 4 4-loss teams are 8-0 OOC.

UNH72Plus
November 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Those 4 4 loss teams played the other 17 OOC games this season?xeyebrowx

There are five teams, any one of which could finish at 7-4. There combined FCS OOC record is 10-0, and those wins include 2 against the Patriot league #1 team Lehigh, 1 against the Ivy league #1 Penn, 1 against the Big South #1 Stony Brook, 2 against the #1 Independent ODU, and 1 against the NEA #2 CCSU.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I really don't understand why people continue to question the credibility of the CAA - they never bring any research or facts with them. I understand outside of the SoCon (although they are the one bringing this argument) you all feel inferior and that we in the CAA are just some pompous East Coast, Northeast Biased idiots, but the facts are the facts, and you should do some research when you want to try and make any point that doesn't sound like jealousy and bitterness

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
SEMO lost by 2 points on the road to a top ten team in the last fifteen seconds. Despite the bad season being had by SIU; they've still beaten two likely playoff participants; and thus SEMO's win over them in Carbondale, which neither WIU or UNI could accomplish still holds up.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt; so I didn't drop them out of my top ten.

Furthermore, it's crazy to drop them out of the top ten, yet leave Wofford in. . . SEMO was more impressive in defeat. No disrespect to Wofford; I'm just wondering how one logically justifies a ranking like that.

TypicalTribe
November 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
1. Delaware
2. Appalachian St.
3. Eastern Washington
4. Stephen F. Austin
5. William & Mary
6. Montana St.
7. Northern Iowa
8. Jacksonville St.
9. North Dakota St.
10. Southeast Missouri St.

Problem for the CAA this year is pretty simple; with Hofstra and N'eastern gone, there's nowhere to hide and, outside of Towson, no "easy" games. When 7 Top 25-caliber teams play a round robin, someone has to lose the games and we're seeing that in everyone's records.

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
1. Delaware
2. Appalachian St.
3. Eastern Washington
4. Stephen F. Austin
5. William & Mary
6. Montana St.
7. Northern Iowa
8. Jacksonville St.
9. North Dakota St.

Problem for the CAA this year is pretty simple; with Hofstra and N'eastern gone, there's nowhere to hide and, outside of Towson, no "easy" games. When 7 Top 25-caliber teams play a round robin, someone has to lose the games and we're seeing that in everyone's records.

I think Jacksonville State moves back into the top 5 (maybe #4), with maybe W&M behind them, followed by SFA. Also, does Wofford fall out of the top 10?

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
1 Loss teams
Delaware - obvious top 10 (my 1 but some will say App. St)
Penn - tough to rank in top 10 but some may since they lost to Nova and then only play Ivy and Patriot teams
Jax St - top 10 team in most minds
Jax and Dayton - among worst 15 schedules in sagarin
App St - obvious top 10 (1 or 2 in most after this week I assume)

I don't see how Delaware doesn't move back into #1 unanimously over App State at #2. Delaware lost @ future #1 W&M by 1 point, while App State was stunned by an unranked team. Agreed App State should be #2.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
No, the 4 4-loss teams are 8-0 OOC.

And there's a five loss team that's also 3-0, including a win over a Top 25 and Va. Tech. xwhistlexxwhistlex

Appattk
November 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM
1 Delaware
2 ASU
3 EWU
4 Jacksonville St.
5 SF Austin
6 Wofford
7 William & Mary
8 Montana State
9 Bethune Cookman
10 Montana

I have a feeling that William & Mary is still going to sneak in after this week to that #5 Seed.....

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
1 Delaware
2 ASU
3 EWU
4 Jacksonville St.
5 SF Austin
6 Wofford
7 William & Mary
8 Montana State
9 Bethune Cookman
10 Montana

I have a feeling that William & Mary is still going to sneak in after this week to that #5 Seed.....

Is it really sneaking in? They had 2 road losses in conference this year and people act like they have been terrible. They were bound to drop either that JMU or this upcoming Richmond game. The UNC loss can not be viewed so harshly. I would like to think that if App goes into the Swamp and plays well they wouldn't slide much in the final poll and have already locked up a top 5 seed.

Again, somebody PLEASE explain how you can let Montana sniff your top 10, ANYBODY

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
1. Delaware
2. Appalachian St.
3. Eastern Washington
4. Stephen F. Austin
5. William & Mary
6. Montana St.
7. Northern Iowa
8. Jacksonville St.
9. North Dakota St.

IMHO, you're seeing this high parity in the MVFC also. There's a possibility that 7 MVFC teams will be 4-4 in conference this season.

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Is it really sneaking in? They had 2 road losses in conference this year and people act like they have been terrible. They were bound to drop either that JMU or this upcoming Richmond game. The UNC loss can not be viewed so harshly. I would like to think that if App goes into the Swamp and plays well they wouldn't slide much in the final poll and have already locked up a top 5 seed.

Again, somebody PLEASE explain how you can let Montana sniff your top 10, ANYBODY

I think W&M will be a seed if they beat UR. Right now I have 4 and 5 as a toss up between them and Jax St. Hard to know how the commitee will view those two teams as a case for #4 could be made for either.

I think as it stands now we are looking at two teams as essential locks for top seeds:

ASU - 1 or 2 depending on what UD does (UF game doesn't matter unless ASU wins)
EWU - 3 most likely
UD - A win and they are #1, a loss and they are #4 or #5

If UD does in fact lose this weekend. I honestly don't know who deserves the #2 seed.

btw, Montana is my #15

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
SEMO lost by 2 points on the road to a top ten team in the last fifteen seconds. Despite the bad season being had by SIU; they've still beaten two likely playoff participants; and thus SEMO's win over them in Carbondale, which neither WIU or UNI could accomplish still holds up.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt; so I didn't drop them out of my top ten.

Furthermore, it's crazy to drop them out of the top ten, yet leave Wofford in. . . SEMO was more impressive in defeat. No disrespect to Wofford; I'm just wondering how one logically justifies a ranking like that.

But some would say that Wofford played a better team than SEMO.

I do think that App is better, but they wouldn't be that much better than JSU. I think SEMO is a good team, but not quite top 10. They are just on the outside in my opinion, but of course my opinion isn't worth much. And FWIW I do not think we will be or should be ranked higher than SEMO.

Redhawk2010
November 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Let's look at their record. They have nine wins, one against a D-II team, one against 4-7 Southern Illinois, and seven against teams in their division. Of those seven, only Tennessee Martin has a winning record, and their combined record against out of conference teams is 5-13 (three of those wins were against D-II teams).

It's interesting how people will say that SIU is bad this year, but then turn around and talk about how solid that conference is. SIU beat UNI and WIU. UNI won the conference. I think SEMO should be around 10 after this weekend...

Gil Dobie
November 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's interesting how people will say that SIU is bad this year, but then turn around and talk about how solid that conference is. SIU beat UNI and WIU. UNI won the conference. I think SEMO should be around 10 after this weekend...

It's a young conference, a lot of teams were young leading to mixed results.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM
But some would say that Wofford played a better team than SEMO.

I do think that App is better, but they wouldn't be that much better than JSU. I think SEMO is a good team, but not quite top 10. They are just on the outside in my opinion, but of course my opinion isn't worth much. And FWIW I do not think we will be or should be ranked higher than SEMO.

Even if App is channeling Oregon and Auburn combined, a top ten team shouldn't lose by 20+ points to a conference mate. Examine the box scores; App rolled on Wofford.

Ultimately my point is, like is often echoed by CAA and MVFC fans, this was a good loss, on paper and by the box score. I can't penalize them heavily for that, because their performance in the game shows a close battle.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM

SIU is bad this year - they were picked (decidedly) to win the conference, and will finish with a losing record. MVFC is overall down this year.

The issue is that MVFC teams, with ugly records usually advance in the playoffs. OVC & MEAC teams with gaudy records haven't won a playoff game since 2000. From 2001 to present MEAC & OVC are 0-22 in playoffs. MVFC is 24-19 in during the same time.

Redhawk2010
November 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM
But people have talked about how good the conference is this year. And they start throwing out UNI, WIU, Indiana State, etc as examples. They call it a good conference this year with things being so close, etc. But then in the next second they tell you how bad SIU is and that SEMO shouldn't consider that a quality win. So what's that make UNI's loss to them?

I don't intend for this to be a shot at UNI. Obviously a school like that has much more of a football tradition than we do here at SEMO. (Well gee almost anybody does!) But the Redhawks have gone out and done their job this year. It's not the team's fault who they play. The players have beaten the teams they had to beat and have been competitive in the two losses. Going in, nobody thought the Redhawks would even compete with Ball State and yes Ball State is bad, but they put up the money for SEMO to go there and play FBS. Jacksonville State was an amazing game that just went the other way.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
That is why SEMO/OVC has the playoffs to earn some respect. Getting respect at this level isn't hard and it isn't like anyone here is saying SEMO shouldn't make the playoffs.

unigriff
November 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Traditionally if you look back, SIU has been the cream of the crop in the MVFC with UNI with dashes of greatness from YSU and WIU. UNI has 5 outta the last 10 titles, SIU 3. Last 6 years its been all UNI/SIU.

SIU was hampered early and often with injuries and suspensions which left the heavy favorites vulnerable and yet they still showed they could play with anyone. I agree that the conference is young but I wouldn't say down...WIU played above expectations with a veteran line and QB, Ind. State had a good recruiting class and played with a very young but talented team, they played above expectations..UNI played right where they were expected to but just happens the chips fell where it worked out in their favor. (UNI should be the heavy favorite next year with this young young team). The real downers were YSU and Illinois State. Otherwise this conference would be at the strength of the CAA this year, if not possibly next year.

SEMO has won games and that takes a lot of effort and talent alone. No knocking them there, but the OVC has never been great. A possible first round win in the playoffs but I feel a beatdown in the 2nd round to whoever it may be.

Redhawk2010
November 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
SEMO has won games and that takes a lot of effort and talent alone. No knocking them there, but the OVC has never been great. A possible first round win in the playoffs but I feel a beatdown in the 2nd round to whoever it may be.

So the prediction I've seen this morning has SEMO traveling to the Panther Dome on December 4. Getting a 1st round bye and getting matched up with UNI. And you're going to outright call for a beatdown?

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
With the selection show Sunday morning, what's the deadline going to be next week?

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Don't let the MVFC fans get you too fired up. SEMO should be prould of their season and I think could do very well in the playoffs.

SEMO and UNI both should be ranked pretty close to #10 IMO.

Regarding UNI for the doubters....Our starting QB has only played 10 games for UNI....the first 5 spliting snaps. Since we quit spliting snaps....we have become a much better team. We also only have 3 senior starters...The team is maturing fast.

UNI Pike
November 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I am not taking a shot at SEMO or Jacksonville ST per se. I am looking at the longer term performance during playoffs. The playoffs have not been kind to the OVC or MEAC for that matter.

I am one of the folks that would contend that the MVFC is, on an overall basis, down this year. There are examples of perennially bad teams making sudden turnarounds in WIU and Indiana ST. SIU has been decimated by injuries during the middle of the season. UNI will likely enter the playoffs having a negative turnover margin for the season - in the three losses we are minus 11 TOs. MO ST & IL ST have have offenses that can put 50+ points on the board, but it seldom enough since they have no defense to speak of. NDSU is the virtual opposite. SDSU had a scheduling nightmare - plus a QB that likes to through wounded ducks to the opposing teams. Can't figure out what is going on at YSU blame it on the coaching transition.

Overall, MVFC is net down year. That said, UNI is going to be a tough draw this year. The offense has matured and the defense (especially against the run) is stout. NDSU will have a good chance against run oriented team.

I watched the EKY-JAX ST game. Have to say I did not see much defense on the field that evening. I also was able to watch some of the SEMO & JAX ST game, but I don't think I watched enough to generate a defensible view of that match up. I think Jax ST (and maybe SEMO, uncertain) want to be matched against shootout type teams. A team with a tough D is going to present a great number of problems not seen so far this year.

Walkon79
November 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM

My top 5:

1) UD
2) ASU
3) EWU
4) W&M
5) MSU

I agree, Just wanted to validate with some of the AGS voters out there who aren't Dough Heads.

Looks like I found one, "Fear the Bird", Thanks