PDA

View Full Version : Week 10 - Which was the biggest upset?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Is it just me or were there more major upsets this week than any thus far?

GaSou took out App State, Rhody took out 'Nova, and EKU took out Jacksonville State. The only thing that could have made it more perfect would have been UNH over W&M, but you can only ask for so much I suppose...

Needless to say the polls will be undergoing so major shifts near the top on Monday. Who is your pick for the biggest upset this week and why?

walliver
November 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I would go with URI.

Appy is better than GSU, but GSU always plays ASU well at home.
JSU, other than the win over Ol Miss, has not impressed me.

theasushow
November 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I would go with URI.

Appy is better than GSU, but GSU always plays ASU well at home.
JSU, other than the win over Ol Miss, has not impressed me.

this would all be correct. NOBODY picked the Nova upset, EKU and GSU were atleast on the upset radar.

Squealofthepig
November 6th, 2010, 11:41 PM
yeah, with the Nova upset, it's a statistical possibility that both teams from last year's national championship won't even be in the playoffs. How's that for wacky?

App State with a road loss is understandable in a good conference; doesn't mean they suck. And JSU could be a statistical blip. Rhode Island smashing Sczar and crew in the teeth was unexpected.

Proud Griz Man
November 7th, 2010, 12:02 AM
????

soccerguy315
November 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Rhode Island smashing Sczar and crew in the teeth was unexpected.

did he play? he's been out for awhile, but he might well be back.

Col Hogan
November 7th, 2010, 06:40 AM
URI...

So our season finale will not be the cakewalk some people expected...

Beware the Rams...

Tribe4SF
November 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Has to be URI. Just look at Terrence Thomas' prediction. He had Nova big, with an upset meter of zero.

theasushow
November 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
yeah, with the Nova upset, it's a statistical possibility that both teams from last year's national championship won't even be in the playoffs. How's that for wacky?

App State with a road loss is understandable in a good conference; doesn't mean they suck. And JSU could be a statistical blip. Rhode Island smashing Sczar and crew in the teeth was unexpected.

so you think Villanova is on the playoff bubble?

Maroon&White
November 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
URI...

Beware the Rams...

Who thought URI was a cakewalk?

Nebuta
November 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah really, but what about JSU? I think Nova and JSU are playing for their playoff lives next 2 weeks.

theasushow
November 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah really, but what about JSU? I think Nova and JSU are playing for their playoff lives next 2 weeks.

That's crazy...considering BOTH teams had Championship aspirations just a week ago........But ultimately I think they both will get in.

jmufan999
November 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Who thought URI was a cakewalk?

um, probably you and everyone else on the planet that's aware of URI's history. i guarantee i could go back in AGS archives and find quotes from tons of people (including myself and probably you too) about what a cakewalk URI would be to play.

Squealofthepig
November 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Nahh, I think they're still in so long as they take care of business (same with Montana). Just interesting that both could miss the playoffs.

Maroon&White
November 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Have at it and good luck.

MacThor
November 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Has to be URI. Just look at Terrence Thomas' prediction. He had Nova big, with an upset meter of zero.

Sorry, TT has zero credibility in the prediction department. Zip. Zilch.

Maine 2nd in the CAA this year?

blukeys
November 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
URI...

Beware the Rams...

I never consider any CAA opponent a cakewalk. Now if we got to play teams from the Big Fluffy Sky??? xnodxxrolleyesxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

LeadBolt
November 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Is it just me or were there more major upsets this week than any thus far?

GaSou took out App State, Rhody took out 'Nova, and EKU took out Jacksonville State. The only thing that could have made it more perfect would have been UNH over W&M, but you can only ask for so much I suppose...

Needless to say the polls will be undergoing so major shifts near the top on Monday. Who is your pick for the biggest upset this week and why?

Wasn't UNH a 2.5 pt favorite over W&M?

lsu2469
November 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Sczcur hasn't played since the third game of the season. Rhode Island already beat UNH and played Delaware tough. So not a major surprise in a tough conference.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
The #1 team got beat by an unranked team. GSU held App. St. scoreless for the last 55 minutes of the game and OT. App averages 39 points per game (before yesterday). Biggest upset of the week was GSU's defense vs. ASU's offense.

VUCats02
November 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
It's not like Rhode Island is a horrible team though. They only lost to a top 3 team in Delaware by less than a touchdown. Yeah, Delaware dominated the game and the score was closer than the game actually was, but they are by no means a bad team.

But yes, Villanova is definitely on the bubble. They have to win vs. UNH and @ Delaware in order to be safe. I think if they win one of the two, they will probably sneak in.

Here's a question - if Nova was going to lose 2/3 at the end of the season, wouldn't it be better to lose against UNH and Rhode Island and win at Delaware? I think if Nova finishes 7-4 with beating Delaware at the end of the season, it would be pretty hard for the committee to leave 'nova out. Still, Nova has dug themselves a bit of a hole here.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2010, 07:25 PM
The #1 team got beat by an unranked team. GSU held App. St. scoreless for the last 55 minutes of the game and OT. App averages 39 points per game (before yesterday). Biggest upset of the week was GSU's defense vs. ASU's offense.

Yep, that's huge!

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Wasn't UNH a 2.5 pt favorite over W&M?

I think you're right. At home at UNH, and W&M playing with #3 QB, Grimes dinged-up and Gottlieb out.

TwoFeathers
November 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I never consider any CAA opponent a cakewalk. Now if we got to play teams from the Big Fluffy Sky??? xnodxxrolleyesxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Yep, I don't think any CAA team is undefeated in the conference. Even W&M, who beat Villanova and Delaware, lost to UMass. 'Any Given Saturday' definately applies to the CAA.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Yep, I don't think any CAA team is undefeated in the conference. Even W&M, who beat Villanova and Delaware, lost to UMass. 'Any Given Saturday' definately applies to the CAA.

URI and Maine are like Miami and Oakland, they can lose half of the games they play in the season, but give them a chance and they'll take out the team that eventually wins the championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
To me, no question it was EKU over Jacksonville State. The Gamecocks had everything to play for and could realistically put an at-large berth in jeopardy with their loss this weekend. What if they go 8-3 and lose their last three games? Do they even make it, even with their win over Ole Miss?

URI and Villanova comes next, but isn't as shocking as the Jax State game since the CAA teams all beat up on one another and URI had already upset a Top Ten team already this year, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that they do it again. As for Georgia Southern over App State, well, I picked that game for starters ( ;) ), but that's a rivalry game and the Eagles have shown that they have some skills to pull off some big wins, especially at home, so even though App was the No. 1 team in the nation I wasn't too surprised. Plus, it's a rivalry game, so anything can happen in those.

HensRock
November 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM

TT isn't exactly in an unbiased position when it comes to Nova.

I think GSU over ASU was definitely the least surprising of the 3 given that this is traditionally a heated rivalry. I think we all knew that a GSU win was at least a possibility.

Rhody is a scrappy team this year! I was impressed when we played them. Definitely not the same ol' URI.
But I was still pretty shocked that they beat Nova. I was also shocked by EKU though. It's close for me between those 2.

Redbirdz
November 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Look for JSU to bounce back.