PDA

View Full Version : Next FCS School to WAC?

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Now that TXST and UTSA have gone to the WAC... it still has not solved the league's membership issues.

The league is sitting right on the number of schools needed to be a FBS football league. With questions surrounding the future of La Tech, Utah State and Hawaii - mainly those schools at least - where will the WAC look next to sustain its future?

Cal Poly
Lamar
Montana/Montana State
Portland State
Sacramento State
Sam Houston State
UC-Davis
Other (please specify)

aceinthehole
November 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM
They take non-football Seattle first, and hold tight until someone leaves.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Since Lakesbison is banned I will speak in behalf of him and say NDSU.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
They take non-football Seattle first, and hold tight until someone leaves.

We're talking football - Seattle may be in now, but football needs eight members to survive as an FBS conference.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I understand that the University of Denver is also under consideration.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
We're talking football - Seattle may be in now, but football needs eight members to survive as an FBS conference.

Maybe he means the Seahawks.xlolx

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I understand that the University of Denver is also under consideration.

Denver is in -see below thread.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?78538-Today-s-WAC-Announcement-TXST-UTSA

MplsBison
November 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I actually think the WAC is content...for now. They have eight football members and nine in football.

If anymore football members leave, they will have to invite more Big Sky schools.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I actually think the WAC is content...for now. They have eight football members and nine in football.

Eight is enough.

That's what they have - but they risk one school leaving and being in the situation of adding an upstart again.

McNeese75
November 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Seriously????? Another friggin WAC thread? You can't find something more interesting to rail about????

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Seriously????? Another friggin WAC thread? You can't find something more interesting to rail about????

Conference realignment is an 'evergreen' subject... continues on, all the time... :)

msusig
November 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
The WAC (as we will see in the next two years) has eight football members and 10 all-sport members:

1. Hawaii
2. San Jose State
3. Louisiana Tech
4. New Mexico State
5. Utah State
6. Idaho
7. Texas State
8. Texas-San Antonio
9. Denver (non-football)
10. Seattle (non-football)

The WAC in my eyes is on the verge of collapsing. With the losses of Boise, Fresno, and Nevada and with today's announcement by Montana to reject the WAC and stay in the Big Sky, this shows how incredibly unstable the WAC truly is. In my honest opinion, Montana made the right decision to stay in the FCS level. Now, if they were invited to the Big 12, then maybe they should reconsider.

Eventually, Hawaii's going to leave, and they are going leave very soon. Montana's rejection to the WAC is going to turn heads in Honolulu. When they look and see who is left in their league, they aren't going to want to stay.

I'm disappointed that BYU decided to leave the Mountain West, but in going Independent in football I am very glad they decided the West Coast Conference with its Gonzaga, Pepperdine, etc. was a much better deal for the other sports than the WAC. Moving to the WAC now would've been a disaster for BYU.

Very bad timing for a 4-5 BYU with a lose to Utah State to be going independent.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Very bad timing for a 4-5 BYU with a lose to Utah State to be going independent.

BYU is in a different position from most other schools. While I'm sure they enjoy some level of athletic success, in the end, I doubt it is a huge recruitment tool for potential students.

NoCoDanny
November 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
It's Seattle.

Catbooster
November 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Idaho State. They need a travel partner for Idaho with Boise gone.xsmiley_wix

Sec310
November 12th, 2010, 12:52 AM
The three CA schools are in survivor mode, Davis cut some sports, and all three are facing huge budget cuts. Unless they get the students to pay for the move to FBS, all three are staying in FCS. These students are now facing a 15% fee increase. In other words, a very long shot for any of those three CA schools to move up.

But you're right, the WAC is in trouble, because, I think Hawaii, will go indy in football or just stay in WAC for football only and go Big West in all sports.

I read the Hawaii board and they think that, even if they have to pay travel cost in the BW, it would be cheaper, since all 8 (or 9?) BW schools are in CA.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 07:26 AM
It's Seattle.

Seattle is not an FCS institution.

I read the Hawaii board and they think that, even if they have to pay travel cost in the BW, it would be cheaper, since all 8 (or 9?) BW schools are in CA.

Hawaii would love the Big West... question is whether they would remain in WAC for football or having a schedule-arrangement?

Green Cookie Monster
November 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Sac State is just fine, thanks for being concerned sec310. Students will see their activity fee increase next year b/c the president raised the athletic fee to offset cuts. Now that Moonbeam Brown is in office, the CSU's will see a reversal of funding misfortune.

I agree though, the Cali schools arent going anywhere if they had the money or not, it is a perception issue and with employees getting laid off or furloughed it doesnt sit well to announce expanding to FBS at this time.

UC's face a 33% increase, CSU's a 15%.