PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Championship: Wofford @ App State

T-Dog
November 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Kickoff is at 3:00 pm EST and will be televised on SportSouth.

Winner gets the autobid. Wofford can lose and still get a share if they beat UTC, but to receive the trophy on the field in Boone would be sweet. A Wofford win and they get the title outright regardless of the UTC game.

On the line is App's sixth-straight and 11th overall conference title, which would tie GSU's record six-straight from 97-02 and put them one behind Furman's record 12 overall titles.

Wofford won outright in 2003 and then shared with App in 2007 and claimed the autobid that year. A win in each of the next two weeks would give Wofford their third title, tying them with Marshall.

App won 44-34 in Spartanburg last year after being down 34-20 in the 3rd quarter. Two years ago, App demolished Wofford 70-24 on a rare Friday night Halloween game televised to the country on ESPN2. Three years ago, App had it's 18-game winning streak and Michigan buzz ended in Spartanburg by Wofford 42-31. And four years ago in a defensive war, App scored twice early and hung on for dear life to win 14-7 in Boone.

Wofford's last victory in Boone came on Homecoming 2002 by the score of 26-19. App leads the all-time series 16-10 including a 5-1 mark vs the Terriers in Boone since Wofford joined the conference in 1997.

GaSouthern
November 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
This is going to be an awesome game, Wofford looked much better in Paulson than App did but I think App will take this win and win the conference in a close one.

Wofford can win and if App turns the ball over like they did against GSU then App may get blown out by a much better Wofford team.

BarefootApp
November 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yep. Three turnovers in the red zone and lose in overtime says about all there is to know about it. They better clean that mess up this Saturday. Congrats to the Eagles.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Great Game! Looking forward to it!

Achilles Return
November 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
My little brother's going to be there on a recruiting visit.

SuperEagle
November 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Boone is a tough place to play. I'm thinking ASU bounces back.

crabby terrier
November 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Boone is a tough place to play. I'm thinking ASU bounces back.

yeah, i wish we were playing in sparkle city!:(

looking forward to it though! wofford has got to get more consistent offensively.
defense has been playing lights out!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
You know, the last time GSU snapped one of App States streaks there was only one other team to beat them that regular season... Wofford.

CrackerRiley
November 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Time for the arrogant ASU fans to wake the **** up this week. I've gotten sick and tired of going to class and hearing people say "Yeah, I left the game at halftime cause I'm tired or seeing us just blowout everybody." You there buddy, you are not a part of "us" you are not a true fan, so please exit the bandwagon. I heard this twice! And this following the Furman game!
Get the Rock loud this week!

Woof
November 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
When is the last time Appy has lost 2 conf games in a row?... and with the homefield advantage in the 2nd game? Leather helmet days?

This is going to be a huge uphill battle for my Terriers... not to mention we have some TV deamons to exorcise. We are pretty lucky to be where we are at this point in the season and definitely come in as the underdogs. We have not looked sharp for several weeks on O, but have been able to survive and advance, i.e. win ugly, primarily because of our D. With the Eaglets "kicking the ant hill" like they did on Sat, I'm sure Appy will come out feeling like they have something to prove this week. Just hoping we can keep it close and find a way to claw another one out.

Doubt the Terriers need any extra motivation, but if I'm Coach A, I would think about having our guys watch the '08 Halloween debacle film daily this week and post pictures in the locker room of those jackwagons ripping their helmets off in the end zone as they ran up 70 points on us with Coach Moore laughing about it. If you can't get up for this game, odds are that you're dead! Come on Dogs!!!!!

asknoquarter21
November 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
You know, the last time GSU snapped one of App States streaks there was only one other team to beat them that regular season... Wofford.

How did that season turn out for ASU?

proasu89
November 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
When is the last time Appy has lost 2 conf games in a row?... and with the homefield advantage in the 2nd game? Leather helmet days?

This is going to be a huge uphill battle for my Terriers... not to mention we have some TV deamons to exorcise. We are pretty lucky to be where we are at this point in the season and definitely come in as the underdogs. We have not looked sharp for several weeks on O, but have been able to survive and advance, i.e. win ugly, primarily because of our D. With the Eaglets "kicking the ant hill" like they did on Sat, I'm sure Appy will come out feeling like they have something to prove this week. Just hoping we can keep it close and find a way to claw another one out.

Doubt the Terriers need any extra motivation, but if I'm Coach A, I would think about having our guys watch the '08 Halloween debacle film daily this week and post pictures in the locker room of those jackwagons ripping their helmets off in the end zone as they ran up 70 points on us with Coach Moore laughing about it. If you can't get up for this game, odds are that you're dead! Come on Dogs!!!!!

You left out mamby-pamby and that the color yellow makes us sadxsmiley_wix

Saint3333
November 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM

GSU 36 - ASU 20 @ GSU
Wofford 26 - ASU 19 in Boone. The only time WC has beaten ASU in Boone since joining the SoCon.

Happened in 1996 as well (@ ETSU, Furman at home).

History, we must remember it, less we relive it.

biggie
November 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Good to see our opponents fans are still sandbagging, when they are probably favored.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Wow...the ankle-biters might be the only team to win a games in Statesboro, Boone, and Missoula.

Nebuta
November 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Good to see a Top-5 match-up (depending on the polls) late in the season. Should be a good hard-fought game, Wofford going in to Boone is never an easy challenge.

Is it Saturday yet?? Wish this was on ESPN2 or ESPN3.
Good luck this weekend and hope both teams come out of this game healthy.

millwoga1
November 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Good to see our opponents fans are still sandbagging, when they are probably favored.

With all due respect, to me it sounds like you are sandbagging. Wofford is not favored in this game on the road.

biggie
November 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
With all due respect, to me it sounds like you are sandbagging. Wofford is not favored in this game on the road.
Let's see, you beat GaSo, run the same offense with probably better athletes and have a slightly better D than them. App certainly isn't favored to me.

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Let's see, you beat GaSo, run the same offense with probably better athletes and have a slightly better D than them. App certainly isn't favored to me.

While I agree with this completely, ASU should still be the majority pick due to playing in Boone.

I'm starting to think that app will finish the season 0-3 the more I think about it though.

Edge316007
November 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Time for the arrogant ASU fans to wake the **** up this week. I've gotten sick and tired of going to class and hearing people say "Yeah, I left the game at halftime cause I'm tired or seeing us just blowout everybody." You there buddy, you are not a part of "us" you are not a true fan, so please exit the bandwagon. I heard this twice! And this following the Furman game!
Get the Rock loud this week!

Who are you to judge what people do with their free time. Just because someone may be hungry, cold, sick or all of the above and decides to leave a game early does not mean they are a bandwagoner.

I must have missed your 10 commandments of being a fan, oh gracious leader.

Wofford can win and if App turns the ball over like they did against GSU then App may get blown out by a much better Wofford team.

Wait, Wofford is a "much better team" than App or Georgia Southern? I'm not even sure that Wofford is a better team than App, let alone "much better".

Are you kidding me? Absolutely App is favored. If this was on the road, you may have a point. But not in Boone.

I posted my thoughts in the other thread:

To be honest, I think App wins and it won't be close. This past weekend was a wakeup call. It will be very difficult for Wofford to win in Boone.

SC-T-Dogg
November 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Wofford with better athletes......You do not see that in print very often......or ever!

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Wait, Wofford is a "much better team" than App or Georgia Southern? I'm not even sure that Wofford is a better team than App, let alone "much better".

Woff is much better than GSU... this year.

Edge316007
November 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM

That I agree with. But Wofford isn't blowing us out at home. That much I'll predict

millwoga1
November 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Haven't seen anybody predicting a blowout, at least with Wofford winning that is. Only read of a couple people who will even go on record to say Wofford will win.

appstate38
November 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The Apps and the Terriers game just got a little bigger.... Conference Championship on the line and now the top 5 ranking for both.... Man the Rock will be shaking this Saturday.......xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

94Terrier
November 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm certain it will be shakin, rattlin, and rolling this weekend. I am really cautiously excited about this game. If we play Wofford football, we can leave the stadium as outright conference champions. If we don't play a complete game, we can only hope to share the title at best. You guys have another great team.....again. I still have nightmares about our last trip to The Rock. And I really don't like having to play you guys the week after suffering a tough loss in the 'Boro. Looking forward to a great game.

Go T-Dogs

Woof
November 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Huh? You are still ranked ahead of us, you have a fist full of NC rings and you are playing at home where you lose 2-3 times a century....and we are the ones sandbagging?xnutsx

Rekdiver
November 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
After the blowouts Wofford has suffered at our hands you don't think they smell a little blood in the water? I would say there is greater motivation for Wofford.
ASU will have to play its butt off to win this one. The dogs are hungry and I don't like this game one bit. This one will be won or lost by the preparation of our coaches this week, not the players.

CrackerRiley
November 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Who are you to judge what people do with their free time. Just because someone may be hungry, cold, sick or all of the above and decides to leave a game early does not mean they are a bandwagoner.

I must have missed your 10 commandments of being a fan, oh gracious leader.
xeyebrowx
Never said they left because they were hungry/sick/etc. They left cause they were tired of blowouts. In a game that was one possession at halftime...

I'm not leader material but if you insist. xwhistlexxlolx

In my many years as a student here at App I have seen the frenzy of students in winning our first championships to the arrogance of current students who have not been here long enough to witness even one championship. "We just blow everyone out." Oh, yeah how many blowout titles have we gotten in the 3 years you've been here, dude...
Just my thought.

Edge316007
November 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
xeyebrowx
Never said they left because they were hungry/sick/etc. They left cause they were tired of blowouts. In a game that was one possession at halftime...

I'm not leader material but if you insist. xwhistlexxlolx

In my many years as a student here at App I have seen the frenzy of students in winning our first championships to the arrogance of current students who have not been here long enough to witness even one championship. "We just blow everyone out." Oh, yeah how many blowout titles have we gotten in the 3 years you've been here, dude...
Just my thought.

It's still not right for you to judge others so harshly on what they do with their free time. Personally, I love the blowouts and love to see us rack up stats. But sometimes I want to leave the game early because I want to go eat or drink (or both). Sorry if I don't pass your test, but I've been here for 4 and a half years now and have traveled to Richmond, Elon, Cullowhee and Chattanooga.

Now, the people who just use it as a social out and ultimately don't really care, I can agree with you there.

straightshooter
November 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Don't know that I'd say much better, but they are certainly more seasoned with players that have been in their system for three to five years. Wofford has a very upper class starting roster, while GSU is playing with mostly true freshmen and sophomores who have never played in an option offense. On D GSU is playing a lot of youngsters who really aren't ready to play yet. Those who are experienced played a totally different defense last season, so everything to everybody is new.

Wofford will give ASU lots of trouble because of the size of their O line and their experience in the system. The Wofford D is pretty stout, but I do think that ASU will have some success against them. Game is a toss up, but it's hard to bet against ASU at home.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Don't know that I'd say much better, but they are certainly more seasoned with players that have been in their system for three to five years. Wofford has a very upper class starting roster, while GSU is playing with mostly true freshmen and sophomores who have never played in an option offense. On D GSU is playing a lot of youngsters who really aren't ready to play yet. Those who are experienced played a totally different defense last season, so everything to everybody is new.

Wofford will give ASU lots of trouble because of the size of their O line and their experience in the system. The Wofford D is pretty stout, but I do think that ASU will have some success against them. Game is a toss up, but it's hard to bet against ASU at home.

Wofford has only 7 seniors on the 2 deep....

BigApp
November 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Wofford 26 - ASU 19 in Boone. The only time WC has beaten ASU in Boone since joining the SoCon.

a pox upon you for bringing up this game!

straightshooter
November 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM

I think GSU has 2. Should be fun next year.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I think GSU has 2. Should be fun next year.

2 on D for Wofford.....we are younger than any of our other 8 win teams I think

seantaylor
November 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM

How many juniors? Juniors are upperclassmen as well.

yosef1969
November 10th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Depth Chart shows 8 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 sophmores and 2 freshmen starting for Wofford
While GSU has 3 seniors, 9 juniors, 7 sophmores and 4 freshmen listed as starters.
2 deep slants even younger for GSU. Wofford is clearly the more seasoned squad at this point.

asucrutch23
November 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Rematch of the SoCon Basketball championship game. Now let's hope App can do better than a 56-51 loss. It would help not to spot Wofford a 17-3 lead like the basketball team did. Montana fans may remember Cameron Rundles. Kid scored 20 points off the bench to lead the Terriers to victory.

CrackerRiley
November 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Rematch of the SoCon Basketball championship game. Now let's hope App can do better than a 56-51 loss. It would help not to spot Wofford a 17-3 lead like the basketball team did.
Good lord, that game was painful to watch in the first half... What did they score, like 10 in the first half? ahhh!

asucrutch23
November 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM
18, but it sure did seem like 10. Sims and Brand went like a combined 3 for 30 shooting.

millwoga1
November 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah I wish this game was at a neutral site

T-Dog
November 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
ASU IN POTENTIAL SOCON-CLINCHING GAMES
Nov. 8, 1986-----at Marshall-------W, 27-17
Nov. 14, 1987----at The Citadel----W, 27-17
Nov. 2, 1991-----at The Citadel----L, 17-10
Nov. 16, 1991----Western Carolina-W, 24-14
Nov. 19, 1994----VMI--------------L, 26-23 (OT)
Nov. 11, 1995----Western Carolina-W, 28-3
Nov. 13, 1999----Western Carolina-W, 34-10
Nov. 12, 2005----Western Carolina-W, 35-7
Nov. 4, 2006-----The Citadel------W, 42-13
Nov. 17, 2007----Chattanooga-----W, 37-17
Nov. 15, 2008----Elon-------------W, 24-16
Nov. 14, 2009----at Elon-----------W, 27-10

WOFFORD IN POTENTIAL SOCON-CLINCHING GAMES
Nov. 8, 2003-----ETSU------------W, 28-14
Nov. 3, 2007-----Georgia Southern-L, 38-35
Nov. 10, 2007----Chattanooga-----W, 42-16

The 2008 Halloween game turned out to be the de-facto SoCon title game, but these are just the clinching games where a trophy was awarded afterward.

That 94 game for App is probably the worst loss in App history. VMI was 0-10 and the SoCon Championship t-shirts were already being sold......

Woof
November 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
ASU IN POTENTIAL SOCON-CLINCHING GAMES
Nov. 8, 1986-----at Marshall-------W, 27-17
Nov. 14, 1987----at The Citadel----W, 27-17
Nov. 2, 1991-----at The Citadel----L, 17-10
Nov. 16, 1991----Western Carolina-W, 24-14
Nov. 19, 1994----VMI--------------L, 26-23 (OT)
Nov. 11, 1995----Western Carolina-W, 28-3
Nov. 13, 1999----Western Carolina-W, 34-10
Nov. 12, 2005----Western Carolina-W, 35-7
Nov. 4, 2006-----The Citadel------W, 42-13
Nov. 17, 2007----Chattanooga-----W, 37-17
Nov. 15, 2008----Elon-------------W, 24-16
Nov. 14, 2009----at Elon-----------W, 27-10

WOFFORD IN POTENTIAL SOCON-CLINCHING GAMES
Nov. 8, 2003-----ETSU------------W, 28-14
Nov. 3, 2007-----Georgia Southern-L, 38-35
Nov. 10, 2007----Chattanooga-----W, 42-16

The 2008 Halloween game turned out to be the de-facto SoCon title game, but these are just the clinching games where a trophy was awarded afterward.

That 94 game for App is probably the worst loss in App history. VMI was 0-10 and the SoCon Championship t-shirts were already being sold......

Here's to a repeat of the '91 and '94 results! You need a few more L's in this decade to balance things out a bit :)

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Yup, and ASU won the National Championship. That possibility (as well as the SoCon Championship) is still possible.

Skjellyfetti
November 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM

It is every other year. :p

boonedocks
November 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM

haha, buzinga!

94Terrier
November 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I had to laugh at that one.

Nebuta
November 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I wish this game was on ESPN 2 or ESPN3.

Back2theROCK!
November 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
It's still not right for you to judge others so harshly on what they do with their free time. Personally, I love the blowouts and love to see us rack up stats. But sometimes I want to leave the game early because I want to go eat or drink (or both). Sorry if I don't pass your test, but I've been here for 4 and a half years now and have traveled to Richmond, Elon, Cullowhee and Chattanooga.

Now, the people who just use it as a social out and ultimately don't really care, I can agree with you there.

i don't make predictions about app games but i do comment on this topic.
I must say i agree with CrackerRiley on this one. My wife and I along with her parents have been going to App Game for the past 6years. Before that we were going as students at app and her parents have been going for the past 11-12yrs.
So we've seen the good and very bad years. I will say that over the last few years there has started to be more and more of the "bandwagon/fairweather" App fans. While i think the support is great for the university I really can not stand to look over at the end of the 3rd quarter and see people streaming out of the "app" side gates. Regardless of the score of the game it just looks bad on us as an overall program. How many times to do you see fans at LSU/Florida/USC/Alabama; maybe a better expample would be Boise St, streaming out just because their team has a big lead.
When we go to the Rock it is to watch and support the guys on our team, from start to finish and i think that is was we should do.
Now if you are sick/hungry/babies etc..ok I can understand; but there is no way we should have that many fans streaming out before the end of the game.
I guess maybe those fans didn't witness the "Miracle on Mountain", the ingle martin slip, the ingle martin fumble and recovery for a touchdown, the JMU fumble, or even the Oh so close comeback to geogia southern a few years back.
I just hate to have other teams/announcers/fans look at us and be able to say, " WOW look at them running out here already!"

Skjellyfetti
November 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I guess maybe those fans didn't witness the "Miracle on Mountain", the ingle martin slip, the ingle martin fumble and recovery for a touchdown, the JMU fumble, or even the Oh so close comeback to geogia southern a few years back.

Yup. I remember people leaving the Chattanooga game around the end of the third quarter/beginning of the fourth quarter... those were the games that were running through my head while I watched them head out... the game is NEVER over. Anything can happen. Some of my best memories at Appalachian games were from sticking around after it looked like the game was either lost or won.

I don't see why anyone would want to leave a game early to go sit at a restaurant or drink a couple beer at their tailgating spot.

Edge316007
November 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I don't see why anyone would want to leave a game early to go sit at a restaurant or drink a couple beer at their tailgating spot.

Cool, well people do. Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

App-a-latch-un
November 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM

it kinda doesxviolinx

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Depth Chart shows 8 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 sophmores and 2 freshmen starting for Wofford
While GSU has 3 seniors, 9 juniors, 7 sophmores and 4 freshmen listed as starters.
2 deep slants even younger for GSU. Wofford is clearly the more seasoned squad at this point.

We have a lot of underclassmen in the defensive rotation, there is only 2 of about 8 linebackers in the rotation that are upperclassmen, and if Mike Niam was injured a game earlier he would be a technical Sophomore as well. 1/2 our secondary are lowerclassmen, with only one senior. Our offensive line is led by 3 seniors but our center the last 3 weeks has been a R-Fr due to the starter being injured.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM

Speaking on behalf of the school with probably the least "active" fans, It does mean you kind of suck

millwoga1
November 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Wofford's starting center will play saturday after missing two weeks due to broken arm

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Wofford's starting center will play saturday after missing two weeks due to broken arm

Only two weeks out with a broken arm? Hopefully, he won't do any more damage to it by playing this week. Personally, I'd love to see a 100% healthy App play a 100% healthy Wofford Saturday, but that's never going to happen this late in the season.

Back2theROCK!
November 11th, 2010, 07:59 AM

yea..it kinda does!

I like a cold drink as much as the next guy, but it comes after the Game. xnodx

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Speaking on behalf of the school with probably the least "active" fans, It does mean you kind of suck

Cool, well, glad I value your opinion on this matter then xlolx

Seriously, if this board wishes to question my loyalty to this team because I choose to spend my free time in other ways rather than starving in the stands (and I sure as hell am not paying 6$ for a slice of pizza or 3$ for a hotdog), you can kindly **** off. It really is not your place to judge me about being a fan because I'd rather go grab a drink than see us score our 6th TD against Presbyterian.

CrackerRiley
November 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Seriously, if this board wishes to question my loyalty to this team because I choose to spend my free time in other ways rather than starving in the stands (and I sure as hell am not paying 6$ for a slice of pizza or 3$ for a hotdog), you can kindly **** off. It really is not your place to judge me about being a fan because I'd rather go grab a drink than see us score our 6th TD against Presbyterian.
I wasn't judging you. Do what you gotta do. I do all my eating and (heavy) drinking before the game so that I will not need to leave early to satisfy those needs.

AppIAA
November 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM

My view on it is not about watching us score another TD.. but its about cheering the guys who have worked so hard to provide for your entertainment all the way through the game and after the game. You may be a fan, yes. You may be a true fan, sure. But you sure as hell aren't proving it by showing the kids how much you appreciate all the work they do so you can be entertained every saturday!

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I wasn't judging you. Do what you gotta do. I do all my eating and (heavy) drinking before the game so that I will not need to leave early to satisfy those needs.

If I didn't have friends who suck at tailgating and finally start setting up while I want to go in the game then I'd be fine. But I tough it out through the majority of games...except these blowouts against bad schools. Don't get me wrong, I want to them to score every point possible going into the game, but sometimes I just want to go early and eat.

Usually, as a product of going out late Friday, I don't wake up that early Saturday. And as a result of living kinda far from campus, I have to eat something quickly and get to campus almost immediately if I want to tailgate at all (that's if my group is even out there at this point). I imagine there are others in similar situations.

Point is, you can't just paint everyone with a broad brush. People have reasons to leave early. Just because it's a blowout and they're rather see a close game is pretty lame, I agree there. But for the most part, many students are going to get food or drink more or are still hung over from the previous night (or morning's pregaming).

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 09:13 AM
My view on it is not about watching us score another TD.. but its about cheering the guys who have worked so hard to provide for your entertainment all the way through the game and after the game. You may be a fan, yes. You may be a true fan, sure. But you sure as hell aren't proving it by showing the kids how much you appreciate all the work they do so you can be entertained every saturday!

I hope my efforts to travel to Richmond, etc. in the last few years have proven it more than most.

Waco Kid
November 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
If I didn't have friends who suck at tailgating and finally start setting up while I want to go in the game then I'd be fine. But I tough it out through the majority of games...except these blowouts against bad schools. Don't get me wrong, I want to them to score every point possible going into the game, but sometimes I just want to go early and eat.

Usually, as a product of going out late Friday, I don't wake up that early Saturday. And as a result of living kinda far from campus, I have to eat something quickly and get to campus almost immediately if I want to tailgate at all (that's if my group is even out there at this point). I imagine there are others in similar situations.

Point is, you can't just paint everyone with a broad brush. People have reasons to leave early. Just because it's a blowout and they're rather see a close game is pretty lame, I agree there. But for the most part, many students are going to get food or drink more or are still hung over from the previous night (or morning's pregaming).

The problem is people are leaving every game early in recent weeks. Furman was a one score game until late in the 4th yet people were marching out of the stadium at halftime. If I were a player it would tell me that a lot of the "fans" only come to socialize instead of coming to cheer on the team. Social hour is for pre and post game, but once in the stadium it is time to support the team. What really gets me is when I see students who want to find a seat to enjoy the game having no place to sit, and then at halftime half of the people in the seats leave the game. If you're just their to socialize don't take up a seat for someone who wants to cheer on the team.

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
The problem is people are leaving every game early in recent weeks. Furman was a one score game until late in the 4th yet people were marching out of the stadium at halftime. If I were a player it would tell me that a lot of the "fans" only come to socialize instead of coming to cheer on the team. Social hour is for pre and post game, but once in the stadium it is time to support the team. What really gets me is when I see students who want to find a seat to enjoy the game having no place to sit, and then at halftime half of the people in the seats leave the game. If you're just their to socialize don't take up a seat for someone who wants to cheer on the team.

I agree with this, but again those leaving aren't always doing it because they want to go socialize elsewhere. I don't disagree that the atmosphere has gone down a bit in recent years, but you can't just assume everyone leaving isn't doing it for a legit reason.

Waco Kid
November 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I agree with this, but again those leaving aren't always doing it because they want to go socialize elsewhere. I don't disagree that the atmosphere has gone down a bit in recent years, but you can't just assume everyone leaving isn't doing it for a legit reason.

Do you think 10,000 people all happen to get sick, have an issue with a kid, or have an emergency at the same time? Just sayin...

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Do you think 10,000 people all happen to get sick, have an issue with a kid, or have an emergency at the same time? Just sayin...

I question your estimation ability if you think 10,000 people left at halftime of the Furman game.

AppIAA
November 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I question your estimation ability if you think 10,000 people left at halftime of the Furman game.

It was probably pretty close to at least 7k.. i would put it closer to 10k

Waco Kid
November 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Sitting on the East Side I have agreat view of the bank, west stands, and line of folks leaving through the west gate. By mid way through the 3rd I gaurantee 10k had left. No matter the exact figure it was a huge amount.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
It will be a heckuva ball game! Good luck to both teams.

Back2theROCK!
November 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Very well put.
I'm not trying to paint everyone with a broad brush but as someone else mentioned when close to 7k-10k leave in the 3rd it's not because of an "emergency". And the argument about living kinda far from campus doesn't fly with me. We live 2hrs away and our tailgating buddies live closer to 3hrs away.

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Very well put.
I'm not trying to paint everyone with a broad brush but as someone else mentioned when close to 7k-10k leave in the 3rd it's not because of an "emergency". And the argument about living kinda far from campus doesn't fly with me. We live 2hrs away and our tailgating buddies live closer to 3hrs away.

Ok, do you stay up until 3AM+ the Friday before the game, as many students do? I'd wager not.

The holier than thou attitude is getting quite annoying. Cool, we get it, you graduated already.

biggie
November 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
If students can't stay up til 3, make to tailgate by 12 and be in the stadium from 3 to 6:30, then they need more practice. If they only knew how good they have it...

Saint3333
November 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Agreed, these players and coaches spend 30 hours plus a week preparing for the game I certainly can spend 3 hours cheering them on and 1/2 in traffic leaving the game to support them.

theasushow
November 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
non-students also pay quite a bit more to get into the games, I know i want to get my money's worth, blowout or not.

Edge316007
November 11th, 2010, 05:14 PM
If students can't stay up til 3, make to tailgate by 12 and be in the stadium from 3 to 6:30, then they need more practice. If they only knew how good they have it...

We all bow to your greatness.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM

you're the only one who agrees with your sarcasm= failxlolx

MountaineerMania54
November 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Man, you are just digging yourself in a hole. It sounds like you are a student. When I was a student, we would be in line on River St. waiting to get into Raley Lot by 630am or earlier each game day. That was after partying til the wee hours of the morning. Hell, some of us probably shouldn't have been in a car, but oh well. You cannot use the partying til 3am excuse. And sure, you have a right to your opinion that fans can leave the game whenever they want. Just as everyone else can have their opinion that leaving the game makes you less of a fan. Just my 2cents from a recent grad.

AppMan
November 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM

NO REAL FAN walks out on their team during a fight! My son came up with the perfect motto for the ROCK.

30,000 STRONG, SIXTY MINUTES LONG!

Give 'Em Hell Apps!

94Terrier
November 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Would it be possible for you bickering App fans to lay off who is the bigger/better fan crap and let's get back to how we're gonna kick your a$$, or how you're gonna kick our a$$, depending on which side of the fence you're on.

SC-T-Dogg
November 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Would it be possible for you bickering App fans to lay off who is the bigger/better fan crap and let's get back to how we're gonna kick your a$$, or how you're gonna kick our a$$, depending on which side of the fence you're on.

xhurrayxxsmileyclapxxhurrayxxsmileyclapx

Rekdiver
November 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Okay, We are going to kick Wofford's ***. As for the "student".....Lightweight!

AppIAA
November 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Ok, do you stay up until 3AM+ the Friday before the game, as many students do? I'd wager not.

The holier than thou attitude is getting quite annoying. Cool, we get it, you graduated already.

Then, that in and of itself, shows your lack of dedication.. If you can't stay up until 3AM+ the Friday night before the game, and still make it through the entire game, you might want to stop saying up that late.

I too was a student not long ago.. on nights before games, they were more mellow than most Friday nights because I wanted to be able to get up early, make it to the tailgate area, have a good time, and celebrate and cheer the team onto a victory!

I took that "risk" of not partying (as hard) Friday night, because I knew Saturday would include plenty of it and I would rather make sure I can pay tribute to the team THE ENTIRE team!

Applete
November 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM
If I were Edge, I would kick my own @$$.

CrackerRiley
November 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM
The student lottery KILLED the tailgating for me. People don't pull into Raley until 2pm sometimes! I haven't been to Greenwood this whole year after seeing it 3/4 empty for some games last year.
Students just park their cars in Raley and leave! That place was a zoo before the lottery! I loved it.
I didn't win a spot for any game for tailgating this year. A friend gave me theirs for a game a few weeks ago. I could count the number of students in the lot a 1pm with my fingers and toes.
Let the real fans wake up at 7 and put their cars in Raley on Saturdays! Ahh the good old days.

My rant for the lottery.

CrackerRiley
November 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
People better be ready to party tomorrow! I heard someone ask who we were playing in the computer lab yesterday! Wouldn't bother asking if they knew if it was for the SoCon title; they'd probably ask what "SoCon" was.

Also, guys, let's try not to worry what others do with their time. We know what we do with ours and were loud and proud at the Rock on gamedays.

Yes, I am pumped for tomorrow.

Apps03
November 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
both posts spot on. We began tailgating in Raley when you would have to line up before they opened the lot. Raley was packed by 9 or 10am at the latest and it was a great party from then on. Once the lottery system was in place and the spots reserved for Yosef, it went downhill quickly. As for the fans leaving early, if you're focusing on that, you're not watching the game in front of you. Control what you can control and let the rest happen.

AshevilleApp2
November 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM

xlolx But we haven't had a good argument about real fandom in nearly two seasons!

Woof
November 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM
We know what we do with ours and were loud and proud at the Rock on gamedays.

Uh, doesn't that slogan already belong to the group that likes rainbows and dislikes closets? Just sayin.

Here's hoping we give Edge and the others a real reason to leave early!

CrackerRiley
November 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Uh, doesn't that slogan already belong to the group that likes rainbows and dislikes closets? Just sayin.

Here's hoping we give Edge and the others a real reason to leave eary!
xeekx We're* I'm so ashamed....xsmhx

Yeah, I did feel a little "happy" when typing that...

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Would love to see The Rock with about 32K on Saturday....and loud. The Rock needs to be the 12th man on Saturday as these 2 teams should be pretty evenly matched.

Go Apps!!!

Nebuta
November 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Oh I am super stoked. It actually is going to be shown on CSS. Wooohooo.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Here is the CSN blog from Kidd Brewer Stadium:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?110-Multi-Tasking-Wofford-at-Appalachian-State-New-Hampshire-at-Villanova&bt=397

First down for the Mountaineers after a pass completion to the Wofford 29.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
ASU has stopped Eric Breitenstein on the defensive side and is moving with a mix of run and pass on offense. Brian Quick gives ASU a first and goal with a reception at the eight.

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM
It's official. App is back, and they're pissed ;)

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
This game is very much like last year's ASU-Elon championship game, where the Mountaineers shut the Phoenix down early and then took advantage of turnovers to lead big in the first half. ASU is trying to tack on one more score before halftime.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
It's official. App is back, and they're pissed ;)

You knew they would be after that loss to Georgia Southern.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Wofford is lucky to get out of the first half just trailing 24-0. ASU could have scored another 10 points very easily. This is a typical Senior Day performance at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Nebuta
November 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Ouch. This is the first time I have seen Wofford. They looked good on paper, but games are definately not played on paper. This is pretty disappointing because you cant get a great read from this game, other then App St is dominant and Wofford has no passing game, so if you stop the run. You are in great shape. Wofford is in an uphill battle being down 24-0 at half. Good luck

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
worst half of the season for wofford and we have no offense. Our offense is our Achilles heel for the first time in a long time

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
worst half of the season for wofford and we have no offense. Our offense is our Achilles heel for the first time in a long time

Doesn't look like your *D* is hitting on all cylinders, either ...

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/Appalachian/ASU-WC_02.jpg

Don't worry about it --- the ASHLD (Appalachian Second Half Let Down) will get yah back in it xmadx

Nebuta
November 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM
With William & Mary losing this game grows with greater signifiance. Winner controlling their destiny and likely to get home field thru out with a #1 or #2 seed.

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Wofford turns another one over...ASU scores to go up 31-0!

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ouch. This is the first time I have seen Wofford. They looked good on paper, but games are definately not played on paper. This is pretty disappointing because you cant get a great read from this game, other then App St is dominant and Wofford has no passing game, so if you stop the run. You are in great shape. Wofford is in an uphill battle being down 24-0 at half. Good luck

Coming in, Wofford had a good argument for a No. 1 ranking. ASU has just dominated as ASU can. This win probably gives the Mountaineers a top-two seed and home field for the playoffs.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Don't fret, my little pup, Wofford will give teams that don't see this option fits in the playoffs. I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Terriers make a deep run (semifinals or better).

appstate38
November 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
App D is dialed in!!!!!

appmaj
November 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
38-0

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
My question is how much will a loss to Florida hurt them the last week of the season? Would it drop them from the 2 seed. I dont see them getting the 1 seed as Delaware is the best team in FCS.

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
My question is how much will a loss to Florida hurt them the last week of the season? Would it drop them from the 2 seed. I dont see them getting the 1 seed as Delaware is the best team in FCS.

what if they beat Florida? then what?

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Coming in, I thought App's run defense would give Wofford some trouble, but I wasn't expecting it to be this much trouble. Good game for the Terriers to get out of their system before the playoffs. They still should get a first-round bye, if they take care of Chattanooga next week.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
what if they beat Florida? then what?

Maybe they meet Boise State for the BCS (Ha, Ha).

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Maybe they meet Boise State for the BCS (Ha, Ha).

what if ASU and Delaware both lose next week? then who is the top seed?

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Wofford doing nothing to show they belong anywhere near the Top 10...

ASU showing they deserve the #2 spot behind Delaware.

as for if ASU and Delaware both lose next week, the top seed belongs to ASU, IMO.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Wofford doing nothing to show they belong anywhere near the Top 10...

ASU showing they deserve the #2 spot behind Delaware.

as for if ASU and Delaware both lose next week, the top seed belongs to ASU, IMO.

You can't trash Wofford based on one game. They are definitely one of the top eight in my book (I have multiple coaches DVDs of them.

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
You can't trash Wofford based on one game. They are definitely one of the top eight in my book (I have multiple coaches DVDs of them.

Agreed. Wofford is just demoralized at this point. They will bounce back next week just like we have this week.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
what if ASU and Delaware both lose next week? then who is the top seed?

I'd go ASU 1, William & Mary 2, either Montana State or Eastern Washington 3 (depending on the auto-bid) and Jacksonville State 4 (with a win over Southeast Missouri State). I expect Villanova (with Matt Szczur returning and the Cats playing for their lives) to beat Delaware.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed. Wofford is just demoralized at this point. They will bounce back next week just like we have this week.

Teams no one wants to see in their bracket in the playoffs: Wofford, South Carolina State, Villanova (with Szczur back in the lineup).

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I'm not trying to trash them, but they are losing by 40. Remember how everyone was bashing on Jacksonville for their showing at ASU?

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Wofford drops another one, ASU football.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Im sorry but UMass has a much stronger offense then Nova even with Szczur. Delaware has too strong of an offense for Nova to play with them. Their D is not good enough to come up with the big stops. Delaware hates Nova and will do everything in their power to keep them out of the playoffs. I just dont see an upset happening.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wofford drops another one, ASU football.

Thank goodness.

Appalachian has 55 yds in penalties in the third quarter xnonono2x

xnonono2x

xnonono2x

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm not trying to trash them, but they are losing by 40. Remember how everyone was bashing on Jacksonville for their showing at ASU?

Gotcha. And Jacksonville actually was more competitive than Wofford for 2 1/2 quarters. ASU is talented enough that it can do this to just about anyone on a given Saturday (Hey, AGS).

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thank goodness.

xnonono2x

xnonono2x

The SoCon's finest are showing their stuff like always.

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thank goodness.

xnonono2x

xnonono2x

We were doing well before that.....

Mntneer
November 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Anyone heard the status of Cadet?

AshevilleApp
November 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Aside from the awesome defensive showing its good to see Devon back as himself. That is a huge plus for App

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Wofford would beat the everloving $h!t out of Jacksonville

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Anybody know if Brian Kass is related to the ex-QB from EZU, Rob Kass (I think they turned him into a TE this year ...) ??

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Im sorry but UMass has a much stronger offense then Nova even with Szczur. Delaware has too strong of an offense for Nova to play with them. Their D is not good enough to come up with the big stops. Delaware hates Nova and will do everything in their power to keep them out of the playoffs. I just dont see an upset happening.
Yeah, right. You are as clueless as ever. UMass is a good team (even with the loss to Delaware), but they don't have the conference's returning All-CAA QB in Chris Whitney, or VU's OL and WRs. I seem to remember UNH smoking UMass a few weeks back.

On the Nova-Delaware rivalry: It's one of the best in FCS. Nova traditionally plays well at Tubby Raymond Field and with the champs playing for their lives, Delaware is going to get the Cats' best shot. I like Villanova in a low-scoring game.

Reign of Terrier
little brother.....and kass should be starting now I think, Allen can't pitch

Mr. C
Yeah, right. You are as clueless as ever. UMass is a good team (even with the loss to Delaware), but they don't have the conference's returning All-CAA QB in Chris Whitney, or VU's OL and WRs. I seem to remember UNH smoking UMass a few weeks back.

On the Nova-Delaware rivalry: It's one of the best in FCS. Nova traditionally plays well at Tubby Raymond Field and with the champs playing for their lives, Delaware is going to get the Cats' best shot. I like Villanova in a low-scoring game.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
little brother.....and kass should be starting now I think, Allen can't pitch

Allen is just going through a tough stretch. Kass will probably see more action (like Mike Ayers has done in the past in shuttling QBs) as we move ahead.

Say hello to your dad for me, little bro.

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Wofford would beat the everloving $h!t out of Jacksonville

well, personally... I agree 100% with your post.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM

You are wrong again as always. Whitney and Havens are different QBs. Havens has better passing numbers then Whitney but Whitney is a runner and Havens isnt. UMass coming into this week had the number 1 and 3 WRs in yards per game along with the number 2 and 3 rushers in the league. How is Nova a better offense? Please explain. Again you are talking without fact.

appstate38
November 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
What happened to Cadet????

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Allen is just going through a tough stretch. Kass will probably see more action (like Mike Ayers has done in the past in shuttling QBs) as we move ahead.

Say hello to your dad for me, little bro.

no the reason our offense has been to ineffective is because A) he is not a good passer and B) he hasn't pitched well the whole season if he has at all (why EB has so many) yards

edit: and Dad is looking over my shoulder

Nebuta
November 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I think its safe to say 2 things.
1. this game is over.
2. 1/2 of the playoffs will run through the Rock this year barring any upsets. App St is a lock for at least #2 seed in the playoffs even if they lose at Florida. I dont see 2 teams more deserving to push the ASU out of homefield advantage seed. imho

Big ups to ASU.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
some of the starters are still in for app and what seems to be a mostly 2nd string offense for Wofford is moving the ball. Kass for starter imo

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
That was a pissed off App team playing in front of 30K + at The Rock. Glad to see them rise up after a very poor showing at Eagle Creek. I just hope Florida beats SoCarolina tonight so the Apps don't get a pissed of Gator at The Swamp next week.

6 SoCon Championships and counting....

KiddBrewer
November 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I think its safe to say 2 things.
1. this game is over.
2. 1/2 of the playoffs will run through the Rock this year barring any upsets. App St is a lock for at least #2 seed in the playoffs even if they lose at Florida. I dont see 2 teams more deserving to push the ASU out of homefield advantage seed. imho

Big ups to ASU.

I DON'T BELIEVE MY EYES!

a person with a CAA logo as their avatar saying that there are NOT two teams that deserve a top 2 seed above Appalachian State.

big up's to you sir, you're are one of the few that will admit that fact, ever.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
You are wrong again as always. Whitney and Havens are different QBs. Havens has better passing numbers then Whitney but Whitney is a runner and Havens isnt. UMass coming into this week had the number 1 and 3 WRs in yards per game along with the number 2 and 3 rushers in the league. How is Nova a better offense? Please explain. Again you are talking without fact.

I didn't say anything negative about the UMass backs, who are as good a 1-2 punch as anyone in FCS. I said the Villanova offense is better than UMass with Szczur back (remember he was the CAA and playoff MVP last season). I guarantee you that Kevin Morris would take Whitney over Havens in a heartbeat. Make note when you see who gets the All-CAA recognition next week.

Wrong again as always? You are arguing with the wrong person. You're the guy who says his posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched.

dungeonjoe
November 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
no the reason our offense has been to ineffective is because A) he is not a good passer and B) he hasn't pitched well the whole season if he has at all (why EB has so many) yards

edit: and Dad is looking over my shoulder

Dad just took the computer keys from a very dejected YT.

Good game, ASU. You proved your stuff today.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Dad just took the computer keys from a very dejected YT.

Good game, ASU. You proved your stuff today.

Like I said before, DJ and YT, don't lose heart. Win next week and you will be in position for a nice playoff run. ASU and Wofford could very well end up reprising this game in the semifinals.

AppMAN04
November 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I SAID ITS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!! Stop the run and you stop them..........

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I didn't say anything negative about the UMass backs, who are as good a 1-2 punch as anyone in FCS. I said the Villanova offense is better than UMass with Szczur back (remember he was the CAA and playoff MVP last season). I guarantee you that Kevin Morris would take Whitney over Havens in a heartbeat. Make note when you see who gets the All-CAA recognition next week.

Wrong again as always? You are arguing with the wrong person. You're the guy who says his posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched.

Whitney will not be first team all CAA... That will be Delawares QB. Whitney will prob be 2nd team and Havens will prob be 3rd team. I still dont know how you figure Szczur = better then UMass's running backs and WRs.

John Deere
November 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Final S. Carolina - 36, Florida - 14.

Florida must have been looking ahead to App State.