PDA

View Full Version : Whats next move for Big Sky?

TBirdz
November 4th, 2010, 12:28 AM
With tonight's news of USD joining the MVFC instead of the BSC, I thought I'd throw out something worth considering. As of today, the Big Sky has 11 all-sports members and 13 football-playing. If TCU does indeed go to the Big East which seems very possible, the Mtn West will be left with 9 members opening up the possibility that they look to expand/merge. If a merger didn't occur with CUSA, the two most likely candidates for expansion would be Utah St. and Hawaii IMO. Even if Hawaii isn't targeted by the Mtn West, they have flirted with the idea of going indy. If Montana stays in the Big Sky as of now, that would leave the WAC with SJSU, Idaho, NMSU, LaTech, TX St, and UTSA. Interested to see what everyone thinks the odds are then that the Big Sky picks up Idaho, SJSU, and NMSU to give the league 16 all-sports members and 14 for football.
Although a lot has to happen for something like this to take place, I don't believe it is outside the realm of possibility. Expansion is far from over. The Big East is probably going to add TCU and upgrade Nova soon. There could be a lot of shuffling between the Mtn West/CUSA/Sunbelt, Temple could be invited to CUSA, etc.

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 12:44 AM
If South Dakota does move on leaving the Big Sky with a uneven number of football schools it kills the division setup. The Dakota schools should have never been added unless it was a firm package deal. Fullerton might have jumped the gun on this one.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM
If South Dakota does move on leaving the Big Sky with a uneven number of football schools it kills the division setup. The Dakota schools should have never been added unless it was a firm package deal. Fullerton might have jumped the gun on this one.

But, if any Big Sky schools do move to the WAC, he is protected, though extends the leagues borders eastward.

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM
But, if any Big Sky schools do move to the WAC, he is protected, though extends the leagues borders eastward.

When Montana jumps to the WAC the Big Sky will be a 10 team all sports conference and a 12 team football conference.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:51 AM
When Montana jumps to the WAC the Big Sky will be a 10 team all sports conference and a 12 team football conference.

No kidding. He can still go divisions in football and play all schools once or twice, in other sports.

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I really don't think any BSC schools are stupid enough to be interested in moving to the WAC which is getting less attractive every day. I also don't see any current any current FBS schools moving down or any D2 schools moving up to fill the void.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 01:55 AM
USD had the SL to fall back on. They already had a conference for all their other sports. So they could take a chance, hold conferences "hostage", so to speak, be bold, etc.

UND, on the other hand, had little to work with. They didn't have a SL invitation. They didn't have a MVFC invitation. The Big Sky came calling and they took it. They can't afford to wait around for SL/MVFC invitation. The Big Sky invited them and they accepted. They now only have to worry about finding a home for their baseball team. And don't give the BS, that they are in the Great West. A conference without AQ's in all sports, isn't a conference.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I really don't think any BSC schools are stupid enough to be interested in moving to the WAC which is getting less attractive every day. I also don't see any current any current FBS schools moving down or any D2 schools moving up to fill the void.

Actually the Big Sky conference is looking less attractive for Montana everyday due to scheduling OOC home cash games getting harder. I cant guarantee we are moving up, however your statement no big sky teams are "stupid enough" to be interested in the WAC is WAY OFF there friend!

Montana is already looking at joining the WAC in a big and serious way. After Fullerton adds a couple more junior colleges to the Big Sky UM will be even more motivated to keep on truckin.

Grizzaholic
November 4th, 2010, 06:37 AM
SUU is about to run rough-shod over the Big Sky.

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Actually the Big Sky conference is looking less attractive for Montana everyday due to scheduling OOC home cash games getting harder. I cant guarantee we are moving up, however your statement no big sky teams are "stupid enough" to be interested in the WAC is WAY OFF there friend!

Montana is already looking at joining the WAC in a big and serious way. After Fullerton adds a couple more junior colleges to the Big Sky UM will be even more motivated to keep on truckin.

Yep, Cal Poly, UC Davis and UND are JCs. xcoffeex

HensRock
November 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Fullerton should let UND out of the deal (if they want out with an invite to MVFC). UND is going to be way outside the BSC footprint now alone. They would have to fly to every game. I think the BSC looks more attractive to Montana and other BSC members without the travel to UND every other year.

A 13 team league will be awkward if UM doesn't move to the WAC (I will not say "up"!).
The A-10 had 11 members for a few years and it was strange scheduling. Every year we had a game which was counted as a conference game for one team, but not the other. THe BSC wuold most likely have a similar problem with 13. 12 works well, as the A-10 and CAA have shown.

Big Sky North: PSU, EWU, UM, MSU, ISU, WSU
Big Sky South: UCD, CP, SSU, SUU, NAU, UNC

Play other 5 from your own division every year plus 3 from the other as your 8 conference games. rotate home/home with the other 3 and then switch the 3.
This might even save costs over current BSC scheduling.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
If the MVFC wanted both, we would have offered months ago.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yep, Cal Poly, UC Davis and UND are JCs. xcoffeex

Lol ! Sorry slostang I was really referencing SUU......

Cal Poly and UC Davis are class schools in academics and Poly has had a decent football program for some time.

And ya UND is now "Married" to the big sky for "Better or Worse" for all involved thanks to fulertons lack of making sure South Dakota was on board before haveing them sign on. UND has no were to go and my understanding is MVFC doesnt want em, though thats were they belong with the rest of the Dakota teams.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Having you not been paying attention? There is EVERY indication that Montana WILL NOT accept an offer from that dying conference known as the WAC. If you think the Big Sky looks less appealing, take a closer look at the WAC.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Having you not been paying attention? There is EVERY indication that Montana WILL NOT accept an offer from that dying conference known as the WAC. If you think the Big Sky looks less appealing, take a closer look at the WAC.

Sorry try again Chuck.

Theres every indication Montana IS moving towards accepting a WAC invitation. Process is still moving forward, the WAC is stated they are waiting for us (hint if we didnt think there was a good chance we were going to move they would know already).

This new Big Sky additions of SUU and UND is a total disaster for UM from a scheduling viewpoint I assure you and will NOT PLEASE anyone in the Montana administration if they are still considering staying in the Big Sky.

I would say you need to pay closer attention to the details of the situation friend.

Of course things can change quickly, as we can all see on a almost daily basis.

Time will tell, but its still looking likely for Montana to move. The changes of the last week are actually good indicators of US moving on as well if you think about them and understand the financial implications involved.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Sorry try again Chuck.

Theres every indication Montana IS moving towards accepting a WAC invitation. Process is still moving forward, the WAC is stated they are waiting for us (hint if we didnt think there was a good chance we were going to move they would know already).

This new Big Sky additions of SUU and UND is a total disaster for UM from a scheduling viewpoint I assure you and will NOT PLEASE anyone in the Montana administration if they are still considering staying in the Big Sky.

I would say you need to pay closer attention to the details of the situation friend.

Time will tell, but its still looking likely for Montana to move. The changes of the last week are actually good indicators of US moving on as well if you think about them and understand the financial implications involved.
Who is Chuck?

Others who are more in the know at Montana seem to think a move to the WAC is dead. And even if it isn't, the WAC is already in ICU. Moving to the WAC isn't the smartest thing a school could do right now.

EdubAlum
November 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The WAC is the new Sunbelt.

Walkon79
November 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Fullerton should let UND out of the deal (if they want out with an invite to MVFC). UND is going to be way outside the BSC footprint now alone. They would have to fly to every game. I think the BSC looks more attractive to Montana and other BSC members without the travel to UND every other year.

A 13 team league will be awkward if UM doesn't move to the WAC (I will not say "up"!).
The A-10 had 11 members for a few years and it was strange scheduling. Every year we had a game which was counted as a conference game for one team, but not the other. THe BSC wuold most likely have a similar problem with 13. 12 works well, as the A-10 and CAA have shown.

Big Sky North: PSU, EWU, UM, MSU, ISU, WSU
Big Sky South: UCD, CP, SSU, SUU, NAU, UNC

Play other 5 from your own division every year plus 3 from the other as your 8 conference games. rotate home/home with the other 3 and then switch the 3.
This might even save costs over current BSC scheduling.

Not a bad plan now that USD has bailed.

Shockerman
November 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
USD had the SL to fall back on. They already had a conference for all their other sports. So they could take a chance, hold conferences "hostage", so to speak, be bold, etc.

UND, on the other hand, had little to work with. They didn't have a SL invitation. They didn't have a MVFC invitation. The Big Sky came calling and they took it. They can't afford to wait around for SL/MVFC invitation. The Big Sky invited them and they accepted. They now only have to worry about finding a home for their baseball team. And don't give the BS, that they are in the Great West. A conference without AQ's in all sports, isn't a conference.

Isn't it a virtual lock at this point that UND will be dropping mens baseball since they will have to add men's tennis in order to be in the Big Sky?

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Isn't it a virtual lock at this point that UND will be dropping mens baseball since they will have to add men's tennis in order to be in the Big Sky?

No. UND's AD Brian Faison said with the addition to men's tennis they will do some tweeking to comply with Title IX. Didn't specify what. Back in the late 80's early 90's UND had to drop wrestling due to Title IX.

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The WAC is the new Sunbelt.

As WAC is in 2012 (assuming no more defections), it's below the Sunbelt in quality.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
The best thing for the WAC to do, is to allow Hawaii as a football only member.

Football WAC (8)

Hawaii
San Jose St.
Idaho
Utah St.
New Mexico St.
La. Tech
UTSA
Tx. St.

All Sports WAC: (10)

San Jose St.
Idaho
Utah St.
New Mexico St.
UTSA
Tx. St.
La. Tech
Denver
Seattle

Other options
Utah Valley
Bakersfield

So having a WAC from CA to La. isn't nearly as bad as going La. to Hawaii.

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
If the Big Sky stays at 13 teams for football (I have a strong feeling that UM is headed to the WAC which would leave the BSC at 10/12 teams and 2 divisions work perfect) it will make it tough to split into two divisions. What I think they should do if they stay at 13 teams is have each school have two schools designated as permanent rivals of each school and play them each year. After that rotate through the remaining 10 teams for the other 6 or 7 conference games (depending if they go with 8 or 9 total conference games). This is what the Big Ten does.

Here is how I would designate rivals:

UM: MSU/EWU
EWU: UM/PSU
PSU: EWU/ISU
ISU: PSU/WSU
WSU: ISU/SUU
SUU: WSU/NAU
NAU: SUU/NC
NC: NAU/UND
UND: NC/MSU
MSU: UND/UM
CP: UCD/Sac
UCD: CP/Sac
Sac: UCD/CP

What do you think?

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
If the Big Sky stays at 13 teams for football (I have a strong feeling that UM is headed to the WAC which would leave the BSC at 10/12 teams and 2 divisions work perfect) it will make it tough to split into two divisions. What I think they should do if they stay at 13 teams is have each school have two schools designated as permanent rivals of each school and play them each year. After that rotate through the remaining 10 teams for the other 6 or 7 conference games (depending if they go with 8 or 9 total conference games). This is what the Big Ten does.

What do you think?

Looks good SLO! I would keep the conference games at 8 which would give teams more flexability to schedule FBS, get an extra home game with D2 etc.

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM

What do you think?

Not that I have any dog in this fight, but UNC looks to be the only school hosed with two long distance rivals. UNC/UND is a smart move reconnecting the old NCC rivals. But overall, IMHO this would be good.

BelgradeBobcat
November 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM

What do you think?

I agree with this.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Looks good to me. UND has played most of its games with UNC, MSU, and UM so having 2 of them as rivals would be great.

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Not that I have any dog in this fight, but UNC looks to be the only school hosed with two long distance rivals. UNC/UND is a smart move reconnecting the old NCC rivals. But overall, IMHO this would be good.

Check a map, UNC and UND are the only schools without other BSC schools in their region. Sac State was in the same position until Poly and davis were added.

BearsCountry
November 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
If Montana leaves it could set up like this:

Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Weber State

Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Travel Partners for other sports
Eastern Washington/Montana State
Idaho State/Weber State
North Dakota/Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona/Southern Utah
Portland State/Sacramento State

Or if Sacramento State was allowed to go the Big West, add Utah Valley and it makes even better travel partners:
Eastern Washington/Portland State
Idaho State/Montana State
Utah Valley/Weber State

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
If Montana leaves it could set up like this:

Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Weber State

Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Travel Partners for other sports
Eastern Washington/Montana State
Idaho State/Weber State
Portland State/Sacramento State

If Montana does in fact leave for the WAC, that is the most likely way the conference will go.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry try again Chuck.

What happened to the indications of joining the WAC??

EdubAlum
November 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
boom, roasted!

CopperCat
November 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM
What happened to the indications of joining the WAC??

It was all just propaganda, and it was invented by O'Day.

DSUrocks07
November 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
How about adding Idaho...I'm sure they'll be open to the idea after this game tonight...18,000 seat dome, gives ISU an in-state rival.

biobengal
November 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
How about adding Idaho...I'm sure they'll be open to the idea after this game tonight...18,000 seat dome, gives ISU an in-state rival.

We already have an in-state rival... Weber. xlolx

I Bleed Purple
November 13th, 2010, 02:22 AM
We already have an in-state rival... Weber. xlolx

Since when is getting beat year in and year out a rivalry?

Poly's Brutality
November 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Yep, gotta hand it to the Green Laser - hit this one right, it appears, last week, as respects Montana.....xrotatehx