PDA

View Full Version : Does an 11-0 Bethune Cookman get a seed?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The other playoff thread opens up this interesting question.

NOTE: There are FIVE seeds, NOT four, which I think makes this especially interesting. Let's say two CAA teams, Appalachian State, and a Big Sky team are seeds 1-4. I don't think there's an obvious fifth seed to put out there.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't know that they are a top 5 team, but Hampton was seeded, I believe in 2005?

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
From an Automatic Bid Playoff conference... seed 'em at #5.

Hampton's #2 seed in 2005, followed by a 38-10 beatdown by At- Large Bid Richmond @ Hampton's Armstrong Stadium, is still fresh in my mind.

I rather have Bethune- Cookman be a low seed #5 at 11-0, and the MEAC still get two teams into the playoffs this year with South Carolina State (9-2, 7-1 MEAC) gaining our At- Large bid, than Bethune- Cookman being awarded with a high #2 seed, but South Carolina State being left out of the playoff mix.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
The question is, if B-C got a seed and then gets beat like Richmond did, does the MEAC use this to push the Legacy Bowl?

CAAisBOSS
November 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
From an Automatic Bid Playoff conference... seed 'em at #5.

Hampton's #2 seed in 2005, followed by a 38-10 beatdown by At- Large Bid Richmond @ Hampton's Armstrong Stadium, is still fresh in my mind.

I rather have Bethune- Cookman be a low seed #5 at 11-0, and the MEAC still get two teams into the playoffs this year with South Carolina State (9-2, 7-1 MEAC) gaining our At- Large bid, than Bethune- Cookman being awarded with a high #2 seed, but South Carolina State being left out of the playoff mix.

top 5 seeds go to the best five teams... does anyone think they are one of the top 5? regardless of record?

Dane96
November 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Exactly; I am sorry, Bethune is NOT one of the Top 5 teams in the country...at least based on what they have done or who they have played.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
The question is, if B-C got a seed and then gets beat like Richmond did, does the MEAC use this to push the Legacy Bowl?

Fiances, PERIOD, will dictate to the presidents in the MEAC whether or not they will vote for a Legacy Bowl.

B-CU's or SCSU's success or failure in this playoff go-a-round are merely superficial.

SN: If B-CU host's a game on Dec. 4th, they will have a GREAT turnout.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I think the better question is does SEMO deserve a seed, if they beat Jax. State?

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
If a MEAC team, whether SC State or Bethune- Cookman, wins the FCS National Title this year or comes close, the Meac without a doubt will stay in the FCS Playoffs. The Ego of the Presidents... lol!

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I think they have a chance to be #5. But it's highly unlikely. It's kind of unfair that they'll probably be matched with Georgia Southern and lose the chance to host though.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
If a MEAC team, whether SC State or Bethune- Cookman, wins the FCS National Title this year or comes close, the Meac without a doubt will stay in the FCS Playoffs.

Yeah.

Go ahead and think that...

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Exactly; I am sorry, Bethune is NOT one of the Top 5 teams in the country...at least based on what they have done or who they have played.

The only way to prove it, is on the field, and on paper, they have the FCS' top ranked offense...

Punchykky
November 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
BCU's out of conference schedule concerns me. It's gonna be a factor when the playoff teams are scheduled. Without a doubt.

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
If you're seeded... you host. Seeded teams automatically get home games.

That's what this topic is really asking... "Who wants to go to Bethune- Cookman and play a playoff contest???"

Folks witnessed that home blackout contest, 67-17 over A&T, and are alittle weary of the Wildcats.

I think the Florida Classic on ESPN Classic in two weeks, will really cement Bethune- cookman's place as a seed.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM

That's what this topic is really asking... "Who wants to go to Bethune- Cookman and play a playoff contest???"

Folks witnessed that home blackout contest, 67-17 over A&T, and are alittle weary of the Wildcats.

I think the Florida Classic on ESPN Classic in two weeks, will really cement Bethune- cookman's place as a seed.

It's true, we're worried they can't keep the power on. :)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Fiances, PERIOD, will dictate to the presidents in the MEAC whether or not they will vote for a Legacy Bowl.

Which of the MEAC presidents are engaged? And why are they letting their women call the shots on this?

Humble Steward
November 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I think we might have a chance at a #5 seed, but I really hate to speculate about the playoffs right now. We still need to win the MEAC first. I would like to see our offense get everything clicking again. We have been a little out of sync lately and need to be well polished to finish out the season.

Good Luck to everyone on the rest of the season. This could get very interesting.

Let's Go Wildcats, 9-0 and two to go.

Next up: Howard

ODUsmitty
November 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Bethune-Cookman struggled @ Hampton a week after we beat them by 2 scores (and led by more most of the game)@Hampton.

If ODU fans can rationally think (and rightly so) that 8-3 ODU does not belong in the playoffs, then it is easy to argue that Bethune-Cookman has no business garnering a seed, either.

Face it, the MEAC is the lowest-rated 1-AA conference, even below independents, and are adding a 0-9 Savannah State squad next year. How they get an auto-bid is beyond me; and discussion of seeding their champion may make some feel good and noble about themselves, but their product is inferior and deserves no consideration above that received by other conferences.

You put Jacksonville against B-C, I'd bet the mortage on JU.........and JU is currently on the outside looking in, and you guys are talking about a seed for B-C??? Crazy.

SalukiJim
November 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I think the better question is does SEMO deserve a seed, if they beat Jax. State?

Big YES to that...

Dane96
November 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The only way to prove it, is on the field, and on paper, they have the FCS' top ranked offense...

Played against.....

Dane96
November 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM

What folks?

I saw them play a horrible opponent. I saw a non-packed stadium.

I saw nothing that scares me. A first round win changes my mind.

Fear the Bird
November 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Is there anybody outside of MEAC affiliation who voted for the top 2 options?

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Is there anybody outside of MEAC affiliation who voted for the top 2 options?

Not every MEACFan is a Homer... xlolx

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I think we might have a chance at a #5 seed, but I really hate to speculate about the playoffs right now. We still need to win the MEAC first. I would like to see our offense get everything clicking again. We have been a little out of sync lately and need to be well polished to finish out the season.

Good Luck to everyone on the rest of the season. This could get very interesting.

Let's Go Wildcats, 9-0 and two to go.

Next up: Howard

+1

Squealofthepig
November 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Average attendance of 7,697 fans - why on earth would they get to host a game?

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Given this, plus a weak SoS, B-C is on the road in the playoffs. Their "#1 ranked offense" actually works against them, as it just proves how weak their opponents have been.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Their stadium only holds around 10K and they had over about 8200 for their Blackout game.

Besides, if B-CU bids enough, they will get the home game, period.

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Their stadium only holds around 10K and they had over about 8200 for their Blackout game.

Besides, if B-CU bids enough, they will get the home game, period.

If SC State (with a 22,000 seat stadium mind you)...couldn't bid enough. BCU sure as hell won't be able too...xoopsx

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Full Disclosure: Option #3; and they might still get sent on the road.

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
If SC State (with a 22,000 seat stadium mind you)...couldn't bid enough. BCU sure as hell won't be able too...xoopsx

I recall reading an article that stated that the SCSU officials made a minimum bid.

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I recall reading an article that stated that the SCSU officials made a minimum bid.

You think that BCU will be able to eat the hefty loss required to make a successful bid? They would have to charge $50 a seat just to even think about covering the loss. xscanx

Crazy idea, using the Citrus Bowl in Orlando xchinscratchx