PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Releases Summary of Feasibility Study

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Please note - this was not just a review of a move to the Football Bowl Subdivision, but an overall assessment of the SHSU athletic department, where it stands and how it can improve.

Related Links:
Feasibility Study Executive Summary (http://www.gobearkats.com//pdf8/721637.pdf)
View from the Corner Office (http://www.gobearkats.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205027157) (SHSU ADs' Column)
SHSU Begins Checking out FBS Move (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?65483-SHSU-Begins-Checking-out-FBS-Move/) (AGS Thread)

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Tried my best to sum it up...

Note: SHSU student-athletic fee revenue is supposed to rise from $3.2M in 2010-11 TO $5.8M in 2011-12. Budget will rise from $8.1M to $10.7M - based on student-athletic fee increase alone in 11-12. Does not count any other factors.

Highlights
* SHSU athletic budget of $8.1M ranks 10 percent below SLC average
* SHSU athletic budget ranks 36 percent below conference-high of 12.7
* SHSU staffing is above average overall, but below conference average in academics/complinace; media relations; athletic training; external development
* SHSU coaching salaries are 12 percent above conference average - though SHSU has two more sports and several sports utilizing grad assistants while others use full-time
* SHSU salaries are at/above average SLC salary except WBB
* SHSU operating budgets are below the SLC average in 15 of 17 sports - exceptions men's hoops and football.

FBS-related
* SHSU's five-year averange attendance over five years is 8,762
* Bowers Stadium would have to be expanded
* SHSU sport comparison with C-USA shows SHSU above average
* SHSU in line with C-USA as it relats to enrollment, gender ratio and tuition, fees.
* Avg C-USA budget is 70% higher than SHSU's current. Sun Belt average is 26% higher.
* SHSU budget would need to be $13.2M to compete in Sun Belt, $5.1M higher than 2009-10 budget
* Less than 50% of respondents felt SHSU should move to FBS, 36% stated no opinion either way
* Respondents preferred C-USA with just 20% supporting Sun Belt

msusig
November 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
The two things from your summary that jump out at me are:
"Less than 50% of respondents felt SHSU should move to FBS, 36% stated no opinion either way"
"SHSU's five-year averange attendance over five years is 8,762"

msusig
November 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
These FBS conference expansions won't end until all the conferences have 12 teams and a conference championship game. The only thing that will stop it will be a playoff system or the NCAA reduces the requirement for a conference championship to 10 teams instead of 12.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
The fans, alumni and students get it...

Unless we have the resources to compete at that level, why should we? I'm still under the impression that the only way we move up is if the Southland crumbles (forcing our hand to make the move) or we have the time necessary to get our house in order (and there's no telling how long - if ever - that would take)...

In my honest opinion, TXST and UTSA has the money to make the move - but they do not have the full compliment of things in place to make them competitive at the FBS level. Most would agree, I'd presume...

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Also interesting is that Season Tix Holders, as a group, were the most concerned about a move up. IMHO, wouldn't that normally be your most supportive if made sense to move?

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Also interesting is that Season Tix Holders, as a group, were the most concerned about a move up. IMHO, wouldn't that normally be your most supportive if made sense to move?

They are the die hards that get it though... and they get that we are not ready.

Our fan base is not tripping over itself to go FBS and fall flat on our face! We want to compete with the Houstons, Arkansas States, Louisiana Techs of the world - but why try to do it if we can not afford to? Or have the fan base to do so?

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I had no Idea that SHU was operating a budget that is on the level of the SWAC & MEAC.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
In my honest opinion, TXST and UTSA has the money to make the move - but they do not have the full compliment of things in place to make them competitive at the FBS level. Most would agree, I'd presume...

TXST might, but UTSA most certainly does not. They don't even technically have a team yet, and they're thinking about becoming a WAC team in two years with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
TXST might, but UTSA most certainly does not. They don't even technically have a team yet, and they're thinking about becoming a WAC team in two years with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

I am sure the UTSA roster will be peppered with Jr and Sr Juco and other transfers to try and balance the team.

Sounds like the FCS Alumni fans from north of Houston have a lot more common sense (or grip on reality) than those on I-35 south of Austin. xnodx

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I had no Idea that SHU was operating a budget that is on the level of the SWAC & MEAC.

Our budget will be at least $10.7M in 11-12. Of SWAC schools, that's above all of them. Texas Southern will be (or is) operating at about $10M, the 'leader of the pack' in the SWAC. Most of the other SWAC budgets range from $3.3M at Valley to about $6.7M. SHSU is in the clear of that by about $1.5M (if not more this year) with continued increases next year...

The MEAC budgets are a little higher due to the 'cost of doing business' on the east coast.

UTSA's student-athletic fee will give them the budget necessary. Like TXST, they do have the enrollment. The WAC in two years thing is ridiculous. They would be better waiting another year and have since, turned a lot of focus to JUCO players to speed up the timeline.

Sounds like the FCS Alumni fans from north of Houston have a lot more common sense (or grip on reality) than those on I-35 south of Austin. xnodx

All starts with quality of degree! Oh wait, those bumpkins were the ones dogging the remainder of the SLC for lower academic standards. ;)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
We want to compete with the Houstons, Arkansas States, Louisiana Techs of the world - but why try to do it if we can not afford to? Or have the fan base to do so?

I hope that was sarcasm... Why would you set your sights so low for a FBS move? Being competitive with Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas should be the dream, not competing with second and third tier FBS programs.

DG Cowboy
November 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Finding an extra 5.1 million annually is daunting to say the least. Sounds like the study was well done, and that there are many voices of reason in moving Sam forward. I would hate for the SLC to lose them.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Finding an extra 5.1 million annually is daunting to say the least. Sounds like the study was well done, and that there are many voices of reason in moving Sam forward. I would hate for the SLC to lose them.

I do not think you have to worry about SHSU leaving the SLC - unless our hands are forced to do so. We're in no rush unless Lamar or SFA plans to jump OR tons of money just falls in our lap. And an extra $5.1M annually could easily come to the athletic department via continued enrollment increases and another fee increase (which the students approved handily last time). Throw in an endowment campaign, FBS guarantee games (easily $1.5-2M) and you could get there...

DG Cowboy
November 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
"FBS guarantee games (easily $1.5-2M) and you could get there..." TT

McNeese gets $325-400 M a game. Where will you get $1.5-2 M per year, unless you are playing 3-4 BCS guarantee games a year? I can promise you that SBC teams don't pay $300-400 M per game. I doubt CUSA teams do either.

The students who will vote for the new increase are apparently not the same ones included in the "apathy toward football and men's basketball" quote? I think you're very optimistic, but if it all works out, I'm happy for Sam.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
McNeese gets $325-400 M a game. Where will you get $1.5-2 M per year, unless you are playing 3-4 BCS guarantee games a year? I can promise you that SBC teams don't pay $300-400 M per game. I doubt CUSA teams do either.

If you go FBS - you can get $1.5-2M by playing two guarantee games. Most of the BCS conference schools are paying $700k-$1M. I believe North Texas is getting $900k from Georgia, Texas paid ULM $900k. If you are going FBS, you can factor those in as annual fees, just like the Sun Belt schools who play 2 or 3 BCS guarantee games annually do...

The students who will vote for the new increase are apparently not the same ones included in the "apathy toward football and men's basketball" quote? I think you're very optimistic, but if it all works out, I'm happy for Sam.

I have seen two student fee increases for athletics pass in the last seven years. It can and has worked in the past.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Came across this on the RaginPagin board - guessing OPED updated their info...

Sunbelt Athletic Budgets

Updated Budgets/Athletic Expenses
The Equity in Athletics website has been updated. Budgets/expenses are for the period of July 1,2009- June 30,2010.

FOOTBALL SCHOOLS ONLY
$23,243,348 Western Kentucky
$21,270,045 Florida International
$19,098,901 Middle Tennessee
$16,643,811 North Texas
$15,200,584 Troy
$14,407,656 Florida Atlantic
$12,875,018 South Alabama
$12,357,619 Louisiana-Lafayette
$11,433,185 Arkansas State
$8,320,207 Louisiana-Monroe

Amount spent on football:

Middle Tennessee $6,638,007
FIU $5,973,113
WKU $5,768,244
Troy $5,029,312
FAU $4,610,870
North Texas $4,315,701
ULL $4,210,176
Ark State $3,760,642
ULM $2,982,373

centexguy
November 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Here's the 2009-2010 budgets (expenses) for most of the Southland Conference schools (in millions):

Texas State $14.1 (2008-2009 expenses)
UTSA $13.0 (no football)
SFA $12.1
Lamar $10.0 (no football)
SLU 9.6 (2008-2009 expenses)
SHSU 9.2
NW State 8.6
UCA 8.0
UTA 7.6
TAMU-CC 7.0
McNeese 6.9
Nicholls 6.2

Texas State's revenues were over $20 million thanks to their student fees so they could spend a lot more if they wanted to. Lamar's budget increased by $2 million thanks to new student fees to support football.

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
How much is Lamar's budget going to be in 11-12? Already stated SHSU's will be at least $10.7 that year... any other schools with feel increases?

I'm not sure the SLU number is accurate, but wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

centexguy
November 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM
How much is Lamar's budget going to be in 11-12? Already stated SHSU's will be at least $10.7 that year... any other schools with feel increases?

I'm not sure the SLU number is accurate, but wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

I'm guessing Lamar's budget will jump up to the $12+ million range. I was also surprised that SLU's budget was that high, and a little surprised that McNeese doesn't have a larger budget.

Does SFA charge a lot in student fees to support their $12 million budget?

TexasTerror
November 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'm guessing Lamar's budget will jump up to the $12+ million range. I was also surprised that SLU's budget was that high, and a little surprised that McNeese doesn't have a larger budget.

I want to say we tossed around some discussion on another thread about SLU's budget...

Does SFA charge a lot in student fees to support their $12 million budget?

Must... their enrollment is pretty solid and they must put the burden on the students.

houtexan
November 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Here's the 2009-2010 budgets (expenses) for most of the Southland Conference schools (in millions):

Texas State $14.1 (2008-2009 expenses)
UTSA $13.0 (no football)
SFA $12.1
Lamar $10.0 (no football)
SLU 9.6 (2008-2009 expenses)
SHSU 9.2
NW State 8.6
UCA 8.0
UTA 7.6
TAMU-CC 7.0
McNeese 6.9
Nicholls 6.2

Texas State's revenues were over $20 million thanks to their student fees so they could spend a lot more if they wanted to. Lamar's budget increased by $2 million thanks to new student fees to support football.
Not sure where these numbers came from? FY10 LU Budget for Athletics (Expense side adopted) was $8.1M for FY11 it is $9.8M (+$1.7M year over year). http://dept.lamar.edu/finance/Operating_Budget_FY11.pdf

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
The above numbers from OPE were submitted by the university - it's their duty to collect these numbers annually as it relates to Title IX, etc.