PDA

View Full Version : TSU Turnaround, Faces Grambling Tonight

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Good luck to the Texas Southern Tigers... this has been a great few years for the SWAC teams in Texas. PVAMU has completed a turnaround under HF3 and now the TSU bunch may be doing the same under J-Cole...

Texas Southern football coach Johnnie Cole has the year 1968 stamped in his memory.

It's a reminder of the prize that has eluded his program for more than four decades. For Cole, it has been far too long since TSU won its last Southwestern Athletic Conference championship.

The 1968 Tigers, who split the title with Alcorn State and Grambling State, were of an era when TSU was a perennial contender in the SWAC. The accomplishments of those teams from 1950s and '60s have been overshadowed by the disparaging label placed on the program in recent years.

From 2004-07, the Tigers went 4-40, including two 0-11 seasons, under the direction of former coach Steve Wilson. Recruiting had become stagnant, fan support was crumbling and the university was undergoing a major shake-up in both the administration and athletic department.

Under Cole, however, the Tigers have quietly turned around their once-downtrodden football program.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7289335.html

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Good luck to the Texas Southern Tigers... this has been a great few years for the SWAC teams in Texas. PVAMU has completed a turnaround under HF3 and now the TSU bunch may be doing the same under J-Cole...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7289335.html

"Go Tigers, BEAT GRAMBLING"

-motto for hald of the teams of the SWAC xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Tied at 34, heading into overtime.

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
TSU wins, 41-34 in OT

Congrats Tigers!

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Texas Southern wins in OT on a Goalline stand 41-34.

TSUalum05
November 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
This game put me on an emotional roller coaster. We pulled it out but our QB threw 3 INT but our defense held strong.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Watched the end of the game from bed - sorry for not continuing to update on the other thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?78520-Grambling-at-Texas-Southern-Mirror-images-face-off-for-SWAC-West-title)...

Congrats TSU! Cole was very emotional after the game and the Tiger fans rushed Delmar Stadium's field (wonder if my HS alma mater ever did that?) as if the school just won the SWAC basketball tournament. TSU now has to take care of business against UAPB to get to Birmingham...

How does this TSU team rate as far as the national scene? They just beat Grambling, who was top 25 in some perspectives. I'll vote them top 25 next week - that's for sure. Guess all those moral victories a year or few ago helped point this team in the right direction. Wasn't that long ago TSU was scheduling three sub-Div I games.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Congrats TSU. .. .I missed a great game. Darn you Time Warner Cable!!!!

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Another article... amazing that the individual that ended up turning around the program did not get the job in his previous interview attempts. Hoping that the Cole story is repeated up I-45 by SHSU's Willie Fritz, who interviewed when we hired Whitten...

Good luck Tigers!

In the beginning, all he had to change was everything. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Before Johnnie Cole could do all these remarkable things with the football program at Texas Southern, he had to convince someone to hire him. Sometimes the first step is the hardest.

"I interviewed for the job three different times," he said. "I was really, really disappointed the second time I didn't get it."

He's telling me this story during a tour of the field house, the refurbished field house, the field house that's a metaphor for this story. He proudly shows off the new lockers and the expanded training room, the player lounge, all the rest.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7300164.html