PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Attendance

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
9142 at Dartmouth to see Harvard spoil Dartmouth homecoming. Biggest home D crowd since 1998.

T-Dog
October 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
29,903 in Boone on Black Saturday to see how Furman lost to App State this year.

jlcharles
October 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
6,317 on the Main Line to see Nova win its 15th consecutive game at home. God, we suck.

bulldog10jw
October 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM
11,912 at The Bowl

Redbirdz
October 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
61,879 in attendance in Birmingham to see Alabama State beat Alabama A&M 31-10.

tribefan40
October 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
51,000 at Keenan to see W&M give it up in the fourth.

WoCoTerrier
October 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
10,466 in Spartanburg to watch Wofford beat the Citadel on homecoming.

VUCats02
October 30th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Nova will never have good attendance numbers for football. It's just the way it is. For those of us nova fans who do actually like nova football, we'll just have to enjoy it with the few others who do too! Fifteen wins in a row at home is an awesome accomplishment though, whether it was in front of a lot of fans or not.

jlcharles
October 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Nova will never have good attendance numbers for football. It's just the way it is. For those of us nova fans who do actually like nova football, we'll just have to enjoy it with the few others who do too! Fifteen wins in a row at home is an awesome accomplishment though, whether it was in front of a lot of fans or not.

Oh, I know, but it would be nice to see the stadium filled for a game other than Parents' Weekend...

Last home loss was to JMU on that garbage hail mary. We've won 23 of our last 24 home games.

darell1976
October 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
6238 at the Alerus Center to watch the Sioux break a 3 game losing streak and beat Lamar 31-6. Poor attendance but its a lost season. Only thing to play for now is pride.

VBR_Productions
October 31st, 2010, 08:24 AM
8,605 saw Old Dominion at Hampton.

UNH Fanboi
October 31st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Oh, I know, but it would be nice to see the stadium filled for a game other than Parents' Weekend...

Last home loss was to JMU on that garbage hail mary. We've won 23 of our last 24 home games.

It's a shame. Even UNH and it's ancient stadium can outdraw you guys. What are Nova's students doing on Saturday afternoons?

SFA 93
October 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
Date: Oct 30, 2010 • Site: Nacogdoches, Texas • Stadium: Homer Bryce Stadium • Attendance: 11,435

Seawolf97
October 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
StonyBrook 4017 against Charlseton Southern

superman7515
October 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
6,317 on the Main Line to see Nova win its 15th consecutive game at home. God, we suck.

That had to be paid attendance, not actual attendance, and I have the photos to back that statement up. Haha.

Cocky
October 31st, 2010, 10:16 AM
No official numbers but probably 10,000 this Saturday at Burgess-Snow to watch the Southerners do a band show.

Edge316007
October 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
29,903 in Boone on Black Saturday to see how Furman lost to App State this year.

Felt like it was a lot more (hill was packed again) but I guess not

KiddBrewer
October 31st, 2010, 12:37 PM
Felt like it was a lot more (hill was packed again) but I guess not

i thought it might have been north of 30K as well

appfan2008
October 31st, 2010, 12:53 PM
i thought it might have been north of 30K as well

regardless of the number that was there the part that i was disappointed in was how quickly they left after halftime... but otherwise another great crowd!

slostang
October 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Disappointing turnout to see Cal Poly play St. Francis. Only 7,132. I believe 4 things hurt. Playing a team not many had heard of, weather, students going to Halloween parties and the Giants playing in the World Series.

ODUsmitty
October 31st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Slostang-

Thanks for the kind remarks on our message board. I enjoyed meeting your fans who made the trip to Norfolk, and pleased they left with a good impression.

St Francis is probably a hard team for which to generate excitement with the Giants playing in the WS.

Hopefully, we can return the trip to California and help you guys sell as many tickets as you helped us sell........Good luck the rest of the year.

Big Dawg
October 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM
30,459 in Tallahassee for Morgan State vs. FAMU

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs828.snc4/68817_10150110967117598_177465032597_7576021_64908 03_n.jpg

NovaWildcat
October 31st, 2010, 07:18 PM
It's a shame. Even UNH and it's ancient stadium can outdraw you guys. What are Nova's students doing on Saturday afternoons?

I wasn't there yesterday and only saw the online feed for a few minutes (quality was too poor to tolerate) but Nova's student section is normally packed to capacity - they aren't the attendance problem at all. The last few years student support for the football team has been very strong.

What I did notice was the ongoing problem with our North "away" Stands. I do not understand why they don't put the Nova student section right smack on the 50 yard line. Our attendance looks even worse than it is on TV because all you see are the visitors fans, and the rest of the section is empty. You don't get to see the South stands which are also generally full. Currently you the students are on the campus-side of South stands...put them in the middle of the other side and they have a greater presence and it looks better. Makes no sense why it isn't done - it's not like there's that many season ticket holders there.

McNeese75
October 31st, 2010, 07:22 PM
13,012 in the Hole last night

superman7515
October 31st, 2010, 07:33 PM
I wasn't there yesterday and only saw the online feed for a few minutes (quality was too poor to tolerate) but Nova's student section is normally packed to capacity - they aren't the attendance problem at all. The last few years student support for the football team has been very strong.

What I did notice was the ongoing problem with our North "away" Stands. I do not understand why they don't put the Nova student section right smack on the 50 yard line. Our attendance looks even worse than it is on TV because all you see are the visitors fans, and the rest of the section is empty. You don't get to see the South stands which are also generally full. Currently you the students are on the campus-side of South stands...put them in the middle of the other side and they have a greater presence and it looks better. Makes no sense why it isn't done - it's not like there's that many season ticket holders there.

This is in no way intended to be a slight, but we sat on the home side and did not even know you had a student section. That was the quietest home fans I've ever seen, including playing in high school. There was an 80 year old couple behind us who said they've had season tickets for "1000 years", they had about 10 seats and they were the only two there in their group rooting for Nova, they brought up a bunch of friends from Richmond who were there to see the Spiders. A young couple stood up and cheered and the wife got mad and told them to sit down and be quiet. Again, not trying to be rude, but there was a noticeable group of people who got up and left after halftime with their 7 year old kids who had been playing flag-football for the halftime show. Too quiet, no band, no halftime, and no tailgating... I think I can find a few ways to increase attendance.

NovaWildcat
October 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Again, I wasn't there yesterday so I can't speak to the student crowd. But if it was poor that would be surprising -- we have had a great student turnout the last several years in games not played in poor weather. I think most Nova fball fans would agree with that. I would imagine that you "not knowing there was a student section" is an exaggeration because at the very least there would've been a large chunk of kids in Nova Nation shirts standing the whole game. Unless something was going on campus that I wasn't aware of.

Curious as to why the band wasn't there. Also, there is tailgating now at Villanova. It occurs behind the Stadium and open to the public in Pike Lot (across from the stadium).

As to increasing attendance, the Athletic Dept. does NOTHING to promote Villanova football. The students are generally aware of the team through stuff like Facebook, which is about all of the promotions athletics does, the campus newspaper and whatnot. Also, it's a pretty spirited campus in general. It's not like we can't figure out what the problem is, it's just we're not doing anything to fix it.

jlcharles
October 31st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Again, I wasn't there yesterday so I can't speak to the student crowd. But if it was poor that would be surprising -- we have had a great student turnout the last several years in games not played in poor weather. I think most Nova fball fans would agree with that. I would imagine that you "not knowing there was a student section" is an exaggeration because at the very least there would've been a large chunk of kids in Nova Nation shirts standing the whole game. Unless something was going on campus that I wasn't aware of.

Curious as to why the band wasn't there. Also, there is tailgating now at Villanova. It occurs behind the Stadium and open to the public in Pike Lot (across from the stadium).

As to increasing attendance, the Athletic Dept. does NOTHING to promote Villanova football. The students are generally aware of the team through stuff like Facebook, which is about all of the promotions athletics does, the campus newspaper and whatnot. Also, it's a pretty spirited campus in general. It's not like we can't figure out what the problem is, it's just we're not doing anything to fix it.

Two things. The student section was empty yesterday. I don't know why. But, the band was most certainly there. There had to be something else going on because most of the cheerleaders were also not there.

As for promotions, the athletic department does a poor job of promoting everything, basketball included.

Tailgating has always been permitted behind the stadium. For a while it was stopped in the two lots across Lancaster, but I don't know if that was a result of Villanova only or if Radnor Township had their stupid hands in it.

NovaWildcat
October 31st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Very wierd about the students yesterday. I wonder what the event was?

Agreed about basketball and the athletics dept. It sells itself and thats about it.

Tailgating was a Villanova-decision. Student government was actively involved in creating that. I worked closely with the individuals involved and know it was student effort on that one - the President/VP last year had a lot of pull with Fr. Peter and Andy Talley. It has always existed as you said behind the stadium - however isn't that permit only? Pike Lot has expanded student tailgating at the very least, as well as visitors from other schools.

As an aside, the Pike tailgate is so heavily policed its laughable. The walkup entrances are ALL closed off by some combination of police and public safety. There is only 1 way you're allowed to walk into the lot, and that's the small entrance next to the r100 station. Everyone walking in is ID'd and I do not believe they are allowed to carry in alcohol. For those who drove in, they ID people "randomly" quite a bit and generally give people a tough time. It's not the people that work there, just the general policy which is overly stringent and a bit unneccessary. I know we shouldn't condone underage drinking, but come on to be that rigid makes no sense.

chattanoogamocs
October 31st, 2010, 09:21 PM
A disappointing 11,075 for the Mocs vs Elon (it was fall break, so student turnout was low).

However, I love it that fans are now disappointed when "only" 11,000 show up for a game.

Last season was the best home attendance average for Chattanooga...ever (up until 1997, the Mocs played at venerable Chamberlain Field, which had a max. capacity of 12,000)

This season the Mocs have already eclipsed last seasons record for total attendance and still have another home game remaining.

(it should also be noted that the Mocs have had more fans show up for just GSU and Elon this season than they did for the entire 2008 season)

jlcharles
October 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
To tailgate behind the stadium, you need to buy a tailgating pass with your season tickets. They gave us a tailgating rule card this week. Sometimes, I think that they are intentionally making things more difficult so we stop going altogether and they can axe the program. Heck, they gave out rally towels this weekend, but not at the entrance for the tailgating lot where just about everyone is a season ticket holders!

VUCats02
October 31st, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure there was no "event" other than late night halloween partying on friday night. The student turnout was ridiculous. We're at the point where students will go to 3:30 games, but when they are at 12, sleeping is a priority over football games. Nova does a horrible job of promoting games too. I'm pretty sure 75% of the students did not even know there was a game at noon on Saturday. Some that I talked to thought the game was at 2 and when they found out it was 12, they replied with "wow that's incredibly early." Unless nova actually decides to promote the UNH game, I do not see any better turnout for that one.

jlcharles
October 31st, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there was no "event" other than late night halloween partying on friday night. The student turnout was ridiculous. We're at the point where students will go to 3:30 games, but when they are at 12, sleeping is a priority over football games. Nova does a horrible job of promoting games too. I'm pretty sure 75% of the students did not even know there was a game at noon on Saturday. Some that I talked to thought the game was at 2 and when they found out it was 12, they replied with "wow that's incredibly early." Unless nova actually decides to promote the UNH game, I do not see any better turnout for that one.

Yeah, you have a better chance of seeing Talley streak out of the locker room than that happening.

NovaWildcat
October 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Villanova's basketball home opener is the night before the UNH game. I'd imagine that will have a positive impact on student turnout for the football game.

Noon games are early and unneccesary unless tied to major TV revenue. In any case - I think we can all admit here that student attendance is not the issue. Besides this game, it really has been great. Even if the student section was full, that's an additional 1k if that? The attendance would still be horrible and there still wouldn't be any one on the north side.

jlcharles
October 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I prefer noon starts. The whole day isn't lost to the football game. I'm probably in the minority though.

seantaylor
November 1st, 2010, 12:03 AM
15K announced at GSU, but there wasn't more than 10K there. Our AD is a piece of work. He under reports or over reports to suit his fancy. There was about 25K vs Wofford, but he doesn't want any talks of expansion because he doesn't like to work, so he hedged. Just like this game.

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
I prefer noon starts. The whole day isn't lost to the football game. I'm probably in the minority though.

Probably so, in the south college football is an event. Most of us, well my friends and myself and a lot of other people like to make a day or weekend out of it. It is a great time (weather permitting) to get together with old friends for good food, drink, and college football. Nothing like it. Our fall is planned around college football.

VBR_Productions
November 1st, 2010, 07:11 AM
This is in no way intended to be a slight, but we sat on the home side and did not even know you had a student section. That was the quietest home fans I've ever seen, including playing in high school.

I saw this game on Comcast. I wasn't sure whether it was poor production quality or just the lack of rowdy fans, but there seemed to be absolutely no noise coming from the fans. You could hear them when touchdowns were scored but Richmond didn't seem to have problems communicating on offense.

AppStsGr8
November 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
61,879 in attendance in Birmingham to see Alabama State beat Alabama A&M 31-10.

Legion Field?

AppStsGr8
November 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM
Probably so, in the south college football is an event. Most of us, well my friends and myself and a lot of other people like to make a day or weekend out of it. It is a great time (weather permitting) to get together with old friends for good food, drink, and college football. Nothing like it. Our fall is planned around college football.

Agreed. I like the 3:00 / 3:30 starts because it makes tailgating just perfect ... start cooking in the morning for a noon-ish serve 'em time, plenty of time to get ready for the game with lots of discussions about who's hot and who's not. Plus, the 3:00 / 3:30 start allows plenty of time to enjoy post-game football activities and still make the 2 hour drive home. It's definitely a whole day event. There's nothing like a football Saturday.

superman7515
November 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM

Sorry, wasn't an exageration. We truly did not know there was a student section. One of the students was sitting over near us and gave us one of the rally towels that was handed out and he also commented on the lack of student attendance Saturday.

The band was there, I was simply commenting on how it was incredibly small. Their "halftime show" was playing some of Iron Man by Ozzy, the Spiderman theme song, another song I'm guessing was related to Villanova, and then they were gone and it was an elementary school flag-football game. The cheerleaders/dance team/flag squad members looked to have the band outnumbered 2-1.

As for the tailgating, we weren't aware there were seperate lots until after we were parked in the first lot. The signage as your coming up just says parking is at the next two lights so at the first light we turned in and as we walked out on Ithan St (?) we saw there was a second lot that allowed tailgating. Some prior signage would be helpful although if you're going to tailgate most fans are probably already aware. As first time visitors, we weren't.

And it wasn't the feed VBR, it truly was that quiet there. When Richmond tried to rally and got off the fake punt, the 500 Richmond fans on the opposite side got louder than the Nova section did all day. Nova had plenty to get excited about and played a good game, they were dominating for most of the day, but at least the section we sat in on the home side 50 was silent except the occassional polite applause. I'll have to get up to a 3-3:30 game in the future that hopefully has better student attendance and see if the atmosphere is different.

Cocky
November 1st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Legion Field?

Yes

noogamoc
November 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
11,075 made it out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to watch UTC and Elon at Finley Stadium and Davenport Field. Broke the season total attendance record with one home game still remaining.

jlcharles
November 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
We don't have a real marching band. They're quite pathetic actually. I've heard others describe them as a pep band. They're more suited to basketball I guess. The school wouldn't even send them down to Chatty last year. We had band members sitting behind us. They would have been way outclassed by Montana's band anyway.

Villanova doesn't support football and those of us that are football fans know this and have come to accept it. The only game we pack is Parents' Weekend. We can't even get people to go to the game on Homecoming.

AppStsGr8
November 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
Yes

When Legion Field was built, my grandfather purchased two seats on the 50 yard line. The rights to those seats were passed to my uncle when my grandfather died in 1975. I'm glad the old beauty is still in play - lots of great memories there.

glsjunior
November 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
15K announced at GSU, but there wasn't more than 10K there. Our AD is a piece of work. He under reports or over reports to suit his fancy. There was about 25K vs Wofford, but he doesn't want any talks of expansion because he doesn't like to work, so he hedged. Just like this game.

Y'all moan about this all the time. You mean that your AD deliberately plays with attendance numbers just so that he won't be forced into an expansion discussion, a move which would theoretically create more revenue for the program? I think a better explanation is that visual estimates of attendance are stupid and that there probably isn't a valid reason to expand Paulson at this time.

Cocky
November 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
When Legion Field was built, my grandfather purchased two seats on the 50 yard line. The rights to those seats were passed to my uncle when my grandfather died in 1975. I'm glad the old beauty is still in play - lots of great memories there.

My father had 4 of the old stadium seats (or whatever they called them). He would make us go watch UAT all the time. Sure glad I don't have to watch them anymore or go to Legion Field very often.
The upper deck has been removed so this is capacity or very close. The Majic City Classic is probably the only event left that fills the stadium. Hopefully the city will build a new stadium and this event can be played in a stadium it deserves.

JSU02
November 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
My father had 4 of the old stadium seats (or whatever they called them). He would make us go watch UAT all the time. Sure glad I don't have to watch them anymore or go to Legion Field very often.
The upper deck has been removed so this is capacity or very close. The Majic City Classic is probably the only event left that fills the stadium. Hopefully the city will build a new stadium and this event can be played in a stadium it deserves.

I had actually never heard of those "Stadium Certificates" until a few weeks ago while reading the UAB forum (i went to med school there, so just a casual interest in the blazers). The city sold them as a means to pay for construction/renovation and entitle the owner to seats at any event held at Legion Field. My understanding is you have to speak up for the seats a week ahead of time, or the city can sell them at will call. The 2005 JSU/UAB game was the first with the upper deck removed. Capacity is now 71,594. [/end tangential rant]

Bigmoneymike
November 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Miss Valley @ Texas Southern 7,016
Southern @ Alcorn St 18,075 (this could have been a lot more had the professional tailgaters actually went into the game)

Prairie View @ Jackson State 23,701
UAPB @ Grambling State 29,373
Alabama State @ Alabama A&M 61,879

Was this JSU and Gramblings Homecoming crowds?

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 2nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Miss Valley @ Texas Southern 7,016
Southern @ Alcorn St 18,075 (this could have been a lot more had the professional tailgaters actually went into the game)

Prairie View @ Jackson State 23,701
UAPB @ Grambling State 29,373
Alabama State @ Alabama A&M 61,879

Was this JSU and Gramblings Homecoming crowds?
xlolx @ the professional tailgaters, but what do you expect with SU's record. Plenty of Jags still make the trips, but like you said they all didnt go into the stadium.
Grambling's homecoming is this week.

Bigmoneymike
November 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
xlolx @ the professional tailgaters, but what do you expect with SU's record. Plenty of Jags still make the trips, but like you said they all didnt go into the stadium.
Grambling's homecoming is this week.

Thats true. That game was painful to sit thru until the end of the third quarter.