PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento St Announces 2006 Schedule

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Tough opening month with road trips to Boise, Montana and EWU with sole home game against tough Cal Poly squad...

Sacramento St 2006 Schedule

Sept 2 at Boise St
Sept 16 CAL POLY
Sept 23 at Montana
Sept 30 at Eastern Washington
Oct 7 WEBER STATE
Oct 15 MONTANA STATE
Oct 21 at Northern Arizona
Oct 28 NORTHERN COLORADO
Nov 4 at Idaho State
Nov 11 PORTLAND ST
Nov 18 at UC-Davis

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Games against Boise State and NCAA Div. I-AA playoff teams Cal Poly, Eastern Washington and Montana highlight the 2006 Sacramento State football schedule which was announced today. The slate features five home games and six road contests beginning with the Sept. 2 matchup at Boise State.

The game against the Broncos will mark the fifth-straight season in which the Hornets have opened their season against a Div. I-A opponent. The contest will also signify the first meeting between the two schools. Last year, Boise State posted a 9-4 overall record and reached the MPC Computers Bowl. A former Big Sky Conference member, the Broncos won seven league titles between 1973 and 1994.

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=9809

Hansel
February 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM
2-9 or 3-8 with that skeddie

ucdtim17
February 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Looks like 2-9 with wins maybe over NAU and UNC

Green Cookie Monster
February 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Bet the record, that's always safe.

I say we have a winning season. Big playmaker in Guillory, massive DL being coached by Jim House, he left (last week) the San Diego State DL/Asst. HC position to come to Sac, a real coup, scatback Mole and an aggressive D being assembled by Skipper. Skipper recently turned down the LB position at UNLV, another coup for Sac.

Not to mention a new fieldhouse, http://www.csus.edu/news/images/Broad-site.jpg , being built 50 yds in front of you will add motivation.

I think Sac State has the potential to cause some damage. :beerchug:

SochorField
February 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
If Guillory can stay eligible, he could be dangerous. Tough schedule, Hornets. Got to hand it to them, not shying away from tough opponents...many teams would schedule patsies to climb out of losing ways (and save coaching jobs). Moose has his hands full. Hopefully he can focus on football, and not on academic/disciplinary problems.

Glad to see the UC Davis game moved to rivalry weekend. Hopefully we will be in the new stadium by then.

Aggie71
February 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I agree -

Sac is doing things correctly. We need them to be strong to keep up the local rivalry. The Band - uh has to play for something...

lucchesicourt
February 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM
The rivalry between UCD and Sac State is very important to the growth in attendance at both schools athletic events. If both can sustain winning records and have a playoff birth at stake, I bet it will be hard to find tickets for either's games. I believe, Sac CAN and WILL improve on the field and become a playoff contender (this would be good for both schools). They have been there before, and there is a whole bunch of fotball talent in CA. And, in some ways Sac State has a huge recruiting advantage over Poly and UCD, that being admission requirements are a lot less, giving them a larger group of players available to them.. If Sac State builds a reputation anything close to UCD's and in some ways Cal Poly's they will have a huge advantage in the recruiting wars. Cal Poly is has somewhat of an advantage over UCD and Sac State in that they are located in Southern CA, a larger population, and many like to go to school near their homes. UCD will have the bigger obstacles to overcome on a continual basis. And, They have been doing that by winning, coaching, academics, etc.for the past 36 years. I wholeheartedly expect this trend to continue. Reputation means a lot when it comes to recruiting. Notre Dame has been a good example of reputation when it comes to this. Even when things are going bad there. They still get great athletes to come and rebuild their program.

slostang
February 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM
The rivalry between UCD and Sac State is very important to the growth in attendance at both schools athletic events. If both can sustain winning records and have a playoff birth at stake, I bet it will be hard to find tickets for either's games. I believe, Sac CAN and WILL improve on the field and become a playoff contender (this would be good for both schools). They have been there before, and there is a whole bunch of fotball talent in CA. And, in some ways Sac State has a huge recruiting advantage over Poly and UCD, that being admission requirements are a lot less, giving them a larger group of players available to them.. If Sac State builds a reputation anything close to UCD's and in some ways Cal Poly's they will have a huge advantage in the recruiting wars. Cal Poly is has somewhat of an advantage over UCD and Sac State in that they are located in Southern CA, a larger population, and many like to go to school near their homes. UCD will have the bigger obstacles to overcome on a continual basis. And, They have been doing that by winning, coaching, academics, etc.for the past 36 years. I wholeheartedly expect this trend to continue. Reputation means a lot when it comes to recruiting. Notre Dame has been a good example of reputation when it comes to this. Even when things are going bad there. They still get great athletes to come and rebuild their program.
I agree with all that you said. Do you think Sac has the coach that will take them there? He seems to be a real good recruiter. Will that translate into wins this year for Sac? They have a real brutal schedule.

One advantage Cal Poly has is not only is it closer to So. Cal, it is also closer to the Ocean. San Luis Obispo has some of the nicest weather in the world and is a very beautiful town. That helps a lot in recruiting.

lucchesicourt
February 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I think that Sac State can again become a playoff team, with their current coach. But, it will take time. To become a team, you need to work as a team. This is something the players need to do on their own, IMO. If players are selfish, and not willing to do whatever is necessary to win, then Sac will not succeed regardless of the coach. Players need to work as a cohesive group to succeed. UCD has been very good because of this. Without schollies, and to beat schollie teams, you need to work together. Sort of like brains over brawn. So, if your wondering if Sac can become very good again. I say YES. But, each player must sacrifice individual glory for team success. If you are a receiver, and fail to block for another player, or a RB who fails to execute a fake handoff, etc., this could lead to a play that was unsuccessful when it could have been very successful.

The Fan
February 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I think that Sac State can again become a playoff team, with their current coach.

It's not like we're talking about a long storied playoff history with these guys. They went once, in 1988, and got beat up in Fargo by the Bison just like the Aggies of the 80's.

Big playmaker in Guillory, massive DL being coached by Jim House, he left (last week) the San Diego State DL/Asst. HC position to come to Sac, a real coup, scatback Mole and an aggressive D being assembled by Skipper. Skipper recently turned down the LB position at UNLV, another coup for Sac.

Guillory won't do anything as a freshman, you heard it here first. He wasn't a big time recruit on the offensive side of the ball, the rivals rating was based on his potential as a db. The defensive lineman is a much bigger recruit and could be an impact player immediately. Don't get too excited about Moose's recruiting. Any joe blow at a California university could fall out of bed with 63 rides and minimal admission requirements and field a team full of athletes, the problem has been and continues to be coaching.

House lost his job as ass't head coach job at SDSU back in December so his leaving is no suprise. Why would Skipper even consider a LB spot at UNLV over his DC position? Neither would be considered coups.

ucdtim17
February 13th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Any joe blow at a California university could fall out of bed with 63 rides and minimal admission requirements and field a team full of athletes, the problem has been and continues to be coaching.

Exactly. That is the biggest contrast between UCD and Sac I think - our coaching staff has been around forever (40 years for Arp). Theirs changes every few years and probably will again next year after they finish 2-9 and moose gives up. They need a talented coach and they need to pay the assistant coaches more to keep them around and build something resembling a competitive football program.

lucchesicourt
February 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I agree, but at the same time if you keep replacing a coach every few years you will NEVER win. It takes time for a coach to acrue the talent for HIS schemes. UCD has been doing the same things for years, as all the coaches have pretty much followed the Sochor philosophy at UCD. So, can Moose win? Sure, why not? But. he needs time to build his program. That would be true for any coach, who brings a new philosophy to the field.

OrneryAggie
February 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM
So, can Moose win? Sure, why not? But. he needs time to build his program.

If building a program means recruiting your own son and playing him ahead of better athletes then I know of a few little league coaches who have a big futures in front of them. Moose is a : retard :

Volek consistently out-recruited UCD (and several other Big Sky schools) and had a handful of future pros but he still couldn't produce the wins. Looking at the recent classes at the cali IAA schools I don't think Suc St, even with lower admissions, will be out-recruiting UCD or Poly anytime soon. The only thing I like about Suc's new class is the attempt to get high school kids who will hopefully develop a bit more school spirit than all those transfers they normally get.

That schedule is brutal, facing all the toughest far western opponents and a big IA to boot. I kinda hope they go winless just to get moose out of there.

I wish Suc St success as it will only help better both universities. But I don't see a turnaround in football anytime soon.

Green Cookie Monster
February 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I am not completely sold on Moose being able to coach a winning season either. In his defense, the first year he had to work with leftovers and bad timing as our AD canned Volek with 1.5 years left on his contract. We are not Oklahoma with unlimited football $$$, that kind of firing left the program without legitimate coaches for a year. This is the first year Moose has had his staff and his players. And his last year under contract. If he flubs, look for Tisdale to surface again.

Sac was a power back in the 60's under Clemons, before Davis started its run.

I don't agree with keep a coach forever to see if they can become a winner. Too many programs have first-second year coaches turn things around, Cal Poly, for one. Volek was a loose cannon, for every positive step he took, two meltdowns followed.

SochorField
February 13th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Green Cookie Monster,

What do you think Sac State's record will be this year? And who will the Hornets beat?

(this is not smack, just curious)

Green Cookie Monster
February 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Green Cookie Monster,

What do you think Sac State's record will be this year? And who will the Hornets beat?

(this is not smack, just curious)

undefeated. :beerchug:

OrneryAggie
February 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
undefeated. :beerchug:

so far, you are correct :)

How about 14-1 with the '1' coming on Nov 18?

Green Cookie Monster
February 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM
so far, you are correct :)

How about 14-1 with the '1' coming on Nov 18?

If you have that new stadium up by then, it could make it even tougher to win in Davis. I am glad to see the Ags get new digs. The team deserves it, plus I always hated it when you had to rent Hughes for the Sac game. ;)

Seriously, Moose in his last year, has nothing to 'lose'. I think they will drastically mix up the playcalling from year's past, heard Guillory will be used as an option QB and very aggresive flex defense.

SactoHornetFan
February 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Realistically, I think we have the chance to go 6-5. Weber State hasnt won at Hornet Stadium since 1998. Montana State only has one win at Hornet Stadium and that was in 2002 in the worst officiated call I have ever seen. So there is at least four wins if you include NAU and UNC.

You never know about the ISU game. We have played well in Cheney.

Cal Poly won here in 2004 for the first time since 1996.

And ya just never know in a rivalry game on rivalry weekend.

So at this point, anything is possible.

GO HORNETS!!

GOKATS
February 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Realistically, I think we have the chance to go 6-5. Weber State hasnt won at Hornet Stadium since 1998. Montana State only has one win at Hornet Stadium and that was in 2002 in the worst officiated call I have ever seen. So there is at least four wins if you include NAU and UNC.

GO HORNETS!!

More than likely I'll make the trip down. My oldest son is in Sac (not too far from the campus) and recently informed me that I'm finally gonna be a grandpa in mid Sept.

Go 'Cats!!!

Poly Pigskin
February 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM

GO HORNETS!!

At some point it might help to consider factors other than matchup history. I see three wins on this schedule: NAU, UNC, and a random upset that I'm not going to try to guess. It would be awesome for your program to get turned around, but it's not gonna happen with a schedule like that.

Aggie71
February 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
congrats on the grand - kid...That's probably more important than the game...

However,

What a fine way to go into Thanksgiving... My tummy is full already.

Go AGS!!!