PDA

View Full Version : Delaware @ UMass thread

umassfan
November 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Shocked this hasn't been started yet. Whats everyones xtwocentsx

MinuteFan
November 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Should be a great one, and I'll be there in the predicted 63 degree sunshine to enjoy it. On paper, Delaware is the better team, but I think UMass has a real chance. They need to play their best game.....10 penalties and 2 or 3 turnovers won't cut it. But if the game stays close, I like UMass late.
Earlier in the season, I would have said no shot for UMass, as the gap between defenses and QBs was too great. But the UMass defense has been decent, and Havens has been much better than last year. I still give Delaware the obvious advantage in both categories, but not as insumountable a gap as it once was. Add in the fact that UMass is at home and they need to win, where Delaware does not and I think it will be an intruguing match-up.

VUCats02
November 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Is this game being televised? I hope so.

NovaHater
November 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Is this game being televised? I hope so.

No, unless you want to pay on UMASS website

bluehenbillk
November 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I think it's televised locally so sites like channelsurfing should have it online for free.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
any UMASS game is hard to figure for me, I saw some of the Michigan game and was very impressed with Havens and Hernandez, your running game looks good and some nice skill at WR. I am confident Delaware will be able to move the ball against your D and look for Devlin to throw more often than earlier games. Our WR's have struggled some with dropped passes and Devlin throws a very catchable ball so that is a bit concerning for this Hen Fan. As good as our D is we dont have a real dominant player, but we do have 11 real good ones that play very well as a team. I guess the question is how will Havens respond to the best D (remember I know you played Mich) you have seen all year.

GannonFan
November 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
The game certainly favors UD - UD has the defense to be able to slow down UMass's offense, and the UMass defense has been able to be moved on by much lesser offenses than what Delaware is bringing up there. UD's going to be the best defense UMass has faced all year and if UD's able to take away the run game and put the game on Havens, that plays nicely into UD's hands. The key is stopping the run, and to UMass's credit, they have a great running game with a real active OL. UD's gotta put up at least 30 points, but on the bright side, they should be able to do that. Both JMU and Maine had a lot of success moving the ball against UMass so UD should have the same. If this game was in Newark it would be a double digit game for the Hens. Being in Amherst makes it harder, but I still think the Hens pull this out. And don't forget the Hens still have plenty to play for - they need to win out to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs so I don't see them playing soft. It's been a very well led team this year and they haven't let down yet.

Jackman
November 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
This will be a good game if UMass's pass defense steps up or Delaware's passing attack is a bit off. That's the mismatch. And we need to continue executing at a high level inside the 35 like we did the past 1.25 games and didn't do the preceding 4.75 games.

henfan
November 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
No disrespect intended to W&M because I think they are deserving of their #1 ranking right now; however, UMass may present the stiffest challenge that UD has faced to date. They have tons of talent and, when they put it together, are scary good. I don't like this game at all.xsmhx

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM
WHIFF NO TV LIKE-LEE.....SITTIN' BAH DUH FIRESIDE...RADIO....WILL BE AN EXCRUCIATIN' EVENT.......MINUTEMEN HAVE GREAT RB'S.....BUT ALAS....DON'T FO'GET...DUH WIDE-OUTS...AN' SNEAKY TIGHTEND...UH KING-KONG O-LINE.....&....HAVENS...PULLIN' STRINGS......CLOSER WE GET TA DUH BIG DANCE.....DUH PRESSURE MOUNTS.....EQUALLY.....HENS MAY HAVE TOUGHEST ROAD SKED IN I-AA LAND...UD HAD SLOW START AGIN' TOWSON...COOD O' BEEN RUST/BYE WEEK......MASS DEFENSE....WEAKEST LINK....HOWEVERAH..HOME FIELD AN' UH CRUCIAL STOP....WILL IGNITE...DUH MOE.....GOTTAH WATCH SPECIAL TEAMS.....AS DEY MIGHT PULL OUT DUH TRIX....REVERSES ON KICK-OFFS.....FAKE DIS & DAT....ON-SIDERAHS.....AH'M EXPECTIN'....UH BIZZARO....GAME PLAN.....DELAWARE'S OFFENSE.....NEEDS TA KEEP MASS'S O...ON DUH PINE.......GET UH COUPLE TO'S...MAY COME DOWN TA UH FG...WHERE WE'RE 1 FO' 2....IN GAME WINNERAHS.....xtwocentsx........BRAWK!!

umassfan
November 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'll say this... Everyone has stated that this will be the best D that UMass has faced but you forget that UMass has the best offense in the CAA. This will be by far the best offense that Delaware has faced this year. It will be interested to see if their stats live up to the hype. UMass is not easy to stop. You can try to stop the run and then Havens can kill you. Havens has the best stats for any CAA QB this season. Also UMass has 2 of the top running backs the CAA has to offer. Havens shouldnt be under too much pressure in the pocket because Delaware is worst in the CAA in sacks. If you give him time, he will find holes with our deep and talented WR core. Delaware will win this game two ways... Running the ball and keeping it out of our offenses hands by ball control and turnovers. Delaware is +13 in turnovers where UMass is -4. Key player of the game will be Tyler Holmes. If you control the game with running the ball, will you find Holmes and keep him from making key plays. He seems to step up in big games. Last week he returned 2 ints for TDs. Something only 22 players in all college football history have done. It hasnt been done since 04. Anyways Good luck and hope for a good game.

Go UMass!!!

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Umassfan - your post sounds just like what Delaware fans have been saying just with a slightly different spin .. but those words about Havens can work against you you know

umassfan
November 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Im not sure how they can work against me. If you look at Havens numbers from last year vs this year... he is a different type of player.
Kyle Havens......... 9 games 272 att 177 comp 5 ints 65.1 comp% 2091 yards 14 tds 143.0 eff %

I'm sorry but almost every FCS school would like those numbers.

soccerguy315
November 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
No disrespect intended to W&M because I think they are deserving of their #1 ranking right now; however, UMass may present the stiffest challenge that UD has faced to date. They have tons of talent and, when they put it together, are scary good. I don't like this game at all.xsmhx

the Tribe is well aware of how dangerous UMass can be, coming back from 9 points down in the 4th quarter to beat us, so definitely no disrespect!

bluehenbillk
November 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I'd imagine UD is more concerned about stopping the run versus the pass. Teams have had some success running against UD, not tons of it, but you can get some good possessions against UD until they adjust. Throwing the ball against UD's secondary plays into Delaware's strength. They're all seniors and 3 of them (Bratton, Walters & Grant) should get All-American honors, much less All-CAA honors. If I was UMass I'd try to utilize their RB's catching the ball, don't know how much they do that. UD is extremely balanced on O, either Devlin or Pierce are capable of carrying them. Interesting to think in a down offensive year league-wide that a FR RB could be the Offensive Conference POY.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Havens has the best stats for any CAA QB this season. Also UMass has 2 of the top running backs the CAA has to offer. Havens shouldnt be under too much pressure in the pocket because Delaware is worst in the CAA in sacks. If you give him time, he will find holes with our deep and talented WR core. Delaware will win this game two ways... Running the ball and keeping it out of our offenses hands by ball control and turnovers. Delaware is +13 in turnovers where UMass is -4. Key player of the game will be Tyler Holmes. If you control the game with running the ball, will you find Holmes and keep him from making key plays. He seems to step up in big games. Last week he returned 2 ints for TDs. Something only 22 players in all college football history have done. It hasnt been done since 04. Anyways Good luck and hope for a good game.

Go UMass!!!

Sacks are overrated- teams can get lots of pressure but not have sacks. Look at UD's pass efficiency defense - by far the best in the CAA. And that's with having the least number of sacks. UD doesn't get the sack a lot of time, but they don't give QB's a lot of time to sit in the pocket. Havens will have pressure a lot on Saturday - how he handles that pressure will play a big part in how the game plays out.

And UD's been very good protecting the ball. Pierce almost never fumbles and Devlin's only pick all year bounced off a helmet. I wouldn't expect that to all of a sudden change come Saturday.

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'll say this Havens can kill you

Those words? Are you referring UMass or Delaware?

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Can anyone comment on the quality of the live feed on the UMass website as this appears the only way to watch the game today, sigh

KAUMASS
November 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Feed is good and it is tied into the announcers...volume was a bit low coming off the video feed, had to turn my speakers way up to get ok volume...I went to the radio broadcast as an alternative and it was off by a second or two, so you can't do that option. Overall, not bad. I would rate it as a "7" out of 10. I'll be watching it on the computer today as well.. Good luck to both teams...

KAUMASS
November 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
If this game is close for the majority of the game, which I expect, I like UMass's chances. If UD jumps out quickly to more than 2 scores and we have a hard time containing their offense, it will be a tough day. If UMass takes the lead or hangs close the majority of the game with no ugly turnovers, I like UMass at home.

This game has all the ingredients for a classic. UD showed up and played well in every game so far this year and not had an "egg" laying game yet. UMass has already laid one very large egg against New Hampshire and a smaller one against UR.

So, the odds favor UD laying one and UMass not to. Every CAA team usually lays one every year, so hear is hoping UD does. I expect a great game from two very good teams.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Both teams have a good offense, but only one team has a good defense. UMass is giving up 21 per game, Delaware 8, if UD doesn't turn the ball over I doubt that UMass will be able to score enough to offset their very suspect defense.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think it could be a classic game. UD deserves to be favored. UD should win the football game. UMass has been unable to put it together consistently all season despite some flashes of excellent football. If Massachusetts finally gets itself fully on track - this could become one helluva a football game. Pulling the upset on the Hens today would be wonderful as I am currently on the injured reserve list and unable to attend the game in person. Upsets are what the CAA is all about and it would be fun to see the Minuteman shock the CAA this afternoon in Amherst.

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I think UD will win by 7 in a very physical contest.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
7-0 UD early.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
4th and 1 for UMass at the UD 21. And they get flagged for a Delay. Now 4th & 6 UMass going for it. FIRST DOWN !!!! Amazing conversion for a 14yd gain.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
After a nice 80yd UMass drive, UM just missed a chip shot FG - Violette's 2d missed FG of the game. UD 7-0...... xsmhx

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
UD fumbles, UMass Recovers on the UD 45, first play for UMass is a 45 Yd Flea Flicker Pass to Talley for the TD !

7-7 in Amherst.

UMass should be up 17-7.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
UD had first and goal but UMass made a stand and forced the FG. 10-7 UD. Good game. Both teams playing pretty well.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
UMass Misses another FG. UD takes over on downs and immediately throws an INT to Darren Thellen. UMass 4th & 6, bad snap, fumble, UD return its back to the UMass 30.....Disasterous. xnonono2x

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
UMass cannot win big games with zero special teams play. We now have to go for every 4th down instead of trying for fgs. This game should be 19-10 instead its 17-7 the other way. UGH

blukeys
November 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Umass mugs Nihja White on the interception. Refs totally blew an obvious pass interference.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Umass mugs Nihja White on the interception. Refs totally blew an obvious pass interference.

Not really sure what you saw...

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
UD makes UMass pay. Goes up 17-7. UMass gets a 65 yd run from Griffen for a first and goal. 4th and goal from the UD 5. .... UMASS converts.... Blanchflower makes a 1 handed catch for the TD !!!! Pretty amazing play. Violette makes the XP. 17-14 UD - this has been a WILD first Half to say the least.....Stupid out of bounds kickoff screws UMass just like against Richmond.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
UMass is moving the ball like crazy vs this number 1 D. Already scored 2 tds when they only gave up 8 all season. If it werent for special teams this would be a totally different game.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
UMass blitzes and gets beat by Pat Devlin. UD TD, XP good. 23-14.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
The blitzes have killed us on D. Their qb is too good and has a quick release where the blitz will not get there. Gave up two easy tds off the blitz on 3rd down plays. Why not show blitz and back up into coverage. May get another int that way.

UD1993
November 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Another Devlin TD pass. 31-14. Special teams killing UMass. Pooch kick plus a face mask started the Hens drive on the UMass 49.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
TD UMass Havens to Talley on 4th & Goal. XP good. 31-21 UD

UD1993
November 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
31-21. UMass score on 4th and 1 from the 5. Griffin busted another long run. 13 for 130 tds.

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
BS PI call against UMass bails UD out and then UD rips a 61 yd TD Run. XP good. 38-21 UD

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Delaware got bailed out by that non pass int... gave them a first down and then td off of it. Complete crap.

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
BS PI call against UMass bails UD out and then UD rips a 61 yd TD Run. 37-21 UD

The defender was nowhere near the ball and hit him early with his left arm...stoppppp it

UD1993
November 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Agreed on the penalty. Looked like a good play. Hayes looks healthy with 61 yd TD run.

turn1979
November 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
The defender clearly had his arm arounfd the waist of the UD player. That is pass int.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
The defender clearly had his arm arounfd the waist of the UD player. That is pass int.

They only call that when the defender turns the wr. its not pass int to have the arm on the guy. His arm in the front knocked the ball away with good timing. The call was complete bs. huge game turner.

Side Judge
November 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Game turner? Tough call, but UMass was down 10 at the time.

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
They only call that when the defender turns the wr. its not pass int to have the arm on the guy. His arm in the front knocked the ball away with good timing. The call was complete bs. huge game turner.

You are allowed to lean on the wr with the arm, NOT wrap the arm around the WR

And stop with this momentum whining - you guys haven't come remotely close to stopping UD yet and the one time you hold them changed the whole game? This is a 17 point game right now guys stop whining

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Game turner? Tough call, but UMass was down 10 at the time.
Down 10 getting the ball back moving the ball at will vs the Delaware D. = Game turner.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
You are allowed to lean on the wr with the arm, NOT wrap the arm around the WR

And stop with this momentum whining - you guys haven't come remotely close to stopping UD yet and the one time you hold them changed the whole game? This is a 17 point game right now guys stop whining
Wow if it happened to Delaware everyone one here would be the same for your team so stop.

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Wow if it happened to Delaware everyone one here would be the same for your team so stop.

If what happened? It was the right call - the Umass sideline reporter even said so after he watched the replay. Yes UMass has moved the ball but let's not act like UD hasn't done whatever they have wanted offensively

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
If what happened? It was the right call - the Umass sideline reporter even said so after he watched the replay. Yes UMass has moved the ball but let's not act like UD hasn't done whatever they have wanted offensively

The umass sideline reporter said it was close. He always said that you can have your arm like that but just cannot turn the wr which he didnt do.

CaliHen
November 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM
http://auditd0rk.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/whaaambulance.jpg

R3TRO
November 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Score & Time left?

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
http://auditd0rk.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/whaaambulance.jpg

That picture should be for KC "too cool" keeler as he *****es to the ref every single play.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
UMass hs a great offfense, too bad they are completely defenseless.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
UMass hs a great offfense, too bad they are completely defenseless.

With no special teams kicking game. They have a great return game with Nelson back there but cant kick off or get a snap right for a fg to save their lives right now.

But I will give Delaware credit... they are a great team and by far the best CAA has to offer this year.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
But I will give Delaware credit... they are a great team and by far the best CAA has to offer this year.

xbowx

nice post Umassfan

umassfan
November 14th, 2010, 07:18 AM
xbowx

nice post Umassfan

This was the first time I got to see your QB in full action. He impressed me much more then expected. Your OLine(even though not massive) play was the key to the win. Im not sure what W&M did to slow you down or if your offense was clicking even more so because they hate the word UMass, but it doesnt seem like an easy task. Hopefully your great freshman rb isnt too banged up because you will need him in the playoffs(is it true the kid was a walkon true freshman?) Good luck the rest of the way unless we play again in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Andrew Pierce was greyshirted - there was alot of talk about him on gohens after last years spring game, but he did kind of come out ot nowhere for the more casual fans, a nice find to say the least

UMASS kind of reminds me of those late 70's Sixer basketball teams, talent everywhere but that never guarentees a win

umassfan
November 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
UMASS kind of reminds me of those late 70's Sixer basketball teams, talent everywhere but that never guarentees a win

You can say the same bout the Miami Heat this year. A lot of skill but not a complete team. Our D has the Buchanan fav along with another 100 tackle Lber but very young DBs(point guard) and very young DLine(centers). Also a coach that may be way over its head in terms of poss.

When all said and done... UMass fans had no clue what to make of this team coming into the year. Just glad to have a shot with one game left to go.