PDA

View Full Version : TSN Revises Payton, Buchanan Lists.. Barr, Harris, McGhee Added; Pall, Evans Added

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
They must have planned on two more revisions instead of just one as they have updated both lists today.

Barr, McGhee, Harris join Payton Award Watch List

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The season-long excellence of quarterbacks Matt Barr of Western Illinois and Denarius McGhee of Montana State, and running back Henry Harris of Southeast Missouri State, has led to their inclusion in the race for the 2010 Walter Payton Award, sponsored by Fathead.com.

A stellar 20-player Watch List will be pared to one winner of the Football Championship Subdivision's top individual honor. The Payton Award is in its 24th season and will be presented to the FCS' outstanding player at the national awards banquet on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas - the night before the national championship game.

Barr, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound redshirt senior, has helped fuel Western Illinois' turnaround this season. The Leathernecks have a 6-3 record after finishing 1-10 last season, when Barr played in only four games because of an injury. He is second in the FCS in passing efficiency (167.44), having completed over 62 percent of his passes for 2,438 yards and 23 touchdowns with only three interceptions. He also has rushed for 398 yards and five touchdowns to rank third in the FCS with 315.1 yards of total offense per game. The highlight was a record-shattering game against Illinois State, when he threw for six touchdowns and 452 yards, while also rushing for a 38-yard touchdown.

McGhee, a 5-9, 203-pound redshirt freshman, is playing beyond his years. He has been the top signal-caller in the quarterback-rich Big Sky Conference, ranking sixth in the FCS in total offense (296.7 yards per game) during the Bobcats' 8-2 start to the season. He has completed over 63 percent of his passes for 2,802 yards and 20 touchdowns against five interceptions, while rushing for a pair of touchdowns. In October, he threw for 385 yards and four touchdowns in a memorable 64-61 win over Sacramento State, and had back-to- back 400-yard passing performances to close out the month.

Harris, a 5-8, 185-pound redshirt senior, has led one the biggest turnarounds in NCAA Division I history. Southeast Missouri State finished 2-9 in 2009 and has started the 2010 season with a 9-1 mark. Harris leads the FCS with 219.2 all-purpose yards per game, including a school-record 1,493 yards on the ground. He also has scored 17 touchdowns. His biggest performances were 293 rushing yards and three touchdowns against Southwest Baptist, and 308 yards of total offense and three touchdowns against Austin Peay.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4355070

Evans, Pall join Buck Buchanan Award Watch List

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The consistent excellence of New Hampshire linebackers Matt Evans and Wofford defensive end Ameet Pall have led to their inclusion in the race for the 2010 Buck Buchanan Award, sponsored by Fathead.com.

The stellar 20-player Watch List will be pared to the Football Championship Subdivision's top individual honor for defensive players. The Buchanan Award is in its 16th season and will be presented to the FCS' outstanding defensive player at the national awards banquet on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas - the night before the national championship game.

Evans, a 6-foot, 219-pound redshirt sophomore, has posted double figures in tackles in eight of New Hampshire's nine games, including a career-high 20 against William & Mary. He is tied for third in the FCS with 12.56 tackles per game. He also leads the Wildcats with 56 solo tackles and 11 tackles for a loss, while registering three sacks, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and an interception.

Pall, a 6-foot, 245-pound junior, has been a dominant force at defensive end, collecting 19.5 tackles for a loss through Wofford's nine games to rank second in the FCS. He has 12.5 sacks among his team-leading 43 tackles, with a season-high three sacks against Furman. He also has six quarterback hurries. Behind Pall, the Terriers have gone from a 3-8 record in 2009 to 8-1 in 2010.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4355074

UNH Fanboi
November 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Matt Evans is the real deal. He's got an incredible combination of awareness, hustle and tackling ability.

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Matt Evans is the real deal. He's got an incredible combination of awareness, hustle and tackling ability.

He truly is. I have seen him the last few weeks and after comparing him with Newbill I decided to drop Newbill from my list and add Evans. It is good to see TSN add a few guys I have had on the list a while in Pall, Barr, Harris, and McGhee. Evans has really come on strong. It will be interesting to see who the CAA coaches pick for DEF POY in Evans or Holmes.

I know he won't get the votes but I urge everyone to watch Kenrick Ellis at Hampton. He completely clogs and dominants the middle of the line by himself. He is an amazing player who I would have first on my ballot if he had more sacks. He would need about 12-15 sacks to have any real shot but is still worthy of a top five finish.

I'm really glad to see Barr and Pall get on here. I think both will be top five vote getters so it is good to see them on.

One thing I have to mention is if you all notice how these lists and polls tend to play themselves out. People are quick to jump on this stuff but as you can see things are starting to play out as we get into November, which is how things usually are. These lists are looking very good right now. I know I have a couple names different from Haley but that is nothing new. It was always the same thing with Dougherty and Coulson as well. We all have a couple names we differ on.

leatherneck177
November 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
It's about time that Matt Barr was added.

superman7515
November 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Nothing personal, but how is Szczur still on there with all the time he has missed?

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Nothing personal, but how is Szczur still on there with all the time he has missed?

He was taken off. They mention him in the release as one of those taken off the list. He is not listed among the 20 on the main link here: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/fcsawards/index.aspx

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Where is Howard's Keith Pough????

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Where is Howard's Keith Pough????

He and the Bethune-Cookman QB are the two players still not on there that I would really like to see make it. Pough was one of Howard's best players last year and has become a definite All-American this year. If he does not make this year's list he most definitely should be on there in the preseason for 2011. His consistency this year is simply amazing.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
How much longer until TSPN issues another article degrading Craig Haley and The Sports Network?

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
How much longer until TSPN issues another article degrading Craig Haley and The Sports Network?

I don't know but I hope they give him a break on this. He is new and has not seen all of these guys yet. He has all of the right guys from HBCU schools except Pough and Johnson IMO. And I understand why he doesn't.

One big reason I have been putting Johnson on my list is because it looks good to have a BCC player with their current success and he is a playmaker as a runner. He needs a lot of work in the passing game but he sure has wheels.

WoCoTerrier
November 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Any reason Chris Evans is still on the list and Eric Breitenstein is not? Really happy to see Pall get some recognition though.

Actually, let me ask this. Is it because Evans is a senior and has had an outstanding total career, while EB is technically a sophomore? In your opinion, should that factor in? Should it be a "career" type award or just be based strictly on that year, and should upperclassmen be a little more favored?

profisme
November 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The fact that Chase Reynolds is still on there has me puzzled. He has had an amazing career, but this year his numbers are way down. Breitenstein has had a great year, but doesn't have the career numbers to back it up. I hope before the final list comes out that they will replace Reynolds with Breitenstein.

Denarius McGhee definitely deserves to be on there and I am glad to see he was added this week. The kid is absolutely phenomenal and just a freshman to boot. I looked briefly, but does anyone know if a freshman has ever been a finalist before? If so, did they ever end up in the top 5 in voting?

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Any reason Chris Evans is still on the list and Eric Breitenstein is not? Really happy to see Pall get some recognition though.

Actually, let me ask this. Is it because Evans is a senior and has had an outstanding total career, while EB is technically a sophomore? In your opinion, should that factor in? Should it be a "career" type award or just be based strictly on that year, and should upperclassmen be a little more favored?

I am kind of up in the air on your question. There is a grey line here. For example I think EB should be on the list over Evans because I have never been as impressed with Evans as many people in the SoCon. I don't think he is as explosive as players like Taiwan Jones, Henry Harris, Frank Warren, Jonathan Grimes, etc. In this case because I think teams have figured out Evans and he has not really improved that EB should go on. An example on the other end is for the SoCon DEF POY. I think Ameet Pall has had the best year but Mark LeGree truly deserves to leave with one of them and he should have gotten it last year. I would give it to LeGree and make it well known that Pall is the front runner for next year.

smallcollegefbfan
November 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
The fact that Chase Reynolds is still on there has me puzzled. He has had an amazing career, but this year his numbers are way down. Breitenstein has had a great year, but doesn't have the career numbers to back it up. I hope before the final list comes out that they will replace Reynolds with Breitenstein.

Denarius McGhee definitely deserves to be on there and I am glad to see he was added this week. The kid is absolutely phenomenal and just a freshman to boot. I looked briefly, but does anyone know if a freshman has ever been a finalist before? If so, did they ever end up in the top 5 in voting?

Reynolds is a very good player but yes his play this year has not been nearly as good, mostly due to injury. To be honest I would replace Valentino with McGregor, Reynolds with EB, Jeremy Caldwell with Keith Pough, and Mario Kurn or Dain Taylor for Bryce Smith or Jeremy Caldwell. Caldwell is a pretty good player but just has not made the impact he did last year.

UNHFootballAlum
November 12th, 2010, 06:54 PM
He truly is. I have seen him the last few weeks and after comparing him with Newbill I decided to drop Newbill from my list and add Evans. It is good to see TSN add a few guys I have had on the list a while in Pall, Barr, Harris, and McGhee. Evans has really come on strong. It will be interesting to see who the CAA coaches pick for DEF POY in Evans or Holmes.

I know he won't get the votes but I urge everyone to watch Kenrick Ellis at Hampton. He completely clogs and dominants the middle of the line by himself. He is an amazing player who I would have first on my ballot if he had more sacks. He would need about 12-15 sacks to have any real shot but is still worthy of a top five finish.

I'm really glad to see Barr and Pall get on here. I think both will be top five vote getters so it is good to see them on.

One thing I have to mention is if you all notice how these lists and polls tend to play themselves out. People are quick to jump on this stuff but as you can see things are starting to play out as we get into November, which is how things usually are. These lists are looking very good right now. I know I have a couple names different from Haley but that is nothing new. It was always the same thing with Dougherty and Coulson as well. We all have a couple names we differ on.

I would love to see Evans win DEF POY in the CAA, but I think the 2 INT pic 6's sealed the deal for Holmes. he is one of the leaders in INT's in the league and high enough in the other stats to offset what Evans has done

umassfan
November 12th, 2010, 11:15 PM
The CAA D player of the year award is Holmes to lose. He is at the top or near the top in every stat. He also should be the leader for the Buchanan award.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Holmes added to his case this week with 16 tackles, 11 solo, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 1 fumble recovery vs Delaware.

smallcollegefbfan
November 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
The CAA D player of the year award is Holmes to lose. He is at the top or near the top in every stat. He also should be the leader for the Buchanan award.

No doubt and I think he will. His game today probably has solidified it. I really thought Ameet Pall or someone could challenge but he didn't do anything in their game. I believe Holmes is going to end up being my vote when we turn ballots in here in about 10 days.