PDA

View Full Version : Szczur to Return Against Delaware???

VUCats02
November 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/news/s54287

There has been a lot of speculation that Szczur has already played his last snap in a football uniform because of his injury - and he can take a 500,000 dollar bonus from the cubs if he does not return to football.

However, based on recent articles, it looks like he's trying to help 'Nova out down the stretch here. If Nova can get him back at even 80% the team would be significantly more dangerous in my opinion. I hope he will try to come back, but won't blame him at all if he decides not too. It sounds like he wants to try to return if at all possible, but it might not be the smartest choice for his career.

soccerguy315
November 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
IMO the only reason he should come back is if he is trying to go to the NFL and he's not really interested in MLB. That's not chump change money we're talking about that he could lose. I agree that with him back Nova becomes much more dangerous and it would be a big boost though, I just think the consequences could be severe.

Squealofthepig
November 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
As someone who lived ten years in Chicago (and watched him personally savage my beloved grizzlies in Chatty)... I severely hope Szczur plays football again so that he can play for a championship-caliber team again in his lifetime. Otherwise, hopefully he'll get traded to a team I can root for in MLB or the NFL. :)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 10th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Unless Szczur plays vs. UNH, I'm not worried about him for the Delaware game. As good as he may be, trying to knock off half a season's worth of dust from sitting out to jump back into the game means he won't be playing anywhere near his full ability.

VUCats02
November 10th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I think Szczur will be closer to his full ability than you would think. Nova and Szczur have been very conservative with the injury - it seems that 6+ weeks is a very long time for an ankle sprain. I don't think he will return kickoffs in his first game back - but I do think he will immediately make Nova a significantly better offensive threat. If he is committed to playing football again, it would be huge that he could play before the playoffs if Nova makes it.

Even if he isn't very relevant on the field against Delaware, Delaware will have to completely change their gameplan knowing that Szczur could be playing - and then if Szczur ends up not playing, Delaware would have still had to spend valuable time throughout the week preparing for him (and Nova's devastating wildcat formation which they barely use without Szczur).

TwoFeathers
November 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM
So does anyone have an idea of his status?

blukeys
November 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I think Szczur will be closer to his full ability than you would think. Nova and Szczur have been very conservative with the injury - it seems that 6+ weeks is a very long time for an ankle sprain.

It depends on the nature of the "sprain" (A grade 3 sprain can mean ligament tears of 3 separate ligaments) I have seen athletes out for 6 months with a grade 3 sprain. In some instances a broken ankle is the better choice. Szczur at 80% is probably better than most. But he would still be at 80%.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Even if he isn't very relevant on the field against Delaware, Delaware will have to completely change their gameplan knowing that Szczur could be playing - and then if Szczur ends up not playing, Delaware would have still had to spend valuable time throughout the week preparing for him (and Nova's devastating wildcat formation which they barely use without Szczur).

I think that is the only threat, and possibly why rumors of his return are being leaked. As it is, Szczur is a paper tiger, just the threat is enough to possibly give 'Nova an edge, even if in reality he won't add anything on the field.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I don't expect Szczur to play on Saturday after sitting through our weekly luncheon with Andy Talley today. Matt has had trouble with BOTH ankles and had a setback with one of them somewhere during the recovery process. It went out on him in practice at some point. He has been undergoing some interesting experimental treatments this week which may show some progress. I expected him to be back this week against UNH, but now I anticipate he will play against Delaware.

bluehenbillk
November 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Unless Szczur plays vs. UNH, I'm not worried about him for the Delaware game. As good as he may be, trying to knock off half a season's worth of dust from sitting out to jump back into the game means he won't be playing anywhere near his full ability.

Agreed - plus UD's defense isn't exactly an average unit. Best back 7 probably in all of FCS.

GannonFan
November 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I think Szczur will be closer to his full ability than you would think. Nova and Szczur have been very conservative with the injury - it seems that 6+ weeks is a very long time for an ankle sprain. I don't think he will return kickoffs in his first game back - but I do think he will immediately make Nova a significantly better offensive threat. If he is committed to playing football again, it would be huge that he could play before the playoffs if Nova makes it.

nova's offense isn't that different scheme-wise with Szczur than without it, it's just more effective (and namely more effective when Szczur is taking the direct snap out of the Wildcat). Szczur makes nova better, he doesn't completely restructure the offense. UD's gameplanning in terms of preparation aren't going to be impacted one way or the other. It just makes the job on Saturday potentially more difficult, assuming how ready Szczur is (and he doesn't sound like he's 100% anyway).

tribefan40
November 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have no read on this situation at all but I am curious, how much pressure is Szczur under from the Cubs not to return? It would sure make the end of the season and potentially the playoffs a little more interesting, but it would seem the cubbies would be a little more protcective of their investment? No idea, just curious if any of the Nova fans have heard anything.

blukeys
November 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I don't expect Szczur to play on Saturday after sitting through our weekly luncheon with Andy Talley today. Matt has had trouble with BOTH ankles and had a setback with one of them somewhere during the recovery process. It went out on him in practice at some point. He has been undergoing some interesting experimental treatments this week which may show some progress. I expected him to be back this week against UNH, but now I anticipate he will play against Delaware.

Not unusual Mr. C. With a bad injury to one leg athletes tend to compensate by having the other leg take up the load. This can cause an injury to the other ankle.

An ankle sprain is actually a tear of a ligament around the ankle and you can tear multiple ligaments. I have heard from numerous doctors "He/She would have been better off if they broke the ankle"

From what I have heard Szczur will not get to 100% this year. That being said Szcsur at 80% is probably better than most in FCS.

Philliesfan980
November 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
At this point, unless he shows a lot in the playoffs (if they even make it), does this guy even get drafted? If I were the Cubs, I'd be a little concerned. It seems like to me, he's absolutely hell-bent on playing football and will just settle on baseball for the money.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Article on philly.com today quoting Szczur that it'll be a game-time decision, he'll know Friday night/Saturday morning.

glsjunior
November 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
All hail Szczur!

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Article on philly.com today quoting Szczur that it'll be a game-time decision, he'll know Friday night/Saturday morning.

If it's a game-time decision, I find it hard to believe he's be able to perform at the nlevel necessary to be the difference in the game the 'Nova needs him to be.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Link: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20101118_Ailing_Szczur_wants_to_play_in_Villanova_ s_finale.html

NovaWildcat
November 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
If it's a game-time decision, I find it hard to believe he's be able to perform at the nlevel necessary to be the difference in the game the 'Nova needs him to be.

Pretty easy to forget how good this guy is. Unstoppable. Best player on the field, by far. If he's anywhere near that, Nova will take it. Of course - he should not play unless he's close to 100%.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Pretty easy to forget how good this guy is. Unstoppable. Best player on the field, by far. If he's anywhere near that, Nova will take it. Of course - he should not play unless he's close to 100%.

Believe me, I don't have to think back too far to remember how good he is. My point is that if it's a game-time decision, then he's not close to 100%. At 100%, he'd be a game-changer. If not, I don't think the Wildcats will be able to pull off the upset.

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Del is gonna rock the socks no matter what. Yeah I said it.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Szczur has been practicing this week. Game-time decision means, Matt Szczur will make the decision on Saturday as to whether he plays, or not. I think you will see No. 4 in the lineup on Saturday.

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
¡Marcorelle, bomaye!

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Believe me, I don't have to think back too far to remember how good he is. My point is that if it's a game-time decision, then he's not close to 100%. At 100%, he'd be a game-changer. If not, I don't think the Wildcats will be able to pull off the upset.

Unless they just don't want to show their hand (a la Laycock).

superman7515
November 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Unless they just don't want to show their hand (a la Laycock).

Really? Really? Hold on... Really?

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Szczur has been practicing this week. Game-time decision means, Matt Szczur will make the decision on Saturday as to whether he plays, or not. I think you will see No. 4 in the lineup on Saturday.

I heard the Cubs will have a rep at the game

Mr. C
November 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I heard the Cubs will have a rep at the game
The Cubs GM was there when Szczur got hurt against Penn.

Nebuta
November 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
¡Marcorelle, bomaye!

That dude is a beast. I think the CAA will rejoice when that man-child is no longer eligible.