PDA

View Full Version : Who gets in out of the MVFC at large?

leatherneck177
November 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Assuming UNI wins the conference and Western beats SIU to finish at 7-4 and NDSU finishes at 7-4. NDSU has a nice win at Kansas and WIU won at NDSU.

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM
That's a tough one. Will the committee value the head to head or the FBS win more?

THE HERD
November 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I would assume they would take WIU since ya beat us head to head. Hopefully we can get two more wins, so it won't be an issue. If we finish at 8-3 with a FBS win under our belts, I would assume we would pretty much be a playoff lock. However those two wins will definitely be tough to get....time will tell.

THE HERD
November 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Although the committee might be swayed a little towards NDSU with the FBS win coupled with the fact that we would bring in many more dollars if we had a home playoff game, as compared to WIU. I would hope the committee wouldn't be swayed by cash too much. In my opinion the head to head should trump that other stuff, but hopefully it doesn't come down to that.xprayx

FargoBison
November 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
WIU over NDSU but maybe both would get in.

unigriff
November 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
If NDSU got in...they would be out so fast it woulda been like they were never in the Playoffs. WIU has a much better probability I would put my money on to advance in the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Valley Football
Team Conf All Final(projected)
Northern Iowa 5-1 6-3 7-1 8-3
Western Illinois 4-2 6-3 5-3 7-4
South Dakota State 4-3 4-5 5-3 6-5
Illinois State 4-4 5-5 4-4 6-5
North Dakota State 3-3 6-3 4-4 7-4
Indiana State 3-3 5-4 5-3 5*-4
Missouri State 3-3 4-5 3-5 4-7
Southern Illinois 2-4 3-6 2-6 3-8
Youngstown State 1-6 3-7 1-7 3-8

If Valley football ends as I'm projected here, which would give NDSU/WIU identical 7-4 records, then UNI makes play-offs, only one from Valley.

WIU/SDSU/In St 3 way tie for second, and the three round-robin on each other.

NDSU/Il St tie at 4-4 for 5th. Il St won the head to head, so Bison 6th. Should be no way that a 6th place Valley team makes the play-offs.

About the only scenerio that gets the maximum Valley teams into the play-offs is:

WIU 6-2 8-3 AQ - Requires WIU to beat UNI and SIU - losses to SDSU/Mo St.
UNI 6-2 7-4 Tied for 1st, lost h2h for 2nd. Loss the IA St (FBS), SFA (Southland champ), to SIU & WIU = In
NDSU 5-3 8-3 Losses to MVFC champs, & Il St, wins over ranked USD & FBS Kansas highlights = In

If WIU or NDSU lose, they're out. xtwocentsx

FargoBison
November 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
38 teams can still get 7 DI wins, 20 make the playoff field, a few 7 win teams will be in the field. There could be a giant mess for the committee to sort out.

Sycamore51
November 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think the real question here is, where would Kansas place in the MVFC this year? Would they get a bid, because I think they would finish no better than 6-2 in our league.

Gil Dobie
November 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
NDSU loses all ties, UNI 7-4 or WIU 7-4 due to head-to-head results.

UNI 7-3 vs FCS
WIU 7-3 vs FCS
NDSU 6-4 vs FCS

LeeshaJo
November 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
NDSU loses all ties, UNI 7-4 or WIU 7-4 due to head-to-head results.

UNI 7-3 vs FCS
WIU 7-3 vs FCS
NDSU 6-4 vs FCS

here is a snarky, yet serious question for you... Other than NDSU fans... as a MVFC team fan would you rather see a 1 bid MVFC or a two-bid with NDSU in the playoffs...

I am struggling with this because, two bids is so much better for the league, BUT, it is NDSU... grrr....

LeeshaJo
November 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
here is a snarky, yet serious question for you... Other than NDSU fans... as a MVFC team fan would you rather see a 1 bid MVFC or a two-bid with NDSU in the playoffs...

I am struggling with this because, two bids is so much better for the league, BUT, it is NDSU... grrr....

actually, I know I would pull for the Bison if they are in... I wouldn't cheer for them, but would rather see them succeed than fail... that sucks to type btw.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Also, how much weight does the committee give to league GPI when it comes to trying to differentiate a 7-4 win team between the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, and SOCON? Currently the MVFC is 2nd in the country in league GPI behind the CAA. I've got to think that will help a 7-4 NDSU/UNI/WIU team get an at large if the only lock is the team that got the autobid.

Gil Dobie
November 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM

I'd like to see 3, WIU autobid, 7-4 UNI & 8-3 NDSU, not sure this will happen though, still games to play.

MSUDuo
November 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
UNI will get the at-large because Missouri State will win the conference...

Hey, one can dream right?

jacksfan29
November 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM

I would like to see three get in WIU, UNI, NDSU but it won't happen. You can argue it should since I'm of the opinion that no at large births should go to any conference outside of the Big 4 determined by GPI (CAA, MVFC, BSC, Southern) with the exception of the Great West if a team like Poly steps up and possibly the Southland.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
UNI will win the conference and NDSU will get the at-large bid from the MV.

WIU, IMO, will lose their last 2 games to finish 6-5.

My 2$

LakesBison
November 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Kansas beat #15 georgia tech, and then last week, poured in 35 straight points vs colorado. they are up and down and young, they would destroy the MVFC.