PDA

View Full Version : Liberty

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Somebody please explain today's result to me - I have not understood all year why people kept giving them so much respect in the polls and now this? Yikes

Go Stony Brook

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
It really sucks for all the at-larges if Liberty can't win the AQ from the Big South. I hope NDSU's 7-3 looks better than Liberty's 7-3 at the moment.

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
NDSU should be fine. Liberty's fate is tied to James Madison. Beyond that, I have no freaking clue on who deserves an At-Large.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
It really sucks for all the at-larges if Liberty can't win the AQ from the Big South. I hope NDSU's 7-3 looks better than Liberty's 7-3 at the moment.

Both North Dakota State and Liberty need to win next week to have ANY shot at the playoffs. NDSU doesn't get an at-large without a win and Liberty only gets in with the auto bid. This is a weaker Flame team than the ones who have been overlooked the past two years.

TheBisonator
November 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Both North Dakota State and Liberty need to win next week to have ANY shot at the playoffs. NDSU doesn't get an at-large without a win and Liberty only gets in with the auto bid. This is a weaker Flame team than the ones who have been overlooked the past two years.

ANY shot?? NDSU is a freakin' LOCK with a win next week. We're 7-3, not 6-4. All DI wins.

I talked with NDSU's AD this week, and he told me that a home playoff game is all but guaranteed with a win today (got it) and next week.

Seawolf97
November 13th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Somebody please explain today's result to me - I have not understood all year why people kept giving them so much respect in the polls and now this? Yikes

Go Stony Brook

Thanks! We scored 55 today against GWU - we scored on offense, defense and special teams. I had to feel for them, nothing went right. We go into Liberty with 2 1000yd running backs, leading the Big South in takeaways 24 and a quarterback with a very hot hand passing in the last 3 weeks. Should be interesting .

Cincy App
November 14th, 2010, 06:59 AM
What is the Big South tiebreaker if Liberty beats Stony Brook and Coastal beats Charleston Southern next week? Three teams would be tied in conference play. Who gets the auto bid?

Never mind, I see the "Big South Auto Bid" thread below...

Uncle Buck
November 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
God, yesterdays game was just ugly for G Webb, anything and everything that could go wrong for them did. Like Sw97 said, SBU scored on in all facets of the game. This is from the Big South website:

The Big South Conference football champion shall be the recipient of the Conference's automatic bid to participate in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision Playoffs.

A. Tiebreaker: If co-champions are declared, the following tiebreaker formula shall be utilized to determine the recipient of the automatic qualifier:

1. Two-Way Tie
i. Head-to-head competition.
ii. If a tie still exists, then the records of the tying teams against the next highest team shall be compared.
iii. The process outlined in step "ii" shall continue through the last team, if necessary.
iv. Points allowed in Conference games.
v. Sagarin ranking.
vi. If a tie still remains, the automatic qualifier shall be drawn by lot.

2. Multiple Ties
i. Composite records between the tying teams shall be evaluated to determine if one team has won more games against the other tying teams.
ii. In the event step "i" does not resolve the multiple ties or reduce the multiple tie to one tie, then a comparison of records of the tying teams against the next highest team shall be compared.
iii. The process outlined in step "ii" shall continue through the last team, if necessary.
iv. Points allowed in Conference games.
v. Sagarin ranking.
vi. If ties still remain, the automatic qualifier shall be drawn by lot. If the multiple ties are reduced to a tie between two teams, the two-way tiebreaker formula shall be utlized.

A Coastal win and an SBU loss would mean that Coastal, SBU and Liberty would all be 1-1 against each other so you would have to look at option two. That means they would all be compared to how they did against VMI, all won, that trend continues through the remaining teams in the conference. Now you look at option iv points allowed in conference games, as of now, SBU - 68, Liberty 110, Coastal 106. So if i got this right, and i've been up all night with a sick kid so i am probably wrong, even with an SBU loss and a Coastal win, SBU would get the AQ if they don't lose to Liberty by more than 38 points?

OOPS, started my research too quick, i just read above that there is another thread for this. Sorry.

smallcollegefbfan
November 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Go Stony Brook

I believe Dane Fan or someone from Albany was arguing with me saying Liberty was a top 15 team and I was never sold on them this year, as said several times. They have Mike Brown, Asa Chapman, and Chris Summers but outside of that did not see much talent on that team. I was high on them back when Brock Smith and Rashad Jennings led that team but did not see it with this one. I have already voted in AGS and TSN and have Liberty 25. I don't think they should get in the playoffs. They have no wins against a ranked team and there is a good chance they won't get the auto bid from the Big South. I'm actually disappointed because I expected Liberty to be better but they never did impress me.

heath
November 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I was a Liberty believer and thought they were a top 20 team, but not anymore...Stony brook game for all the marbels?

Uncle Buck
November 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Big South football definitely needs to get better and land more marquee wins. Liberty has been the #1 conference team but seems to fizzle out when it matters. They need a big win and some luck this weekend if they want the AQ or at the very least an at large.

smallcollegefbfan
November 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Big South football definitely needs to get better and land more marquee wins. Liberty has been the #1 conference team but seems to fizzle out when it matters. They need a big win and some luck this weekend if they want the AQ or at the very least an at large.

If they win big this weekend they will probably get the at-large, assuming SBU wins, but I don't think they truly deserve it. I would take a 7-4 CAA team over them right now.

Uncle Buck
November 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If they win big this weekend they will probably get the at-large, assuming SBU wins, but I don't think they truly deserve it. I would take a 7-4 CAA team over them right now.

I would take any CAA team over a 7-4 Big South team. Being a Hofstra orphan who followed the Yankee/A-10/CAA for years, they are by far and away a deeper and more athletic conference. SBU has to win the AQ to get in, as does anyone else in the conference IMO. I don't think it is a two bid league.

downbythebeach
November 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Id say that Liberty is prob the best in the Big South regardless of who get the auto bid, but thats just my 2 cents

Uncle Buck
November 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Id say that Liberty is prob the best in the Big South regardless of who get the auto bid, but thats just my 2 cents

Being the best on paper and the best on the field are two different animals. You can have a stacked team, but if you lose the big games you get labeled as overrated.

WileECoyote06
November 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Wile E said:

I didn't pick Bethune-Cookman, because they have something no other FCS team possesses right now: an undefeated record. Although their path to that record is under scrutiny, they've done what no other team in FCS has been able to do; and thus deserve accolade for that accomplishment.

The hardest team for me to rank week in and week out has been Liberty.

People had Liberty in the top 15, but Robert Morris down in the 20s. . .It was really weird.

heath
November 14th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I would take any CAA team over a 7-4 Big South team. Being a Hofstra orphan who followed the Yankee/A-10/CAA for years, they are by far and away a deeper and more athletic conference. SBU has to win the AQ to get in, as does anyone else in the conference IMO. I don't think it is a two bid league.

Agree 100%

danefan
November 14th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I believe Dane Fan or someone from Albany was arguing with me saying Liberty was a top 15 team and I was never sold on them this year, as said several times. They have Mike Brown, Asa Chapman, and Chris Summers but outside of that did not see much talent on that team. I was high on them back when Brock Smith and Rashad Jennings led that team but did not see it with this one. I have already voted in AGS and TSN and have Liberty 25. I don't think they should get in the playoffs. They have no wins against a ranked team and there is a good chance they won't get the auto bid from the Big South. I'm actually disappointed because I expected Liberty to be better but they never did impress me.

I never argued that Liberty was a top 15 team. All I said was that if you have Liberty as a top 15 team then you have to be consistent and have Robert Morris high. I would have never ranked Liberty, RMU, BCU, Jacksonville or Penn above 18-20. There are stronger teams from the major conferences. But my point has always been if you're going to rank Liberty high you cannot just leave Robert Morris off or low.

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Going along with Dane's point after RMU's win, here are my results from AGS poll since neither team did anything really crazy after their matchup and both lost this weekend:

Week 3 - Liberty 16 (Had them WAY too high) / RMU NR

Week 4 - Liberty & RMU NR

Week 5 - RMU 21 / Liberty 25

Week 6 - RMU 18 / Liberty 22

Week 7 - RMU 15 / Liberty 19

Week 8 - RMU 13 / Liberty 20

Week 9 - RMU 13 / Liberty 15

Week 10 - RMU 12 / Liberty 14

Week 11 - RMU 23 / Liberty NR (Pending)

heath
November 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Going along with Dane's point after RMU's win, here are my results from AGS poll since neither team did anything really crazy after their matchup and both lost this weekend:

Week 3 - Liberty 16 (Had them WAY too high) / RMU NR

Week 4 - Liberty & RMU NR

Week 5 - RMU 21 / Liberty 25

Week 6 - RMU 18 / Liberty 22

Week 7 - RMU 15 / Liberty 19

Week 8 - RMU 13 / Liberty 20

Week 9 - RMU 13 / Liberty 15

Week 10 - RMU 12 / Liberty 14

Week 11 - RMU 23 / Liberty NR (Pending)

Wow, you had RMU at 12. Now thats way too high, but week 11 at 23rd is more like it.