PDA

View Full Version : Television

UNHWildCats
February 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Who controls the rights to Televison broadcasts... The NCAA, The Conference or the team?

DTSpider
February 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM
All of the above.

UNHWildCats
February 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
All of the above.

hmmm

so if a tv network wanted to televise a large number of IAA games who would they go through.

I know CBS has rights to SEC but other networks like ABC/ESPN televise an assortment of conferences.

So who would u have to go to to say televise A-10 games on a national network?

TheValleyRaider
February 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM
hmmm

so if a tv network wanted to televise a large number of IAA games who would they go through.

I know CBS has rights to SEC but other networks like ABC/ESPN televise an assortment of conferences.

So who would u have to go to to say televise A-10 games on a national network?

Well, ESPNU went to the SWAC and MEAC to get a whole bunch of their games televised. If the A-10 were to look for consistent national TV appearances (as opposed to their deal with CN8 or whatever deal they have with CSTV (although I'm betting that's through the NCAA)), the schools would have to band together and go to a network and work out a plan. I would guess this plan would supercede deals individual schools had with local stations, and might even push out Comcast, although that's just my :twocents:

DTSpider
February 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry UNH, I was think that you were trying to get footage from tapes to show and asking about who owned broadcast footage.

As for getting access. Those are all with the networks as I understand. Those networks can work with the NCAA, by conference or by individual school. For example let's look at the A10. The A10 has a contract with CN8 to show 10 games a year. In addition, A10 games are also picked up by CSN (Comcast Sports Net). The A10 also has signed a deal with ESPNU. I know in the Richmond area that a local channel will purchase the rights when a UR game is broadcast outside of the area. Now, the purchase price comes from the original carrier. So, if ESPN has first rights (like they do for the playoffs) than they set the price for the local stations to purchase it. Each local station can make its own desicion. Affiliates of major networks usually stick to the national market, but can change if wanted.

UNHWildCats
February 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Kool.

Ya in New Hampshire the ABC affilitate WMUR-9 broadcasts some UNH games, the were able to broadcast the UNI game which was great for those who couldnt get ESPNU.

Husky Alum
February 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Conceptually a school could have all of its games on TV if it wanted to go and buy the airtime. It could buy the time from a station, then try and sell ads itself to recoup production costs and the airtime costs. That's what the America East (UNH's basketball conference) does.

I'm not sure how the TV deal went for UNH when the local ABC affiliate picked up the UNI game. Did the school get any money from the station, or did the station do it without a fee and entered into a revenue sharing deal with UNH (like the NHL has with NBC).

The school theoretically at the 1-AA level has more control over its rights than a BCS school does. If the A-10 doesn't pick up a game, or a regional cable station doesn't, the school could go and try and put their games on TV on their own, I believe.

UNHWildCats
February 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Conceptually a school could have all of its games on TV if it wanted to go and buy the airtime. It could buy the time from a station, then try and sell ads itself to recoup production costs and the airtime costs. That's what the America East (UNH's basketball conference) does.

I'm not sure how the TV deal went for UNH when the local ABC affiliate picked up the UNI game. Did the school get any money from the station, or did the station do it without a fee and entered into a revenue sharing deal with UNH (like the NHL has with NBC).

The school theoretically at the 1-AA level has more control over its rights than a BCS school does. If the A-10 doesn't pick up a game, or a regional cable station doesn't, the school could go and try and put their games on TV on their own, I believe.

Not sure, but WMUR does usually broadcast the UNH/Dartmouth game every year and occasionally broadcasts other games, but UNH games on WMUR with the exception of the Dartmouth game aren't common sight since the 90's. My guess would be since WMUR is a ABC affiliate it prolly has some sort of agreement where it can pick up local teams that are broadcast on ESPN for minimal costs since ESPN and ABC are within the same company.