PDA

View Full Version : Big South AQ?

Jackman
November 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
What happens if Liberty beats Stony Brook and Coastal Carolina beats Chuck South next week? Everyone would be 5-1 in the conference and 1-1 head-to-head. Next tiebreaker is...?

Redwyn
November 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Points allowed - a stat where Stony Brook has a 40+ pt lead. Thus, Liberty would not only have to beat us, my understanding is they'd have to win by a very big margin to take the tie breaker.

Coastal needs to win, for SBU to lose, and to win by 40+

Title's still very much in play - The Brook has to show focus and poise like they did the past 2 weeks. Big stat of today was our marginal penalty stat. That's a BIG change from prior games. Keep it up Seawolves, let's cause some havoc in Virginia

Jackman
November 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Wow, points allowed? That's going to create a wacky game, especially since the Coastal Carolina game starts 2.5 hours before the Liberty/SBU game. SBU might run the clock the entire game if CCU wins, whereas Liberty may go for 2 after every TD.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Points allowed - a stat where Stony Brook has a 40+ pt lead. Thus, Liberty would not only have to beat us, my understanding is they'd have to win by a very big margin to take the tie breaker.

Coastal needs to win, for SBU to lose, and to win by 40+

Title's still very much in play - The Brook has to show focus and poise like they did the past 2 weeks. Big stat of today was our marginal penalty stat. That's a BIG change from prior games. Keep it up Seawolves, let's cause some havoc in Virginia

I'm not sure why, but I'm heavily pulling for SB here. Guess it may be my affinity for the mud bowl Elon and SB played a couple years back.

Good luck SB!

Wildcat80
November 13th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Gotta go northeast...Stony Brook!!!

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Liberty!

Redwyn
November 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Gonna be an exciting game next week. While I know we have a lot of a cushion on that tie-breaker, I'd prefer to see the Seawolves outright that title. No backing in or backing down.

GO BROOK

Seawolf97
November 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm heavily pulling for SB here. Guess it may be my affinity for the mud bowl Elon and SB played a couple years back.

Good luck SB!

Remember that game. Still talked about today. Thanks for the support- we will win on the 20th.

Uncle Buck
November 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I posted this on the Liberty thread but yeah, it looks like the way the tiebreaker shakes out it will come down to fewest points allowed in conference.

A Coastal win and an SBU loss would mean that Coastal, SBU and Liberty would all be 1-1 against each other so you would have to look at option two. That means they would all be compared to how they did against VMI, all won, that trend continues through the remaining teams in the conference. Now you look at option iv points allowed in conference games, as of now, SBU - 68, Liberty 110, Coastal 106. So if i got this right, and i've been up all night with a sick kid so i am probably wrong, even with an SBU loss and a Coastal win, SBU would get the AQ if they don't lose to Liberty by more than 38 points?

SBU is in very good shape but to be honest, i think i would just prefer they win out and get the bid. At least my Hofstra orphans have something to play for. The Liberty game should be very interesting pending the outcome of the Coastal game. SBU is a run first team so that clock will be moving all day, and i agree, Liberty may be going for two all afternoon to get those points against up.

Jackman
November 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Now you look at option iv points allowed in conference games, as of now, SBU - 68, Liberty 110, Coastal 106. So if i got this right, and i've been up all night with a sick kid so i am probably wrong, even with an SBU loss and a Coastal win, SBU would get the AQ if they don't lose to Liberty by more than 38 points?

If it's "points allowed" rather than "point differential", what you need to do to is prevent Liberty from scoring 38+ points, not beat you by 38 points. If SBU loses to Liberty something like 42 to 35, that will prevent Liberty from winning on the points allowed tiebreaker because they'll add 35 to their own number, but Coastal Carolina would win the tiebreaker if they shut out Charleston Southern.

Stony Brook and Liberty will probably know the result of the Coastal Carolina game no later than halftime, and if Coastal Carolina wins that will definitely change Liberty's approach to the game and should probably change Stony Brook's, especially if they're trailing 24-3. Do you take to the air to try to score 3 TDs or slow down the game to prevent Liberty from scoring 2 TDs? If you take chances trying to catch up, you provide Liberty with more opportunities to score.

Regardless, I'll be cheering for Stony Brook to pull it out one way or another, but I'll especially be cheering for Coastal Carolina to win and make this the most unique game of the season.

emilimo701
November 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
holy ****

Stony Brook allowed 54 points, Coastal Carolina allowed 3. Coastal Carolina takes the auto bid.

How is there not a separate thread on this? This has got to be one of the worst ways any team, in any sport, anywhere, in recent history has missed the playoffs. If Coastal Carolina gives up even a modest 17 points.... or if Stony Brook "only" allowed 40...... wow....