PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll- Nov 8

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Delaware Becomes No. 1

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Delaware Blue Hens have become the fourth different team to claim the No. 1 ranking in the 2010 Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll. After a weekend that saw the top three teams suffer losses, Delaware received 19 first-place votes and 689 total points to take the top spot in the voting.

The Blues Hens take over for Appalachian State which held the top spot for eight straight weeks. Delaware improved to 8-1 overall with a 48-0 shutout of Towson over the weekend. The Blues Hens capitalized on both a great offensive and defensive effort to blank the Tigers on Saturday. Delaware racked up 589 yards of total offense while the defense only gave up just eight first downs the entire game. Delaware was led by quarterback Pat Devlin, who completed 29 of 38 passes for 318 yards and one touchdown while he also rushed for another score. The Blue Hens defense, which has not allowed more than 17 points in a game all season, remained stingy as they only gave up 158 total yards and posted its first shutout since the 2009 season opener.

William & Mary received seven first-place votes and 660 total points to move up three spots this week to No. 2. The Tribe posted a 13-3 road win against then-No. 8 New Hampshire to improve to 7-2 overall in the 2010 campaign. The Tribe held New Hampshire’s rushing attack to just 39 yards on 31 attempts on the day to snap Wildcats school-record 12-game winning streak.

Appalachian State dropped two spots to No. 3 this week after suffering a 21-14 overtime loss at Georgia Southern. The Mountaineers received 604 total points to finish just ahead of Wofford in the rankings, which received 601 total points. The Terriers also received two-first place votes this week after defeating Samford 10-3. Wofford travels to Appalachian State this weekend for a top five matchup that will determine the postseason automatic qualifier for the Southern Conference.

Eastern Washington moves up a spot to round out the top five.

Jacksonville State dropped to No. 6 this week after suffering its first loss of the season to Eastern Kentucky, 49-37. Stephen F. Austin and Southeast Missouri State are No. 7 and 8, respectively, this week, while Villanova drops six spots to No. 9 after falling to Rhode Island 17-14. Montana State completes the top 10.

Robert Morris makes its debut this season’s ranking at No. 25 and is the only team new to this week’s poll, while James Madison drops out of the poll for the first time this year.

There are thirteen conferences that are represented in this week’s poll. The Colonial Athletic Association leads the way with sex ranked teams, while the Big Sky and Missouri Valley Conferences each have three representatives. The Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley and Southern Conferences have two teams each, and the Ivy and Pioneer League, and the Big South, Great West, Northeast, Southland and the Southwest Athletic Conferences each have one team in this week’s poll.

FCS Coaches Poll is based exclusively on a voting panel of head coaches in the FCS under the cooperation of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and is administered by the Southern Conference.

2010 FCS Coaches Week 10 Poll (November 8, 2010)

Team (No. 1 Votes) Record Points Last Week
1. Delaware (19) 8-1 689 4
2. William & Mary (7) 7-2 660 5
3. Appalachian State 8-1 604 1
4. Wofford (2) 8-1 601 7
5. Eastern Washington 7-2 585 6
6. Jacksonville State 8-1 557 2
7. Stephen F. Austin 7-2 507 9
8. Southeast Missouri State 9-1 497 10
9. Villanova 6-3 474 3
10. Montana State 8-2 460 11
11. Liberty 9-0 408 12
12. Bethune-Cookman 6-3 396 13
13. Massachusetts 7-2 321 15
14. South Carolina State 5-4 318 14
15. New Hampshire 6-3 299 8
16. Northern Iowa 6-3 286 17
17. Montana 7-3 272 16
18. Cal Poly 7-3 214 18
19. Penn 7-1 208 19
20. North Dakota State 6-3 167 20
21. Western Illinois 6-3 136 21
22. Grambling State 8-1 124 24
23. Richmond 5-4 94 22
24. Jacksonville 9-1 41 25
25. Robert Morris 8-1 39 NR

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Lehigh (36), Georgia Southern (16), Dayton (15), Harvard (15), Southern Utah (13), Weber State (11), Sacramento State (10), James Madison (8), Northwestern State (7), McNeese State (5), Central Arkansas (2), Florida A&M (2), Northern Arizona (2), Furman (1)

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Dang shame Ga. Southern couldn't creep into either of these polls.

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Two other 5-4 schools in the poll but Beating "#1" does not matter

Dblue
November 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
South Carolina State is 7 - 2, not 5 - 4.

TribeAdvocate
November 8th, 2010, 12:52 PM
This sucks!!! How the hell are we number two in this stupid poll? I mean we beat then-#1 Villanova, followed by now #1- Delaware, followed by BARELY losing at UNC-CHeat with a skeleton crew from injuries, followed by then-#8 UNH. Apparently winning doesn't mean crap.

Fear the Bird
November 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
This sucks!!! How the hell are we number two in this stupid poll? I mean we beat then-#1 Villanova, followed by now #1- Delaware, followed by BARELY losing at UNC-CHeat with a skeleton crew from injuries, followed by then-#8 UNH. Apparently winning doesn't mean crap.

Where are all of these brand new W&M fan members coming from that do nothing but whine?

HensRock
November 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM

I don't know how they get S.C. State at 5-4. Their record is 7-2 !!!

Edge316007
November 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Shocking, more people who watch these teams closely for a living also picked App over Wofford (though again it's very close). But maybe I'm just being a homer.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Delaware Becomes No. 1

SPARTANBURG, S.C. –

There are thirteen conferences that are represented in this week’s poll. The Colonial Athletic Association leads the way with sex ranked teams)

Bow chicka wow-wow.

profisme
November 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Montana is 6-3 not 7-3. I am betting they will beat UND this weekend, but even so, they have only played 9 games to date.

Tribe4SF
November 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Just as with the TSN poll, UNH is now behind UMass who they dominated just two weeks ago.

MacThor
November 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Where are all of these brand new W&M fan members coming from that do nothing but whine?

+1000

Nebuta
November 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
UD #1 I dont know about that. Maybe the voters think an injuried plagued W&M would lose if they had the rematch today seeing how they won by 1 pt at home.
Thats a tough one but I could see the logic tho. I still have W&M #1 UD#2 Wofford #3 ASU #4. Followed by you fill in the rest and put your favorite team where you want...

TribeAdvocate
November 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
MacThor and Fear the Bird-

I was actually already a member but under a Charlotte screen name. When I started law school here at W&M I changed it. The fact that we are ranked behind a team we just beat, however, is ludicrous, especially when you consider the Sagarin Strength of Schedule ratings and you see that Delaware's SOS (156) is much lower than W&M (106). Couple the fact that we've played a tougher schedule with the fact that we won head-to-head and I'm not sure how you can justify putting the Tribe at Number 2. Thanks to your well-thought-out contributions, however, it now makes complete sense.

MacThor
November 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
TA, it's not just you - ever since the 2008 season the most consistently "Whine & Moan" fanbase has got to be the Tribe's, hands down. Never, ever satisfied with their ranking it seems, unless it is a unanimous #1.

W&M has made a believer out of me. See you in two weeks!

Squealofthepig
November 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
MacThor and Fear the Bird weren't disagreeing on where W&M is ranked; just commenting on the whininess of some posters. Which, by the way...

W&M probably should be ranked ahead. Beat JMU and Richmond and you'll be either the one or two seed, and there's really not much difference between the two.

Fear the Bird
November 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I was actually already a member but under a Charlotte screen name. When I started law school here at W&M I changed it. The fact that we are ranked behind a team we just beat, however, is ludicrous, especially when you consider the Sagarin Strength of Schedule ratings and you see that Delaware's SOS (156) is much lower than W&M (106). Couple the fact that we've played a tougher schedule with the fact that we won head-to-head and I'm not sure how you can justify putting the Tribe at Number 2. Thanks to your well-thought-out contributions, however, it now makes complete sense.

I have W&M at #1

GannonFan
November 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM

You know, it's not outside the realm of imagination that coaches, who don't really have the time to look at much, can look at UD and W&M and see one with a better overall record and placing them #1. I wouldn't agree with it, but it is one way of looking at it.

TribeAdvocate
November 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
TA, it's not just you - ever since the 2008 season the most consistently "Whine & Moan" fanbase has got to be the Tribe's, hands down. Never, ever satisfied with their ranking it seems, unless it is a unanimous #1.

W&M has made a believer out of me. See you in two weeks!

Fair enough- overly sensitive from classes this morning, my apologies. I have to admit I am really just begging to win one of the final two since we have no clue what our injury situation looks like. It may be we try the apoproach Navy went for last weekend against ECU and just run it (and if we get 521 rushing yards like they did then we'll be good), but I don't think this is a strategy to win. Especially so since Grimes may be still a little gimpy.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Who edits these polls? Who ever does needs to be reprimanded at least for all of these errors.

Nebuta
November 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Who edits these polls? Who ever does needs to be reprimanded at least for all of these errors.

My favorite is:

The Colonial Athletic Association leads the way with sex ranked teams.

I know the CAA has alot of party schools but seriously??

tribefan40
November 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM

+1. I feel like there's only been a couple of us consistantly posting up until now. As to the poll, that's exactly how I expected it to fall, and being #1/#2 is just fine with me. xhurrayx

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I personally would have W&M at #1 but any of the top 5 have a case for number 1. Just getting a seed for the tourney is the key and doesn't matter if it's a 1 or 2. This does set the App vs Wofford game as a Top 5 match-up which will be fun and interesting.

wmmii
November 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
There are many key games left and most of the top 9 will take another loss in the next two weeks. Too many teams are playing each other to predict the final outcome 11/21 and rankings. ASU gets atleast one loss to either Wofford or FL and we know afterthe Tribe almost beat UNC that you get no credit for play up and lossing!
It will be tough for Deleware and Villanova to run the table. My guess is that UNH gets a must win at Nova, and then Nova must beat the Blue Hens away to get to the playoffs. Richmond will have their backs up against the wall tand need to beat the Tribe to make the playoffs. if all this happens then my guess the CAA pulls out 6 teams of 20 that make the playoffs with

Deleware 9-2
W&M 8-3
Nova 7-4
UMass 7-4
Richmond 7-4
UNH 7-4

Look at the computer ranksings and you have 4 CAA in th top 10 and 7 in the top 25!

My hope is th Tribe can hold out their quarterbacks until the playoffs and depend on the defense to squeeze out both victories and hold down a top 1 or 2 seed and home field which will knock out Richmond.

it is nice after over 100 years of Tribe Football to see a #1 this week!!

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM
There are many key games left and most of the top 9 will take another loss in the next two weeks. Too many teams are playing each other to predict the final outcome 11/21 and rankings. ASU gets atleast one loss to either Wofford or FL and we know afterthe Tribe almost beat UNC that you get no credit for play up and lossing!
It will be tough for Deleware and Villanova to run the table. My guess is that UNH gets a must win at Nova, and then Nova must beat the Blue Hens away to get to the playoffs. Richmond will have their backs up against the wall tand need to beat the Tribe to make the playoffs. if all this happens then my guess the CAA pulls out 6 teams of 20 that make the playoffs with

Deleware 9-2
W&M 8-3
Nova 7-4
UMass 7-4
Richmond 7-4
UNH 7-4

Look at the computer ranksings and you have 4 CAA in th top 10 and 7 in the top 25!

My hope is th Tribe can hold out their quarterbacks until the playoffs and depend on the defense to squeeze out both victories and hold down a top 1 or 2 seed and home field which will knock out Richmond.

it is nice after over 100 years of Tribe Football to see a #1 this week!!

And those ratings with JMU should be thrown out of the discussion.

What a shame how JMU is "eatin'" off the success of the better teams in the CAA.

mikebigg
November 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Dang shame Ga. Southern couldn't creep into either of these polls.

And (a dang shame) that App State lost to a 5-4 team and only dropped two spots!