PDA

View Full Version : TXST and/or UTSA replacements in Southland

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Now that Texas State and UTSA are leaving for the WAC, who looks like their replacements at the D-II level?

houtexan
November 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see Houston Baptist and possibly Delta State.

RabidRabbit
November 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Why does UTPA continually get ignored? If looking at a no-football option, they should be jumping up and down, begging for Southland attention.

centexguy
November 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
The Southland really doesn't need to add any schools yet. They'll still have 8 football playing schools like they do now. I don't think the Southland wants UTPA back in the league. That's a lot of travelling for a school that doesn't have football and doesn't add much of anything else.

GeauxLions94
November 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Why does UTPA continually get ignored? If looking at a no-football option, they should be jumping up and down, begging for Southland attention.

They are jumping up and down begging for Southland attention ... we just don't notice them from this far away.

Lamar coming in next year will help with the loss of Texas State and the Southland will be a 10-team league (eight for football) ... if the league is looking to add a football member, it's probably going to wait to see what UT Arlington (has the facility and could restart football in 5-10 years) and A&M-Corpus Christi. Don't know if any DII program in the Lone Star or Gulf South will want to make the jump. North Alabama seems the most logical choice, but they would be crazy not to go to the OVC or possibly SoCon.

If the Southland is looking to expand to 12 with non-football schools, look for Houston Baptist, Oral Roberts, Arkansas-Little Rock (highly unlikely) and possibly UTPA as choices.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
There's already a thread with some discussion for those seeking to dig deeper into what the Southland fans on this board are thinking about... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?75364-Foregone-Conclusion-SLC-Expansion-Discussion

Now that Texas State and UTSA are leaving for the WAC, who looks like their replacements at the D-II level?

Do we have to replace anyone? Unless the Louisiana schools have issues with finances, there's no reason to replace. We got eight teams, which is fine and both SHSU and Lamar are at least 3-5 years away from realizing FBS aspirations (if they exist) due to both needing to get their 'houses in order'.

I'd like to see Houston Baptist and possibly Delta State.

Houston Baptist? Not a chance. Their facilities would need to be brought up to snuff. Quite a few of the Div II schools - if not a clear majority - have better facilities than HBU. Delta State would be nice, but not sure their budget can get in range. They may have to make a move up due to the issues with Gulf South Conference membership.

Yep - they are jumping up and down and as GL94 says - we're ignoring them! They've applied at least twice, just like Centenary...

The Southland really doesn't need to add any schools yet. They'll still have 8 football playing schools like they do now. I don't think the Southland wants UTPA back in the league. That's a lot of travelling for a school that doesn't have football and doesn't add much of anything else.

UTPA was never in the league for anything other than an affiliate membership in men's tennis and perhaps another sport. They have no softball or soccer. They have to get their house in order too!

Seat16Demon
November 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Delta State (budget issues), Arkansas Tech (decent facilities but I am not sure they want to come up), and Texas A&M-Commerce would be my first choices.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Delta State (budget issues), Arkansas Tech (decent facilities but I am not sure they want to come up), and Texas A&M-Commerce would be my first choices.

Has any of the D2 schools said they want to move up outside of Tarleton State? Has A&M-Commerce expressed an interest before?

Lots of rumors on the online realignment boards about Oral Roberts. I think most SLC fans would jump at that opportunity for a non-football perspective. Them and UALR are the only non-football institutions that make sense at the Div I level.

08LionBacker
November 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Im a graduate of TAMU Commerce and keep up with them. Ive never heard anyone say anything about moving up from D2 to FCS. The budget last year was around 4.6 million but didnt include money from a previously passed $10 sh athletic fee referendum that took effect this year. This years budget should be around 6 million+. The school has seen record increases in enrollment. Currently the enrollment is 10,800 students. Many upgrades to the football field with the addition of 3,000 seats to up the capacity to 13,000 and a new 31' x 54' scoreboard/videoboard(currently 2nd largest in D2) along with new locker rooms. The biggest issue (besides the administrion ofcourse) would be attendance. Not good. Commerce fits in geographically being 45 minutes east of Dallas though.

DG Cowboy
November 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM
The SLC didn't lose two football schools. TX ST is the only football school we lost. UTSA hasn't thrown an interception or fumbled yet. I hate losing TX ST, and feel that they may have misgivings in 5 years, but I could care less about UTSA going anywhere.

Why isn't Angelo State mentioned in this discussion?

Catatonic
November 13th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Has any of the D2 schools said they want to move up outside of Tarleton State? Has A&M-Commerce expressed an interest before?

Lots of rumors on the online realignment boards about Oral Roberts. I think most SLC fans would jump at that opportunity for a non-football perspective. Them and UALR are the only non-football institutions that make sense at the Div I level.

The Abilene Christian football coach is a strong proponent of moving from D2 to FCS. No feasibility study has been commissioned, as far as I know. However, the topic has been discussed by fans and alums. As you might expect, supporters are mixed.

Proponents argue that a move to FCS is reasonable...our average attendance (9,100 per game in football) is in line with several current Southland Conference schools, our athletic budget (7.5 million) places us above several current conference members, and the success of our athletic program at the D2 level (especially in football and track) provides a solid foundation for moving up to the FCS.

Opponents note that even with our current budget, an additional 2 million or so would be necessary to adequately resource our program at the FCS level, that there is better fit with the geographic footprint of the LSC (lot of schools in west Texas), and that the economic problems of the Louisiana schools would mean we would be moving into an unstable conference environment.

Talk aside, until the Abilene Christian administration commissions a feasibility study to look at a potential move to FCS, assume Abilene is content to remain in the Lone Star Conference.

Among the other D2 schools listed, North Alabama has expressed a strong interest in a move to FCS and would be a good pick up.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Proponents argue that a move to FCS is reasonable...our average attendance (9,100 per game in football) is in line with several current Southland Conference schools, our athletic budget (7.5 million) places us above several current conference members, and the success of our athletic program at the D2 level (especially in football and track) provides a solid foundation for moving up to the FCS.

How much is your tuition and how does that impact your athletic budget? How much do fees count for as it relates to your budget?

Opponents note that even with our current budget, an additional 2 million or so would be necessary to adequately resource our program at the FCS level, that there is better fit with the geographic footprint of the LSC (lot of schools in west Texas), and that the economic problems of the Louisiana schools would mean we would be moving into an unstable conference environment.

Don't mention the economic problems of the Louisiana schools... it's a subject that many on this board like to ignore as it relates to athletics. I have to bite my tongue!

Among the other D2 schools listed, North Alabama has expressed a strong interest in a move to FCS and would be a good pick up.

They are a shoo-in for the Ohio Valley Conference...

Catatonic
November 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;1581730]How much is your tuition and how does that impact your athletic budget? How much do fees count for as it relates to your budget?

Tuition is 717 per credit hour. A separate activity fee of 11 per hour includes funding for a portion of the athletic budget. The athletic department has an endowment of 10 million...revenue from the endowment is applied to the athletic budget.

Don't mention the economic problems of the Louisiana schools... it's a subject that many on this board like to ignore as it relates to athletics. I have to bite my tongue!

note to self: See the elephant in the room? Ignore it.xsmiley_wix

They are a shoo-in for the Ohio Valley Conference...

I think you are right.

[/QUOTE