PDA

View Full Version : Could you see GA state and Kennesaw State joining the SOCON?

gsu1moretime
November 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Georgia State and Kennesaw to expand the SOCON and bring in 2 more public college and add to some interesting rivals.

Opinions?

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
We have already had this discussion on a couple of occasions on Mocfans...and most would say an enthusiastic yes (particularly KSU is adding football).

It adds more publics and creates a real western edge to the conference...Moc fans would love to have two more schools that are less than 2 hours away.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Nope. I can see the Atlantic Sun starting football before that. . .already got four teams. . . Jacksonville, Kennesaw, Campbell, and North Florida.

superman7515
November 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm sure UMass, Maine, Rhode Island, and probably a few others would be willing to swap Georgia State for a northern school given the chance.

heath
November 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Georgia State to the SoCon makes more sense than traveling up north in the CAA.Did they ever approach the SoCon when they started their program?

superman7515
November 11th, 2010, 02:49 PM
They were already CAA members and guaranteed entrance for their football program. They've now signed a 6 year commit to the CAA, so it's hard to see it happening.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Georgia State to the SoCon makes more sense than traveling up north in the CAA.Did they ever approach the SoCon when they started their program?
I doubt they'd be willing to give up their CAA membership in other sports; for the SoCon. IMHO

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I doubt they'd be willing to give up their CAA membership in other sports; for the SoCon. IMHO

The SoCon is getting stronger in Basketball.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Georgia State football... ugh... it just SOUNDS dirty. Hopefully the SoCon won't jump the gun on this one. Let's let these two programs (one doesn't even have a program yet) mature a little before we start assigning a conference. Georgia Southern didn't need conference affiliation to win. Win first... then we'll talk. Ga. State has just made their first baby steps in football... much less Div. I football. Let's make sure the SoCon isn't adding a Savannah State, shall we?

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM

They talked to the SoCon before they joined the CAA...but football wasn't seriously on the board at the time and the SoCon was only interested in football schools (former SoCon commish Danny Morrison had also had a few cursory discussions with KSU, but with the same stipulation of having a football program)

Whether it would happen or not...the combo would be a perfect logistical addition to the SoCon. GSU/KSU fans could drive to basically half the SoCon in 2-3 hours (SU, UC, FU, Wofford, GSU)...and it would be great to get a place like Gwinnett to host the SoCon basketball tournament (which would be cool since the first ever SoCon tournament was in Atlanta...the SoCon tournament being the oldest in the NCAA)

And, of course, a GSUx2 conference rivalry would be great.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Except for men's basketball...what other sports would you want to have to fly all your non-revenue teams to play all up and down the East Coast?

Plus, except for men's basketball...I can't think of any CAA sports that are head and shoulders better than the SoCon.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Except for men's basketball...what other sports would you want to have to fly all your non-revenue teams to play all up and down the East Coast?

Plus, except for men's basketball...I can't think of any CAA sports that are head and shoulders better than the SoCon.

football and basketball are the money makers. . *shrug*

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Georgia State football... ugh... it just SOUNDS dirty. Hopefully the SoCon won't jump the gun on this one. Let's let these two programs (one doesn't even have a program yet) mature a little before we start assigning a conference. Georgia Southern didn't need conference affiliation to win. Win first... then we'll talk. Ga. State has just made their first baby steps in football... much less Div. I football. Let's make sure the SoCon isn't adding a Savannah State, shall we?

The landscape is a little different than it was 30 years ago.

Chattanooga went straight from DII to the SoCon and within five years had won 4 SoCon football titles, had beaten NC State in the NCAA basketball tournament, had a top 20 women's basketball team, a top 10 wrestling program and had won a national championship in women's Tennis (wow, I had never written that out before...that's pretty impressive...what happened? :))

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
The landscape is a little different than it was 30 years ago.

Chattanooga went straight from DII to the SoCon and within five years had won 4 SoCon football titles, had beaten NC State in the NCAA basketball tournament, had a top 20 women's basketball team, a top 10 wrestling program and had won a national championship in women's Tennis (wow, I had never written that out before...that's pretty impressive...what happened? :))

Did you play football in D-II? Yeah. Southern started from scratch in D-I and had to earn her way to conference affiliation. What's good for the goose...

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
football and basketball are the money makers. . *shrug*

Which is why I didn't understand your comment... "I doubt they'd be willing to give up their CAA membership in other sports; for the SoCon. IMHO"

The only reason to stay in the CAA would be basketball and football...because the rest of the sports are going to spend a fortune on travel.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Which is why I didn't understand your comment... "I doubt they'd be willing to give up their CAA membership in other sports; for the SoCon. IMHO"

The only reason to stay in the CAA would be basketball and football...because the rest of the sports are going to spend a fortune on travel.

That's the point, the CAA has a better chance from year-to-year to send multiple bids to the dance. So if the money gained from that outweighs the travel benefit of being in a more regional conference, then I understand their choice.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Did you play football in D-II? Yeah. Southern started from scratch in D-I and had to earn her way to conference affiliation. What's good for the goose...

Technically, Chattanooga played DII for 4-6 years...but, they were still playing 2-3 SEC teams a year (and only 1 or 2 DII teams). So really, they were DII in name only because the rest of the school's teams had been classified that way.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
That's the point, the CAA has a better chance from year-to-year to send multiple bids to the dance. So if the money gained from that outweighs the travel benefit of being in a more regional conference, then I understand their choice.

This is making less sense the more you comment...Apologies, I guess I missed what you meant in your original post.

But, I also think you are grossly overestimating what little money each individual school would see from extra at-large bids/wins in the NCAA's.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Technically, Chattanooga played DII for 4-6 years...but, they were still playing 2-3 SEC teams a year (and only 1 or 2 DII teams). So really, they were DII in name only because the rest of the school's teams had been classified that way.

Hey... I never did give a straight answer to the title of the post (Sorry bout that). SO... Yes, I could see them in the SoCon... But, only after the SHhtuff I just said. In all honesty, I'd love the opportunity to remind Georgia State (annually) that: WE are the real GSU in Georgia by smearing their facemasks in the turf.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This is making less sense the more you comment...Apologies, I guess I missed what you meant in your original post.

But, I also think you are grossly overestimating what little money each individual school would see from extra at-large bids/wins in the NCAA's.

Maybe so, but other than that I can't think of a reason they would want to remain in the CAA. Each share is about 210K right? Well if the CAA has a legitimate chance to get two teams in every year and also have one or maybe more advance, that may be what keeps them in that conference.

I'm not sure why it doesn't make sense. And I'm not slighting the SoCon at all. As I said earlier, they might as well push for the Atlantic Sun to start football. There are four schools already there, and it won't be long before Valdosta State and West Georgia come knocking on the door; especially if the Gulf South collapses.

glsjunior
November 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
There would be no way that we would have considered the SOCON. The CAA is a better conference in the revenue sports and just as competitive in the Olympic sports. Travel isn't a big issue because we have the budget for it. We left the Atlantic Sun in order to get a bigger sports profile. If anything we would have re-joined the Sunbelt which we helped found.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
There would be no way that we would have considered the SOCON. The CAA is a better conference in the revenue sports and just as competitive in the Olympic sports. Travel isn't a big issue because we have the budget for it. We left the Atlantic Sun in order to get a bigger sports profile. If anything we would have re-joined the Sunbelt which we helped found.

I'm sure, by "revenue sports" you're talking about basketball. State joined the CAA to bring more attention to it's only sports "face" at the time: men's basketball. I was living in ATL when that whole deal was going down. If you truly want that "face time" for your football program in the area you're recruiting in you'd be better off in a southeastern regional conference.

glsjunior
November 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm sure, by "revenue sports" you're talking about basketball. State joined the CAA to bring more attention to it's only sports "face" at the time: men's basketball. I was living in ATL when that whole deal was going down. If you truly want that "face time" for your football program in the area you're recruiting in you'd be better off in a southeastern regional conference.

We don't get invited to the CAA unless we hinted at the possibility of getting a football team. I think that GSU will increase the CAA's visibilty down south and some of the SOCON (and sunbelt) teams will lose recruits to GSU and the CAA, particularly the Virginia teams. The "CAA is the SEC of the FCS" is starting to gain some traction in the media and eventually I think that will result in the CAA getting a lot more tv exposure, especially when you consider that all of the southern sports media comes through Atlanta anyway (Comcast Sports South, Sports South, Fox Sports South, CNNSI etc)

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
We don't get invited to the CAA unless we hinted at the possibility of getting a football team. I think that GSU will increase the CAA's visibilty down south and some of the SOCON (and sunbelt) teams will lose recruits to GSU and the CAA, particularly the Virginia teams. The "CAA is the SEC of the FCS" is starting to gain some traction in the media and eventually I think that will result in the CAA getting a lot more tv exposure, especially when you consider that all of the southern sports media comes through Atlanta anyway (Comcast Sports South, Sports South, Fox Sports South, CNNSI etc)

Well, obviously there will be more visibility: now, there is none (for football). In the 90's and early-2000's the SoCon was the "SEC of I-AA," so don't get used to the title. One or two down seasons and the handle will be past on to the next media dandy: Probably the SoCon... again, when GSU and Furman get back to their past standards. Yeah, that whole "Atlanta's our hometown" thing has been working so well for Georgia Tech in the media (grew-up a Tech fan) and allowed the ACC to steal from the SEC and UGA.

VBR_Productions
November 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Georgia State is going FBS. Their administration is saying one thing about joining the CAA but look at what they're doing and their profile as a state university. I doubt they want to upset the CAA by announcing their FBS plans. It makes too much sense for them to not go FBS. xwhistlex

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
One can debate that HBCU's and the Ivies have a bigger visibility profile than the SoCon and the CAA although the CAA and SoCon are better athletically than the Ivy, MEAC & SWAC.

It's one of the reasons why many people have speculated that FCS "powerhouses" in the CAA and SoCon will consider jumping to the FBS; to increase their profile in the media and increase their revenues from football & basketball.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Georgia State is going FBS. Their administration is saying one thing about joining the CAA but look at what they're doing and their profile as a state university. I doubt they want to upset the CAA by announcing their FBS plans. It makes too much sense for them to not go FBS. xwhistlex

Hell... if that's the case: Then, God bless and good luck up there with FIU and FAU.... I'm sure they'll do swell.

glsjunior
November 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well, obviously there will be more visibility: now, there is none (for football). In the 90's and early-2000's the SoCon was the "SEC of I-AA," so don't get used to the title. One or two down seasons and the handle will be past on to the next media dandy: Probably the SoCon... again, when GSU and Furman get back to their past standards. Yeah, that whole "Atlanta's our hometown" thing has been working so well for Georgia Tech in the media (grew-up a Tech fan) and allowed the ACC to steal from the SEC and UGA.

Tech hasn't been Atlanta's team for a long time because their student body doesn't reflect the population. They are like UCLA. They can only put 50k in the stands because of history. Now as far as the CAA vs. Socon goes, the CAA will continue to rule because our programs have better coaches and better funding because of larger student populations and alumni bases. Our middle of the conference teams beat ranked BCS schools. Just get used to the CAA winning FCS titles until the NCAA gets tired and just swap us out with MAC for FBS.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just get used to the CAA winning FCS titles until the NCAA gets tired and just swap us out with MAC for FBS.

Okay, killer. Might wanna go back and check those FCS/I-AA title winner stats there, bud.

Dane96
November 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Tech hasn't been Atlanta's team for a long time because their student body doesn't reflect the population. They are like UCLA. They can only put 50k in the stands because of history. Now as far as the CAA vs. Socon goes, the CAA will continue to rule because our programs have better coaches and better funding because of larger student populations and alumni bases. Our middle of the conference teams beat ranked BCS schools. Just get used to the CAA winning FCS titles until the NCAA gets tired and just swap us out with MAC for FBS.

UCLA? Not getting that comparison at all. They have 27,000 undergraduates, and something like 12,000 students that live directly on the campus. They also have a strong middle-class and a decent sized affluent section of the area. The population matches the university and vice-versa.

What I don't get in the comparison--- they play at the Rose Bowl, which is outside of town. How do you compare them to Ga Tech?

gophoenix
November 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Nope. I can see the Atlantic Sun starting football before that. . .already got four teams. . . Jacksonville, Kennesaw, Campbell, and North Florida.

North Florida is still sitting still
Campbell is Big South
Jacksonville wasn't interested when Independent and the A-Sun and Big South talked a merged football conference
Kennesaw will be left alone

Watch for two of the three of Coastal, Kennesaw or Georgia State in the SoCon

Remember, it was two years ago that ESPN reported Samford to the SoCon before anyone believed it would happen; and they stated that Georgia State and Coastal in by 2013.

Hammer22
November 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
If I'm not sure if State should join the Socon, but I think we should play G. Southern every year. Everyone wants the game except Southern's AD and there are AJC articles showing proof of it.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Campbell is Big South

I thought Campbell was non-schollie playing in the PFL.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM
If I'm not sure if State should join the Socon, but I think we should play G. Southern every year. Everyone wants the game except Southern's AD and there are AJC articles showing proof of it.

Link?

whoanellie
November 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
they are

Hammer22
November 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Link?

Levick is eager for a game with the rival GSU. Baker, would not comment on a possible GSU-GSU game beyond "I hadn't thought about it." http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-or-georgia-611233.html

That's the closest thing to not wanting it w/o actually saying that. If he truly hadn't thought about it, he's a true idiot. Word is that Levick reached out, but Southern's AD is avoiding.

gasoutherneagle
November 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM
That's the closest thing to not wanting it w/o actually saying that. If he truly hadn't thought about it, he's a true idiot. Word is that Levick reached out, but Southern's AD is avoiding.

I will go no farther then to say: Sam Baker has done the best he can for GSU. I'm sure that after his retirement, Georgia Southern will only go on to new heights.

Take that however you want.

glsjunior
November 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM
UCLA? Not getting that comparison at all. They have 27,000 undergraduates, and something like 12,000 students that live directly on the campus. They also have a strong middle-class and a decent sized affluent section of the area. The population matches the university and vice-versa.

What I don't get in the comparison--- they play at the Rose Bowl, which is outside of town. How do you compare them to Ga Tech?

Ok bad comparison, I was basically alluding to USC being LA's team more than UCLA as UCLA is sort of an elite academic institution.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Remember, it was two years ago that ESPN reported Samford to the SoCon before anyone believed it would happen; and they stated that Georgia State and Coastal in by 2013.

I would like to see a link for this. This must have been speculation or "analysis" on their part.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM

They are, I am more addressing why starting an A-Sun wouldn;t include Campbell. If they want a real conference, then they would go where they're joining (again), the Big South.

emilimo701
November 12th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I'm sure UMass, Maine, Rhode Island, and probably a few others would be willing to swap Georgia State for a northern school given the chance.

I wouldn't. Except for, maybe, Albany (I duno for some reason thought they'd make a good fit). Extra travel costs aside, I think it's great for the CAA to add a team that draws upwards of 20k per game. Alluding to the old UMass bball motto: Any team, any time, any place. Bring it!

phoenix3
November 12th, 2010, 07:40 AM
This may sound crazy coming from a private school guy, but I would like to see another big state supported school come into the SoCon. I would welcome Ga State and/or Coastal. I would like to see them bolster their academics as App has and GSU is attempting, but I think they would strenghthen the SoCon over time & put us back on par with the CAA.

Coastal would add to the conference immediately with baseball.

superman7515
November 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't. Except for, maybe, Albany (I duno for some reason thought they'd make a good fit). Extra travel costs aside, I think it's great for the CAA to add a team that draws upwards of 20k per game. Alluding to the old UMass bball motto: Any team, any time, any place. Bring it!

But they don't draw upwards of 20k, haha.

superman7515
November 12th, 2010, 07:54 AM

You're killing me smalls. You guys aren't even playing in the CAA yet and you're just perpetuating the CAA arrogance even further. You have to win something before you talk smack. And as for your post before saying that the CAA wouldn't have let GSt in if they hadn't said they were bringing football, go back and read the articles and posts from when it was announced they were starting the program and then when they were going to be in the North. The over-whelming consensus at the time was that it was bad for the CAA and that they never would have taken GSt into the conference if they knew they would start football.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
This may sound crazy coming from a private school guy, but I would like to see another big state supported school come into the SoCon. I would welcome Ga State and/or Coastal. I would like to see them bolster their academics as App has and GSU is attempting, but I think they would strenghthen the SoCon over time & put us back on par with the CAA.

Coastal would add to the conference immediately with baseball.

Our school is academically better than any in the SOCON. Why would we want to be lumped in with a bunch of regional schools whose only doctoral programs are in Trucking Technology-ala Ga Southern. Do your research dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_University

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM
You're killing me smalls. You guys aren't even playing in the CAA yet and you're just perpetuating the CAA arrogance even further. You have to win something before you talk smack. And as for your post before saying that the CAA wouldn't have let GSt in if they hadn't said they were bringing football, go back and read the articles and posts from when it was announced they were starting the program and then when they were going to be in the North. The over-whelming consensus at the time was that it was bad for the CAA and that they never would have taken GSt into the conference if they knew they would start football.

I am talking about the administration and the conference. I could care less what message board posters think about the issue.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Our school is academically better than any in the SOCON. Why would we want to be lumped in with a bunch of regional schools whose only doctoral programs are in Trucking Technology-ala Ga Southern. Do your research dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_University

Oh wow. . . .xpopcornx

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Oh wow. . . .xpopcornx

lol...SOCON has some great academic institutions....but Ga Southern's only Ph.d program is in Logistics, aka Trucker science.

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Ok so we can take Georgia State off that list.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM

LOL

Oh really?

By the way, number of Ph.D programs has nothing to do with (or number of majors) has nothing to do with the quality of the school.

I am looking for how Georgia State is better than any in the SoCon overall, I just keep looking at stats online, but they jstu don't seem to line up... maybe you can post your source?

So, is this about the SoCon or about Georgia Southern?

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Yes, the CAA is better in the revenue SPORT: Men's basketball. The others for FCS and mid-majors are not revenue sports. And no, the CAA is not just as competitive in all the Olympic sports.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Now as far as the CAA vs. Socon goes, the CAA will continue to rule because our programs have better coaches and better funding because of larger student populations and alumni bases. Our middle of the conference teams beat ranked BCS schools. Just get used to the CAA winning FCS titles until the NCAA gets tired and just swap us out with MAC for FBS.

First: How do you programs have better coaches? And how is that provable? And student population means nothing as far as funding goes. And plus, you don't have stats on schools like Richmond or Villanova because just like Elon, Furman, Samford, Davidson and Wofford... well... many of the stats are not published for private schools as they are via public record at public schools.

Second: One middle of the conference team beat one BCS ranked school. There, I fixed it for you. The FCS has beaten two ranked schools ever. Once by App, Once by JMU. Overall outside of that, since 2003 (which is all I went back to), the average rank of a FBS team the SoCon has played is 38 while the average rank of one the CAA plays is 82.

Third: Get used to the CAA winning national titles? Why would anyone do that? It's not like the CAA has a monopoly there.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM
LOL

Oh really?

By the way, number of Ph.D programs has nothing to do with (or number of majors) has nothing to do with the quality of the school.

I am looking for how Georgia State is better than any in the SoCon overall, I just keep looking at stats online, but they jstu don't seem to line up... maybe you can post your source?

So, is this about the SoCon or about Georgia Southern?

Sources

College of Law http://law.gsu.edu/news/4934.html http://law.gsu.edu/news/4950.html http://law.gsu.edu/news/4112.html

Robinson College of Business http://robinson.gsu.edu/news/2010/ftrankings.html http://robinson.gsu.edu/news/2010/rankings.html

Andrew Young School of Policy Studies http://aysps.gsu.edu/national-rankings.html

Your move

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I've lived in Atlanta for over 25 years with the last 10 being within 5 miles of the GaState campus. Most people in Atlanta think of GaState as a regional, downtown commuter school no more and no less...if they recognized it at all. The football program is a GREAT move by GaState to draw attention to what it has to offer. I for one would love to have GaState and Kennasaw State in the SoCon as both have the ability to be successful and competitive in football and in other sports.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I've lived in Atlanta for over 25 years with the last 10 being within 5 miles of the GaState campus. Most people in Atlanta think of GaState as a regional, downtown commuter school no more and no less...if they recognized it at all. The football program is a GREAT move by GaState to draw attention to what it has to offer. I for one would love to have GaState and Kennasaw State in the SoCon as both have the ability to be successful and competitive in football and in other sports.

I lived in Atlanta for over 36 years and I say that you are wrong. But in any event we have nothing in common with Socon teams other than geography.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Sources

College of Law http://law.gsu.edu/news/4934.html http://law.gsu.edu/news/4950.html http://law.gsu.edu/news/4112.html

Robinson College of Business http://robinson.gsu.edu/news/2010/ftrankings.html http://robinson.gsu.edu/news/2010/rankings.html

Andrew Young School of Policy Studies http://aysps.gsu.edu/national-rankings.html

Your move

You taken 4 essential majors of a select few surveyed are and making claims that the school is better than any other of 12 in another conference because of it? 4 programs out of 65. Seriously? That's what you're backing this up with?

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
You taken 4 essential majors of a select few surveyed are and making claims that the school is better than any other of 12 in another conference because of it? 4 programs out of 65. Seriously? That's what you're backing this up with?

Which is more than you have given me. And BTW those aren't majors..they are schools.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I lived in Atlanta for over 36 years and I say that you are wrong. But in any event we have nothing in common with Socon teams other than geography.

How do you figure that? You have more in common with george mason, william & mary, hofstra, northeastern, richmond?

Your lack of research into this, as well as your lack of knowledge of your own conference mates, makes your whole argument funny.

Please, keep going with the logic here!

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
But in any event we have nothing in common with Socon teams other than geography.

You're right, GaSt is nothing like any school in the SoCon; because GaSt hasn't proven diddly on the field.

Yes, I realize the program is just days old, but please stop going around thumping your chest like GaSt is the class of the FCS.

Welcome to the CAA, now sit down, shut up and prepare to get humiliated for several years.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
How do you figure that? You have more in common with george mason, william & mary, hofstra, northeastern, richmond?

Your lack of research into this, as well as your lack of knowledge of your own conference mates, makes your whole argument funny.

Please, keep going with the logic here!

Never said that the CAA was perfect for us, but most of them are large public research universities located in relatively large urban areas. The Socon is mostly small regional liberal arts colleges and a couple of regional public universities. Our school's size and urban location gives us access to an athletic budget roughly double of the Socon avg. We have as much more in common with ODU than we would ever have with Wofford or the frickin Citadel. We got out of the Atlantic Sun for the same reason.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
You're right, GaSt is nothing like any school in the SoCon; because GaSt hasn't proven diddly on the field.

Yes, I realize the program is just days old, but please stop going around thumping your chest like GaSt is the class of the FCS.

Welcome to the CAA, now sit down, shut up and prepare to get humiliated for several years.

Never said that we were....not yet. I didn't want to turn this into a smack thread but there is no way in hell I was gonna let someone from a SOCON school tell me that we need to improve our academics to the level of the Southern Conference.

ElonAlum
November 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Ignorance is bliss isnt it?

Its always amusing to hear some one talk out of there ***. You need to really do some more research glsjunior about SoCon schools before your open your mouth again.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm sure if some SoCon fans wanted to cherry pick through recognitions they'd can come up with sources to prove their school is the best in the land too.

ElonAlum
November 12th, 2010, 11:02 AM
To get back on topic. Id like to see Coastal come to the SoCon since its a larger public university and the last couple of schools have been private. I think it would round out the conference better. I can see State trying to jump to the FBS level soon and Kennesaw St going Big South at least for a couple of years. Id rather the SoCon bring in a school that has had an already established football team.

I totally forgot Charlotte. Id also like to see them in the Big South for a few years before moving up to the SoCon.....but I wouldnt be surprised if they start in the SoCon and move up to the FBS level soon.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Coastal seems to be a great fit for the SoCon. If UNCC and CCU join the SoCon their perceived value as a conference just doubled.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm sure if some SoCon fans wanted to cherry pick through recognitions they'd can come up with sources to prove their school is the best in the land too.

No doubt. But any comparison to us would be apples an oranges as we are judged with other national research universities, while most SOCON schools would be judged with southeastern liberal arts institutions and junior colleges. I'm sure someone will post an article stating "Elon is ranked #1 in North Carolina Christian Masters Level Universities", by Southern Bible College Magazine.

Maybe Oglethorpe U can restart its football program. They'd be perfect for the SOCON. Or maybe Agnes Scott.

ElonAlum
November 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Wow.... you really like talking out of your A** dont you?? I didnt realize that State produced such arrogance....i thought that was reserved for Tech

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
No doubt. But any comparison to us would be apples an oranges as we are judged with other national research universities, while most SOCON schools would be judged with southeastern liberal arts institutions and junior colleges. I'm sure someone will post an article stating "Elon is ranked #1 in North Carolina Christian Masters Level Universities", by Southern Bible College Magazine.

Well just a quick look through Google at some of the SoCon teams (okay just one, cause I'm lazy) AppState seems to have received a Time Magazine's College of the Year award in 2001 and (I'm quoting cause again I'm lazy and don't want to type it out) "Ranked 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 10th overall among public and private universities in the South " by US News & World Report in 2008

So take that for whatever it's worth. I'm sure Wofford, Furman, Davidson and Elon have a few honors they could add to App's recognitions (and probably top them too)

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:15 AM
But back on topic, glad GaSt is in the CAA. Means the records of the CAA teams will be inflated for a few years with an easy win (make that 2 wins w/ ODU). Now there is a chance to get 6-7 teams in the playoffs.

Also, SoCon nuts, what chance is there that UNCC will be in the SoCon?

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Maybe Oglethorpe U can restart its football program. They'd be perfect for the SOCON. Or maybe Agnes Scott.

Well, it's not Southern Bible College Magazine, but U.S. News did rank us as the #2 university in the South Region.

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
But back on topic, glad GaSt is in the CAA. Means the records of the CAA teams will be inflated for a few years with an easy win (make that 2 wins w/ ODU). Now there is a chance to get 6-7 teams in the playoffs.

Little to none. UNCC said they want to be FBS and want to only spend a few years in the FCS.

T-Dog
November 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I think UNCC will be fine as an independent for the time they're in FCS. Plenty of potential games within driving distance.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Little to none. UNCC said they want to be FBS and want to only spend a few years in the FCS.

But isn't the GaSt's MO as well? Everyone wants to move up, don't see either school getting that chance within the next 5-7 years. UNCC has to go somewhere.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I think UNCC will be fine as an independent for the time they're in FCS. Plenty of potential games within driving distance.

Possible. GaSo managed that well for a while. I guess if they want to keep their A10 BBall they will be an indy Football school. Especially since they don't care about making rivals yet.

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
But isn't the GaSt's MO as well? Everyone wants to move up, don't see either school getting that chance within the next 5-7 years. UNCC has to go somewhere.

True, but as T-Dog said, they should be fine being independent.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
UNCC going FBS would shake a few things up for the SoCon. Talk about losing recruits in their area. Same for the Virginia CAA schools.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
UNCC going FBS would shake a few things up for the SoCon. Talk about losing recruits in their area. Same for the Virginia CAA schools.

It won't affect recruiting that much, might take a few away, but overall, do they want FBS or FCS talent? If they want FBS talent, then they'll be holding onto in-state recruits that go out of state to other FBS teams. Might affect Charlotte recruiting, but that's primarily App's territory.

It's interesting to see what the CAA is doing. Taking in ODU and GA State who already want out isn't exactly setting up for long term stability, especially if JMU is looking for a way up too.

Nor Eastern
November 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
How many teams in the SoCon are looking to jump up? Is GaSo waiting on App to make a move? Will they try to package themselves together to a conference?

Would Davidson replace any team if a jump is made? Could they afford scholarships and new staff?

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Apples to Oranges? you mean?

Georgia State is a Tier 2 National University. Not national research university. Just generic national university. Meaning, not even in the top 190.

Funny, Georgia Southern is in Tier 2 also. UNCG is 190, above Georgia State. Furman, Davidson and Wofford are top 70 National Liberal Arts Universities.

Fact is, has there are many "regional" universities in the CAA too.

But the thing is, you're just trolling now. You've still yet to back anything you've said in this thread up with any sort of logic.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
How many teams in the SoCon are looking to jump up? Is GaSo waiting on App to make a move? Will they try to package themselves together to a conference?

Would Davidson replace any team if a jump is made? Could they afford scholarships and new staff?

Davidson can afford scholarships but won't.... they are pathetic.

phoenix3
November 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Do your research... dude. There are many schools including Georgia State, that have masters and doctoral programs that have an overall student body that couldn't sniff getting into schools like Furman, Appalachian, Davidson and Elon. I lived in Atlanta for years and have visited Ga. St. I apparently know more than you about Ga. St. academics.

phoenix3
November 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM

All I have heard is that UNCC will be going straight into the FBS. I'm not sure exactly how this could happen but that's what I've heard.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well, it's not Southern Bible College Magazine, but U.S. News did rank us as the #2 university in the South Region.

Of course you are. As Wes Durham always says, Elon is the "Yale of the South" lol

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Of course you are. As Wes Durham always says, Elon is the "Yale of the South" lol

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/masters-universities-south-rankings
Check and mate.

And I never said we were anything close to Yale. Seriously, where did your "Georgia State is the greatest thing ever" mentally come from?

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Do your research... dude. There are many schools including Georgia State, that have masters and doctoral programs that have an overall student body that couldn't sniff getting into schools like Furman, Appalachian, Davidson and Elon. I lived in Atlanta for years and have visited Ga. St. I apparently know more than you about Ga. St. academics.

Considering I have two degrees from there you probably don't. In any event, it is comparing apples to oranges. Large urban, research universities like GSU serve to educate the general public, provide research support for local and federal governmental entities and serve as a source of recruits for big business, which is why we have more CEO graduates than even Ga Tech or UGA.
Schools like Appalachian, Davidson and Elon serve mainly as feeders for other school's graduate programs, or they provide the workforce for teachers, professors and local businesses.

glsjunior
November 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/masters-universities-south-rankings
Check and mate.

And I never said we were anything close to Yale. Seriously, where did your "Georgia State is the greatest thing ever" mentally come from?

I said Wes Durham. If you don't know who he is maybe I know more about Elon than you do. And if you look at my earlier post I said that the schools you are judged against are different from the schools that GSU is judged against. You are a southern regional school. We are a national research university. Yes I have pride in my school like everyone on here should have. I'd defend my school against Harvard if I had to (I'd lose, but I wouldn't concede ish.)

phoenixphanatic21
November 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I said Wes Durham. If you don't know who he is maybe I know more about Elon than you do.

Forgot for a second that he went to Elon. My mistake.

heath
November 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Never said that we were....not yet. I didn't want to turn this into a smack thread but there is no way in hell I was gonna let someone from a SOCON school tell me that we need to improve our academics to the level of the Southern Conference.

Georgia state listed as a tier 2 school academically in US News,no score or ranking available,so honestly surprised they fit the CAA mold,but you're in and not much we can do for a few years,by then the SoCon might want you if they lose a few teams.

phoenix3
November 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Considering I have two degrees from there you probably don't. In any event, it is comparing apples to oranges. Large urban, research universities like GSU serve to educate the general public, provide research support for local and federal governmental entities and serve as a source of recruits for big business, which is why we have more CEO graduates than even Ga Tech or UGA.
Schools like Appalachian, Davidson and Elon serve mainly as feeders for other school's graduate programs, or they provide the workforce for teachers, professors and local businesses.

You are completely insane and full of yourself. Did you realize that there are more Fortune 500 CEOs from Davidson College than any other single undergraduate school? You are digging your hole deeper with every post.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I said Wes Durham. If you don't know who he is maybe I know more about Elon than you do. And if you look at my earlier post I said that the schools you are judged against are different from the schools that GSU is judged against. You are a southern regional school. We are a national research university. Yes I have pride in my school like everyone on here should have. I'd defend my school against Harvard if I had to (I'd lose, but I wouldn't concede ish.)

No, you are a national university, the national research university is a different category.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM

The workforce for teachers, professors and local businesses. LOL

Wow, wow and wow .... hahaha

I am really surprised at the logic used here, and you have two degrees? You have more spin than a politician.

Aha, and there we have it right in your profile. You are an attorney. In other words, you are trained at giving facts to back up only your side of things and dancing around questions offered in opposition. In other words, almost fully trained to be a politician.

Stay classy!

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Wow, I was expecting to come home from work this evening and continue battling with this Georgia State guy, Hey... Enough said. Thanks SoCon faithful.

P.S. Georgia Southern has several of both PhD and Doctoral programs. Not to mention the Engineering school beginning in 2011. ...just sayin'.

adamsputnik
November 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Where do the GA State people get off with their arrogance? They've had a football team for three months and they're the biggest trash talkers going around.

panama
November 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wow..all of this happened today?

SoCon is a great conference for football but it does not fit GSU. By the way in my opinion neither does the CAA. We're bordered by 5 states, non of which are represented in the CAA. Ignoring divisions, subdivisions and the like the conferences that best fit us are C-USA followed by the Sunbelt. We're a large urban national research university with 31k students. We should be playing other large southern urban universities. As for the Tier 2 thing, ironically I was looking up US News & World Report's methodology the night before last. I was interested in finding out what was keeping us down in Tier 2. Their methodology heavily weighs graduation within 4 years and percentage of full-time students. Although we are steadily enrolling more and more "traditional" students we are never going to have the numbers of a UGA or Florida. I dont think we will ever be a school without a significant night school nor should we. At any rate, their methodology is going to work against schools with working students.

panama
November 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Where do the GA State people get off with their arrogance? They've had a football team for three months and they're the biggest trash talkers going around.

There was only one trash talker from GSU on the thread.

phan
November 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM
and there is still only one GSU in the FCS and it isn't Ga State!

panama
November 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
and there is still only one GSU in the FCS and it isn't Ga State!

This again?

phan
November 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
yup
This again?

panama
November 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
yup

Its all good. I am sure people in Panama City, FL think they are the real Panama. ;)

superman7515
November 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Isn't Panama a 1969 Opel Kadett?

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I thought it was a cool hat popular in the 80's.

wr70beh
November 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM
The SoCon has 4 schools in the top 20 in South Regional Universities, and the A-Sun (which was shunned by a Georgia State fan in an earlier thread) has 4 schools in the top 20, too.

Someone mentioned that Georgia State should be with "like schools" like in the Sun Belt. Well, he may be right:
Florida Atlantic University: Tier 2
Florida International University: Tier 2
Louisiana-Lafayette: Tier 2
Louisiana-Monroe: Tier 2
North Texas: Tier 2

phan
November 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
i thought it was a song by van halen.
Isn't Panama a 1969 Opel Kadett?

gophoenix
November 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Its all good. I am sure people in Panama City, FL think they are the real Panama. ;)

I doesn't matter who the real GSU is. GSU has been Georgia Southern in FCS for the past 25 years or more. GSU might have been Georgia State in the TAAC and the A-Sun, but you don't even hear fans in the CAA call Georgia State by the name GSU.

Fight it all you want, GSU might have meant Georgia State in the 1950s, but in present day, no one calls Georgia State GSU outside of Atlanta.

panama
November 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
ok
Southern has not been a university for 25 years.

But ok.

I doesn't matter who the real GSU is. GSU has been Georgia Southern in FCS for the past 25 years or more. GSU might have been Georgia State in the TAAC and the A-Sun, but you don't even hear fans in the CAA call Georgia State by the name GSU.

Fight it all you want, GSU might have meant Georgia State in the 1950s, but in present day, no one calls Georgia State GSU outside of Atlanta.

panama
November 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
The SoCon has 4 schools in the top 20 in South Regional Universities, and the A-Sun (which was shunned by a Georgia State fan in an earlier thread) has 4 schools in the top 20 , too. Someone mentioned that Georgia State should be with "like schools" like in the Sun Belt. Well, he may be right: Florida Atlantic University: Tier 2 Florida International University: Tier 2 Louisiana-Lafayette: Tier 2 Louisiana-Monroe: Tier 2 North Texas: Tier 2 National Research Universities to Regionals is really apples to oranges. At any rate I am not disagreeing that we have more in common to FIU, FAU, UAB, Memphis and the like. This is why I say divisions and subdivisions aside we most fit with CUSA or the Sunbelt.

seantaylor
November 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Georgia State is a terrible academic institution as a whole. Georgia Southern has the much better undergrad program, and will pass State in most grad fields soon. Just started the second engineering school in the state which is going to boost up our enrollment over 25,000 "real on campus" students within a couple of years. Georgia State is the university of commuters, and old, out of work housewives.

gophoenix
November 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM
National Research Universities to Regionals is really apples to oranges. At any rate I am not disagreeing that we have more in common to FIU, FAU, UAB, Memphis and the like. This is why I say divisions and subdivisions aside we most fit with CUSA or the Sunbelt.

It is a national university, not national research university. And even that, sports and the like are supported by the undergrads and the undergrad alumni, people rarely care about where they get their masters or higher from when compared to the undergrad school. Also, given that a third of the Georgia State student body comes from basically the night school and part time continuing ed type stuff, those are again not students that apply to how a school is run.

FIU, FAU, UAB, UNCC are all completely different than Georgia State in those regards. And a Regional University is not much different than a national university in terms of WHO SUPPORTS ATHLETICS. The only difference is the number of graduate programs. It has nothing to even do with the amount of undergrad research that is performed!

Goodness go and read the category rankings and then go read stats on who from student bodies go to games statistically.

glsjunior
November 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Georgia State is a terrible academic institution as a whole. Georgia Southern has the much better undergrad program, and will pass State in most grad fields soon. Just started the second engineering school in the state which is going to boost up our enrollment over 25,000 "real on campus" students within a couple of years. Georgia State is the university of commuters, and old, out of work housewives.

Lol. We have been awarding Ph.D's for decades and Ga Southern just began awarding them this year, in trucker science http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/strategic/index.php?s=227 conversely, we just opened a 150 million dollar research center, which will house an infectious disease lab (undoubtedly to study the STD epidemic in Statesboro)

By 2015 GSU is expected to have nearly 50k students, which means that we will probably surpass UGA in enrollment. So unless the SOCON reverts back to its pre 1940's membership, we will have nothing in common with the current members.

And despite my smack, I'd be proud to send my children to any of the schools in the SOCON...except Ga Southern, because meth is bad for your long term memory.

gophoenix
November 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Lol. We have been awarding Ph.D's for decades and Ga Southern just began awarding them this year, in trucker science http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/strategic/index.php?s=227 conversely, we just opened a 150 million dollar research center, which will house an infectious disease lab (undoubtedly to study the STD epidemic in Statesboro)

By 2015 GSU is expected to have nearly 50k students, which means that we will probably surpass UGA in enrollment. So unless the SOCON reverts back to its pre 1940's membership, we will have nothing in common with the current members.

And despite my smack, I'd be proud to send my children to any of the schools in the SOCON...except Ga Southern, because meth is bad for your long term memory.

You are still failing to address the one point. Undergrad is basically all that matters for sports. You are talking sports vs Universities. Adding in 20k more part time, continuing ed and masters+ students does not translate into anything for sports. Undergrad at Georgia State has little to no difference content wise with the undergrad at SoCon or other schools in the CAA or CUSA. You are not making an apples to apples comparison when you compare "like universities" and then go into "sports" in the same sentence.

By this logic, Campbell has 15,000 students.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Q: How do you get a Georgia State graduate off your porch?

A: Pay him (or her) for the pizza he (or she) delivered.

panama
November 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
We tell the same joke about Southern grads. Fits more.

superman7515
November 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
i thought it was a song by van halen.

The Van Halen song was about David Lee Roth's 1969 Opel Kadett, hence my reference.

Catatonic
November 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM

xlolx

Never thought I would see the day that Ga Southern would talk academic smack.

xlolx

GSUGrad06
November 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Well just a quick look through Google at some of the SoCon teams (okay just one, cause I'm lazy) AppState seems to have received a Time Magazine's College of the Year award in 2001 and (I'm quoting cause again I'm lazy and don't want to type it out) "Ranked 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 10th overall among public and private universities in the South " by US News & World Report in 2008

So take that for whatever it's worth. I'm sure Wofford, Furman, Davidson and Elon have a few honors they could add to App's recognitions (and probably top them too)

Notice the "regional public...in the South" part of that. GSU is ranked and catagorized as a national research university in it's rankings, not a regional southern university.

I'll be honest, outside of the business, law, policy studies and science colleges within GSU I have no idea where we rank...probably nothing special. Because I graduated and recruit from it, I can speak to the business schools accomplisments. 3rd in Risk Management, 7th in CIS, 11th in Real Estate, 34th overall business undergrad among national research universities, usually top 10 in accounting/tax, EMBA is 23rd in the US, etc. It's not by luck the list of companies and firms that attend the Accounting recruiting events is as impressive as it is.

Why do the people who live immediately around GSU not know much about it? We didn't have a football team and we're in the south where football puts you on the map. However, with all the land and buildings GSU owns and is buying in downtown they are pretty aware of it now. It's unfortunate but our football team will put the schol on map as it deserves.

As far as who knows about GSU's academics, the people who matter (the people who hire our graduates) know about our academics. More executives in Georgia companies hold a GSU degree than any other university, Harvard is 2nd. What you people online think doesn't make a difference in my salary or my career progression so keep showing your ignorance by refusing to give credit where credit is due. You can do nothing but attack where you feel threatened and since I'll admit you don't feel threatened on the field (for now) you try any other lame attack at GSU to make yourself feel better.

Besides, the school on your degree doesn't matter much after you get into the workplace. Apparently the majority here doesn't get that so I can take my assumptions about the crowd here and feel pretty good about them.

This isn't a football forum, this is a hate playground where all the angry kids come to play and push their attitude behind a keyboard. Good luck to you all, I'm pretty sure I'm done here. I'm still trying to figure out why against my better judgement I stumbled here in the first place. xthumbsupx

GSUGrad06
November 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Check and mate.

Again, try searching in the "National Universities" and you'll find GSU. See, this just shows you guys have no idea what you're talking about. GSU is not a "regional south" university. Just facts people.

gophoenix
November 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Again, try searching in the "National Universities" and you'll find GSU. See, this just shows you guys have no idea what you're talking about. GSU is not a "regional south" university. Just facts people.

Again, spin spin spin. If you read the requirements for categories, the difference between regional university and national university solely rests on PhD and some Masters programs. It has nothing to do with research at all. And it definitely has nothing to do with undergrad studies. College sports is normally an undergrad exercise.

1andDone
November 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Ga St, wants to stay in CAA, most fans think they can be competitive immediately

gsu_paintballer
November 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Besides, the school on your degree doesn't matter much after you get into the workplace. Apparently the majority here doesn't get that so I can take my assumptions about the crowd here and feel pretty good about them.

Good luck explaining this to your fellow fans.

This is actually a very commonly unknown fact.

GATA
November 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
The whole "my school is better than your school" is pretty lame. Everybody's school sucks...yours isn't special. Georgia Southern is in the middle of nowhere and Georgia State is a dump. who cares?

Like anybody with a job knows...nobody cares where you went to school.

There are plenty of people making more money than all of us who have a high school education or a University of Phoenix online certificate in basket weaving...

phoenix3
November 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I don't deny that Ga. St. may have more "executives" and "CEOs" than any other college in Georgia. When you educate the Atlanta community, you wind up with "presidents, CEOs and executives" of small, mom & pop companies. I doubt, very seriously, that Ga. St. has more CEOs of 500+ employee companies than Ga. Tech. Alamance Community College has more CEOs in Alamance County than UNC does as well. It surely doesn't mean that ACC is a better school. And, hey, NCCU has a law school. So don't tell me that just because you have graduate schools that makes Ga. St. an academically superior school.

49RFootballNow
November 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
All I have heard is that UNC Charlotte will be going straight into the FBS. I'm not sure exactly how this could happen but that's what I've heard.

We have no plans currently to move up to FBS in the short-term. FBS is a long-term goal. We are actively seeking CAA football affiliate membership. Coastal Carolina's AD has said there is great interest in us as football-only members for the Big South. Our AD is on record saying we will not be leaving the A10 so football and some other sports OOC scheduling is what we have to offer.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I don't deny that Ga. St. may have more "executives" and "CEOs" than any other college in Georgia. When you educate the Atlanta community, you wind up with "presidents, CEOs and executives" of small, mom & pop companies. I doubt, very seriously, that Ga. St. has more CEOs of 500+ employee companies than Ga. Tech. Alamance Community College has more CEOs in Alamance County than UNC does as well. It surely doesn't mean that ACC is a better school. And, hey, NCCU has a law school. So don't tell me that just because you have graduate schools that makes Ga. St. an academically superior school.

Whatever man.

http://robinson.gsu.edu/resources/images/reorganization/career_services/gsu_list_ext.gif

For more: http://robinson.gsu.edu/recruiters/survey.html

phoenix3
November 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
This says "Top Executives within GEORGIA Companies", what does that mean? Whatever is right!

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'd like to see KSU in the SoCon but never GaState.

EDIT: KSU and CCU would be a nice package deal IMO.

blazrdog#1
November 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
It's NOT going to happen in this century!Reality,mentality and persona bear witness to a dirty program!

GA St. MBB Fan
November 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
This says "Top Executives within GEORGIA Companies", what does that mean? Whatever is right!

C'mon man...get serious...look at the schools on that list. Do you really think they were knocking on the doors of "mom and pop companies" to compile that list? Look who did the survey: Standard and Poor's. Look at the heading on the chart on the page: "Atlanta S&P Executives with Advanced Degrees."

I would have figure someone who went to "Yale of the South" could have clicked a link and read a webpage. But maybe that's why there aren't any Elon grads on that list.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2010, 01:45 PM
C'mon man...get serious...look at the schools on that list. Do you really think they were knocking on the doors of "mom and pop companies" to compile that list? Look who did the survey: Standard and Poor's. Look at the heading on the chart on the page: "Atlanta S&P Executives with Advanced Degrees."

I would have figure someone who went to "Yale of the South" could have clicked a link and read a webpage. But maybe that's why there aren't any Elon grads on that list.

Exactly, there is no data to define what this list means. And just because someone graduated Ivy League doesn't mean anything about a company, size, integrity or well, anything. Also, by this list, what does executive mean? Does it mean on the board, in a president position, or does it mean a much lower "director" at a subsidiary level? There is no data to back up anything here, and n o data to even say what it means.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see KSU in the SoCon but never GaState.

EDIT: KSU and CCU would be a nice package deal IMO.

You are right, and I think that may be what we'll end up seeing. When Samford was brought in, someone told me Coastal was going to be in 2-3 years later.

glsjunior
November 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
In any event KSU is where strippers go to get educated so they should fit in great in the SOCON

GA St. MBB Fan
November 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
In any event KSU is where strippers go to get educated so they should fit in great in the SOCON

Funny you say that 'cause a stripper and porn star was on "The Regular Guys" on Rock 100.5 this morning and she studied marketing at KSU.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Exactly, there is no data to define what this list means. And just because someone graduated Ivy League doesn't mean anything about a company, size, integrity or well, anything. Also, by this list, what does executive mean? Does it mean on the board, in a president position, or does it mean a much lower "director" at a subsidiary level? There is no data to back up anything here, and n o data to even say what it means.

I agree there isn't much detail in the website. As obviously it is just a snippet of a greater study/ranking/etc. However, I think it's pretty clear of what type of companies they are referring to when they say "Atlanta S&P Executives." As I said before, they are not talking about "mom and pop companies." I believe it is clear that they are talking about companies on the Standard and Poor's indicies that are based in Atlanta, and those aren't "mom and pop companies."

phoenix3
November 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
You can absolutely look up small companies on S&P. To my knowledge, there is no annual sales minimum. The S&P definately lists companies under $2M. Depending on the industry, $2M can easily be a mom & pop.

phoenix3
November 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
D@mn. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm getting tired of posting about this stuff. I stand by my original statement & am going back to posting about sports...

gophoenix
November 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I agree there isn't much detail in the website. As obviously it is just a snippet of a greater study/ranking/etc. However, I think it's pretty clear of what type of companies they are referring to when they say "Atlanta S&P Executives." As I said before, they are not talking about "mom and pop companies." I believe it is clear that they are talking about companies on the Standard and Poor's indicies that are based in Atlanta, and those aren't "mom and pop companies."

S&P is an index that lists companies. Notice this doesn't say S&P 200 companies, or S&P 500. It just says S&P, which would mean any company S&P indexes. So, with that, that says S&P companies in the Atlanta area; even isolating it further. I am just saying, without data or explanation, this could mean anything and could be any level of management called an executive. From the S&P site, that means senior management, directors, VPs, Presidents, and BODs. I would be willing to bet any school could do this and get a listing that looks like this for an area with a focus of that school's graduates.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM

I don't see anything on KSU's website that says this. In fact, in looking at KSU's website, you find data that backs up the school as being the greatest just like the data you guys are providing on Georgia St here.

I am curious as to why you guys are so quick to dump on SoCon and other schools while demanding respect at the same time?

glsjunior
November 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I don't see anything on KSU's website that says this. In fact, in looking at KSU's website, you find data that backs up the school as being the greatest just like the data you guys are providing on Georgia St here.

I am curious as to why you guys are so quick to dump on SoCon and other schools while demanding respect at the same time?

The dude that made this song went to Kennesaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRnbuwZ7I0

This dude went to Georgia State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw429JGL5zo

heath
November 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
The dude that made this song went to Kennesaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRnbuwZ7I0

This dude went to Georgia State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw429JGL5zo

Dude,go grab a brew and watch the massacre,Welcome to the CAA next season

GSU EAGLES
November 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Lets not confuse Ga State with Harvard. Georgia Southern's average Freshman SAT is higher than Ga State. Also the Ga Board of Regents finally allowed another school other than Ga Tech to have Engineering so starting this Fall Georgia Southern's Engineering Technology Program will be a fully accredited Mechanical, Electical, Civil Engineering program and will pull in state students that couldn't get into Ga Tech and instead went to Clemson, Auburn etc. Not that stealing from Auburn is anything special as Ga Southern's average freshman SAT is higher than theirs as well. UGA also had will have an Engineering program as well but it will take a few years to get it up and running. Ga State does have a pretty good law school, but most people went to another undergrad school so their loyalties are elsewhere. The jury is out if Ga State will support the team. Basketball support has always been horrible and football attendance fell off to less than 10k by the last game.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/regents-to-take-up-733124.html

adamsputnik
November 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Come on, don't be an arse. Why do you feel the need to put KSU down at every opportunity? Is there some epidemic of classlessness down there in downtown?

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Dude,go grab a brew and watch the massacre,Welcome to the CAA next season

Easy there Heath, they don't play in the CAA next year either. Don't blame us for this! Haha

GunsAndGuitars
November 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Easy there Heath, they don't play in the CAA next year either. Don't blame us for this! Haha

But that's who I blame everything on.

Nor Eastern
November 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Reading this thread I have learned this;

Georgia State is an Ivy League school with SEC Football prowess.

No wonder they don't want to be in the SoCon. They have the Ivies and SEC to choose from.

Best University in the country? Close.

Nor Eastern
November 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I do enjoy the fact that GaSt is excited to be a (future) member of the CAA. However, you don't see senseless claims by the other future member: ODU.

When both schools are full members, I will enjoy seeing who can handle the league play the best.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Like anybody with a job knows...nobody cares where you went to school.

There are plenty of people making more money than all of us who have a high school education or a University of Phoenix online certificate in basket weaving...

This is only smart thing anyone has said on this thread since the "my school is smarter than your school" bs started. Its not completely true though that nobody cares where you went to school. Losers care because that's all they've got; they don't have real accomplishments to point to.

My wife has an MBA from a major tier 1 university and her boss dropped out of a regional teachers college after two years of undergrad - and the company is owned by a filthy rich old guy who dropped out of school after the 7th grade.